Llynara's Loony Bin (WIP Thread)

Comments

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Thanks! That's SAV's Athena hair. It's gorgeous! Most of SAV's hairs can be used on any character and they really look good.

• NathNath Posts: 2,713

That looks awesome:)

edited March 2017

Thanks, Nath! Here's V3 and V7 together as Valkyries. I need to tweak a few things but I like how it's coming along. I retextured the large hammer from RDNA's Armory set that I got for .21 the other day. They're standing on one of The Armory stands too. I might have gotten carried away with Ron's fog brushes. I was trying to hide an issue with the feet. LOL I should probably just fix it instead! And those fur boots. OMG, they render so great in Iray! So yeah, I'll fix the feet so I can show off the fur.
    (click for much bigger pic)

Valkyries.jpg
    1334 x 1581 - 1M
    Post edited by Llynara on
    edited March 2017

Found a very interesting tutorial on the Cross Dresser website about fixing converted clothing that breaks when posed: http://www.evilinnocence.com/xd-pose-fix-tutorial/

I had this problem on the collar of the The Marquis for M4's shirt, when I autofit it to G2M. I'm about to try fitting it to G3M for my next book cover and will probably have the same issue. The instructions are for Poser. I'm going to see if I can find a way to fix it in DAZ. If not, it's either Photoshop or use a different shirt. I've learned more about DAZ and 3D art since I first tried a year ago, so we'll see how that goes.

EDIT: I have no idea what I'm doing. Looks simple enough in Poser, but I'm trying to do this in DAZ. At some point I'll figure it out.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Did you just put the default iray shader on the outfit? I'm surprised at the fur on the boots! They look pretty good!

I really need to stop reading this thread - it makes me want to drag out my old V3 character by samildinach which were AWESOME and do some renders...when I am really behind on other art I should be doing. LOL 

Llynara said:

Thanks, Nath! Here's V3 and V7 together as Valkyries. I need to tweak a few things but I like how it's coming along. I retextured the large hammer from RDNA's Armory set that I got for .21 the other day. They're standing on one of The Armory stands too. I might have gotten carried away with Ron's fog brushes. I was trying to hide an issue with the feet. LOL I should probably just fix it instead! And those fur boots. OMG, they render so great in Iray! So yeah, I'll fix the feet so I can show off the fur.

Hee hee, glad you're enjoying it. I would love to see some of those characters. I haven't heard of that PA. Is he or she still around?

And yes- that's just a default Iray shader. I love how that fur renders. That whole outfit is really well made. Love all the morphs, the textures, the great lines. One of my favorites.

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

That's an awesome piece, Llnara-well done!

Samildinach did the most incredible unique characters for V3 - then a few for V4...then kinda disappeared. :( Saddened me cos I was desperate for him/her to create their magic for G3. Still has a store at rendo tho - can't link it but search for _samildinach_ there and you'll see.  

Llynara said:

Hee hee, glad you're enjoying it. I would love to see some of those characters. I haven't heard of that PA. Is he or she still around?

And yes- that's just a default Iray shader. I love how that fur renders. That whole outfit is really well made. Love all the morphs, the textures, the great lines. One of my favorites.

edited March 2017

Thanks, jaki! I found a couple here, not much though: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?uid=42236

Thanks, Darwin! It still needs a little tweaking but I'm happy with how it's turning out. That one came together quickly too. I love it when it flows well and there's not a total uphill battle getting it done. 

yeah a lot of the products went into clearance - they get removed from the store after they've been in clearance for a while unfortunately.  

Llynara said:

Thanks, jaki! I found a couple here, not much though: https://www.renderosity.com/mod/bcs/?uid=42236

Thanks, Darwin! It still needs a little tweaking but I'm happy with how it's turning out. That one came together quickly too. I love it when it flows well and there's not a total uphill battle getting it done. 

edited March 2017

Speaking of uphill battles...

Upcoming Kat & Mouse Cover- very rough

Ok, so Hugh refuses to be a G3M or wear anything but The Marquis for M4. I've tried so many different outfits and nothing else looks as good. The problem is the darned collar crumples up badly when it is autofitted. Things I might try:

• fitting the shirt manually (could be a nightmare)
    • fitting to an M4 or Genesis and then fitting to G2M
    • fixing the collar in Poser and saving it, then importing to DAZ
    • figuring out how to fix the blasted thing in DAZ
    • turning off the damned collar
    • rendering the cape separately
    • rendering the collar separately from an M4

I really like smay's new cape, but it's clashing with the crazy collar. Wish I could hide the front portion entirely and just have the back flowing out. There are plenty of other things to tweak in this render as well. The background won't be the final one, just threw something behind him. I'm about 50 renders away from having a book cover but slowly getting there. And I haven't even started to tackle the typography challenges that this title brings.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

A lot of the earlier clothing sets are very well done and have a ton of stuff with them. I'm looking forward to getting a bunch of them converted up through the generations. Can't help on the colr except to ask if you have tried hiding just the collar, might be able to hide the *neck* or something similar.  Sometimes it works, sometimes, not so much lol.

edited March 2017

There's always Photoshop too, LOL. Here's some earlier concept art with the collar photoshopped. This was about a year ago, when I couldn't render at all in Iray, so it's in 3Delight. Fraser Hair takes forever to render in that engine (looks great though!)

Wow that hair really does look great in 3delight

I tried Marshian's new Reflective Radiance on this scene and had to stop because after an hour, the top of the hair still hadn't finished rendering. I wanted to see what the FauxRay settings would look like. I need to read more. It's been a while since I was in 3Delight and I don't know what I'm doing yet with that product.

A lot of the earlier clothing sets are very well done and have a ton of stuff with them. I'm looking forward to getting a bunch of them converted up through the generations. 

I picked up quite a few oldies but goodies yesterday. Every time there's a storewide sale, I grab something from Luthbel and Uzilite. They're two of my favorite PAs for men's clothing and rarely go on sale. I have some M3 sets to render soon from Uzilite that still look incredible.

edited March 2017

Better: different cape, front of it hidden. Now I just have to deal with the collar, which doesn't look too bad here. I still don't like the glowy ball. I miss the serpio shaders from the 3Delight version. I do like the reflectivity of the first cape better. Will see if I can duplicate that.

I also slimmed him down slightly. I notice the M4 clothing tends to add bulk. Hugh is tall and elegant, which is also why I have to be so careful about the clothing lines and hair styles on him. Most of the male clothing is designed for more muscle bound guys.

edited March 2017

OMG, one of my pictures was featured in this week's Renderosity Newsletter highlighting DAZ users!

What a nice suprise to open that up and see it there. It's my violin angel: 

featured pic.JPG
    728 x 870 - 93K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    Llynara said:

OMG, one of my pictures was featured in this week's Renderosity Newsletter highlighting DAZ users!

What a nice suprise to open that up and see it there. It's my violin angel: 

That is a nice surprise.  Congrats!  :)

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071

Congrats!

That's great Llynara congrats!

I just realized that anyone can have a gallery over there.  Why did I not know this lol

edited March 2017

Thanks, everyone! First time I've been featured anywhere. 

I like the Rendo galleries. Very different from DAZ, but I use products there too and wanted to link to them. So now I post on both, and I really need to post on Deviant Art at the same time. I link the Rendo products there and the DAZ products here, listing everything on both. Seems to be helpful. And there's the gallery previews on the products too over there. So if you link a product, you'll see your images in the gallery tab on that product. I love that feature! 

That's cool, I have a fair amount of stuff from Rendo, some absolutely beautiful V4 characters and jewelry as well as some great props. will have to start posting over there too I always feel bad I can't link some stuff from here cause its from over there lol.

edited March 2017

That's exactly what led me to posting on both, and then people really liked that over there in the comments, so I try to list and link as much as I can. It's one of the best ways I know of to support the PAs (other than owning their entire stores, LOL)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I just realized that anyone can have a gallery over there.  Why did I not know this lol

Many of us had Galleries at Rendo before Daz even had forums.  A lot of the newer members don't realise that originally Rendo was a community site (ie forums etc) and had a store in order to "pay the rent", whereas Daz 3D was a store first and foremost,  and forums were added later for the benefit of the customers.  In fact the PC was started before Daz had forums.

@chohole Thanks for the background, I didn't realize that. I've only been in the 3D art community for a little over a year, and enjoy hearing about the history of both sites. As I'm going through the older content, especially V3 and M3 stuff, I'm saddened to find a lot of it discontinued. I guess that's progress! But I know there are some people around here who must have fabulous collections of those older items that are no longer available. I'm always happy to find a couple that are still around. I'm trying to render as many as I can. 

• ALLIEKATBLUEALLIEKATBLUE Posts: 2,959
    Llynara said:

This is gorgeous. Which is the v3 character? Both are lovely The face on the little blonde is exquisite.

Thanks, Allie! V3 is the taller one in brown. The smaller one is Gwennili for V7. She does have fantastic features! Kayless did a wonderful job on her.

Working with M3 today! The ladies are lonely, it was time.

Here's my first test render wih him in Uzilite's gorgeous Sade for M3. It's a unique and gorgeous outift that has never been made for other generations. Not all the textures convert well to Iray, but it's one that makes me seriously think about learning how to texture stuff so I could create some new ones. The only other outfit that looks even comes close to this is Uzilite's Marquis for M4, which is also a stunning piece of work. I've been slowly picking up Uzilite's stuff as it goes on sale (which is not that often.) I really wish this PA was developing items for newer generations but having fun playing with the older stuff. All of the outfits are beautiful, have tons of morphs and are designed to work together to create a wardrobe. Very innovative and fun. I wish this was being done for M7! 

Hair- He's wearing Marios Hair by Neftis. I have an extensive collection of old Neftis hairs I picked up for M4. I'm thrilled to see that most have fits for just about all of the Generation 3 figures. I found the OOT Shaders are too soft for some of them, so I'm playing with others. I think these are the IDG shaders. 

Skin- Let's face it, M3 and V3 look like space aliens loaded out of the box. Their default skins look pretty bad. I used the Hi Res skin from the M3 Universal Texture Pack instead. It's got some great settings and is actually many skins in one because you can change the skin tone. There are ten options for that, and I'll show more of them in upcoming renders. The eyes looked very flat, so I stole some from Christian's texture. We'll see him next.

Morphs- default M3