Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

Winning number is 53!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I will second the light manager pro as well.  Very useful tool if you adjust your lights a lot or use a lot of different lights.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

Cool. Thanks for the input!  I got the light manager and expect it will be useful. I exercised a little self-control and will wait on the rain products until the discount is better.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2017

Threw the DA Horse and Rider Pose set in my cart automatically... Looked at it. Removed from cart. WTB a pose set from someone who actually rides horses and knows what they are doing or does their homework. I may look at it again to see if any of the poses are redeemable once my digital horse's back quits hurting.

Okay, maybe I'm being too hard on it, but this is a pet peeve of mine. The presets are badly positioned on the horse's back. However, it looks as if the stand-alone poses would be easy enough to reposition on the horse and/or horse and saddle. 

Color me grouchy from this archaic time change.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited March 2017

Did anyone buy Inked Vol.12: The Full Bodysuit for Genesis 3 Male(s) by @ShanasSoulmate? This is the first "Inked" product I've purchased, and I'm sad to say, I am disappointed in it.

The very first render I tried it on, showed a sharp seam line on the right arm and leg. It looks very unrealistic. And that blue fuzziness in the armpit looks bizarre. Does anyone tattoo their armpit? (Yes, it is part of the Inked tattoo, not body hair on the character skin.)

The second disappointment comes from the statement on the product page that says "Different styles, different sizes and both color and black and white, Inked Vol. 12 is all you need to give your renders an unique look!" Well, that is not true, as far as I can see. There is only one pattern, no different styles. There are no different sizes. There are no black and white options. All you get is one tattoo pattern. The only option you have is to apply it to the full body or to individual parts of the body. I'm going to submit a help request about these issues.

Edit: I never render nudes, so I hadn't checked to see how it handles the area around the "anatomical elements". I went back to check. The answer is - very poorly. There are tattoos on the body in the area that will be covered by the anatomical elements, where they connect to the body. When the anatomical elements are applied to G3M and the full bodysuit tattoo is applied, it puts no tattoo on the anatomical elements. You end up with anatomical elements that don't blend into the tattooed skin at all. Inked is unusable for nude renders. Of course, I can't show it here.

Edit: Request #239325 submitted.

arm seam linesleg seam lines

Inked Vol 12 arm seam lines.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 501K
    Inked Vol 12 leg seam lines.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 484K
    Inked vol 12 store page wrong.jpg
    899 x 1209 - 545K
    Post edited by barbult on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I bought Inked 12 for G3M.  I haven't had a chance to load it up yet.  I've only ever bought the partial tattoos from this vendor before.  First time getting a whole body tattoo from them, I think.  Looks a little disappointing.  I'll load mine up once my current render is done and see if I have the same issues.  That armpit does look a little strange.  While I have seen one tattooed armpit on one singer, it looked way better than your render there.  Still, a strange place to get a tattoo but it does happen.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I was just checking out the promos for that product since ready @Barbult's post.  If you look closely a couple of the promos seem to suggest a distinct line while other promos of the same leg don't seem to have a line.  I'm wondering if there was a mixup with mats or something.  It's very strange to have such a distinct line in the middle of a tattoo like that.

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Number 53 is Ice Dragon Art!  Congrats and I'll be PMing you the code for the $5 gift card. Thanks to everyone who gives us their top picks for products rendered last month, I know I'm giving some things a second look that I didn't get the first time. Render away for March! 

Take a peek at Ivy's Island Girl Catches Crab.  Some really cute moments in there, and the camera angles are well thought out. I love the way she stumbles a bit in the water and the crab showing his displeasure. (You'll see!)  

Daz is really making these sales harder than they have to be. But if you're trying to participate, in the Vehicle section, do the price from lower to higher, uncheck Hide What I Own, and put two freebies in your cart. Although I personally went for the adorable 3D Universe Toonmobile (for only 2.51) and the Elegance package for 2.18.  Think outside the box- this is a GREAT kid's toy to sit on a shelf or have them hold!

So you're paying between 31% and 32% on new releases today, in case you haven't figured it out. (When you buy two vehicles, aka put two free ones in your cart.)  So can't complain that the MM isn't giving you good deals.

edited March 2017

Anyone else finding the Day At The Office jacket a bit short? Edit- well, I'm thinking more along business suit jackets, not just regular jackets. So just ignore me.

Post edited by Novica on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091

I've just stuffed my cart with new releases and two free ex-RDNA vehicles - that's a pretty good deal today! (Makes up for missing out on the GC benefit yesterday - I didn't manage to juggle my finances in time to buy a second GC in two days!)

Hey, did  anyone else notice they've changed the messages? Now instead of just getting the link to go to it, we get the message (like it used to do!) 

• Novica said:

Anyone else finding the Day At The Office jacket a bit short? Edit- well, I'm thinking more along business suit jackets, not just regular jackets. So just ignore me.

That was my reaction, but I did consider it might be the effect of the untucked shirt  cinfusing the eye as to height.

Just so you know, Daz has changed the discounted price on that jacket-. People are showing me screenshots of what they paid so we can compare, and they were getting 82% off that new release just a few hours ago. With the same things in the cart, what shows as 5.50 for that Day at the Office Outfit for me right now was 4.58 and 82% off. Not cool Daz.

I have to ask, what free vehicles?

edited March 2017

Enter via the vehicle link, then you HAVE to uncheck Hide What I Own. When you select the price Lowest To Highest, three will come up. Handy to know for other sales. Thanks to DvoraszeniaStudios for reminding me to Hide What I Own. I was like, "Duh. I knew that." 

http://www.daz3d.com/rdna-greyling-ufo

http://www.daz3d.com/darcassian-rocket-bike

http://www.daz3d.com/white-label-taxi

Post edited by Novica on

oh wait I won? Wow thank you!

oh wait I won? Wow thank you!

You're welcome! They sent me two codes as usual for the g.card so as soon as I get told which is correct (because obviously I can't test it) then I'll send you the code via PM.

Novica said:

That was my reaction, but I did consider it might be the effect of the untucked shirt  cinfusing the eye as to height.

Looking at the morph list, I'm not liking those very much. Nothing to do anything with the length of the shirt (except raising the sides UP, and nothing for the front)  or the jacket. There's no adjustment for the shoulders either (or waist, it's just chest and torso. Is torso the waist?)  If it had something for the front, we could undo the limits in parameters by clicking the cog, but not if the front doesn't have a morph slider. 

edited March 2017

I hear from PAs about how particular QA can be on promos, so why are these used- dark backgrounds with dark outfits for the main promo?  That lady in maroon all but disappears in the gallery-sized version. (Don't look at the product page, go to the gallery and look at it.)  I'd suggest to vendors - light your promo images because if we can't see the POSE for a pose product, we might not click on it to go to the product page. Only the woman on the far right really shows the pose, due to the lighter background panel. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552
    Novica said:

I'm afraid the jacket and the way it makes the arms look just reminds me of a t-rex dinsoaur. Maybe his jacket shrank in the wash?

edited March 2017

With the vehicles, Bonus Buyer discounts- FWSA Cosima (Genevieve 7) is a Daz Original and starts at 58% off, so she drops down to $3.95. Her upper lip is interesting, I'll tweak that a bit, but if you want a different skin and like those eyebrows, you can put her materials on another character. The price is right!

MRL Evalina is $8.80   Lovely work by Mihrelle as usual.

The Horse and Rider Pose set-  yep, you need to reverse the feet on some of those if you want to be "proper," aka the heels go DOWN to put the grip strength into your calves and contact with the horse (without squeezing, otherwise it's Tally-Ho! time) The rider is sitting too far back in some of them. However, for $5.02 those things will only take a few seconds to fix and it's a good starting point. Also, when a horse is leaping, you lean forward and get low to be symmetrical with the horse. 

X-Fashion Boho Outfit- I really like the neckline and look at the edges on the bottom. Nice flow! For $5.34. Ask yourself- would I make it for that?

i13 3 Stylish Tops   is $5.97, and I LOVE the black and white top in the third thumbnail. Actually, quite dressy and you can use with a skirt and jacket for business attire.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

Notice this jacket for the women DOES have (see Jacket 3) the morph to lengthen the jacket (and by one of the same vendors. Luthbellina only) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

I'm afraid the jacket and the way it makes the arms look just reminds me of a t-rex dinsoaur. Maybe his jacket shrank in the wash?

It does look uncomfortable, doesn't it?  I am getting it though, for the pants and the briefcase/bag whatever it is. (At 5.50, it's a good price for those things IMO) 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

In case you didn't catch this- the Dance of the Butterfly Poses ($6.29)  uses the Isidora Dress, ($6.91) WHICH IS RIGGED FOR THOSE POSES. Not only that, but...

That's a LOT!!!  Kudos to @PandyGirl !

So if you get that dress (and yes, it appears you can make the waist skinny, look at the thumbnails) then wishlist the rest of those pose sets and grab them when they are on sale. Right now, the Butterfly Poses are in the New Release group that start at 40% off (not 30%)  

Post edited by Novica on
    edited March 2017

The Moto Girl Outfit  can be used as a tennis outfit (without the jacket.) Look at the second row of thumbnails, third one. That white top and blue pokadot skirt is really cute!  $6.28 and I was looking at it for the jacket (really adorable details) and also the purse. The boots I'd maybe use for Halloween outfits. (and not meaning that in a bad way.)  There's a shirt under there which wasn't shown, so you get the skirt, top, jacket, boots, and purse.

Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Also, the Road Eagle motorbike is in the Vehicles sale, AND in fast grab, so if you grab two vehicles - the Road Eagle and a free vehicle as Novica pointed out - the road eagle stacks and comes down to about $2.43. 

Naomi has a great set of poses for G3F that are for both the Road Eagle and the Heavy Motorcycle Road Cruiser by Polish. I've used them a lot with the ...Road Cruiser. They're sexy type pose rather than riding poses, but there are a couple that you can use as a starting point for riding. (I can never get the legs apart wide enough properly to do bike riding poses from scratch)

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Also the "daily" (ha ha) freebies have changed. http://www.daz3d.com/free-3d-models I have most of them already, so only 5 are showing for me, but there's a dress for G2F and one for Genesis that I'm gonna nab and see how they autofit to G3F. 

edited March 2017

Well, I ended up blowing through the gift card I bought, but when I figure the 33% discount I got on it yesterday and figured that into these, the items that I listed at $6.91 (the Isdora Dress for example) came down to $4.62.  I did have to put things on the wishlist, darn it, but that's the way it is. I sure have to limit my spending the rest of the month, but here's a few things I got that I'll feature soon. (Busy rigging and can't use my studio anytime soon) 

I don't like Georgia's nose at all, going to take out that dent, but she cost 66 cents when I got the bundle as compared to the hair and outfit separately. I'm going to try and turn the lingerie into a swimsuit, using different materials (opague instead of transparent.) It looks good for a family friendly two piece, if not shown from the back.

Also note that Fast Grab has changed recently and Lyoness figures are in there.

Darcassian Rocket Bike 26468 1 $0.00
    3D Universe ToonMobile 3589 1 $2.51
    ToonCopter 37671 1 $5.34
    3D Universe ToonMobile - Elegance! 3598 1 $2.18
    EArkham's ZWorld Sewer 37735 1 $7.24
    X-Fashion Boho Outfit for Genesis 3 Females(s) 37605 1 $5.34
    i13 3 Stylish Tops for the Genesis 3 Female(s) 37625 1 $5.97
    Georgia Bundle for Genesis 3 Female(s) 37423 1 $14.17
    FW Mateo HD for Michael 7 32929 1 $3.95
    New York Essence Fashion Outfit for Genesis 3 Female(s) 35019 1 $4.40
    Isidora Dress for Genesis 3 Female(s) 37533 1 $6.91
    Dance of the Butterfly Poses and Props 37063 1 $6.29