Old Dog New Tricks

Comments

• deathbycanondeathbycanon Posts: 1,227
    Linwelly said:

wow you certainly go the hang of this pretty fast, and it shows that you could carry over a lot of your knowledge from photography. Seems you are on a good way and this will be an interesting place to watch. So welcome to the art corner of this forum!

Thank you, I am having a lot of fun with it and find it really interesting the way that Daz compares to real life photography. 

Lots of great images in here!  You're very talented and I can see the photographer in you coming out in your images.  Very nice and you seem to be getting a handle on using DS very well.

Thanks! I do feel like I'm getting a handle on the parts I have learned, but then there's something new to learn. I do like the continuous challenges though. :D 

edited March 2017

Then I went on a little  bit of a mixed media binge. Pretty much just using the HDRi to light everything. I got into Daz to give me one more resource for my artwork so I wanted to do some pieces that pulled everything together. Photography, photoshop, and DS 

Icthyo Sapien - I did the underwater and light rays completely in photoshop, & the water splashes are photos and of course Kuril made by TheAntFarm

The little girl on top of TheAntFarms Humpback Whale is the same girl in the photo on the 1st page. Only she was 5 in this photo and 14 in the photo on page 1. :) When she was really little we took her last two pacifiers to build a bear and stuffed them into a bear and sewed him shut. She's had her "binkie bear" ever since. When she was 5 she asked me to take photos of her going on an adventure with her bear. I took the photos but was running a full time photography studio on my own so I only got 1 art piece done for her back then. The photos just sat on my hard drive all these years, so I dusted them off when I got back into digital art this last year. Anyway on this one I was going for that pastel look that is very popular with child photographers right now. 

BTW I bought the Epic skydome - cloud haven - sure wish I had it back when I did this! :D 

On this next one "Fire in the Night" I really love that flying sparks of fire look and wanted to see if I could reproduce it

Post edited by deathbycanon on

oh yea, the knight is the old world knight with sir Robin tectures. 

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I absolutely love the one with your little girl, binky bear and the whale!  Wow!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I think I may end up taking lessons from you! Beautifully done!

I absolutely love the one with your little girl, binky bear and the whale!  Wow!

Thank you!

I think I may end up taking lessons from you! Beautifully done!

lol Thank you, but only in photoshop or photography and only because I have been using photoshop for 18 years and been a photographer for 12, I need all the help in Daz I can get, then I need someone to break down all the techno mumbo jumbo and explain it in old people terms, lol 

Ya Daz has a huge learning curve.  I learn something new almost every day.  Trying to learn Carrara as well, I really want to learn to model (well). I like to learn new stuff. Photoshop, I'm not too bad at, I was using elements but switched to CC this year so I'm still trying to find everything as its set up a bit different.  And has more stuff lol.  And no worries there are plenty of people who are more than willing to help out. Even in old people speak lol.  I'm old enough to have my youngest graduating from college so I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore. 

Ya Daz has a huge learning curve.  I learn something new almost every day.  Trying to learn Carrara as well, I really want to learn to model (well). I like to learn new stuff. Photoshop, I'm not too bad at, I was using elements but switched to CC this year so I'm still trying to find everything as its set up a bit different.  And has more stuff lol.  And no worries there are plenty of people who are more than willing to help out. Even in old people speak lol.  I'm old enough to have my youngest graduating from college so I'm not exactly a spring chicken anymore. 

It's getting easier, but yea, I think it's the hardiest thing I have had to learn so far, and I taught myself how to code in HTML back in the late 90's. LOL The people here are great though and I'm learning much faster now that I'm posting on the forums and asking questions. 

edited March 2017

My next one was a light challange to myself again. I saw this art piece http://fav.me/d4xdra9 and wanted to recreate the effect of the people behind frosted glass. I used primitice planes and shaders for the "glass" in the front and for the lights in the back.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

Beautiful stuff. What's the story behind your username?

barbult said:

I used to be paid to shoot people....... with a Canon. It's also my secret anti gun slam, Think how much more beautiful our world would be if everyone that ever tried to buy a gun was given a Canon instead. :) 

edited March 2017

Then I decided to learn to texture and I texturred a shirt that got kicked out of the DS galleries. :D You can find it here: http://fav.me/dazkrog

The next to the goal was: Use what you have and stop buying stuff!!!! That ones coming back after March!

barbult said:

I used to be paid to shoot people....... with a Canon. It's also my secret anti gun slam, Think how much more beautiful our world would be if everyone that ever tried to buy a gun was given a Canon instead. :) 

Ah, your first phrase scared me at first. Good thing I read on.

edited March 2017
    barbult said:
    barbult said:

Lol, I forget not everyone knows Canon = one of the worlds leading brands of camera and not just a misspelling of cannon = the thing pirates sink ships with 

barbult said:
    barbult said:

Lol, I forget not everyone knows Canon = one of the worlds leading brands of camera and not just a misspelling of cannon = the thing pirates sink ships with 

I used to own Nikon and now I have Olympus, but yes, I know Canon.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

There is one person in the forum where the signature line reads  "stalking furry little animals with a big canon",  or something similar, whch always makes me laugh.

Chohole said:

There is one person in the forum where the signature line reads  "stalking furry little animals with a big canon",  or something similar, whch always makes me laugh.

lol that's great! 

edited March 2017

Then I got this idea stuck in my head for the pix-Alondra character and I had to go back to mixed media because I don't own a background to put her on that fit my vision

Love this character and all her texture options. I think I'm going to have to buy something to get her textures transferred up to G3 - anyone use any of the apps out there for that? Which one  is the best? How well do they work?

When you post your large images to the forum, please set the Width to 800 pixels in the dialog box where you specify the URL. If you forget to do that, the image gets distorted when it is displayed. Viewers can still click on the image to see the full size.

barbult said:

When you post your large images to the forum, please set the Width to 800 pixels in the dialog box where you specify the URL. If you forget to do that, the image gets distorted when it is displayed. Viewers can still click on the image to see the full size.

Thank you so much, I wondered how people were changing the size but still usinjg the url

edited March 2017

I went on a texture binge for a week or two after this. Re texturing a lot of t-shirts. 

I also got Facegen and love that the textures come out already flattened but I do a lot of heavy editing on them in photoshop. This one still is not lining up on the mouth, I'm going to have to learn to read a uv map aren't I :) 

This was done form my own photo - I have lots of faces in my files :)

Riley1.jpg
    640 x 925 - 482K
    edited March 2017

double post

Probably.  And nothing wrong with using mixed media its just another tool as far as I am concerned at least.  Whatever it takes to get the image thats in my head out lol.

And you will discover that the more you know in Studio, the more there is to learn.....

• TabascoJackTabascoJack Posts: 865
    edited March 2017

And you will discover that the more you know in Studio, the more there is to learn.....

Truth.

And I think it applies to most everything, not just Studio....laugh

Post edited by TabascoJack on
  • dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

Love this thread. I just wanted to note that there are light sets made by photographers in the store-- with modelled hoods and reflectors and all those other gizmos that photographers know about. I've used some of them and they're not my favorite but they work great for studio stuff.

Love this thread. I just wanted to note that there are light sets made by photographers in the store-- with modelled hoods and reflectors and all those other gizmos that photographers know about. I've used some of them and they're not my favorite but they work great for studio stuff.

Some of those are very slow to render, because the vendor created way too much geometry for the emitter. If the emitter is a flat plane, a single quad with 4 vertices is the fastest to render. When the vendor creates a plane with dozens of faces for the emitter, that just slows done the render. After purchasing a light set like that, I became disillusioned with such products. There are probably some good ones out there, but I quit buying light sets like that, so I don't know one to recommend.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

They are definitely slower, but I think they give folks who know how to use them a lot more control over the results. I am not that person so I mostly stick to preset templates when I want a very specific look. I've got the Iray Render Studio and the Boss Lights at the moment.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Then I got this idea stuck in my head for the pix-Alondra character and I had to go back to mixed media because I don't own a background to put her on that fit my vision

Love this character and all her texture options. I think I'm going to have to buy something to get her textures transferred up to G3 - anyone use any of the apps out there for that? Which one  is the best? How well do they work?

This is a V4 character and the only way I know of to move it up to G3 is to use GenX.  You would need the following product and add-ons to get there:

http://www.daz3d.com/genesis-generation-x2
    http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-2  (needed for an intermediary even if you don't plan to use G2)
    http://www.daz3d.com/genx2-addon-for-genesis-3

Or you would need to follow the instructions in this thread.  I haven't followed them myself since I have GenX but you might want to give it a try before you invest in GenX first.  I don't know if using this method would be feasible with V4, though, as I think it is mainly transfers between all of the Genesis generations.  However, since I haven't read through the whole thread and the constant addition of clones and products, it is possible there are instructions in there that include V4.  It couldn't hurt to look.

Dimension3D's shop is still currently on sale, though.