Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 8

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

It would be in this thread wouldn't it?  I had to go back to page 4 in Commons, threads are getting buried fast!

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/151901/to-only-show-pruducts-with-sku-16000

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Thank you!  I went through like 15 pages in the commons three or four times last night.  No idea how I missed it.  Found a lot of other interesting threads though lol.

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Here's the code, not sure how to make it into a link for you:

javascript:(function(){var a=[];daz.catalog.productList.forEach(function(i,x){if(i<16000){a.push(i);}});daz.catalog.productList=a;daz.catalog.applyFilters(true);})();

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    Llynara said:

The Boho Garden looks very nice! Haven't grabbed it yet, because I grabbed so many older RDNA things with that blowout. At .84 each, it was too tempting to resist. 

Also tempting is Redz's new guy Raj over at Rendo who's currently at half price. I've put some renders of him here in my art thread. He's awesome! 

@barbult The Elijah morphs look great on G3F. Good job!

Thanks, Llynara. Your link to your art thread is going to your profile page instead.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Anyone know if DimensionTheory has a thread to discuss Luma Lighting? Searched the forum but only saw references to the actual product.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2017

Anyone know if Recipe Builder and Loader for UHT2 is worth it/helpful? I got UHT2 and have just started using it lately, so not that familiar with it, and the Recipe Builder is on sale today. Wondering if I should get it....

I should add - useful if one doesn't intend to share recipes, but simply for one's own convenience. It's hard to tell from the description, but maybe I'm missing something.

Post edited by firewarden on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    barbult said:
    Llynara said:

The Boho Garden looks very nice! Haven't grabbed it yet, because I grabbed so many older RDNA things with that blowout. At .84 each, it was too tempting to resist. 

Also tempting is Redz's new guy Raj over at Rendo who's currently at half price. I've put some renders of him here in my art thread. He's awesome! 

@barbult The Elijah morphs look great on G3F. Good job!

Thanks, Llynara. Your link to your art thread is going to your profile page instead.

Sorry! Must've grabbed the wrong one. I've fixed it now. Link is here too: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/137871/llynara-s-loony-bin-wip-thread#latest

Also, regarding sales stuff right now-  I found this on UV Tailor in case you're wanting to know about that one. Daz_Josh was the one who requested the product be made. I'm not getting it, I've got enough stuff already that I'll never get to. But here's the original thread and chitchat.

Also, keep checking Fast Grab, it has changed since yesterday.

• donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

Still a WIP, but I am really happy with the purchase of Big Bill. The scene is getting unwieldy with lots of textures and two geografts - I had to use the Texture Resizer and Replacer scripts from the Freebies forum to get it to render on my 2GB card in GPU mode. 

My next steps are going to be to put a background in, maybe Terradome 3, or Souless Empathy's Canyon Terrain set - and some Joshua Trees from the RDNA sale going on right now. 

MadMaxBigBill.jpg
    1461 x 921 - 731K
    edited March 2017

Showing two products here. One I got in Fast Grab last week: Laundry Day Mega Set. The other I've had but haven't rendered before: Modern Living Attic Bedroom and its companion Modern Living Attic Bedroom Furniture.

The laundry shows up in the render in two spots, on the bed and outside the window. The clothes hanging outside load as one prop but each piece of clothing is its own item so you can hide or replace it if you'd like. There's a variety of individual props: stacks of folded female and male clothing (3 each), individual folded clothing, and hanging clothes set up to either hang from a line or a hook. I show a couple of stacks on the bed and one hanging item laid out at the foot of the bed. Hanging clothes have wind and sometimes other adjustment morphs. You also get a laundry basket and clothes pins. Comes with IRay and 3DL materials. I thought it was a versatile product useful for scenes of everyday life.

The setting is the attic room and furniture product. It comes with 3DL and Iray materials. It's a nice basic bedroom, nothing too fancy which is very useful (not everyone lives in grand homes!). There's a single bed version for another location in the attic (not shown). I didn't care for the way the blanket lays over the right pillow but I didn't find any morphs to modify it. On closer look, it's actually a scrunched up pillow - the top pillows have the same color as the blanket so they don't really differentiate from each other. There is only one material zone for the bed covering and pillows, so you can't just change the pillow color. But it was easy to use the geometry tool to select the pillow and give it it's own surface (image below). The other odd thing I found was that as I rendered (Iray), the clothes outside shifted position versus what you see in the viewport. This became really apparent when I opened the windows (parameter dials available to do so) and I had the same clothing item rendering in two different spots. I looked at the glass shader and Thin-Walled was turned off. Turning it on got rid of the shift and the doubled clothing.

This scene was slow to render. I'm on a different computer than my normal one so I may be misjudging it. But I ended up doing only a 700 by 525 pixel image because it was taking so long.

Laundry Attic bedroom.jpg
    700 x 525 - 483K
    Laundry Attic bedroom remapped pillow.jpg
    700 x 525 - 258K
    Post edited by RGcincy on

I like the different material zones, makes a difference. That clothing will be very handy for everyday scenes, thanks for showing it. Not really understanding what was going on with the doubled clothing though. What exactly does thin walled do? (I know you turned it off, so you made the glass thicker, is that right? So reflections didn't occur?)

Okay, anyone have renders of those ice people products that are in the sale right now?

Anyone know if Recipe Builder and Loader for UHT2 is worth it/helpful? I got UHT2 and have just started using it lately, so not that familiar with it, and the Recipe Builder is on sale today. Wondering if I should get it....

I should add - useful if one doesn't intend to share recipes, but simply for one's own convenience. It's hard to tell from the description, but maybe I'm missing something.

Sorry, I don't have it. Not ignoring you, hopefully someone else has tried it. 

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071
    Novica said:

I use it occasionally when I like a particular setting since I use Sloshwerk's UHT2 almost on every hair set I own; it does save time to save the preset out.  When you activate the script, your preset will be at the front of the color selections-just be aware that it's for the hair set you chose it for.  I haven't attempted any of the presets I've saved on other hair sets than what they were saved for. Yet.

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

I use it occasionally when I like a particular setting since I use Sloshwerk's UHT2 almost on every hair set I own; it does save time to save the preset out.  When you activate the script, your preset will be at the front of the color selections-just be aware that it's for the hair set you chose it for.  I haven't attempted any of the presets I've saved on other hair sets than what they were saved for. Yet.

I've saved both material presets (good only for the one hair) and shader presets (can be applied to anything) for UHT2 shaders without owning the recipe product. I think the recipe product is only needed for sharing your settings with someone else.

Post edited by barbult on

I have the ice people for the girls but I'm not by the computer I have the render on.  They are fun and easy to use. They do look like ice people and have several different ice settings.

I have the ice people for the girls but I'm not by the computer I have the render on.  They are fun and easy to use. They do look like ice people and have several different ice settings.

LOL- I should have known ICE Dragon Art would have them

LOL yes there is that.... I also have the fire one but haven't had a chance to render it yet.

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

Not really understanding what was going on with the doubled clothing though. What exactly does thin walled do? (I know you turned it off, so you made the glass thicker, is that right? So reflections didn't occur?)

I'm not too familiar with it, but most of the references I've seen about thin walled apply to glass and other transparent items. The usual recommendation is for it to be off for glass, but I think you're also suppose to have some thickness to the object, not a single polygon. The screen capture below shows the viewport. You can see a single blue and gray shirt showing through the window opening on the right.

Here's the render of that viewport scene showing two of the same bue/gray shirts next to each other. With the windows closed, there was only one shirt but all the clothes were shifted around towards the left. I'm thinking maybe the window is a single polygon thick, a standard glass shader was applied, and somehow it's acting as if it's a thick pane of glass - but I'm only guessing.

First time I've experienced this.

Attic bedroom window shift viewport.jpg
    665 x 502 - 76K
    Laundry Attic bedroom window shift.jpg
    700 x 525 - 270K

Hmmm, thanks for showing that. I'll TRY to remember to turn that off if I ever get into that situation. How would I label that tip in the References I wonder? I can't label it TIP: thin walled, because that's the solution and not the problem that people would look for. Open to suggestions because I'd like to put it in the tips (in the second post of the thread.)  Would it be Glass: stop doubling reflections?  

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723
    Novica said:

Hmmm, thanks for showing that. I'll TRY to remember to turn that off if I ever get into that situation. How would I label that tip in the References I wonder? I can't label it TIP: thin walled, because that's the solution and not the problem that people would look for. Open to suggestions because I'd like to put it in the tips (in the second post of the thread.)  Would it be Glass: stop doubling reflections?  

Aren't you supposed to add "Whoot!":)

For those who have never used the geometry editor, adding a new surface to the pillows above is super easy and would be a good way to learn. Steps are: 

1. From Tool Settings pane, select Geometry Editor as the active tool.
    2. Click anywhere on a pillow.
    3. Right click in the viewport.
    4. Choose Geometry Selection and then from the submenu choose Select Connected. This will highlight all the polygons on that pillow.
    5. Right click in the viewport again.
    6. Choose Geometry Assignment and then from the submenu choose Create Surface from Selected. Type in a name for your surface. Now you can select that surface and add whatever shader you want.
    7. Since pillows in a pair usually have the same fabric, you can repeat steps 2-5 for a second pillow. Then in step 6, choose Geometry Assignment/Assign to Surface and choose the surface you already made.

edited March 2017
    Novica said:

Actually you want to turn it On (thin walled off led to the problem, thin walled on corrected it). I can edit what I wrote to make that clearer.

That's an interesting question. My first clue was that the objects outside the window were changing position from viewport to render but I wasn't sure why. When I opened the window, and since it was only partially opened, the clothes were visible through glass and no glass and that's when it became totally clear when two of the same shirts showed up.

Here's an image that illustrates the problem and solution.

Glass shifting.jpg
    960 x 720 - 103K
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Novica, the first image of Gemma....the face looks very different to the neck. You can see a pale part under her chin on our left. Do you know what caused that? it's almost like the body texture is a completely different one to the face/head 

Novica said:

Here's some different lighting on Gemma. (Pro Studio HDR which is my number one pick on lighting portraits)  She's a cutie! Wearing Lani Hair this time.

I was actually experimenting with that yesterday morning, the entire back of the head is a different material zone. Then my lawn guy came with the soil analysis and I forgot to get back to it. I'll check on it tomorrow (getting off the computer, about 2am here) but I did save the duf file,  so I can check it. 

I don't know how I did it to poor Gemma. I just applied the base materials and she's fine, and the eye makeup and she's fine. I didn't have two characters in progress or in the scene (it was a single portrait) so it's a mystery. Now off to get some zzzz's. 

(BTW, the Bonus Buyer Freebie has changed again, it's fences.)

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454
    edited March 2017
    barbult said:
    Novica said:

I've saved both material presets (good only for the one hair) and shader presets (can be applied to anything) for UHT2 shaders without owning the recipe product. I think the recipe product is only needed for sharing your settings with someone else.

Thanks, everyone. I'll skip it, since I don't intend to share. I really appreciate the input! :)

Post edited by firewarden on
  • donovancolbertdonovancolbert Posts: 1,421

How do you guys embed images in the body of your text instead of as an attachment?

​Finished up the Big Bill Post Apocalyptic render.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/318306/

edited March 2017

How do you guys embed images in the body of your text instead of as an attachment?

​Finished up the Big Bill Post Apocalyptic render.

http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/318306/

Here is a tutorial.

Instead of linking to the uploaded image, you can also link to an image in your gallery, since that is already uploaded.

Post edited by barbult on
This discussion has been closed.