Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• One more render, using the render settings from Toon Generations 2, the Genesis Supersuit, RawArt's WebHero Supersuit preset, and the DG Iray Action Fabrics. Oh, and Sketchy too!

WebHero01_iToon.png
    673 x 872 - 304K
  • After playing with Sketchy for a couple of days now, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do objects with Sketchy applied not respond to lights in the scene? I've been driving myself batty trying out different light sets. (I've found that some DS plug-ins don't work as well on the Mac so I've gotten a little paranoid...) One of the things I'd been looking forward to was using Sketchy with some of the emissive light sets for special effects and such. The picture below is one I just converted from pwToon.

2) Is there a way to alter the shading to change the sharpness from normal diffuse to diffuse shaded areas? That was a handy feature in pwToon because it allowed for different looks. I could simulate plastic or metal with a sharp transition, or skin and cloth with a smoother transition.

3) Sketchy offers some Specular controls, but I can't find any documentation on how to use them. Am I missing something somewhere? I'm not an Iray expert so I'm not sure how the Specular controls could be changed for different looks.

I'm having fun exploring Sketchy's capabilities. I'd been resisting going from 3Delight and pwToon to Iray because I prefer doing non-photorealistic rendering, but Sketchy's making me reconsider my life choices.  wink

Love this one.  It almost reminds me of The Incredibles.  :)

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,712
    edited March 2017

video

I removed the original diffuse maps to give it more of an engraved or woodcut look though thats rather at odds with a video but still wink

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • Hey, I have a question and I want to see if anyone else has encountered something similar.

I was re-doing one of my earlier Sketchy experiments. It's a G3M figure with 3Delight shaders that I hadn't converted to pwToon yet. I applied the "DTTS - Iray Toon Shader Base" shader preset in the "IrayToonShader" folder to a couple of Surfaces and then did a quick render to see. Instead of the Toon look, I got the shiny surfaces shown in the screen capture. What the what...?!?

I double-checked the Surfaces and they all had the right Sketchy parameters. What's going on?

Has anyone else run across this?

Screen Shot 2017-03-04 at 3.26.16 PM.png
    1280 x 800 - 507K
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

One of the upsides with Sketchy is that you are generally not using things like SSS and so on, and that also means you have less need for high Render Quality/completion.

So, while I suspect the Sketchy shader is probably a little slower than Iray Uber, in practice the renders are MUCH faster because you are naturally using less of the slow stuff.

• FirePro9FirePro9 Posts: 455
    edited March 2017
    th3Digit said:

th3Digit your video shows a very nice effect achieved using Sketchy, well done!

Post edited by FirePro9 on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited March 2017

Hey, I have a question and I want to see if anyone else has encountered something similar.

I was re-doing one of my earlier Sketchy experiments. It's a G3M figure with 3Delight shaders that I hadn't converted to pwToon yet. I applied the "DTTS - Iray Toon Shader Base" shader preset in the "IrayToonShader" folder to a couple of Surfaces and then did a quick render to see. Instead of the Toon look, I got the shiny surfaces shown in the screen capture. What the what...?!?

I double-checked the Surfaces and they all had the right Sketchy parameters. What's going on?

I think I had this issue when I first tried the program. What MIGHT work (I think this is how I fixed it), is to make sure all the surfaces have the Iray Uber base shader applied to them first, and then use the Sketchy shaders. I think the Sketchy shader was having a strange reaction to a particular type of shader that wasn't an Iray shader. Making sure all the surfaces are Iray surfaces first seemed to fix the issue.

Post edited by 3Diva on

I'm having so much fun with this!

I'm still trying to figure out all the settings. Some of the line settings seem to make the mats completely disappear. And how do you get "draw styles" to work? I try applying them but they don't seem to change anything. 

• Sphinx, the results you're getting in that last render like Dva said are likely coming from the 3Delight shaders pushing their specularity over to the reflections on the Sketchy shader.  Applying Iray materials first will usually work best.  Custom shaders have to declare certain values in a way that line up with other shaders they "apply on top of" in orver for settings to be carried over in the most expected way possible, and there's no way to make some of those values line up for both 3Delight and Iray materials.  Some things might not go where they're supposed to and other things go where they shouldn't.

In regards to your issue about surfaces reacting to light everything about the material other than the outline functions the same way as other Iray materials.  The outline and draw effects for all intents and purposes are infinitely dark, so you're not going to get a bright light source to make much impact on those effects specifically.  Using harsher higher contrast lighting will help make the effects more distinctive as the figure's self shadows get pushed closer to the same level of black as the outline effects (your lighting is very soft and everything is more or less uniformly lit).

Specularity controls work the same as they do in the base Iray Uber shader.  Specular Strength adds more of a reflective surface, Roughness reduces the gloss effect, Color lets you specify a texture map for mapped specularity.  The specularity / reflections produced go over top of the outline and sketch effects.  You can also use one of the layers of outline to "fake" some highlights on the outline edge like I did with my rose illustrations.  My diffuse outline color was set to something slightly lighter than the actual diffuse of the rose pedals to create highlights which were affected by the draw styles.  You can see how the actual specilar values are affecting the vase in these illustrations too.

09_Sketchy_Iray_Toon_Shader_PopupH.jpg
    2000 x 1300 - 2M
    RoseCapture.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 733K
  • DimensionTheoryDimensionTheory Posts: 434
    edited March 2017

I'm still trying to figure out all the settings. Some of the line settings seem to make the mats completely disappear. And how do you get "draw styles" to work? I try applying them but they don't seem to change anything.

If you apply draw style presets to the figure in the illustration you just posted is she retaining the sketch effect?  All those presets do are swap out the textures used for the draw style, so the sketch effect should switch to cross hatching or pixels etc.  So if you can see a draw style currently like the sketch in your last illustration it should change that, if it's not I'm thinking it's most likely a matter of changing the diffuse style while only the outline style is being used (or vice versa).  There's presets for both "Draw Stlye Outline" and "Draw Style Diffuse" which apply sketch styles to the two different layers of toon effect, if one layer isn't being used currently by the shader and you load a new draw style for that layer it's not going to change anything.

Post edited by DimensionTheory on
  • Hey, I have a question and I want to see if anyone else has encountered something similar.

I think I had this issue when I first tried the program. What MIGHT work (I think this is how I fixed it), is to make sure all the surfaces have the Iray Uber base shader applied to them first, and then use the Sketchy shaders. I think the Sketchy shader was having a strange reaction to a particular type of shader that wasn't an Iray shader. Making sure all the surfaces are Iray surfaces first seemed to fix the issue.

That's a good idea. I'll try it out. Thanks! It might help explain the question I had earlier about the lights not affecting the Surfaces on the figure.

If you apply draw style presets to the figure in the illustration you just posted is she retaining the sketch effect?  All those presets do are swap out the textures used for the draw style, so the sketch effect should switch to cross hatching or pixels etc.  So if you can see a draw style currently like the sketch in your last illustration it should change that, if it's not I'm thinking it's most likely a matter of changing the diffuse style while only the outline style is being used (or vice versa).  There's presets for both "Draw Stlye Outline" and "Draw Style Diffuse" which apply sketch styles to the two different layers of toon effect, if one layer isn't being used currently by the shader and you load a new draw style for that layer it's not going to change anything.

Oh ok. I think I was trying to use the defuse draw styles to change the outlines. /doh lol Thanks, DT!

Made a couple of adjustments in Photoshop. 

• That looks great!  I think those subtle adjustments really helped sell the effect.

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549
    edited March 2017

Nice one Diva. She looks fantastic!

Post edited by DestinysGarden on

Thanks guys! :D The Nik Collection (free Photoshop filters) really gives some nice enhancements. I think taking a couple extra minutes to do that makes a difference.

I'm really enjoying the Sketchy product! I haven't stopped rendering with it since I got it. lol :D Thanks for making the price so affordable, DimensionTheory!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm so looking forward to trying this. I broke down and got it.  I'm so excited that this will not only do lines but turn everything shades of black and white.  I want to use this so I can do a render, then do the lines and remove the color and then paint it. Either by starting with cell painting or just straight up painting it. I've been looking for something like this forever.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

I wanted to try it out on some scenery.

Better details in linked big picture, but I didn't do anything particularly clever, just clicked on presets and surfaces.

Dragon Park.png
    1920 x 1080 - 4M

I'm so looking forward to trying this. I broke down and got it.  I'm so excited that this will not only do lines but turn everything shades of black and white.  I want to use this so I can do a render, then do the lines and remove the color and then paint it. Either by starting with cell painting or just straight up painting it. I've been looking for something like this forever.

So making like black and white art to color? That's a cool idea! Looks like it could work with the right lighting a little bit of post work:

I wanted to try it out on some scenery.

Better details in linked big picture, but I didn't do anything particularly clever, just clicked on presets and surfaces.

Looks great! I've not tried backgrounds yet, but it looks like it's going to work nicely! 

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342

Only postwork was reducing size and brightening it a little.

Did you do the background here too?

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

So making like black and white art to color? That's a cool idea! Looks like it could work with the right lighting a little bit of post work:

now i would like to see her walking or something

any more animations to see ?

Ruphuss said:

now i would like to see her walking or something

any more animations to see ?

Sadly I don't know how to do animations. 

Spit said:

Did you do the background here too?

Yeah, Fern Lake with sketchy applied. ;)

This mostly uses sketchy render, though I ended up using my Outline art shader for the flesh body (because I wanted a good outline while having the figure be mostly transparent)

Internals.png
    1080 x 1080 - 260K
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

Okay, not the greatest but I played with Sketchy for a bit last night.  Had issues with the hair.  I'm pretty sure it has to do with the hair and not sketchy as it was an older hair that didn't have maps.  It just did not like the shaders.  So, I ended up switching hairs and using DG's Toon Hair Shaders instead.  Everything else has Sketchy applied.  I like what I see so far.  I just need to play with it more.  I definitely need to work on the lighting.  Great job @DimensionTheory!

The original before Sketchy is posted on my Lab Thread, just click the link.

Question was raised about speed and GPU and CPU and so on.

This is Winter Hall, an environment that I've had ENORMOUS trouble trying to render in Iray, since it has about 19 billion maps and makes my card go 'WTF, dude?'

So, made it all Sketchy.

Also, as a further test, I gave it a 5 minute time limit and CPU only.

I'm... pretty darn happy with how it worked out!

I have an Alienware Area-51. 16 GB RAM, Intel Core i7-5820K CPU @ 3.3 GHz (12 CPUs)

Winter Hall Sketch.png
    1920 x 1477 - 2M

This is, btw, the death knell of my use of 3DL.

There are now a bunch of things that used to be signature 3DL-ism items, that now Iray can do and DOES WAY FASTER.

I mean, I've had PWToon and Linerender stuff that ends up taking 30-60 minutes, or more.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

So... does Sketchy do everything LineRender9000 did?