Carrara Challenge #31 Music For My Eyes

Comments

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187
    Diomede said:

Yes.  You are correct.

Yay!  May get a third entry in.  The 2nd one is forthcoming.

Thanks!

Awesome! I might be able to get something in as well! Yaaay! We'll see ;)

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

a whole week, 2 weekends!  trying to think of something could flow into a demo reel  smiley

• UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2017

Entry #2.

This is a "different" version of Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music.

It's your typical campfire scene in a Stonemason sci-fi corridor, with a free-spirited alien governess strumming Do-Re-Mi on her guitar to her young charges, all under the watchful eye of papa.

Music For Her Eyes

Many thanks to evilproducer for his campfire freebie!  The eyes are Carrara native models.

Got to play with fog, and even a little DOF.  Big stuff for this old boy.

Music for the eyes1.png
    1800 x 1040 - 2M
    MFTE WIP.PNG
    1918 x 1032 - 3M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2017

Okay, I am calling this one done.  Thanks once again for all of the help!

Edited to add, I just notices the notes are going through her right arm.  Will fix that tomorrow.

MUSIC.png
    2040 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Sonja - I'm liking the way the notes wind around the doors, very clever.

Thank you! I'm still trying to think of a short title.  Its supposed to represent how music can take you to different places.

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

"Where the music takes you" as a suggestion.

Well that certainly  better than what I was coming up with lol.  Thanks!

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,187

Entry #2.

This is a "different" version of Julie Andrews and the Sound of Music.

It's your typical campfire scene in a Stonemason sci-fi corridor, with a free-spirited alien governess strumming Do-Re-Mi on her guitar to her young charges, all under the watchful eye of papa.

Music For Her Eyes

Many thanks to evilproducer for his campfire freebie!  The eyes are Carrara native models.

Got to play with fog, and even a little DOF.  Big stuff for this old boy.

Very cool!!!

Okay, I am calling this one done.  Thanks once again for all of the help!

Edited to add, I just notices the notes are going through her right arm.  Will fix that tomorrow.

Nice! I made up a nice screen shot of using the modifiers list to help with your query about bend/spiral, but when I went to write my post, I saw that wgdjohn beat me to the punch! LOL

Awww well thank you anyway!   I'm really thrilled that I was able to actually execute this idea.  So I'm pretty excited about that lol!

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073
    edited March 2017

Thank you Chickenman for posting the entry thread.  I am leaving for Florida tomorrow to watch baseball.  I was worried that I'd have trouble posting my entries from the road.

Good luck everyone.

Post edited by Diomede on
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I just wanted to make sure it was up and not sure if i will be able to get on the computer tommorrow to do it.

Glad it worked out for you.

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited March 2017
    MistyRara said:

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Eastern Sunday 12 March 2017

whole week left!

Dazzle me as I know you can.  Can't get that Gal in the rain, metaballs, image out of my head. smiley

UB,  WIP thread automatically closes when Voting Begins... unless something has changed... kinda pointless posting to the Voting thread as folks will have started voting and you might be losing out on some votes. BTW:  Curviest Alien at campfire I've ever seen... well done.

Sonja,  Very nice how you trail the notes out of the doorways... I never imagained.

Dart, Sorry I beat you to the punch... hee... hee.  I would have liked to see your version of Bend modifier also... you explain a lot better than I.

Everyone has some very nice looking render... voting will be hard.  Keep up the great work!

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited March 2017

Finally got a start on the scene today... thought I'd show my start... shaders need a bit of tweeking and I may add something to the terrain editor.  Once I get it where I'm somewhat happy I'll start throwing my objects at it.

Chickenman,  Kinda funny... For a Challenge Requiring No Modleing I've created more than for any of the others I've entered:cheeky

Music_Crater_Terrain_start.png
    1280 x 701 - 557K
  • chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

Well it is good to not let the skills sit idle and rust away.

Very cool!!!

wgdjohn said:
    UB,  WIP thread automatically closes when Voting Begins... unless something has changed... kinda pointless posting to the Voting thread as folks will have started voting and you might be losing out on some votes. BTW:  Curviest Alien at campfire I've ever seen... well done.

Thanks guys!

Worked on the Terrain shaders a bit... After spending most of the day entirely changing the view, the previous pic shows from the back,... so I rotated the Camera back to normal and then rotated the terrain for the view I wanted... the shadows were coming from the wrong direction... so I first tried a main light from the opposite side which should have worked.... shadows looked fine but couldn't get rid of some strange arti-facts in the craters.  Now I've got it ready for some of my music notes, staff and notation objects and some other things I have in mind..

Notes on any Terrain:  The very top shader controls exposed rock.  Any Terrain layers will have some controls at the very top of each... these are fun to play with their settings... I like to change the Distribution/Blend to get different blending between it an the others... Funn Stufff!. If anyone is new to Carrara and Terrains...  check out Building Carrara Terrains Intro by Dartanbeck for a good scoop on creating terrains or you can also ask in No one asked me - Diomede posts screenshots on whatever.

Music_Crater_Terrain_08.png
    1280 x 701 - 738K
    edited March 2017

That is really coming along nicely, wgdjohn.  

Looks like you got the artifacts sorted out,.  Newbies might want to know that sometimes you can improve landscape rendering by increasing the mesh resolution of the terrain in the upper right area of the terrain modeling room.  

Thanks for giving my screenshots thread a shout out.  I am on my IPad for a while so won't be able to answer any questions with screenshots but I can still try to answer with text or provide links.  Another good place for a new Carrara user to look, or new to making environments in Carrara, is the WIP thread for the 8th Carrara monthly challenge, the great race or don't fence me in.  The top post collects some landscape and replicator resources and the WIPs illustrate some interesting uses.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/38186/carrara-challenge-viii-the-great-race-or-don-t-fence-me-in-wip-thread-is-open/p1

Diomede said:

That is really coming along nicely, wgdjohn.  

Looks like you got the artifacts sorted out,.  Newbies might want to know that sometimes you can improve landscape rendering by increasing the mesh resolution of the terrain in the upper right area of the terrain modeling room.  

Oops,  I forgot to mention that... I changed the default 100x100 size to 500x500.  Before increasing the size there only showed a few of the craters... just the size alone showed many-many more... and it rendered very quickly.  The hard part was positioniong the left and right speaker cabinets to be next to for 1 and inside a crater for the other... took a few test renders.  Now that I think about it I could have just did a Spot Render when doing this.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2017

The third entry «Tango Sounds»

At last I figured out how to model scaffold in Carrara and how to use Carrara soft body physics for curtain creation. All stage props and the stage itself are modeled and textured by me in Carrara.

2017-03-03_2017.png
    1510 x 793 - 297K
    2017-03-06_2354.png
    1440 x 771 - 2M
    2017-03-06_2206.png
    1345 x 896 - 1M
    2017-03-06_2205.png
    1141 x 796 - 1M
    Tango_sounds.jpg
    1500 x 1500 - 379K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

That's awesome, and it's got my name in it! (how shallow am I . . . ? ) wink

TangoAlpha, thank you for kind words. I am happy that you like it! wink

Oh gosh... 5 days to go.  Worked on adding my music staff with notes and a comination of 3 diff Fog effects... yesterday... but it didn't change it enough to post it yet.  Been cooking all day so I have some chow for a couple+ days so haven't done anything today... perhaps later... I'm nearly done preping the food... my version of Black Bean Chili with ground chuck, country sausage, green and yellow peppers in wine sauce... chopped celery and now cutting onions then I'm off to mixing herbs and adding the tomato sauce... Into the slow cooker it goes and I can relax... and wait.. and wait...  Excuse me for getting carried away but I did think of a few things I left out.  Too bad I can't make meals in Carrara. cheeky

Lucky me! My hubby cooks all the food for me. I nearly don't know how to do this stuff.

-Vyusur, scaffolding worked out very well. Love the lighting.  Yes, you are lucky on the cooking, speaking of which...

-wgdjohn, sounds delicious.  I am not much of a cook but I do make a lot of slow cooker meals like stews, soups, and chili. But our winter has been so warm that didn't do as much this year

edited September 2017

Grew up doing chores in our family restaurant... finally concentrated on learning how to cook 11 years ago.

Added some things while waiting for dinner to cook... I've still got a few others yet to come... will have to wait til later today.

Music_Crater_Terrain_16c.png
    1280 x 701 - 1M

Thank you, Diomede!

edited March 2017

Entry #3

Occupied Paris, 1942.

Seduction at the Moulin Rouge

I grew up mesmermized by the old pulp magazine covers.  Still love those artists today.  I always wanted to do a pulp-style Nazi scene, but I wasn't sure I could pull it off at this stage of Carrara training.  Hard, but fun!

All the characters are third generation (V3, M3, A3), only because I'm currently exploring them.  Everything was posed, shaded, lit, and rendered in Carrara, with no modeling.

French Music WIP 2a.PNG
    1681 x 898 - 2M
    French Music 2a.png
    1800 x 1040 - 2M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

UB, pulp cover gets two thumbs up - we even had a whole challenge devoted to Pulp Covers.  One of the more popular challenges, I think, in terms of activity in the WIP thread and number of participants.  Maybe your entry will inspire another go.

just popping in to suggest that Chickenman not close the entry thread until after Headwax's has been added, if HW doesn't get back from his surfing vacation before then.

edited March 2017

Speaking of pulps, not that they ever went away, but the author James Patterson has been infusing energy in a series called BOOKSHOTS.  Stories are around 150 pages.  Self described as "lightning-fast stories byJames Patterson - novels you can devour in a few hours - impossible to stop reading - all original content.  

I picked up French Twist: A Detective Luc Moncrief Mystery.  I'll let you know if some Nazis invade a cabaret.  wink