Carrara Challenge #31 Music For My Eyes

Comments

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    head wax said:

I am sure Dart will put an entry in, given that he can make posters for his band etc ;)

I probably shouldn't due to:

The intent is to allow some of the newer users to Carrara to create and display thier artwork from Carrara

As a newer user, I insist that you join in lol.  I learn an awful lot by following along with people who are better at this than I am.  I would be disappointed if you and others who are very good with this program did not participate.  Besides, that's way too much pressure for us newbies lol.

Glad to have you along for both of you.

I asy again Dart you are more than welcome as are all Carrara users/enthusiasts.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997
    edited February 2017

Elements are almost done.  This custom hair model will be the final piece needed for the musicians.  The hair cap was made in the vertex modeler with zones to part the hair, have bangs, etc.  However, in this case, I just used a single zone.  I used the hair modeler's dynamic drape function and then cut the simple bowl cut style that I wanted. The hair color is based on gradients in the root and tip.  Colors are close to completely black with highlight and shine reduced.  The hair texture kink settng is completely trial and error. 

For the G2F,

The skin shader is Ringo's product for G2F Monique, Carrara-specific.  http://www.daz3d.com/dp-monique-6-carrara-shaders

The face morph is Nidale by Silver    http://www.daz3d.com/nidale

As always, suggestions welcome.  Especially for the hair and head piece. The head piece was modeled in the vertex modeler.  I used the replicate function (set to circular) within the vertex modeler for the strings of little spheres.  I then rotated each column of spheres to better match the hair.

jj05 test render egypt portrait.jpg
    800 x 800 - 31K
    jj01 hair cap for g2f custom mesh.JPG
    1658 x 998 - 131K
    jj02 hair guides styiling.JPG
    1359 x 934 - 148K
    jj03 hair shader kink settings.JPG
    1448 x 837 - 126K
    jj04 hair piece mesh.JPG
    1316 x 936 - 140K
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • 3drendero3drendero Posts: 2,017

Added a news post about the contest at http://carraracafe.com/

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099
    head wax said:

I am sure Dart will put an entry in, given that he can make posters for his band etc ;)

The intent is to allow some of the newer users to Carrara to create and display thier artwork from Carrara

As a newer user, I insist that you join in lol.  I learn an awful lot by following along with people who are better at this than I am.  I would be disappointed if you and others who are very good with this program did not participate.  Besides, that's way too much pressure for us newbies lol.

head wax said:

Glad to have you along for both of you.

I asy again Dart you are more than welcome as are all Carrara users/enthusiasts.

(hugs back... all around!) smiley

Well I will try! ;) 

Thanks for the verbal hugs all of you! 

Diomede,

I love what you've got going on man!

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Well I finally have an idea.  We will see if I can execute it.  Will be working on it this weekend.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202
    3drendero said:

Added a news post about the contest at http://carraracafe.com/

Thanks

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235

Diomede, beautiful character!

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited February 2017

Got a tiny and late start... below are bars for music which need re-sizing... kinda look like a gate my Brother and I painted at

our Farm my Brother and I painted at our Farm.

Post edited by wgdjohn on
    edited February 2017

Thanks, Dart and Vyusur.

Wgdjohn, an alternative to think about?  If you have a sheet of music for a specific song, then you can invert it (make page black and bars/notes white) and load it in the terrain modeler.  The bars and notes will be elevated.  Reduce the elevation to about 3-5 feet.  In the terrain modeler, also apply a smoothing filter.  Then use a shader (alpha set to zero) to eliminate the lower elevations.  You can use the terrain size and detail to affect its quality.  Just a quick option. 

EDIT: I posted an example of this method in another thread. 

See  http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/2127286/#Comment_2127286

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,751

Imagine Life on Mars..... 

Most excellent!

Stezza said:

Imagine Life on Mars..... 

Thanks Diomede,  I re-designed it a bit tonight... tomorrow, hopefully, will be dedicated to designing the notation.

MusicBars_10.png
    640 x 480 - 7K
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Stezza - excellent likenesses!

thanks Phil... here is the rendered version before postwork.. I used headshop to try and get a general look then tweaked all the dials to try and get closer.. what a PITA!

Imagine Life on Mars no post.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 598K

Frikken awesome, Stezza!

edited February 2017

Here is another entry by me.  A couple of M4s with some kit bashing of Daz clothing and the guitar set.  And, of course, some Carrara dynamic hair

zz top assemble.JPG
    1869 x 903 - 263K
    ZZ top wip.jpg
    1200 x 900 - 62K

Excellent work folks!  Really Rock'n them renders!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    wgdjohn said:

Excellent work folks!  Really Rock'n them renders!

+1smiley

• PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Here is another entry by me.  A couple of M4s with some kit bashing of Daz clothing and the guitar set.  And, of course, some Carrara dynamic hair

I have seen them live - but not met them, so you are allowed to enter this!

edited February 2017

LOL, thanks for the green light, Phil.  wink

And here is my third entry.  For some reason, I woke up this morning and visualized music with the formula modeler.  I made this with the spline modeler and the terrain modeler.  The shaders are a layer list and using the formula in the shader tree to create the colors.  I used the alpha channel to create the spots and the lines. 

music visualization entry.jpg
    1333 x 1000 - 175K
    hh01 music visualizatoin entry.JPG
    1772 x 938 - 191K
    hh02 formula shader for music visualization.JPG
    1344 x 1003 - 162K

Darth Villainous = yes

A moving image!

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

i cant remember the name of the dress i wanted to use, is like a bikini of tulip petals

snow outside makin me crave spring, i'm thinkin birds of paradise, but ladies

smileyher name was lola, she was a showgirl, faded geathers in her hair, a dress cut down to there

josephine baker wore the skirt of bananas

Darth(omede),  Kewl!

Tonight was time to start on the notation... had to take a break from designing the bars.  Sure nuf... I was able to find faults in designing the note also... luckily I have all polys I started with so can easily go back and make some better versions.  Thought I'd show what I did earlier... first I plopped in a 12 pointed circle and added thickness... then went wrong by adding smoothing at 1 and selecting Convert (not a good idea in this case) as it created too much work when cutting the holes which I will do instead on my 2d poly first which I'll need two versions of, filled and open.  The notes with uprights consist of 2 polymeshes.  To get the roundness to look good I cranked up smoothing another 3 levels.

Crease this line not that line.. tote that bail... all hail... Modeling in Carrara is Funnnn! 

MusicNote.png
    640 x 480 - 56K

You must be picky or something. These look fantastic to me ;)

Reminds me of the music composer software we had on our Apple II GS when I was young

edited February 2017

I'm very happy with how they turned out but I'm wanting to learn to model them much faster... I'm slow enough already... don't need to slow the process down even more. :)

I've a bit different explanation in my Modeling thread... didn't want to go into too many boring details here.  Oh... yes you are right I am picky. frown

Post edited by wgdjohn on

Wow... in our thread about how Carrara stacks up to Big Boy software, I was looking at some of this other software - I think it was Houdini - the new 16 which is causing quite a stir these days - I was amazed at how smoothly and cleanly it can perform Booleans operations, which could really help to make short work of all of this! 

Besides... you'll speed up automagically. Your passion to get better at modeling seems to have you building steam. Nowhere to go but forward! ;)

Great job, Sir!!!