Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• Crescent said:

I sent a trouble ticket in for this as well.

Can you leave a note on the ticket that says I'm already on the issue please?  If possible I wouldn't want them to take the time for processing the request and contacting me since I already have a fix cooking

• DestinysGardenDestinysGarden Posts: 2,549

Cheers DT. Really good product.

• Thanks DG!  I'm happy to hear you like it.

I have a fix for the Full Preset UV issue that people can grab here.  I'll post a link in the original post too.  After a people have a few more days to play with things I'll submit it to QA and have them issue the update (at this point they likely wouldn't see it until Monday in any case).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lkvd468jm6y4357/DTTS - Fix For Full Shaders.zip

• I've been waiting for this thing with baited breath for weeks. The cruelty of being sick in bed the day it came out -.- This is my first attempt at something. My inspiration was painterly styled anime sprites from visual novel games.

The diffuse layer of the girl's hair, skin, and clothes uses a texture I hacked together myself, not one that is bundled with sketchy. It's just a picture of watercolor paper with the levels adjusted to increase the contrast. It has several significant problems, currently. I'm not good at textures and am struggling to figure how to make it tile properly. So, uh, don't look too closely. The outline texture is the "sketch" texture included with the product.

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

I've been waiting for this thing with baited breath for weeks. The cruelty of being sick in bed the day it came out -.- This is my first attempt at something. My inspiration was painterly styled anime sprites from visual novel games.

The diffuse layer of the girl's hair, skin, and clothes uses a texture I hacked together myself, not one that is bundled with sketchy. It's just a picture of watercolor paper with the levels adjusted to increase the contrast. It has several significant problems, currently. I'm not good at textures and am struggling to figure how to make it tile properly. So, uh, don't look too closely. The outline texture is the "sketch" texture included with the product.

Beautiful. :)

• Beautiful. :)

Thank you so much :3

• CrescentCrescent Posts: 319

Genesis loads by default with the Victoria 4 UV Set so it wouldn't have been obvious with Hitomi.  A lot of people don't have the add-ons that let newer figures use V4's UV Set so it's not surprising the problem was missed.  (And naturally I trigged it immediately because I'm gifted at breaking things.)

I noted in the trouble ticket that you'd be submitting a fix to QA and resolved the ticket so all should be good on that end.

Thanks!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

'Why the heck would you want to make a PBR like Iray do nonphotorealistic stuff like this rather than something good at it?'

Because sometimes you want to do something like this, without a huge amount of compositing.

(The only postwork was making it half the original render size. It also rendered in maybe 6 minutes)

Sketchyroom.png
    2160 x 2160 - 7M

Starting to get the hang of this and liking it more.

Should see if I can figure out a way to get more of an ink/brush-like line.

Marius Reclining Sketchy.png
    2160 x 2160 - 7M
  • Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited March 2017

Start to finished on this one - about 15 minutes.  :)  I just used the Full Shader Basic A.  Kept it simple the first time around.

Used:
    Toon Generation 2
    Broken Doll Outfit
    Peggy Hair for Genesis 3 Females
    Thorn

joy.jpg
    982 x 1042 - 787K
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • 'Why the heck would you want to make a PBR like Iray do nonphotorealistic stuff like this rather than something good at it?'

For me personally, I enjoy the challenege of no postwork npr renders, and I like tweaking things in iray preview... so, I guess my answer is "because i can" and "because i'm lazy" hehe

Found a good reference image for me stare at. I noticed the scene is generally very soft, almost blurry, so I added some bloom, brightened and desaturated, and made the sketch look a little more pronounced. Getting there...

I made an actual watercolor paper texture so it should look better on that front.

• Digital Lite DesignDigital Lite Design Posts: 728
    edited March 2017

Same image (I loved her expression!) Different settings.  :)

joy2.jpg
    988 x 1081 - 823K
    Post edited by Digital Lite Design on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    JesterVII said:

Here is my first test render with these shaders.

Render Time: 1hr 20min (Comp is older and not designed for 3D art.)

That came out great! :)

I have been know to say in the past that to get toon renders out of Iray is a bit like driving a nail with a sponge cake. The sponge cakes must be pretty solid where you come from DT. Congrats on the product.

Here is my humble contribution. I post original render and sketchified render for comparison. I did not use the sketchy shaders on the eyes, but left them as my toon style eyes that were originaly made specifically to be used in conjunction with specialty render style shaders such as these.

Oh hey, one more note-when I apllied any of the 01 Full Shaders to my Keiko figure, the UV map bounced to Victoria 4. I had to manually change it back to Genesis 2 Base Female. Is it supposed to be doing that?

Ohhh I like that! That came out really cool!

Those eyes are incredible too. What character is that?

edited March 2017
    Crescent said:

I found a problem with the pack - the shaders in the "01 Full Shaders" set have the UV Set saved in the settings.  If you have a figure which can use the Victoria 4 UV Set (I have it for all 3 Genesis females), it will change the UV set to the Victoria 4 UV Set.  The UV Set can be changed back as a workaround, but the shaders ought to be fixed to have that setting taken out.

I didn't test every shader in the "01 Full Shaders" folder, but the first 5 all had that problem.  I spot checked the other folders and didn't encounter the issue so hopefully it's just that one folder.

If the shaders are used on a figure that doesn't have the Victoria 4 UV Set as an option, the UV Set remains unchanged.

I sent a trouble ticket in for this as well.

I'm getting this issue too. I thought it was just me doing something wrong. I'm glad that it's not just me.

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

I've been waiting for this thing with baited breath for weeks. The cruelty of being sick in bed the day it came out -.- This is my first attempt at something. My inspiration was painterly styled anime sprites from visual novel games.

Looks great!

Same image (I loved her expression!) Different settings.  :)

They both look great.  Not sure which I like better.  I do love her expression!  She has a cute little companion, too!  :)

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318
    edited March 2017

'Having spent so much money on digital clothes and shoes in the March Madness sale that she was forced to just draw her own, Doris conceded that her addiction may be becoming a bit of a problem...'

Slow_On_The_Draw.png
    600 x 800 - 278K
    Post edited by BlueIrene on

'Having spent so much money on digital clothes and shoes in the March Madness sale that she was forced to just draw her own, Doris conceded that her addiction may be becoming a bit of a problem...'

hahah That's a funny concept. I like it! Nicely done!

•  

I'm getting this issue too. I thought it was just me doing something wrong. I'm glad that it's not just me.

Did you grab the temoporary fix that I posted?  There's a link for some updated files in the original post for this thread now.

I have been know to say in the past that to get toon renders out of Iray is a bit like driving a nail with a sponge cake. The sponge cakes must be pretty solid where you come from DT. Congrats on the product.

Here is my humble contribution. I post original render and sketchified render for comparison. I did not use the sketchy shaders on the eyes, but left them as my toon style eyes that were originaly made specifically to be used in conjunction with specialty render style shaders such as these.

Oh hey, one more note-when I apllied any of the 01 Full Shaders to my Keiko figure, the UV map bounced to Victoria 4. I had to manually change it back to Genesis 2 Base Female. Is it supposed to be doing that?

Character morph is straight Keiko 6 with skin, eyebrows and eyes from http://www.daz3d.com/dg-iray-toon-styles-for-genesis-2.

Did you grab the temoporary fix that I posted?  There's a link for some updated files in the original post for this thread now.

Oh I didn't see those. Thank you! :)

Character morph is straight Keiko 6 with skin, eyebrows and eyes from http://www.daz3d.com/dg-iray-toon-styles-for-genesis-2.

Oh man! I want those - they look so good with this Sketchy program. Hopefully it will go on sale soon. heheh :) I've spent too much lately to pay full price. Not that they don't look worth the price. I'm sure they're worth every penny.

Thanks, DG! I'm looking forward to getting it. I think that it will make a wonderful companion to the Sketchy shaders. 

Oh man! I want those - they look so good with this Sketchy program. Hopefully it will go on sale soon. heheh :) I've spent too much lately to pay full price. Not that they don't look worth the price. I'm sure they're worth every penny.

Thanks, DG! I'm looking forward to getting it. I think that it will make a wonderful companion to the Sketchy shaders. 

No probelm my dear. Now let us not hijack DT's thread any further. Thanks for posting the fix DT.

Who else has Sketchy renders?

• You know that phrase oft proffered when referencing the Civilization games? The "one more turn" of legend? Well, I have been experimenting for three straight hours with this thing, and my stated intention was along the lines of "just twenty minutes, to see if it performs as I expect it to". Short answer: it does.

Long answer: this is a time sink. There are so many things you can tweak to get the effects just so that it is almost as much a curse as a blessing. The ability to fine tune the colors of both outline and diffuse effects for every surface certainly contributes to the illusion of having a drawn figure with the aid of variously colored pencils, and just adjusting the scale (not to mention the strength) of the multiple (multiple as in plentiful, for there are many) draw styles dramatically changes a figure from softly silhouetted to harshly sketched. It is marvelous.

The only caveat in my regard is that of the lack of a geometry shell preset, such that it may be applied over objects with their own special shaders (like DimensionTheory's own Anodized presets), yet I am sure that playing around with the opacity settings shan't prove too much of a chore.

PS: Apologies for my idiosyncratic writing. I fear recent readings have left me a bit touched in the head.

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180

'Why the heck would you want to make a PBR like Iray do nonphotorealistic stuff like this rather than something good at it?'

Because sometimes you want to do something like this, without a huge amount of compositing.

(The only postwork was making it half the original render size. It also rendered in maybe 6 minutes)

Very cool idea. Lifelike characters living in a "Sketchy" world. Brilliant.

• JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    edited March 2017

Of all the renders I have done over the past 5-10 years I think this one is my favorite. Thank you for these shaders.

http://www.daz3d.com/weaponmech

http://www.daz3d.com/cyborg-model-4

http://www.daz3d.com/shades-of-atlantis-cobalt-hierophant

http://www.daz3d.com/wild-hearts-wildenlander-for-m4

J.A.C.S.2.jpg
    390 x 596 - 76K
    Post edited by JesterVII on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078

When posting images to the DAZ gallery, if possible, please remember to mark what products you used. It helps both the author of the products and potential future buyers.

• JesterVIIJesterVII Posts: 175
    JesterVII said:

Here is my first test render with these shaders.

Render Time: 1hr 20min (Comp is older and not designed for 3D art.)

That came out great! :)

Thank you

Only postwork was reducing size and brightening it a little.

Sketch Hiro Moves.png
    1080 x 1080 - 3M
  • After playing with Sketchy for a couple of days now, I have a couple of questions:

1) Do objects with Sketchy applied not respond to lights in the scene? I've been driving myself batty trying out different light sets. (I've found that some DS plug-ins don't work as well on the Mac so I've gotten a little paranoid...) One of the things I'd been looking forward to was using Sketchy with some of the emissive light sets for special effects and such. The picture below is one I just converted from pwToon.

2) Is there a way to alter the shading to change the sharpness from normal diffuse to diffuse shaded areas? That was a handy feature in pwToon because it allowed for different looks. I could simulate plastic or metal with a sharp transition, or skin and cloth with a smoother transition.

3) Sketchy offers some Specular controls, but I can't find any documentation on how to use them. Am I missing something somewhere? I'm not an Iray expert so I'm not sure how the Specular controls could be changed for different looks.

I'm having fun exploring Sketchy's capabilities. I'd been resisting going from 3Delight and pwToon to Iray because I prefer doing non-photorealistic rendering, but Sketchy's making me reconsider my life choices.  wink

Quicksilver01_iToon.png
    773 x 1000 - 329K