Carrara Challenge #31 Music For My Eyes

Comments

• wgdjohnwgdjohn Posts: 2,634
    edited March 2017

Diomede said:

- Wgdjohn - wavy morph is very fluid.  Good job.  Did you use the vertex modeler to make a formal morph?  Or, did you apply a wave modifier?  Or, something else?  In any case, looking forward to  how you integrate it in your scene.

Thanks!  Vertex modeler for formal morph of course... it's only one.  Much easier to change for any copies of the Staff.  I used Soft Select to move the bars up/down... very cool since Morphs are easily adjustable.  This was the 4th time I've added Morphs since watching PhilW's Advanced Carrara Techniques.  For those interested it is on Disk 3 under Modeling Furniture... first tutorial "Modeling A Morphing Cushion" Morphing is mentioned at "6:20" through.

wgdjohn said:

No worries the real problem was that I was selecting the wrong thing.  I was selecting the main title instead of actor and the parameters tab was not showing up at all.  So not really your fault lol.

So this is as far as I can go tonight, next, I am going to try to model some musical notes.  Not sure if I will figure it out in time so I may end up having to do the notes in photoshop.  But i'm going to try lol.

If you run out of time to model music notes and symbols I grabbed "MusiSync" from California Fonts after discovering I didn't have a music font.  While I'm modeling as many as I can there are a few I don't want to attempt right now.  You do know that Carrara has a Font editor which creates 3D fonts from ones that you have installed.  Just simply type in and away you go. :)   The "Trebel Cleft" in my last WIP post is from "MusiSync" which has a lot more in it.

Thanks!  I orignally wanted to do it with a font but wasn't sure how to go about it.  Now I have to figure out how and where to install fonts so it can find it lol.  The things you didn't know you needed to know how to do!  That's a good thing though, I eventually want to take a stab at creating book covers, so at some point, I will need to know that anyway.  I had a conversation with some friends on installing fonts I just have to go track it down.

If using Windoze you will find Fonts folder, marked in red text, here "C:\Windows\Fonts"  At first I couldn't get Carrara to recognize it so I loaded the "MusiSync.ttf" font into TypeTool by FontLab and saved it... saved me the time of downloading a font installer or using Windoze Exploder, "Windows Explorer" :)  Note you can also have different font directories to keep fonts elsewhere but be careful to always keep them there or they won't be found..

Post edited by wgdjohn on
  • StezzaStezza Posts: 7,750

For Windows users extract the font from the zip  file right mouse click the font and select install.. restart Carrara if it was open and there you have it.

yes

wgdjohn said:

No worries the real problem was that I was selecting the wrong thing.  I was selecting the main title instead of actor and the parameters tab was not showing up at all.  So not really your fault lol.

So this is as far as I can go tonight, next, I am going to try to model some musical notes.  Not sure if I will figure it out in time so I may end up having to do the notes in photoshop.  But i'm going to try lol.

If you run out of time to model music notes and symbols I grabbed "MusiSync" from California Fonts after discovering I didn't have a music font.  While I'm modeling as many as I can there are a few I don't want to attempt right now.  You do know that Carrara has a Font editor which creates 3D fonts from ones that you have installed.  Just simply type in and away you go. :)   The "Trebel Cleft" in my last WIP post is from "MusiSync" which has a lot more in it.

Thanks!  I orignally wanted to do it with a font but wasn't sure how to go about it.  Now I have to figure out how and where to install fonts so it can find it lol.  The things you didn't know you needed to know how to do!  That's a good thing though, I eventually want to take a stab at creating book covers, so at some point, I will need to know that anyway.  I had a conversation with some friends on installing fonts I just have to go track it down.

• chickenmanchickenman Posts: 1,202

I see the knowledgeable one has returned to normal and returned to the normal name.

Now we will have these quotes with Darth in them and no one will know who it was in a year.

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 14,997

Sorry, no intent to cause more confusion for relatively new Carrara users.  Hope it is all sorted out for you.  And, thanks for the kind words for the WIP with the formula background. 

For newer people, like myself, there is sometimes a difficulty in staying centered while reading posts on this forum.  There is so much new information, jargon to decipher, and people to remember.  I must tell you, when you changed your name, it added to my confusion. sad

edited March 2017

Not an entry.

EDIT:  This is an entry.

An old Daz figure, Victoria 3, hollywood hair, morphing cocktail dress, and some Daz prop headphones.

Just doodling with the NPR render engine, and some multipasses from a regular render.

Not an entry V3 listen 1b.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 475K
    Not an entry V3 listen 1b poster filter.jpg
    1200 x 1600 - 1M
    Post edited by Diomede on
  • PhilWPhilW Posts: 5,139

Nice job - it reminds me of an image I did last year (again not an extry).

Saga Listening PleasureFinal.jpg
    1600 x 2000 - 836K
  • UnifiedBrainUnifiedBrain Posts: 3,588
    edited March 2017
    Love all the inspired work I have seen to date Keep it up.

I was hoping to get a few more who are new to Carrara but o well.

Fear not, Chickenman.  There is plenty of time left for us newbies to get our acts together.

Besides, as everyone knows...

...It ain't over till the fat lady sings swings!

I decided to use V3, because I had almost no experience with her.  Quite a robust character (lots of morphs).  Used M4 for the guys.

I also wanted to know how Carrara handled 13 characters.  It started getting a little sluggish, but no big deal.

All the instruments and most of the props, including the stage, are right out of the Carrara native objects browser.  Most even have pretty decent original textures.

I'm about 4 months into the Carrara experiment (went cold turkey from Daz Studio).  My first goal was to get as comfortable in Carrara as I was in Studio, just doing basic clothing, posing, lights, and shaders.  Starting to feel more at home here now, and loving the extra tools that Carrara brings to the table!

I plan on starting to model this month, and dip a toe into animation next month.

V3 Fat lady SWINGS A.png
    1800 x 1040 - 2M
    Fat Lady WIP Carrara.PNG
    1725 x 1032 - 1M
    Post edited by UnifiedBrain on

UnifiedBrain - yes, yes, yes.  "The opry aint over 'til the fat lady sings!"  (Note - although variations of the "fat lady" saying have been around for a very long time, older American sports fans may recall that the "fat lady" phrase was embraced by the NBA champion Washington Bullets of the late '70s).  Perfect late entry, except it is not even late yet.  Great to see you use some of the the older figures. Yes, they remain versatile.  yes

For any basketball fans...

http://wizofawes.com/2015/03/05/washington-bullets-1978-nba-championship-season-fat-lady-sang/

edited March 2017

Thanks, Diomede!  The full "fat lady" story here.

Post edited by UnifiedBrain on
    Diomede said:

Not an entry.

An old Daz figure, Victoria 3, hollywood hair, morphing cocktail dress, and some Daz prop headphones.

Just doodling with the NPR render engine, and some multipasses from a regular render.

Should be an entry!  You and head wax do amazing stuff in NPR.  I've never even tried it yet, to be honest.

Thanks for the encouragement, PhilW and UnifiedBrain.  Can't be an entry because I am already at my 3 image limit.  I could substitute my V3 headphones image for my ZZ Top image, but I think UB has cornered the market on V3.  Great job.

PhilW, your headphones are extraordinary.

• StezzaStezza Posts: 7,750

Love the render @UnifiedBrain and even better that you utilised V3

great use of lighting as well and the poses of the band members... I know it takes time to get them right A1

@Diomede I would vote for this one over the others by far... great doodling

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

These setups sound amazing! Looks like a cool scene too! 

Thank you, Dartanbeck

Diomede said:

- Alberto - that is an excellent project.  The reference image is fascinating.  I like how you put a portrait in the backdrop in the scene tab.  Not sure everyone saw that.  Good tip.  I checked out the Attiria webpage. Bravo

Thank you, Diomede.

The portrait in the backdrop was used for reference only (the Gafuri drawing is too crude). I used M4 with facial morphs.

• AlbertoAlberto Posts: 1,381

I added some details. I modeled the bells, the glasses, the table, the shelf and the sticks only. The room is Opus Magnum http://www.daz3d.com/opus-magnum

Pitagoras2.jpg
    1440 x 900 - 293K
  • pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited March 2017

Wow som great stuff!  This is more figurative than literal - I call it "Space Music"

Stars and galactic plane are mine, Earth is my composition from high res NASA images.  ISS and astronaut are from NASA free models page, with some modifications to add in textures.

spacemusic.png
    1920 x 1080 - 2M
    Screenshot 2017-03-02 23.53.05.png
    4096 x 2160 - 3M
    Post edited by pnewhook on
    Stezza said:

Love the render @UnifiedBrain and even better that you utilised V3

great use of lighting as well and the poses of the band members... I know it takes time to get them right A1

Praise from a pose Master.  Thanks, Stezza!

Very Kewl renders Folks... keep up the great works.

Reminds me I'd better get myself out of the Vertex Modeler and onto the scene that I have an idea for.  More musical notes and notation will just have to wait for another day.

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited March 2017

I'm afraid to ask what happened.  This is how my saved scene loaded.  This is not what it looked like when I saved it.....And, how do I fix it?

Doc2.png
    2040 x 1080 - 3M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Oh, nooooooo!

I'm afraid to ask what happened.  This is how my saved scene loaded.  This is not what it looked like when I saved it.....And, how do I fix it?

The first thing that I would do is select the offending garment, go to the properties tab on the right side, set the "fit to" choice to NONE.  Then re-fit the garment to your figure.  Sort of like the tech folks telling you to reboot your computer, only less extreme. 

If that doesn't work, might help to know which figure you are using and which clothing product.

• DartanbeckDartanbeck Posts: 21,099

Right, but it looks like other anomalies have occurred....

edited March 2017

Its gen 2 and neo anayne the dress part.  I just deleted it and put a sweater on her. It looks better anyway. But I will keep that in mind the next time it happens.  So I have my 3d notes loaded.  Is there a way to make the whole line spiral, or curve?

musical notes.png
    2040 x 1080 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • pnewhookpnewhook Posts: 70
    edited March 2017

Here's my second music based entry WIP.  It just sort of evolved this way..

beachmusic.png
    1920 x 1080 - 3M
    Screenshot 2017-03-02 23.34.44.png
    4096 x 2160 - 1M
    Post edited by pnewhook on

Try out the Bend and Twist Modifier, shown, at top.  You can enter the amount along with which axis and even set it to twist a bit too.  Note that you will likely  want the X axis... Also if you are bending a group of objects they will be wider at the back and narrower at the front, don't ask why... I suspect it may have to do to the location of the axis of the group being in the center or there may be another feature to edit this.  Oh... if your objects are seperate you it will work as stated.  It should also work on a group. It will work on any object that has enough geometry... I don't know about Text ojects.  It work on a Vertex cylinder with various settings for segments... Not an Assembly room cylinder which has only a top and bottom circle and only 1 segment inbetween... Make sense?

You can also do this with a Replica Array or Replicate... I checked both out but could figure anthing out right away... besides you just want to bend what you already have... not make more copies of 1

Bend_Modifier.png
    1366 x 768 - 277K
    edited March 2017

Adjusted shaders today after adding a thin cube for the lattice effect, Enhance C by DCG... that took awhile to figure out how to get an Alpha channel version of this... had to switch a color around, of course,... hard part was figuring out what setting to change for lattice to reverse it.  The cabinet colour is simply a Mixer with Turbulence Noise with XYZ all changed for sizes.

For the past 2 days I modeled the Speaker cabinet... can't take credit for the Speakers... it, 1, from ShareCG with is a .car file which has a morph to have the diaphram move and the object itself is very well done.   If you want it the filename is in my Modeling thread... just posted yesterday there.  What I had yesterday for the cabinet is also posted.

Music_Speaker_06b_WIP.png
    640 x 480 - 387K
    Post edited by wgdjohn on

Thank you!  I will give that a go tomorrow, it looks like that will work for wat I have in mind.

• VyusurVyusur Posts: 2,235
    edited March 2017

Entry II «Wired to the music»

Red dress and cable are modeled by me.

Custom Blender morphing on Genesis 2 female base.

2017-03-03_1327.png
    890 x 1021 - 987K
    WiredToTheMusic.jpg
    1000 x 1200 - 329K
    Post edited by Vyusur on
  • MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675

Entry Thread Closes/Voting Begins: 12.00 Midnight Eastern Sunday 12 March 2017

whole week left!

MistyRara said:

whole week left!

Timely comment!  I had a question about this.

The entry rules say:

WIP Thread Opens: Tuesday 7 Feb 2017

Entry Thread Opens: Sunday 5 March 2017

It says nothing about a WIP closing date.  Does this mean that WIP's are permitted up until 12 March as well?

Yes.  You are correct.

MistyRara said:

whole week left!

Timely comment!  I had a question about this.

The entry rules say:

WIP Thread Opens: Tuesday 7 Feb 2017

Entry Thread Opens: Sunday 5 March 2017

It says nothing about a WIP closing date.  Does this mean that WIP's are permitted up until 12 March as well?

Diomede said:

Yes.  You are correct.

Yay!  May get a third entry in.  The 2nd one is forthcoming.

Thanks!