Subdivision Vs Smoothing in Hex

More2burnMore2burn Posts: 0
edited January 2013 in Hexagon Discussion

HI,

I'm working on a model in Hex and when I needed to subdivide the mesh, I found myself looking for a button somewhere. I found a link on the forum to a tut about subdivision in hex, but it was a dead link. Is smoothing adding more geometry or just telling the edges how to render? If its adding more.... How do you see it?

Thanks

Post edited by More2burn on

Comments

• More2burnMore2burn Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I just found the smoothing options and played around with them.... didn't know hex supported hard edges too... Kool :) The subdivision at the setting of 1 adds too much for me to use though. Open to suggestions about alternative ways to subdivide or any other advice.

• ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Smoothing of 1 or more levels is subdivision in Hex

If smoothing of 1 creates a mesh that is too dense then you would have to model using lines & curves with the required number of points and then create surfaces from those curves and lines. The number of points on each line or curve determines the density of your mesh.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Subdivision and smoothing has the same result in Hex - each level multiplies the number of facets by four. You can see the physical changes in the mesh immediately and you can read off the number of facets in the properties panel. To actually see the new edges, you will have to collapse DG. Collapsing DG can be reversed through undo, as long as you haven't saved it in that state.

The difference between using the two methods is that with using the smoothing command under the surfaces tab, you get to choose between a number of smoothing algorithms as well as having access to breaks (hard edges),tensions and partial smoothing.