Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

18911131450

Comments

  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    ok another dolphin render. tried to make the specular colors a bit more subtle

    glass-dolphin3.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 141K
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

    @Rareth:
    I liked the second (dark shades) and the second from back (bright blue-green) materials the most. Although the last render looks great the glass is so reflective that (except for the tail) it doesn't look for me like a glass any more.

    @David Brinnen:
    Thank you for sharing weave bump/displace/height map.

    Post edited by dwsel on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    dwsel_ said:
    @Rareth:
    I liked the second (dark shades) and the second from back (bright blue-green) materials the most. Although the last render looks great the glass is so reflective that (except for the tail) it doesn't look for me like a glass any more.

    @David Brinnen:
    Thank you for sharing weave bump/displace/height map.

    part of the problem with the last one is the HDRI is set a tad high, the dolphin itself has 50% transparency and 50% reflection,
    I can go back the other way but I thought the colors were a bit too much.

  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

    @David: Thank you for the explanation, I should have remembered it from your video tutorial. DUH! :-) Now to learn how to use the Spherical Mapper.

    @Rareth: Despite the dolphin colors, it's still an amazing image. Where'd the dolphin come from?

    @Jay: Thanks. It was a real surprise to me that the lighting for the temple did as good as you see in the image. I got the lighting like I wanted it for the long shot, but up close, whoa, nice. And I'm sticking a fork in it. Now to work on the mountains and get them how I envision them.

    @eireann: Grass balls now? Or is topiary your new hobby? Love the look, just don't drop it in the grass.

  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    GussNemo said:
    I thought about trying this image not long after completing the entire scene. But CRS kicked in and it just now left, thank goodness. :lol: Anyway, I've moved the camera in close to the temple, so a bit of the stone in the center of the dome and details of the temple can be seen. I like how the temple turned out with this view, but I'm not real happy how the mountains rendered. Seems to me the cragginess of them would be more pronounced with the camera setting closer. I tried editing he terrain, rotating the material, but still not happy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

    It's maybe not the terrain material that has to be fixed but the terrain itself?

    I see you're trying to create walls around that scene, but it seems that the height you're trying to stretch them too is too great for the map resolution to handle them. Instead stretching so strongly I'd rotate each of the walls towards the viewer and then eventually stretch them to fit your desired height - as plus you get some slight overhangs. If you'll be seeing unwanted edgesof the terrain at the top just paint them out with black or use gaussian edges filter.

    Also I've noticed you've switched to long lens (narrower camera angle). Such lens can exhibit DOF when focused on nearby objects i.e. the object inside the temple. Using DOF will with such lens will make your mountains look to be placed further, and you're going to loose some of the texture details (rendering will be more forgiving for textures).

    I've made a sample scene that would fit this description:
    - 40_distance_c - mountains a bit too far, DOF too strong, focus on the figure heads
    - 40_distance_d - moved mountains closer to surround the main object more
    - 40_distance_e - changed light so that the shadow hides the right and left mountains join line, lowered DOF as I thought it was too strong

    For main material I've used simple material with plain, single slot texture voronoi noise in diffuse and bump channel.

    40_distance_e.png
    400 x 300 - 261K
    40_distance_d.png
    400 x 300 - 247K
    40_distance_c.png
    400 x 300 - 243K
    40_distance_top.png
    402 x 302 - 125K
    40_distance_side.png
    402 x 302 - 97K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    GussNemo said:
    @David: Thank you for the explanation, I should have remembered it from your video tutorial. DUH! :-) Now to learn how to use the Spherical Mapper.

    @Rareth: Despite the dolphin colors, it's still an amazing image. Where'd the dolphin come from?

    @Jay: Thanks. It was a real surprise to me that the lighting for the temple did as good as you see in the image. I got the lighting like I wanted it for the long shot, but up close, whoa, nice. And I'm sticking a fork in it. Now to work on the mountains and get them how I envision them.

    @eireann: Grass balls now? Or is topiary your new hobby? Love the look, just don't drop it in the grass.

    The dolphin? he wandered into DAZ studio from Poser and couldn't find his way back.

  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    another skyscaper whch I've shamelessly stole from Dubai.. (that and to see for myself how to do it)
    again just stacked primatives, this time it is all cylinders 4 to make one story, then multi-replicate by the side of the group (y) and rotated by 1 degree each story. (I made it an 80 floor building not counting the lobby which you can't see here.

    sky-scraper2-daz.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 126K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,070
    edited January 2013

    @Rareth - I like how the dolphin renders came out. Not sure which is my favorite as they all look good.

    I also like your skyscrapers. This new one (posted just above) looks really good.

    Post edited by Miss B on
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    Miss B said:
    @Rareth - I like who the dolphin renders came out. Not sure which is my favorite as they all look good.

    I also like your skyscrapers. This new one (posted just above) looks really good.

    the skyscrapers are unbelievably simple to do, at least mine are.
    4 cylinders to make 1 floor (story)
    floor
    railing
    windows
    ceiling same
    no booleans operations
    the floor and ceiling are silver white (from metals automotive paint)
    the railing is from Architechture metal cage I think..
    the window is one of the pattern glass ones
    then just stack them
    railing sits on floor
    windows sits on floor but is smaller on the x and z axis than railing so its inside railing
    ceiling sits on windows
    select them
    group them
    go to A for the group to get the height
    go to EDIT -> multi-replicate off set Y by the height, input the number of replicates and click ok.. poof instant building

  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    exploded view of a skyscraper level

    skyscraper-explode.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 86K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    stacked view of a skyscraper level

    skyscraper-base.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 378K
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,070
    edited December 1969

    Interesting. Thanks for the detailed explanation and screenshots.

  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    a work in progress, here's hoping I have the patience to finish it....

    LeaningPisa.jpg
    877 x 437 - 234K
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited January 2013

    @dwsel: Thank you very much for the information. The textures I'd like to see are on the right mountain in your third image. I can create mountains that look nice, but not with the degree of detail you have in that third image. I did try increasing the eroding of the mountains, but, eh, not what I wanted. How can I get detail similar to what you have in that third image?

    Also, since there are several Voronoi choices in the noise filter, is there one in particular that works best--even though I had an idea what this was I still had to open Bryce to make sure. I need a good memory course. :-) How does one paint with black? I can't remember hearing about this. And one last question, this time, about gaussian edges filter. The material I chose has Gaussian selected for the filter--opened Bryce again to make sure I knew what this referred to, with only the Alpha channel selected in the first component.

    The mountains in your images are larger than mine, so maybe a different material would work better(?). It's the easiest to try first, then repositioning if new material doesn't work. Again, thanks for the information.

    @Rareth: Good thing that dolphin lost its way, that base would look mighty bare without it. You are using the KISS principle in building that building. Such a simple technique produces such a nice looking building. I learn something every time I visit here. Thanks for the lessons. And your last building, temple(?) looks great. More primitives?

    Post edited by GussNemo on
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 3,330
    edited December 1969

    chohole said:
    Rareth said:
    Rareth – the skyscraper is very nice. I agree with GussNemo 5 minutes for someone who knows Booleaning. ;-) I like the dolphins, the last one is superb.

    Michael – another stunning image.

    David – your experiments are very informative. One day, I hope in the near future, I will understand it all.

    GussNemo – the lighting is cool, nice camera position.

    as I said, there are no booleans in that skyscraper, just stacked primatives

    Pardon my ignorance, but isn't stacking some sort of boolean too. I really need to go back to the basics.

    No stacking is just like playing with kids building bricks, but in a 3 d world. Pile one on top of the other. :)

    Thanks for the explanation. I will give it a try

  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 3,330
    edited December 1969

    dwsel_ said:
    GussNemo said:
    I thought about trying this image not long after completing the entire scene. But CRS kicked in and it just now left, thank goodness. :lol: Anyway, I've moved the camera in close to the temple, so a bit of the stone in the center of the dome and details of the temple can be seen. I like how the temple turned out with this view, but I'm not real happy how the mountains rendered. Seems to me the cragginess of them would be more pronounced with the camera setting closer. I tried editing he terrain, rotating the material, but still not happy. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

    It's maybe not the terrain material that has to be fixed but the terrain itself?

    I see you're trying to create walls around that scene, but it seems that the height you're trying to stretch them too is too great for the map resolution to handle them. Instead stretching so strongly I'd rotate each of the walls towards the viewer and then eventually stretch them to fit your desired height - as plus you get some slight overhangs. If you'll be seeing unwanted edgesof the terrain at the top just paint them out with black or use gaussian edges filter.

    Also I've noticed you've switched to long lens (narrower camera angle). Such lens can exhibit DOF when focused on nearby objects i.e. the object inside the temple. Using DOF will with such lens will make your mountains look to be placed further, and you're going to loose some of the texture details (rendering will be more forgiving for textures).

    I've made a sample scene that would fit this description:
    - 40_distance_c - mountains a bit too far, DOF too strong, focus on the figure heads
    - 40_distance_d - moved mountains closer to surround the main object more
    - 40_distance_e - changed light so that the shadow hides the right and left mountains join line, lowered DOF as I thought it was too strong

    For main material I've used simple material with plain, single slot texture voronoi noise in diffuse and bump channel.

    Thanks dwsel for including the wireframes. I found this explanation informative.

  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 3,330
    edited December 1969

    Rareth said:
    Miss B said:
    @Rareth - I like who the dolphin renders came out. Not sure which is my favorite as they all look good.

    I also like your skyscrapers. This new one (posted just above) looks really good.

    the skyscrapers are unbelievably simple to do, at least mine are.
    4 cylinders to make 1 floor (story)
    floor
    railing
    windows
    ceiling same
    no booleans operations
    the floor and ceiling are silver white (from metals automotive paint)
    the railing is from Architechture metal cage I think..
    the window is one of the pattern glass ones
    then just stack them
    railing sits on floor
    windows sits on floor but is smaller on the x and z axis than railing so its inside railing
    ceiling sits on windows
    select them
    group them
    go to A for the group to get the height
    go to EDIT -> multi-replicate off set Y by the height, input the number of replicates and click ok.. poof instant building

    Wow now I understand why it took you only 5 minutes. Thanks Rareth for this explanation and the images that followed in the next 2 posts.

  • HoroHoro Posts: 7,880
    edited December 1969

    GussNemo said:
    How does one paint with black? I can't remember hearing about this.

    Looking for this? Just move the red dot down. You can draw in any shade of grey.
    te.jpg
    152 x 352 - 15K
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 3,330
    edited December 1969

    Although this did not take 5 min but it was so simple to do once I understood what stacking meant and the materials available in the material lab. Thanks Rareth.

    skyscaper2.jpg
    960 x 720 - 100K
  • dwseldwsel Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

    @mermaid010:
    You're welcome

    GussNemo said:
    @dwsel: Thank you very much for the information. The textures I'd like to see are on the right mountain in your third image. I can create mountains that look nice, but not with the degree of detail you have in that third image. I did try increasing the eroding of the mountains, but, eh, not what I wanted. How can I get detail similar to what you have in that third image?

    Also, since there are several Voronoi choices in the noise filter, is there one in particular that works best--even though I had an idea what this was I still had to open Bryce to make sure. I need a good memory course. :-) How does one paint with black? I can't remember hearing about this. And one last question, this time, about gaussian edges filter. The material I chose has Gaussian selected for the filter--opened Bryce again to make sure I knew what this referred to, with only the Alpha channel selected in the first component.

    The mountains in your images are larger than mine, so maybe a different material would work better(?). It's the easiest to try first, then repositioning if new material doesn't work. Again, thanks for the information.

    It's only a bumpmap that's making this effect. I'm posting the material settings below. For texture I might suggest something more complicated at least rising number of octaves. You can see on clay render that the mountain is quite smooth and lowres at the other side - but that's just enough to make an impression of roughness using bumpmap.

    The 'gaussian edges' filter I wrote about refers to the terrain editor filter not texture editor filter. The other question seems to be answered by Horo already.

    I'm not sure if they're bigger - if yes then the material scale could be tweaked to match desired texture scale. Your mountains terrains have quite strong noise that when stretched vertically may not plat well with material presets that take slope onto account. If smoothing won't help much - I'd just recreate them from the scratch.

    edges.png
    284 x 190 - 15K
    40_distance_e_clay.png
    400 x 300 - 132K
    40_tex.png
    601 x 234 - 117K
    40_mat.png
    493 x 359 - 262K
    40_dist_material.png
    300 x 400 - 123K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    GussNemo said:
    @dwsel: Thank you very much for the information. The textures I'd like to see are on the right mountain in your third image. I can create mountains that look nice, but not with the degree of detail you have in that third image. I did try increasing the eroding of the mountains, but, eh, not what I wanted. How can I get detail similar to what you have in that third image?

    Also, since there are several Voronoi choices in the noise filter, is there one in particular that works best--even though I had an idea what this was I still had to open Bryce to make sure. I need a good memory course. :-) How does one paint with black? I can't remember hearing about this. And one last question, this time, about gaussian edges filter. The material I chose has Gaussian selected for the filter--opened Bryce again to make sure I knew what this referred to, with only the Alpha channel selected in the first component.

    The mountains in your images are larger than mine, so maybe a different material would work better(?). It's the easiest to try first, then repositioning if new material doesn't work. Again, thanks for the information.

    @Rareth: Good thing that dolphin lost its way, that base would look mighty bare without it. You are using the KISS principle in building that building. Such a simple technique produces such a nice looking building. I learn something every time I visit here. Thanks for the lessons. And your last building, temple(?) looks great. More primitives?

    following a tutorial on how to make the leaning tower of Pisa, so I've been following that.

    the parts where I have to move the origination handle to do some of the multi-replicates have become the bane of my existance..

  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    Although this did not take 5 min but it was so simple to do once I understood what stacking meant and the materials available in the material lab. Thanks Rareth.

    great job, see a little outside the box thinking and you open up a whole new world with Bryce.

  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

    @Horo: Thank you. I have played with that slider, just don't remember it being referred to a black painting. As I said, I learn something new every time I read these posts.

    @dwsel: Thanks. I was looking in the wrong place, and I think my mountains might be too large for the image I want to make. For the long shot they needed to be longer, but for the up close I believe I can shrink them and still get the desired effect. Thank you for the setting image, it was something I had thought to examine when I started making changes. Thanks for all your help.

    @mermaid: Nice looking buildings, though I'd have the foundation of the left side building checked. :-)

    @Rareth: In your exploded view image, I noticed two things about the bottom floor, it was concave and had a lip around the outer edge. Because you didn't use boolean operations to achieve this, I take it they came from the object library? Or is there another trick I've yet to learn?

  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    GussNemo said:
    @Horo: Thank you. I have played with that slider, just don't remember it being referred to a black painting. As I said, I learn something new every time I read these posts.

    @dwsel: Thanks. I was looking in the wrong place, and I think my mountains might be too large for the image I want to make. For the long shot they needed to be longer, but for the up close I believe I can shrink them and still get the desired effect. Thank you for the setting image, it was something I had thought to examine when I started making changes. Thanks for all your help.

    @mermaid: Nice looking buildings, though I'd have the foundation of the left side building checked. :-)

    @Rareth: In your exploded view image, I noticed two things about the bottom floor, it was concave and had a lip around the outer edge. Because you didn't use boolean operations to achieve this, I take it they came from the object library? Or is there another trick I've yet to learn?

    not concave and no lip, its just a cylinder (y size = 1) I think the light and the fact the material is slightly reflective is causing the problem.

    here this might help

    show-Guss.jpg
    1102 x 526 - 61K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

    well I turned the Leaning Tower of Pisa wip into a temple.. which since this is DAZ, lent itself to the following picture

    nnviatwas.jpg
    1404 x 700 - 367K
  • GeroblueJimGeroblueJim Posts: 0
    edited January 2013

    Christmas tree, phase 1. Just the first ring, 3 ornaments. Probably zoom up my render times the more rings of tiers i add to it. I'll probably change the ground. It will make the tree almost invisible as adds go on.

    tree_phase01.png
    397 x 519 - 178K
    Post edited by GeroblueJim on
  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

    chohole said:
    Had an "Oooh Shiny" moment when I saw this. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14776/#214872

    Now could we do that in Bryce I wonder.

    That looks a lot like what used to be called "carnival glass". Genuine carnival glass is hard to come by, and prized by antique experts. Nowadays they make a similar type of glass, but it doesn't have as much metallic look to it. The real stuff was made using a particular process, it seems like it involved using metal somehow, but I can't remember much about it (I might be blowin out my arse here, but I seem to remember...).

  • cjreynoldscjreynolds Posts: 155
    edited December 1969

    Found a wiki:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnival_glass

    Not sure if that helps with duplicating the effect, but the article does mention using "metallic salts" to achieve the iridescent look. They were applied while the glass was hot, which brings out the iridescent quality of the salts...

    The wiki seems to indicate that carnival glass is still being produced - confusing, as my grandad (who was an avid antique dealer) always claimed that "real" carnival glass was no longer made. Who knows...

  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

    @Rareth: Yes, it was the light in your first images that gave me that impression. Shoot, change the outer disks to dark chocolate, and the thicker one to white and you'll have an Oreo cookie. Temple looks really neat. I think I'll go back and hide mine. :lol:

    Okay, took the time to redo the texture for the mountain right behind my temple. Chose a different material, set bump height for that material to 100, went into the DTE and tweaked the color and noise filter, and the following image is the result. This is what I had in mind for the initial image, but failed to achieve until now.

    Canyon_14.png
    1514 x 885 - 2M
  • mermaid010mermaid010 Posts: 3,330
    edited December 1969

    Rareth said:
    Although this did not take 5 min but it was so simple to do once I understood what stacking meant and the materials available in the material lab. Thanks Rareth.

    great job, see a little outside the box thinking and you open up a whole new world with Bryce.

    Thanks. It's the help we newbies get from the experienced Brycers that opens the various doors to wonderland. :-)


    @ GussNemo - thanks, the foundation is solid, I think the angle of the camera caused the distortion, learning by trial and error. ;-)

This discussion has been closed.