Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]

Comments

• March Maddness here I come!

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

Hmm, something I just might get on release.

• Oh, so I have to WAIT?!? NUUUUuuu

Although one thing I noticed is the toon effect doesn't touch characters eyes very well.

• Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610

Is this iRay only?

edited February 2017

Is this iRay only?

Thread title:

"Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]"

Post edited by nicstt on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,610
    nicstt said:

Is this iRay only?

Thread title:

"Sketchy - Toon and Art Style Shaders for Iray [Commercial]"

Oh yeah my bad.

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

Sigh, there's always tomorrow!  cheeky

• 3dOutlaw said:

Sigh, there's always tomorrow!  cheeky

Indeed wink

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited March 2017

When is this coming out?

PLEASE SAY MARCH.

OH SNAPS> ignore that and change the title to RELEASED! Woo hoo,,,,,,,,,

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • AtiAti Posts: 9,078

Wow... That's a big surprise. I honestly thought it would cost a lot more... :)

Ati said:

Wow... That's a big surprise. I honestly thought it would cost a lot more... :)

Bought it. Was wanting to get one of the various shaders to compliment my usage of FotoSketcher.

This looked like just the think. Not time till tonight, but will be interested in what others do.

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    edited March 2017

Anyone figure out how to use it? Or even where it's installed to? I can't watch the youtube tutorial as the sound is not working on my computer. 

Edit - Ok, I found it. Shader Presets >> Dimension Theory >> IrayToonShader  - now to see if I can figure out how to use it. lol

Post edited by 3Diva on
  • ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,528
    Artini said:

hahah Yeah, I know. But it's not exactly a step by step manual. It's ok though, I think I have it figured out - the concept of it at least. 

So it seems these work best if you add the Iray uber base shader first to all the surfaces that you're going to add the sketchy shader to. Then it's basically like a regular shader. You just want to go in add the "DTTS Iray Toon Shader Base" to every surface that you want to make sketchy. Then you can go in to the "01 Full Shaders" folder and play around with finding the line style that you like. ..And that's as far as I've gotten in figuring it out so far. lol I've not played with the other folders yet. 

Here are my first attempts:

Here's another one.

Ok last one for a while. Time for some sleep. :)

• Griffin AvidGriffin Avid Posts: 3,755
    edited March 2017

holy cow.

Hmmm...where's my edited post?

Anyhow. I said I hope there's a script to apply it to ALL surfaces at once. Sounds pretty tedious to have to select every surface and do it one, by one.

Post edited by Griffin Avid on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I am very very very stoked.

My Daz purchases have dropped off a lot, but totally jumped on this one. And I agree, great price.

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128
    avxp said:

holy cow.

Hmmm...where's my edited post?

Anyhow. I said I hope there's a script to apply it to ALL surfaces at once. Sounds pretty tedious to have to select every surface and do it one, by one.

So select all the surfaces at once and mass apply it. :)

• The ability to strip surfaces down to white without losing detail is very handy on top of the rest of the cleverness. Ditto the Totally Flat render setting.

This is the first one of these toon-style shader packs that's idiot-proof too, most appreciated. The little tutorial is ace. The little aside with the background sphere is great, I'm nicking that.

The ability to use different styles in the outline or fill areas is inspired. That's what's missing from most postwork filters.

A very neat multi-effect package.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Are these shaders quick to render?

Seem about as fast as any other shader, really.

Heck, I'm finding it faster than PWToon in several scenarios.

One issue I'm having a little trouble with is trying to get lines and detail inside (noses, etc) while not having really thick outlines.

The only postwork in this image is tone mapping in Photoshop.

Took 4 minutes to render at double size.

Karban sketchy.png
    1080 x 1080 - 2M

Black skin is a struggle, because it has variations that you can't easily just shrug and make the whole skin X color.

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191

The only postwork in this image is tone mapping in Photoshop.

Took 4 minutes to render at double size.

Oh, nice Will!!!  I just got this but haven't installed yet.  Really itching to play around with it myself.  :)

In 3DL with PWToon I often find myself doing a 'line pass' and a 'color pass' and then compositing, so I can blur and adjust how the two combine. Or to play around with the colors without having to worry about the effect on the outlines.

While you can do a lot with Sketchy (as far as I can tell so far) straight, it might still be useful to do this, particularly if you are using color maps mostly as-is. If you can replace a skin texture with, say, a simple one tone color, then great, but like with my Karban image I found it hard to 'flatten' the colors to make them look more 'toonish' while still doing stuff with the Sketchy lines, and if I had to do it again I'd probably do it as two separate passes.

• BlueIreneBlueIrene Posts: 1,318

Seem about as fast as any other shader, really.

Great stuff. Thanks :)

• 3dOutlaw3dOutlaw Posts: 2,470

My contribution to the thread.  Nice work DimensionTheory!  This is a full shader mixed, with some solid color diffused.  White background and lighting solid.  No postwork. (click image for 2x)

Donut

• XenomorphineXenomorphine Posts: 2,421
    edited March 2017

I'll admit, I'm still a bit confused about what many of the included shader options do, even after that video, heh... :) But after being disappointed that Line Render 9000 was 3Delight-only (I use a lot of Iray-specific shaders to complete certain looks for my renders), that tutorial conviced me that this seems like a great alternative for Iray projects!

Post edited by Xenomorphine on