Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    ArtAngel said:

I'm also thinking that Chace Hair for G3 and G2, here in the store, might do well and I already have it.

I have tried to style hair as displayed in marketing image attached but she ends up bald in various spots and looks worse than a cancer victim undergoing kemo. After tearing my own hair out for 3 hours I decided to partake in rum and sevens. Shortly therafter, a little bird tweeted, "Try a second hair prop to cover the bald spots". To which I readily replied, "Jolly good." Me, I had no luck whatsoever, AND no matter wtf I did the Mohawk looked like someone had taken a lawn mower to the back of her skull but left the blade a tad too high ... spents hours styling temples, hairline and crowns etc to no avail. So far not a wise purchase. Hunted everywhere for solutions and came up empty. So mate if you bought this I suggest you have a rum or two. Savvy?

@ArtAngel I would try unparenting it as well and then using the various scale tools to have it fit better.  Which character is that?  If I have the hair and character I will be happy to give it a try and see if I am having the same issues.

Have any of you, when going through your library of stuff, just had a ton of ideas flash through your head faster than you can keep track of them?

• All the time!

Its driving me crazy lol! Need to get out the notepad and stick next to my keyboard and start writing them down.  Some of them go by so fast though I can barely catch it lol.

• I keep a notebook by my bed in case I wake up with dreams of story ideas so I can write them down.  For the computer, I have a little sticky notepad app that I use for render ideas so I can write them down quickly.  The app is always on my toolbar so it's just a click away if I need to jot down something quick.  Later, I can transfer it to something more permanent.

• ArtAngel said:

I'm also thinking that Chace Hair for G3 and G2, here in the store, might do well and I already have it.

I have tried to style hair as displayed in marketing image attached but she ends up bald in various spots and looks worse than a cancer victim undergoing kemo. After tearing my own hair out for 3 hours I decided to partake in rum and sevens. Shortly therafter, a little bird tweeted, "Try a second hair prop to cover the bald spots". To which I readily replied, "Jolly good." Me, I had no luck whatsoever, AND no matter wtf I did the Mohawk looked like someone had taken a lawn mower to the back of her skull but left the blade a tad too high ... spents hours styling temples, hairline and crowns etc to no avail. So far not a wise purchase. Hunted everywhere for solutions and came up empty. So mate if you bought this I suggest you have a rum or two. Savvy?

@ArtAngel  What figure were you using and which styling sliders?  Did you make sure that the hair was parented to your figure?  I tried it last night and got the attached example.  No postwork.  That's a straight out of the box render on the hair in Iray.  I've attached a screenshot of the sliders I used to get the look.  As you can see, I only moved the ears slightly in the Fit morphs in the one screenshot and the other screenshot has the morphs for the Style that I used to get the look in the picture.  Other than that, it's parented to the G3F figure which in this case is FW Nadine HD for Victoria 7.  I haven't found the combo to get exactly that look, but close without looking like a cancer patient.  Also, DAZ has a great return policy.  If you purchased within the last 30 days, you can return it.

I'd be happy to help you figure it out if you decide to work on the hair.  You can upload a screenshot of your attempts to my Lab thread so we don't take over Ice Dragon Art's thread if you'd like so we can figure it out.

ChaseHairTest01.jpg
    1000 x 1300 - 793K
    Screenshot from 2017-02-08 17-32-50.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 178K
    Screenshot from 2017-02-08 17-33-11.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 205K
    edited February 2017

Close up of DarwinsMishaps coming LIE Make Up.Two layers on the eyes on this one.

Green Eyes.png
    1300 x 1000 - 2M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • FaxMisherFaxMisher Posts: 102
    edited February 2017

Have any of you, when going through your library of stuff, just had a ton of ideas flash through your head faster than you can keep track of them?

All the time. Which is why my spare room has my expanded library of boxes of sketchbooks, notebooks, and composition books. Some are over 2 decades old and when I take a look at them I remember what a great idea I had. Getting the ideas down on paper is the easiest part for me, it's turning them into something I struggle with. indecision

Post edited by FaxMisher on

Yes getting them to look like what the idea was is the hard part for sure!

edited February 2017

Spent some time in photoshop today. 

So as you can see the original isn't much to look at, I wasn't sure what I really wanted to do with it.  Once I got it into photoshop I found a spot that I really liked and cropped it to that. 

Then I lightened, brightened, darkened, multiplied, screened, and some other stuff I don't remember.  After that, I tried a couple of nik filters, and then went to filter forge.  I'm curious to see which one everyone likes the best.

Original

Before any filters, this one is all dodge, burn, screen, multiply etc.

A NIK collection filter

Filter Forge filter

Filter Forge toned down a bit

GOLDEN ELVEN 2.png
    1018 x 1440 - 2M
    GOLDEN ELVEN POST 2.png
    606 x 637 - 668K
    GOLDEN ELVEN POST.png
    606 x 637 - 598K
    GOLDEN ELVEN POST 4.png
    606 x 637 - 575K
    GOLDEN ELVEN FINAL.png
    606 x 637 - 493K
  • I think I like the last two the best, but after that, it's a toss up.  I can't decide, but I'm leaning toward the one that says Golden Elven Post 4.  I think it's that little bit of extra sunlight.

Helps if I load them in the right order lol.  Had to fix the last one in the larger pics.  Looks right now.  I'm going to wait a bit before I say which is my fave, I just want to see if everyone else picks the same ones.

• I like the second (the glowing eyes make a great focal point) and the last.  I think if you bumped up the eyes in the final version, it would really rock.

edited February 2017

Like this?

GOLDEN ELVEN FINAL 2.png
    606 x 637 - 494K
    edited February 2017

Wow I feel like I accomplished a lot tonight lol!

Ugh, the others won't load.  Will try again. ....Edited to add, it still will not load from my picture folder. no idea what is wrong.

First round in photoshop - painting and adding the flames etc.

Filter that came with photoshop

And last but not least a NIK filter

FIRE MAGE .png
    988 x 1600 - 3M
    fire_mage__post_2_by_icedragonart-dayr7h9.png.jpg
    702 x 1137 - 170K
    fire_mage__post_by_icedragonart.jpg
    702 x 1137 - 125K
    fire_mage__post_3_by_icedragonart-dayrbju.png.jpg
    702 x 1137 - 168K

No ideas why its not letting me load directly from my pictures folder. I had to load them on deviant art, resave them and then they loaded here.  Never had that problem before.

• Those are nice Sonja.  I really like the cartoon type one. That looks brilliant! 

Oh, and your first picture is looking large.  Did something happen when you were setting the image size and it didn't take?  The others all look fine, but the first one is showing up full screen.

• GreybroGreybro Posts: 2,461

Here are three of the test renders I have done for DarwinsMishaps new LIE make up for G3m.  You can layer each make up on top of each other so you can do all kinds of neat stuff with it.

That Goblin looks awesome!

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,071
    edited February 2017

Here is a post work version of her Goblin: 

I was going for a "still from a movie" look with this one.  Nice, dark and dank corridor with him about to either say something, or yank someone's eyeball out. 

Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • Like this?

Yep!

• The fire mage came up great also!

• That's very cool, DM! You two make a great team! :)

Here is a post work version of her Goblin: 

I was going for a "still from a movie" look with this one.  Nice, dark and dank corridor with him about to either say something, or yank someone's eyeball out. 

He looks amazing!  I sincerely don't want to meet him in those dark underground caverns lol.

Thank you Greybro and TabascoJack.  I had a lot of fun with the make up, its very versatile. 

I was pretty happy that I finally sat down and did some postwork on a couple of renders, I tend to put it off, not sure why as I enjoy doing it lol.  I have to say the fire mage cartoon image is my favorite and the last one on the ancient magic is my favorite although the one right before it is a close second.  Good call on the eyes TabascoJack, it did add that last little pop.

And thank you KM, DarwinsMishaps is very easy to work with and of course his products are gorgeous.

• D'aw.  Thank you. Ditto!

• LianaLiana Posts: 1,035

The renders turned out well. :)

Thank you!

Ugh.  Went ahead and moved my content library on my laptop to a new external drive since the move on the pc went so smoothly.  Of course, this one, not so much.  I did everything the same but its refusing to change the pat for the porducts and categories.  The Daz studio format, poser format and other import formats work perfectly.  Newly downloaded content in DIM goes to the right place.  But I cannot find a way to change the path in the program list to find the right drive, I ahve to do it item by item or they don't show up in my categories. Niccst was kind enough to try and help but nothing is working.  Can't just re install as its 4.8 not 4.9.  so I will be working on manually changing the path on all my product tonight and probably the next several nights, so no rendering for a bit.

• DS 4.8 or DS 4.9? The database in 4.9 should be using relative paths, so if the files are there in the Daz Studio Formats/Poser Formats lists they should be found (as long as the relative paths are right).

This discussion has been closed.