* CLOSED* RRRR Sayings contest ( $150 in Prizes)

12346»

Comments

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited December 2012

I see everyone's been pretty busy.
    JK0011 "She who hesitates..." - I like the colours and the flowers in this one.
    Zawarkal "Playtime's over" - that's quite a family group there!
    Sasje "Good friends... " - nice render.
    gopherus "He who wants everything..." - a very interesting one - the individual items really leap out, but it hangs together so well too.
    Ken OBanion "Be yourself..." - I like it, very amusing!
    Totte "My home is my castle" - another great render.
    Zawarkal "Mayhem" - that's one surreal image! I like the colours too.
    ShanarahPSU "My kingdom for a horse" - that's really beautiful and also really weird - lovely colours and nice render.
    Totte "You should talk to farmers..." - another weird but rather lovely one - I like the march of the penguins and the horse on the stairs, but what is Barack Obama doing there?
    Zawarkal "The line starts back there" - funny! And very nicely done.
    Zawarkal "Be careful what you wish for..." - lovely effects there, I lke the way the hair picks up the fire colours too.
    JK0011 "End of the story" - another interesting one - I wonder what the horse in the foreground is up to?
    gopherus "Laugh and the world laughs with you..." - really charming! I like the bright colours.
    Luci45 "Tread cautiously..." - what a bunch of weirdos! (A bit like the contest itself) Lovely render too.
    Ken OBanion "SHe don't ride into town..." - another funny one - and I like the colours and composition - and the look the horse is giving!
    Zawarkal "I'll teach you..." - that's really funny.
    Totte "You can't see the forest..." - superb render, nice DOF too.

And thanks for the generous comments, Ken and gopherus. Hey, Ken: it must have taken you a lot of time to write all those responses - thanks for all the effort - it makes me feel like I ought to go back and think a bit more. Still that will have to be done at voting time anyway.

Now on my recent record (slowest yet) I don't know if I'll be able to complete any more entries, but in a spirit of optimism I pulled:
    401 = Xerr
    685 = Juggling Act for V4
    451 = Wild Orchid Hair
    532 = Silence Expansion 2 Furnishings

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • zawarkalzawarkal Posts: 1,018
    edited December 2012

Ken, thanks for your comments. I'm happy to know that I redeemed myself.

MelanieL, thank you for your comments also. I am so happy someone found the I'll teach you funny. My oldest son and I were rofl when I showed him the beginning of the idea. My other son was in disbelief that I would use poop in an image. But, I had to do it anyhow.

Post edited by zawarkal on
  • BlumBlumShubBlumBlumShub Posts: 1,108
    edited December 1969

Decided that even though there's not a lot of time left, I should have a go at this. Here are my randoms...
    296: Tequila Hair
    308: The Ritual for LilyNymph
    317: Trystan for M4
    220: Noggin's Dragonfly

To be honest it could have been a lot worse!

Wish me luck, I'm an RRRR virgin!

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:

Now on my recent record (slowest yet) I don't know if I'll be able to complete any more entries, but in a spirit of optimism I pulled:
    401 = Xerr
    685 = Juggling Act for V4
    451 = Wild Orchid Hair
    532 = Silence Expansion 2 Furnishings

Well, I finally found myself with a WHOLE afternoon free, so actually managed to do something with this...

TAG:MelanieL#4

Saying: You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks
    ... but maybe an old reptile can learn them?

Also Used:
    V4 with Liz character and makeup
    Lorenzo LoRez and Loretta LoRez
    Millennium Dog with morphs and textures from Classic Canine Combo
    Stage Magician Props
    Gemologica texture (on ball)
    Carnival Midway (tent)
    Native Cheyenne Village (ground)

MelanieL4-New_Tricks.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 361K
    edited December 1969

And so the optimism continues:

868 = Amarseda Hair
    414 = Equilibrium (texture set for Performer for V4)
    717 = Freya's Courage Realm (= DMs Courage Realm, Freya and Freya Textures)
    132 = Fantasy Book

• TotteTotte Posts: 13,473
    edited December 2012

Comments time

Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#01 Interesting idea and a cool use of items.
    Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#02! I like the "hatty" mans pose, and the girls. Nice one.
    Lady Winterlace: TAG: Winterlace #1 Really great one, like the big bird.
    Pixel8ted: Tag: Pixel8ted#1 Love the idea! Nice render and smoke.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#1 Very good posing and render and it really fits together.
    Pixel8ted: Tag: Pixel8ted#2 Another one with nice colors and postwork.
    barbult: Tag: barbult#1 Lovely render and idea, posing is really nice too.
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#01 Lovely xmas render, lots of details.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#2 The render is really great, and the idea, I think I'll add that saying to the book.
    Lady Winterlace: TAG: Winterlace #2 Interesting render, very nice indeed.
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#02 Perfect posing and lights, another great one.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#3 He looks so evil, and I love the weird hairs, great render too.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#4 That's great, that cat really adds to it.
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#03 Nice snow and render, looks really good.
    mhossack: Tag:mhossack#01 Great idea, made me think of "Young ones - living doll" I feel sorry for the elephant!
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#04 Great detailed scene, and the pose is spot on.
    Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#03! So true, and a cool render.
    barbult: Tag: barbult#2 That's so funny.
    gopherus: Tag: Gopherus #1 Very cool render and idea.
    MelanieL: TAG:MelanieL#1 Nice render and a cool idea, lovely dogs.
    Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#04! This one is really good, not very Ken OBanion in style, darker and more touching.
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#05 Interesting saying and a very nice render.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#5 Love the water effect on this render.
    Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#05! I completely forgot about Murphy, great one!
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#06 Cool action render, very nice.
    gopherus: Tag: Gopherus #2 Lol, really funny render with great expressions.
    JK0011: Tag JK0011 #1 Love the size differences on this one, and the idea, the dragon feels mighty scary.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#6 I really love this one, so full of life and action, and great colors.
    barbult: Tag: barbult#3 Another funny and great render.
    MelanieL: TAG:MelanieL#2 Great sense of size with that scenery.
    JK0011: Tag JK0011 #2 Interesting piece, and deep render.
    Zawarkal: TAG: Zawarkal #01 Funny render, love that big foot.
    Sasje: Tag:Sasje#07 This one is superb, great render and action.
    gopherus: Tag: Gopherus #3 Cool scene with lots of small details.
    Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#06! Haha, another Kenish saying and render, you really got a bag full of sayings.
    Zawarkal: TAG: Zawarkal #02 Really cool with that face in the background, cool idea.
    ShanarahPSU: TAG: ShanarahPSU#1 Haha, cool one, love that monster.
    Zawarkal: TAG: Zawarkal #03 Lol, never trust the Zebra.
    Zawarkal: TAG: Zawarkal #04 Lot's of things going on there, great one.
    JK0011: Tag JK0011 #3 Nice one, a little sad, I like it.
    gopherus: Tag: Gopherus #4 Such a lovely render and great poses.
    Luci45: TAG:Luci45#7 A perfect Luci, lot's of details, great colors and render.
    Ken OBanion: TAG: obanion#07! Very good item usage, and a nice render.
    Zawarkal: TAG: Zawarkal #05 *wiping screen* A real laugh, great, goes very well with the saying.
    MelanieL: TAG:MelanieL#3 That's a really good render, detailed, and a well told saying too.
    MelanieL: TAG:MelanieL#4 Poor old dog, but ugly face seems to know his tricks, great render.

Post edited by Totte on
    edited December 1969

Totte, thank you for your comments.

It's really wonderful to see all the comments done this way on all the images. I haven't seen this level of comments in other contests which I have entered. It helps me to learn by knowing what everyone is looking at in the images they see.

edited December 1969

Thanks Totte - I agree with Zawarkal that it's nice that people take the trouble to comment here - I love this contest!

edited December 2012

Right then, here we go, first contest entry for over a year!

Randoms:
    296: Tequila Hair
    308: The Ritual for LilyNymph
    317: Trystan for M4
    220: Noggin’s Dragonfly

Other items include: Forest Realms Playset 1, Art Collaborations' Abby (Female Character), Slippers from Elven Dress set, Forest Prince clothing and jewellery.

Constructive criticism is very welcome.

TITLE and Saying: Chasing The Dragon(fly).

ChasingTheDragon.png
    1920 x 1200 - 5M
    Post edited by BlumBlumShub on
  • ShanarahShanarah Posts: 94
    edited December 2012

Thanks for the comments, guys! :)

MelanieL - Really nice job on You Can't Teach an Old Dog New Tricks. Great render and really creative. I feel sorry for the poor dog. Also, A Bird in the Hand is Worth Two in the Bush is another great image. Perfect pull for that one .

Totte - You are always so good at this, but I really love You can’t see the forest for the trees. Really great image. I like the fog effect.

Zawarkal - I’ll Teach You Not To Break My Toys is pretty crazy and quite funny as well. I like it. Great idea!

Post edited by Shanarah on
  • Ken OBanionKen OBanion Posts: 1,447
    edited December 1969

I'm going to try to toss out one last (non-competing) render before the deadline.

So here's what I pulled:
    18 - 19th Century Suit Pack for David
    1374 - Songbird Remix Starter Bundle
    1523 - The Good, the Bad & the Lovely
    59 - Alma (Okay, we're gettin' seriously retro, here!)

Just because I have nothing better to do today.... (God, that's pathetic; I really gotta get a life!)

edited December 1969

MelanieL said:
    And so the optimism continues:

868 = Amarseda Hair
    414 = Equilibrium (texture set for Performer for V4)
    717 = Freya's Courage Realm (= DMs Courage Realm, Freya and Freya Textures)
    132 = Fantasy Book

TAG:MelanieL#5

Saying: It's not what you wear, it's the way that you wear it

Some members of the Sisterhood of the Sacred Flame wondered whether all the sisters were as prepared to defend the temple.

Also Used:
    V4 with Elite Texture Katie
    V4 (3 times) with Briana face morphs and skin texture
    Easy Environments Mountain Trail (skybox only)
    Carnival Performer Poses

MelanieL5_-_Its_Not_What_You_Wear.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 372K
    edited December 1969

I'm going to try to toss out one last (non-competing) render before the deadline.

So here's what I pulled:
    18 - 19th Century Suit Pack for David
    1374 - Songbird Remix Starter Bundle
    1523 - The Good, the Bad & the Lovely
    59 - Alma (Okay, we're gettin' seriously retro, here!)

Just because I have nothing better to do today.... (God, that's pathetic; I really gotta get a life!)

Well, this was easy!

Also used:
    Winter Wear for V3
    Amiel Hair (V3)
    Wet Hair (V4)
    Victorian Street
    Questor's Western Guns (the Peacemaker, to be precise)
    Questor's Gunbelts
    Anders Hair (David)
    Timesphere by hal001 (a ShareCG freebie that I've had practically since the earth cooled, but never got around to using - until now!)

And yeah, that damn bird is in there somewhere!

No title or tag, since it's non-competing, but the Saying, of course, is obligatory.

The Saying: "You-all aren't from around here, are you?"
    (Should ideally be delivered in a nasally New-England twang, with a generous helping of dropped 'Rs' ;-P )

RRRR_Sayings_NC01.png
    800 x 600 - 600K
    edited December 2012

Well, assuming the contest is still ending tonight, that is definitely me finished for this one (I'm otherwise engaged till after the turn of midnight here in the UK).

A couple of catchups:

BlumBlumShub "Chasing the Dragon(fly)" - that's really pretty

ETA: Oh, Ken, we crossed posts again! I like your latest even as a NAE.

Shanarah - thanks for the comments.

Thanks to Totte and sponsors for organising this contest - it's been good fun (even though I didn't have as much time on my hands as usual with other commitments in the run-up to the holidays).

And So: Happy New Year to everyone! (See you next contest?!)

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • EmsimEmsim Posts: 234
    edited December 1969

emsim said:
    Back for more fun! It might be a while before I finish this but this is my first pull:

#958 Dies Nefastus
    #875 Space Shuttle
    #1052 Dream Home Entrance Lanai and Mud Room
    #413 The Hatter

Hmm, yeah, this will take me a while to figure out what to do with this...

I guess I wasn't kidding when I said it would take me a while! It took me a while to find my original post.

Once again lots of great and fun renders here! Here's what I finally came up with:

Tag: emsim#1
    Saying: Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

Also used:
    Dane
    White Rabbit for V4
    Noggins Raven
    (btw the Lanai is under the space shuttle)

Madness_on_the_Shuttle.png
    2000 x 1500 - 3M
  • luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Totte, MelanieL, ShanarahPSU, gopherus, and Ken OBanion. I really appreciate to comments and I agree with Zawarkal, MelanieL and barbult, that it's great that people take the time to comment on this forum. That is half the fun. It is going to be very hard to vote.

Zawarkal #4 I don't know what happened there, but it look disastrous, Nicely done.
    JK0011 #3 A beautiful composition, nice light and colors
    gopherus #4 That's really strange and very nicely put together.
    Ken OBanion #7 I love the poses and expressions. Even the horse looks like he has somethings to say.
    Zawarkal #05 LOL, That is really nuts! I love it!
    Totte #7 You can’t see the forest for the trees A very beautiful and odd, surreal, composition. Beautiful lighting.
    MelanieL #3 You seem to pull as many birds as I do. I like this one. It is simple and charming
    MelanieL #4 A wonderful performing Xerr! I love the poses in this one, especially the audience.
    MelanieL #5 Maybe she can bedazzle them with her feathers. LOL
    BlumBlumShub Nice action! For me it would have been better (since you asked for constructive criticism) if you had put some light on the dragonfly or done something to bring it forward more. Don't forget to post to the other thread and add Tag#.
    Kem Obannion Good one! So where is the damn bird? (I like that timesphere, will have to see if it still available at ShareCG.)
    emsim #1 Nice one! I love the hatters with the white building and shuttle and blue sky.

edited January 2013

I thought I'd take a few to pick up on the later submissions that have come in since my last round of 'comments and observations'. Yeah, let's call them that...!

Zawarkal
    #5 ("Don't bring a blade to a poop fight") This one is just delightfully strange, with all that steampunk aerial combat going on (and the pacifier is a perfect touch!) Good action, keeps the eye moving.

Although I'm a bit puzzled by this sudden rash of scatological humor - donkey-poop, fart jokes, peepee dances.... Did I not get a memo, or something? Whatever....

Totte
    #7 ("You can't see the forest for the trees") This one has a lot going for it, an air of surreality being right at the top of the list! The atmospherics are very well done, and your Space Dweller figure appears almost translucent, downright ethereal. Eerie! But in a good way! (But what the hell is that purple thing, that looks like a disembodied heart with a mouth, yelling at Space Dweller?)

MelanieL
    #3 ("A bird in the hand....") A very nice arrangement, good colors and story. You seem to have a particular gift for medeival-era scenes - a talent for capturing the nuances of everyday life. (Memories of a past life, perhaps?) Very nice work!
    #4 ("You can't teach an old dog new tricks") The attention to detail in this one is simply astonishing - not just the usual elements of color, lighting (and shadows), but the number of characters in the scene, every one of which is uniquely posed. Very impressive work!
    #5 ("It's not what you wear....") This one works on so many levels! Excellent blocking and choreography (and no, I'm not being ironic!): the background, the temple set-piece, the costumes and props, and the juxtaposition of colors all combine to direct the eye relentlessly toward... a big honkin' splash of silly! Well played! An excellent piece of work!

BlumBlumShub
    #1 ("Chasing the dragon(fly)") This is simply charming; it has a certain 'Blue Lagoon" innocence that I find almost irresistable! Glad you could make it to the party!

emsim
    #1 ("Always remember you're unique....") An excellent illustration of the Saying, with great use of color, contrast and posing. (I spent a lot of time staring at the patches on the costumes, looking for some tiny variation - but nope; the Saying is inescapably true!) Nice work!

So, I guess that brings up to date. Great work, everybody! These things are always a ton of fun, and this one was certainly no exception. Not only was it a blast to play, but seeing so many marvelously-warped imaginations at work is just a great thrill! Congratulations, everyone; win, lose or draw, you've all done some really impressive work! I can scarcely wait for the next one!

(Oh, and Luci - the bird is silhouetted against a patch of snow, just above the cowboy hat! And yes, the Timesphere is still there; I checked before I posted, to get the artist's name, so that I could make sure I gave proper credit!)

Post edited by Ken OBanion on
    edited December 1969

@Ken, it's a Beholder (but the DAZ figure as another name). Any D&D player will shiver i fear seeing it.

And now, this contest is closed!

• SasjeSasje Posts: 835
    edited December 1969

Thank you Ken, MelanieL and Totte for the Comments.
    And a Happy New Year to everyone :-)

edited December 1969

Wow, thank you for the kind words, guys, I wasn't expecting much in the way of praise to be honest, let alone comments like "Simply charming". You've made my day.

@Luci45: I completely agree about the dragonfly, but I left it a bit late before I decided to enter the contest so I kind of broke my own rules and posted the first render! Usually I render, tweak, render, tweak, get grumpy, render, tweak, kick a passing old lady, render, and eventually post!

Thanks again, and good luck to all entrants,
    Barry.

edited December 1969

ShanarahPSU, Luci45, and Ken OBanion, thank you all for the comments.

I agree this was a fun contest and I will be watching for more like this one in the future.

edited December 1969

Oh, trust us, Zawarkal, there will be more. We can't help ourselves!

(I even do the 'random' thing on my own; it's a great way to 'touch a cattle-prod to the muse's ass', and I've done some really memorable renders that way - with not a single prospect of a prize! It just works!)

edited December 1969

Final catchup:
    emsim "Always remember you're unique..." - I do like your balancing hatters!

Thanks to Luci and Ken for your recent comments.
    I don't know about a past life, Ken, but I've always been a bit of a history fan.

edited December 1969

I just wanted to say...

Happy New Year!

to everybody, and to offer my thanks for yet another great experience playing in the RRRR sandbox! This is, has always been, and ever shall be, the most fun I've ever had without having to take a shower afterward!

And it's not just the off-the-wall, Gibbs-smacking images; it's the whole spirit of camaraderie that makes this such a unique experience, and keeps most of us coming back for more!

So, until next time..., it's been real (and frequently un-), and I'm looking forward to seeing you all again real soon!

• luci45luci45 Posts: 2,648
    edited December 1969

@Luci45: I completely agree about the dragonfly, but I left it a bit late before I decided to enter the contest so I kind of broke my own rules and posted the first render! Usually I render, tweak, render, tweak, get grumpy, render, tweak, kick a passing old lady, render, and eventually post!

(I even do the 'random' thing on my own; it's a great way to 'touch a cattle-prod to the muse's ass', and I've done some really memorable renders that way - with not a single prospect of a prize! It just works!)

:-) :lol: ;-) The comments made here are sometimes as much fun as the renders! ;-P :lol: :-)

• adaceyadacey Posts: 186
    edited December 1969

Some good entries this month. I feel bad that I didn't get a chance to put together anything from my pull, I'd actually managed to come up with a concept but last month was a bit crazy for me, even with taking some time off for Christmas, so I just didn't have the time to put it together.

Oh well, there's always the next one.

• JennKJennK Posts: 834
    edited December 1969

Thanks for the kind words. This was my first RRRR contest and it was a blast even though I came in a little late. It really gets the creative juices flowing (or maybe that's my brain melting :lol: ).

Great renders all the way around. I keep looking back through them and finding new things about each imagine that I missed the first time through.

• MarkHossackMarkHossack Posts: 28
    edited December 1969

Happy New Year to you all!

Thanks a lot for the comments. Hopefully I'll be able to do more than one image next time...

edited December 1969