Linwelly's Grove

Comments

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,795
    edited January 2017

Here is another one with the ice shader with different light set and atmosphere in the back

Icicle2.png
    565 x 800 - 939K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
    edited January 2017

And this one is with the lights coming from the back

Icicle3.png
    565 x 800 - 911K
  • Very nicely done on the shaders...and renders. 

edited January 2017

Thanks a lot Darwin!

I tried around with a chess set, white ones got the Ice shader black ones got the frost a bit altered as aloe it would have been not solid enough

chess.png
    800 x 640 - 1M
    edited January 2017

I got a little sidetracked when this guy popped up in my head two days ago and demanded to be presented to the public. So I have a little fun time with my King.

He never bothered to tell me his name and based on his demeanor I just dubbed him King... I guess he needs a name, suggestions are welcome.

This is a mix of Sasory body with quite some customisation and Summer for V7 skin with my own freckles.

King.png
    1132 x 1600 - 3M
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Wow the ice chess set is beautiful!  And the ice looks very realistic especially in the back lit render.

edited January 2017

Thank you Sonja, With your username you should be the one knowing best about ice...laugh

I added a second morph to my icicle so it can get more ribbed.

Here is a test render with some variations possible now:

Icicle4.png
    566 x 800 - 850K

Those make wonderful stalagacites (have no idea if I spelled that right lol).  Would look amazing in a cave.  You are far ahead of me as far as shaders go lol.  The funny thing is, I don't paritcularly care for the cold or winter, I am definitely a summer girl lol.  But I do love ice dragons (and every other kind of dragon).  And the name wasn't taken anywhere online so that was a factor as well.

That is a brilliant idea, Sonja, it will do nicely for stalagmites and Stalagtides ( well thats my take on how the ins spelled frown) I guess I will try to make an shader for that material too.. whats it flowstone, dripstone...

I admit that I'm not a winter person either, I never really get warm even though the house is heated nicely and I use three layers of jackets and socks... but it still looks nice especially I like the hoarfrost glittering in the sun.

Anyway here is my render for llolas render a month, featuring the icicles. I learned that its a bad idea to use atmosphere together with the bloom filter in Iray and that using spectral rendering and caustic sampler will increase render times drastically.

I have been thinking if I should offer the icicles as a freebie over at share cg. I never have tried that before and I would like you opinion if there is interest in that before I go through the hassle of digging my way into what I need to do for that. The ice shader I would have to ask anyway if that could be offered for free, as it is a spinoff from a DAZ shader. So tell me what you think.

Winters_Realm.png
    1400 x 1400 - 4M
  • Looks really good, Linwelly!  Love the ice.  :)

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

It's  stalactites and stalagmites    and I was taught when I was young the Tites stick tight to the ceiling and the mites might grow up to meet them

• KeryaKerya Posts: 10,943

StalagMites - I was taught those are the ones growing from the floor, the letter M in caps is two stalagmites. Stalactites - there is a memory aid for that too - they are the ones hanging down, because ... uhm ... the non politically correct word for breasts ... are hanging down. ;o)

To answer your questions:

I would like the icicles very much! I don't know how your created them - so I don't know if sharing is permitted.

The shader you can't share, because a spinoff of a Daz shader - or any bought or freebie shader - is not permitted to be shared. Only exception: some freebies allow sharing of derivatives and some "resource" or "merchant resource" items in the store allow selling of derivatives, and a very few allow freebie derivatives.

I would certainly use these.  Other people know more than I do about the legalities of shaders though.

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I was just taught "c for ceiling and g for ground", as in stalaCtites and stalaGmites. Rather boring really compared to the other aides memoire.

• Kerya said:

The shader you can't share, because a spinoff of a Daz shader - or any bought or freebie shader - is not permitted to be shared. Only exception: some freebies allow sharing of derivatives and some "resource" or "merchant resource" items in the store allow selling of derivatives, and a very few allow freebie derivatives.

...and this references a question I had in a different thread.  

If the shader in question has no texture maps - i.e. is just a matter of Iray dial settings, then can it really not be modified and shared?  

Consider, for example, the standard Iray water texture.  It's basically the default texture with a refraction index of 1.33 and a refraction weight of 1.00.  The index is a well-known scientific constant.  If we could not share shader presets that were derived from this, then no water shaders could ever be sold.  Obviously, that's not the case.

The same holds true for thin glass shader.

The default Iray car paint shader is more complex, but at the end of the day it's a set of color choices and dial settings with no texture maps.  If anything derived from that is considered Intellectual Property, then any shader that uses a combination of base color, glossy color, glossy roughness, metallic flakes, and top coat would be off limits.  Again, that's obviously not the case.

So there has to be some other condition that triggers whether or not a shader preset is considered Intellectual Property.  

Obviously, the presence of texture maps clearly make a shader proprietary. 

But is there a condition that triggers that status for shaders that don't have textures?   I don't know.

Kerya said:

...and this references a question I had in a different thread.  

If the shader in question has no texture maps - i.e. is just a matter of Iray dial settings, then can it really not be modified and shared?  

Consider, for example, the standard Iray water texture.  It's basically the default texture with a refraction index of 1.33 and a refraction weight of 1.00.  The index is a well-known scientific constant.  If we could not share shader presets that were derived from this, then no water shaders could ever be sold.  Obviously, that's not the case.

The same holds true for thin glass shader.

The default Iray car paint shader is more complex, but at the end of the day it's a set of color choices and dial settings with no texture maps.  If anything derived from that is considered Intellectual Property, then any shader that uses a combination of base color, glossy color, glossy roughness, metallic flakes, and top coat would be off limits.  Again, that's obviously not the case.

So there has to be some other condition that triggers whether or not a shader preset is considered Intellectual Property.  

Obviously, the presence of texture maps clearly make a shader proprietary. 

But is there a condition that triggers that status for shaders that don't have textures?   I don't know.

Actually I got a response from support that as long as it goes with the prop together it should be ok for the shader that is a spinof from a DAZ shader. If the basic shader was a PA shader it  would have to be cleared woth the PA. So the good news it will be with the ice shader (iray), the bad news is that I still don't know much about freebie preparation. But I started a thread over at the freebie section and got some people willing to help me.

One I got the procedure done and my freebie up I will document it and put it up here and probably on my dA site.

Thanks for all the funny and informative posts about stalagmites and stalagtites, I propably just say dripstone from now on, or was it flowstone?

• Richard Haseltine answered this question once in a thread a while back.  I'm not sure if I can track down the thread or not.  Basically, he said that we could look at the settings of a surface and make note of how things are made.  However, when we make a new surface it has to be our own.  Your settings can end up being really similar but you aren't copying the original work.  I'm paraphrasing and may not have gotten that exactly how he said it. 

I think this can be applied to shaders as well.  As for settings like refraction that come from scientific constants, those are easily looked up and I don't think anyone would argue that similarity since those are the types of things that we rely on to get the surface to look as realistic as possible.  Even though you may look at a surface a vendor made to see how they did it, your work must be your own.  We do this all of the time in art.  I don't think doing the same when we make surfaces are any different.  It is the same as a painter mixing his own colors.  He looks at other works to see the colors used and tries to get his color as close as possible but his recipe for how he got there is slightly different.

Can some tell me how to get that brainslug out of my head again... its been pestering for days nowsad.. as soo as its gone I can get to packing up that freebie now I rather put myself back to bed.

Ok, I made it public, here is my very first freebie, I hope you like it: https://www.sharecg.com/v/87071/browse/21/DAZ-Studio/Icicle

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    edited January 2017

Hi Lin!

Thanks for offering the freebie.  It looks great in your renders! 

I tried using it earlier, and I put a post with my results in the Freebie thread for you.  Unfortunately, I can't get it to work.  To give you a little more info, when I load the prop, I get an error message about missing files.  The prop comes in as a big gray block with no textures or materials.  When I click on the surfaces tab to try to look for materials, there's nothing in the list.  (Yes, I have the prop selected in the scene tab.)

I will keep watching to see if you figure it out.  I'd like to be able to offer freebies some day too.  I applaud your efforts, and will help test for you.  Unfortunately, I can't offer any suggestions.

sorry...

edit to add: hope you're feeling better soon!

Post edited by dHandle on

Thanks a lot dHandle, yes the brainslug has moved on finally, I answered your post on the freebie forum, makes more sense there as other with a similar problem can find the solution easier.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617
    Linwelly said:

...I answered your post on the freebie forum, makes more sense there as other with a similar problem can find the solution easier.

Yep...makes more sense.  I will keep an eye out there.

edited January 2017

I had another row with my frechled king who now goes by the name of Aeric, and i guess he's going to develop a little story.

I got all dreamy when working with him and thus he got all dreamy ridng  in that winter place, hope you enjoy!

Winter_ride.png
    1800 x 1012 - 4M

And yet another render with my lavely King Aeric a winterey ice cold place and a reunion with the barbarian who has the quite barbarian idea to challenge the king to a little dare.

When I started out with this i wanted to get the king all serious and probably even a bit dangerous.. he defeated that idea with ease and this came up instead... not really the dangerous type he is...

made again with iray and a lot of mix and match as well as some postwork in Gimp 2.8

• I like it! I wouldn't want to be there.  I like not having winter anymore!

Brrrr!  That about looks like my yard right now.  Over 6 inches earl this morning and 1-3 more coming tonight. UGH!  I love it when characters decide they want to do something completely different than what we had in mind lol.

Thank you both! Yes I need to stop making winter renders.. drives my heating bill up, I keep being cold while I make them wink

• mori_mannmori_mann Posts: 1,152

Tea always helps ;) 

I've given up trying to tame characters. They end up doing as they plese anyway.

• Looks like your start with Iray was crowned with success! Beautiful Renders, Linwelly!

Congratulations to your first freebie! I will download the Icicles. Maybe I can put them to good use sometime in the future.

@mori_mann yes tea is always good in winter, especially with bit of rum in it blush

@MN_150374 Thanks a lot Mike, it was quite the blast I had with it, and not that much of a challange as I feared, but time ios coming I return doing some stuff in 3delight. I want to see if my new insights will change something the way I work with that renderer. And I really hope to see some renders with my icicles, wnat to know what others make of that.