Show Us Your Bryce Renders!

Comments

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Bank holiday rendering projects... Put on your 3D glasses now. All rendered in Bryce, no postwork, a set of advanced optical filters split the single camera's perspective view along two different paths, tinting them along the way red for the left path, cyan for the right.

Anag2.jpg
    750 x 422 - 125K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Very nice, anaglyph, David...great depth. Not many like the so-called 3D effect now increasingly seen evermore in the latest blockbuster, but I for one am defintely a fan - the more visual the experience, the better.

anyone guess what the filter does?

Hmmm...it's got to be an 'electron-beam-generator filter', as it looks exactly like one of those Electron Microscope images :) I got the chance one time to use one of these 'scopes (had to find the exact angle in the gratings of a diffraction prism), and maannn, it sure is one cool piece of serious kit. And that was over ten years ago, so imagine what they are capable of showing us now. Your filtered image also looks like a UV (ultraviolet) image, so that is the type of filter effect that you're after (don't answer, as I'm only throwing just shapes)?

Jay

edited December 1969

Thanks. Er... no to the filter, although that is something I've been experimenting on and off with for a few years now. Here's the closest I've got on that score. A clue for the other... try a set square.

Elebestguess1.jpg
    600 x 600 - 190K
  • pumecopumeco Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Bank holiday rendering projects... Put on your 3D glasses now. All rendered in Bryce, no postwork, a set of advanced optical filters split the single camera's perspective view along two different paths, tinting them along the way red for the left path, cyan for the right.

I used to stick a glass sphere in front of the camera and attach it to mimic lens distortion directly in the render, but what you have done here goes way further and is pretty amazing to say the least. You got me wondering if you rendered it in two passes or one. If you rendered it in two then it's very cool, but if you rendered it in one pass, then that's the neatest thing I've ever seen in Bryce, certainly on an innovation level.

Well done, both of you.

edited December 1969

pumeco said:

I used to stick a glass sphere in front of the camera and attach it to mimic lens distortion directly in the render, but what you have done here goes way further and is pretty amazing to say the least. You got me wondering if you rendered it in two passes or one. If you rendered it in two then it's very cool, but if you rendered it in one pass, then that's the neatest thing I've ever seen in Bryce, certainly on an innovation level.

Well done, both of you.

Thanks Len,

Rendered in one pass you will be pleased to hear. This is just a WIP - a cobbled together system of lenses and filters sat in front of the perspective camera splits the rays along diverse routes and colours them accordingly. Hopefully Horo can figure out the particulars of how it works so we can get it set up for predictable results. So pretty neat huh?

Here's another one that uses mirrors to trap the light and redouble it on itself while it is blurred a little with each bounce.

Burnout_blur1.jpg
    750 x 562 - 88K
    edited December 1969

Oh it's definitely neat, in fact I think you should give the workaround for stereo a proper name.

To my knowledge, no one has ever pulled-off a stereo image rendered within an application that doesn't have stereo as part of the specification before. If this thing is a first, and I think it is, then it needs something to identify it as a procedure, something to mark it as something you both discovered. If you don't, some sad twat will come along and claim it as theirs.

Interesting idea on the soft focus as well, I'm pretty sure I get how that one is done, but it's neat nonetheless. But that stereo thing, that's just inventiveness at it's best, and even if you weren't able to figure out the particulars for it, you have opened up a world of possibilities for everyone using an application that doesn't do stereo imaging as part of it's spec.

You have achieved a feature that normally needs to be programmed into the application, I'd say that's neat, respect to both of you.

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

pumeco said:
    @Szark
    Very detailed, glad I didn't have to render it!

LOL yeah it took a while.

WOW David you never cease to amaze me, well done. I just wish I had some 3d glasses to hand. :)

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    pumeco said:
    @Szark
    Very detailed, glad I didn't have to render it!

LOL yeah it took a while.

WOW David you never cease to amaze me, well done. I just wish I had some 3d glasses to hand. :)

Thank you Szark, well you should have glasses on stand by - right next to your monitor - at all times - just in case... As you may or may not know, Horo and myself have been working on abstracts and tutorials for abstracts. I don't know how to do a commercial tag, so just pretend I did. This is the thing... 200 + colourful but essentially meaningless. With 14 video tutorials.

Popup_7.jpg
    500 x 650 - 180K
    Popup_4.jpg
    500 x 650 - 211K
    Popup_3.jpg
    500 x 650 - 186K
    Popup_2.jpg
    500 x 650 - 182K
    Popup_1.jpg
    500 x 650 - 169K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited June 2012

Oh those are so cool, way out and all the rest of the applicable words.

BTW, if you post it as a commercial thread, all on its own, you just add [Commercial] at the end of the thread title, because the content advisory tags are not working at the moment. Had you realised you can also post a 2nd commercial in the Commercial Forum.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

Thanks Pam!

No I wasn't really aware of there being a commercial forum. The website behaves a bit oddly for me now, sometimes I can post a comment and other times, in spite of being logged in, it will not let me. Also the PA issues forum remains similarly illusive. This list here... Is how I am navigating.

Image1.jpg
    445 x 324 - 43K
  • HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 1969

Yeah, doing those abstract was huge fun. There are a mere 200+ but we show how they can be done and the outcome controlled, they render in seconds and you'll come up with millions, billions even, once you know how easy they can be done. The possibilities are virtually limitless. A joy to the eye, stirs the imagination ...

We're also working on lenses for the Bryce camera. After David set the stage, I'm currently working on establishing the controls to render anaglyphs in one go, A series of lens vignetting filters are ready. Effect filters await closer investigation. It's all exceedingly exciting and I doubt that what we're currently up to could be done with another 3D app. Bryce has so many tricks up the sleeve that await to be discovered.

edited December 1969

Thanks Pam!

No I wasn't really aware of there being a commercial forum. The website behaves a bit oddly for me now, sometimes I can post a comment and other times, in spite of being logged in, it will not let me. Also the PA issues forum remains similarly illusive. This list here... Is how I am navigating.

I suggest you go into the Forum top, It is easier to navigate. Once in the forum, you need to Log Out in order to be able to Log In. Strange but it appears that the button never changes. If you cannot log in, you're already logged in, even though you've logged out yesterday. This website behaves a bit weird since it was launched but it will work smoothly eventually - daz-anon.

edited June 2012

yes apparently there is some sort of cahing problem.. As Horo says log out on a page that you are shown as being logged in on, and then logging in again should work.

Also if you get other weirdness then try clearing browser cache and cookies, and then force the page by doing a forced frefesh. usually works.

And I usually, when I get to the screen you show in your screen shot just hit the "Forums" button, and then I get the index of all forums I have permissions for..

In the TOS, which was niclely put at the top of all forums, so no one had an excuse not to read it, it does say that Daz PAs can have 2 Commercial threads, one in the Commercial Forum, and one either in the App forum or in the Commons, Off site vendors are only allowed to post in the Commercial Forum.

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    yes apparently there is some sort of cahing problem.. As Horo says log out on a page that you are shown as being logged in on, and then logging in again should work.

Also if you get other weirdness then try clearing browser cache and cookies, and then force the page by doing a forced frefesh. usually works.

And I usually, when I get to the screen you show in your screen shot just hit the "Forums" button, and then I get the index of all forums I have permissions for..

In the TOS, which was niclely put at the top of all forums, so no one had an excuse not to read it, it does say that Daz PAs can have 2 Commercial threads, one in the Commercial Forum, and one either in the App forum or in the Commons, Off site vendors are only allowed to post in the Commercial Forum.

Thank you Pam, yes the logging out loggin in did the trick. As for reading the TOS you clearly have an exaggerated expectation of my ability to read reams of doublespeak. Is there a version in pictographic form?

edited December 1969

Hey, we worked very hard on that to try and make it more readable,

• IceScribeIceScribe Posts: 690
    edited September 2012

Image removed being stuck in the middle of a discussion about anaglyphic renders, and not being anaglyphic.

Post edited by IceScribe on
    edited December 1969

Horo said:
    We're also working on lenses for the Bryce camera. After David set the stage, I'm currently working on establishing the controls to render anaglyphs in one go, A series of lens vignetting filters are ready. Effect filters await closer investigation. It's all exceedingly exciting and I doubt that what we're currently up to could be done with another 3D app. Bryce has so many tricks up the sleeve that await to be discovered.
    Sounds very cool to have 3D filters within the render, and it's perfect if you're a purist (which a lot of Brycers are), but It'll be interesting to see the effect on render times.

I know rendering through even a single sphere to get lens distortion can pack heaps on the render time, even on a simple scene.

edited June 2012

Another anaglyph test.

Edit: What I've found is that any kind of jpg compression on these type of images seems to degrade the effect markedly.

GegALStest2.jpg
    750 x 563 - 715K
    Post edited by David Brinnen on
    edited December 1969

Ok, had to see if this 3d-3d craze is working. I got out my hubby's plastic (not cardboard) 3d spectacles to see the anaglyphs. Interesting. I think the most successful was the one with the arches. I could move my head, and move the screen and see a slight difference of the objects's apparent position. Pretty high tek-ian stuff! (shuffles off to render another ordinary scene).

edited December 1969

Thanks for the feedback IceScribe.

Yes we are still finding our way with this effect and trying to determine what can and can't be done. Most premium effects are out of the question for obscure reasons - that being said, he's a TA rendered using this method. Seems to work quite nice. Long render time but then again, it is TA, so that is to be expected anyhow.

TA_anaglyph.jpg
    750 x 422 - 347K
    edited December 1969

Oooh! Crashed spaceship and mesas, nice depth to that one. I don't know what TA stands for in this kind of rendering. Keeping my borrowed glasses near to see what else you artists come up with.

edited December 1969

TA = True Ambience. It is a premium effect render setting that produces good results under certain circumstances and almost always takes quite a long time. I need to fix my banner then I can point to the tutorials Horo and I have made on this and various other topics. Here's a quick link to be going on with while I get organised http://www.bryce-tutorials.info/ so, back to the experiments with the Anaglyph Lens System. Here the lenses have been adjusted to "shrink" the scene. These ships are supposed to look like models. Because the backdrop isn't without colours this causes some issues in itself since strong colours close to the filter colours used meddles with the effect. The model is one obtained from DAZ and made by Philip Drawbridge http://www.daz3d.com/shop/pausanias-cruiser/ indeed I like all of his space ships and I see this one is on offer at the moment. The HDRI space backdrop is one of ours http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-deep-space-hdri-2/

Space_scene_test1.jpg
    750 x 422 - 376K
    edited December 1969
    Numbstorm_anaglyph_test.jpg
    750 x 750 - 1M
    edited December 1969

And another - using a scene from this one http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-islands/

Tmyis2_anaglyph.jpg
    750 x 375 - 379K
    edited December 1969

It's no good, these just make my eyes go funny. Well funnier that they already are. :roll:

It's very clever, and one of the CVs is trying to do it a similar thing using poser, but I guess I am primarily a 2d artist, despite using 3d apps to get the results I want.

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    It's no good, these just make my eyes go funny.

You do have red/cyan goggles, do you? And the red goes to the left eye. I mention the detail about the colours because I wrote a lot of hair-raising theories two days ago until I noticed I had inadvertently looked the wrong way through the glasses. Doh ...

Looking at 3D pictures (any method) needs some getting used to. For some, it comes quite easy, for others it is more difficult. A small percentage of humans never get a 3D impression.

The advantage of anaglyphs is that the viewing apparatus is cheap, one $ or so. The disadvantage is that the pictures ought to be monochrome because colours can spoil the 3D-effect or make your head spin. It depends, though. Sometimes it works with colour pictures.

edited December 1969

:red: I have to admit I don't have any 3d glasses of any sort now, have only played a bit with cheap ones in the past. . I have a slightly disfunctional eye, inasmuch as it is defined as a lazy eye ((although not badly so). I think this is probably, or possibly the reason that anaglyphs do nothing for me, so I have never bothered to get any good red/cyan goggles,

edited December 1969

chohole said:
    :red: I have to admit I don't have any 3d glasses of any sort now, have only played a bit with cheap ones in the past. . I have a slightly disfunctional eye, inasmuch as it is defined as a lazy eye ((although not badly so). I think this is probably, or possibly the reason that anaglyphs do nothing for me, so I have never bothered to get any good red/cyan goggles,

You need the glasses. It won't work without.

Another_space_scene_anaglyph_test1.jpg
    750 x 750 - 720K
    edited December 1969

Another TA render.

TA_render_test2.jpg
    750 x 422 - 406K
    edited December 1969

Here with an attempt to bring objects out of the screen.

Spark_plug_anaglyph.jpg
    750 x 562 - 702K
This discussion has been closed.