Show Us Your Bryce Renders! Part 3

ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
edited March 2013 in Bryce Discussion

Part 2 was here

I got to play with one of the Christmas freebies I downloaded.

I am sure David, or someone would set it up much better than I did, but it was great to get Bryce christmas freebies from someone other than David or Horo.

THey are still available for a few hours longer http://www.francemi.net/ravyn.htm

Post edited by Chohole on

Comments

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@chohole: That is a nice looking lamp. I did download two lamps from your link, but the download for three structures I liked froze not to long into the download. I mainly wanted them for study, to learn how they were made, so it's not that important I couldn't download them. I may try later.

@Dave: Oops, I thought I had patched that hole. Seems more of my ignorance leaked out. Will definitely try a different brand of patching material. Still, you do nice work.

@eireann: That is a very good looking tunnel/tube(?).

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Sorry about the problem you are having with the downloads Guss. Some are getting them with no problems, some seem to have problems. Alisa did ask people to respect that she sometimes has bandwidth problems. They have changed hosts now, but even on the old host I am afraid that the popularity of the chohole site, which used to be hosted there, did bring Francemi to it's knees twice, which is why I am hosted elsewhere now. I guess Alisa had underestimated how popular these downloads would be, as they are mostly all in only OBJ and OBP formats.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,069
    edited December 2012

Very nice lamp! I had a look at the site as well. Nice models, indeed. Thanks for posting the link.

Post edited by Horo on
  • Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Oh nice lamp indeed. I also like the other one further down the page. ;-)

• StuartBStuartB Posts: 596
    edited December 1969

Not posted anything for ages so I thought I'd post this. Still been looking
    in though, seen some excellent images lately from everyone.
    This is all the components from my first submission built up in to a complete piston and bearing.
    Used an HDRI for the lighting and background image.

I'm struggling to understand the time it was taking to render though.
    Bryce told me it was 7 hrs 56 mins. That was on Christmas eve when I started rendering.

I left it on overnight and by morning it had only done 24%. I left it on all Christmas day
    and night, when I looked on Boxing day it had only done 56%.

I finally stopped the render process today @ 62%.

The render settings were Premium Quality, Soft Shadows, 144 Rays Per Pixel, and Maximum Ray Depth was set to 6.

This image was only done with Regular (Normal AA) and it took lest than an hour, but the difference is really not noticeable.

Pistons1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 268K
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

From this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14058/

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHG4GbdMpCU

Using this http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-true-3d-rendering (which is presently on offer ;)

Render time 7 and a half hours (due to using premium effects TA rendering). You'll need to dig out your red and cyan 3D glasses to really appreciate what is going on though - also, click on the image to view full sized.

Nice work Stuart! Working out what particular render mode to take advantage of is an art in itself. As a rule of thumb, the more reflective objects you have in your scene, the less sophisticated the render mode and lighting set up you need to fool the eye.

Landscape_lake_v5_3D.jpg
    1400 x 700 - 563K
    edited December 1969

Thanks David.
    I know I have a pair of those glasses somewhere, just can't find them, not giving up though.

edited December 1969

@chohole: I don't know what was going on chohole. Download would always stop at a certain percentage downloaded. I decided to switch to IE to see if it made a difference. It didn't. But what I discovered, using IE, was if I Paused the download, then Resumed, the download completed. Unfortunately I discovered this to late in the evening and lost out downloading a couple I would like to have had.

@Stuart: That image is really good. Like the work you do.

@David: The mountains in your 3D are terrific, but there appears to be something amiss with the boat and woman. It's as though both are out of phase with the rest of the image. Either that or my bad eyes are worse than I realize.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Jamie, some images I can't resolve for some reason - at least at first anyway - sometimes the answer is to either alter the size of the image or the viewing distance. When I set the scenes up they are on a monitor about an arms length in front of me and it's a wide screen format something like 22 inches diagonally. The display resolution is HD 1920 pixels across and the image is whatever pixels across it is. Of course you could still have this identical viewing set up but our eyes my vary and the colour quality of the filters may vary. So always this kind of anaglyph is a tricky proposition. Thanks for the feedback!

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Sorry that my first contribution is just some variation of where I left off in the previous thread.

I seem to be stuck on trying out different colourways on this Harley V-Rod model.
    I'm rendering a version with a naked woman sprawled on the bike at the moment, but I won't be able to post that one when it's done. :)

NightRod.jpg
    700 x 500 - 242K
    LimeVRod.jpg
    700 x 500 - 215K
  • JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 2012

Stuart...as always love your works.

Just a query (and not only to yourself, but others, too), is using the Premium/Soft Shadows..etc., always the best case? Yes, these settings always seem to produce excellent results from past works I've seen here, however, I really don't think they are necessary, unless one is producing works for professional ends and means.

I've only once used these settings, and while they looked better, I recall thinking that I could easily have went with the default settings, with only a tweek on the shadows' value. This shadow-softening issue I think is a problem sometimes, as while setting the value to 100 %, a lot of detail - the curve of a hip, the sharpness of an edge etc., - can be lost because-so.

I wonder, then, is using the Premium/Soft shadow etc., settings (and others as recommended) always necessary; as for these forum purposes in showing works, a lot of computer of time, and other wasteful resources could be avoided for us Brycers.

David...mountains work great, but the boat and girl are really out of synce (3D-wise). What is she doing with here leg - make-shift fishing rod? :)

Savage...loving the hogs (any Suzukis - ah, good times - revving their way to you?) :)

Jay

Post edited by Jamahoney on
    edited December 1969

Thanks GussNemo I appreciate your comments.

@Jamahoney: Thanks for the kind comment. I think a lot of the time trial and error play a big part in getting a good render.
    I don't think we always need the highest quality settings to get a high quality image, and it does take up
    a lot of time rendering part of the image, changing settings, re-rendering etc. I also noticed that with some materials and textures changing settings a lot doesn't always produce much of a change in the actual image.
    It's still good to experiment though.

• Dave SavageDave Savage Posts: 2,433
    edited December 1969

Jamahoney said:
    Just a query (and not only to yourself, but others, too), is using the Premium/Soft Shadows..etc., always the best case? Yes, these settings always seem to produce excellent results from past works I've seen here, however, I really don't think they are necessary, unless one is producing works for professional ends and means.

I've only once used these settings, and while they looked better, I recall thinking that I could easily have went with the default settings, with only a tweek on the shadows' value. This shadow-softening issue I think is a problem sometimes, as while setting the value to 100 %, a lot of detail - the curve of a hip, the sharpness of an edge etc., - can be lost because-so.

I wonder, then, is using the Premium/Soft shadow etc., settings (and others as recommended) always necessary; as for these forum purposes in showing works, a lot of computer of time, and other wasteful resources could be avoided for us Brycers.

It entirely depends on what you want the end result to look like.
    There are times when regular render settings are perfect for the desired result, but other times when premium settings are required.
    Using TA does need an different way to approach setting up a scene and it's worth taking the time to do because the result will be more realistic, but if realism isn't what you're going for, there may be no point (though there are plenty of ways of using TA to create abstract effects too).

The thing that prevented me from using Bryce a lot in the past was the render times, but over the past 2 years, I've got gradually used to waiting a few hours for a render (when Poser can render something similar in 5 minutes, but not to the same level of lighting control).

As long as the end result is what the artist is looking for, it's not time wasted. :)

loving the hogs (any Suzukis - ah, good times - revving their way to you?) :)

Thanks.
    No, I haven't seen a Suzuki I like the look of (I never liked the Suzuki Savage with it's blocky single cylinder engine).
    I ride a Kawasaki EN500 myself and would love to find a model of one of those, but it's an old bike and people who make models seem to prefer doing the V Twin ones not the parallel twins.
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Yeah, I know what you mean. I would love to find a model of one of the older Triumphs, as the gang I hung around with back in the day all rode Triumphs. Bonnevilles, Thunderbirds and such.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/289/1536/Motorcycle-Article/Memorable-MC-1960-Triumph-Bonneville.aspx

• JamahoneyJamahoney Posts: 1,791
    edited December 1969

Thanks, Stuart and Savage.Ah, Kawa's...didn't own one, but rode one once - huge pertrol tanks on them I remember. Damn powerful machines, too!

Chohole...ah yes, the old Triumphs were great bikes to ride, too. Herrum, herrum. Of course, you do know that Obama once rode one? Yeah, when he won this year's second election to the Presidency, his Triumph was heard all over the World ;)

Jay

• edited December 2012

StuartB4 said:
    Not posted anything for ages so I thought I'd post this. Still been looking
    in though, seen some excellent images lately from everyone.
    This is all the components from my first submission built up in to a complete piston and bearing.
    Used an HDRI for the lighting and background image.

I'm struggling to understand the time it was taking to render though.
    Bryce told me it was 7 hrs 56 mins. That was on Christmas eve when I started rendering.

I left it on overnight and by morning it had only done 24%. I left it on all Christmas day
    and night, when I looked on Boxing day it had only done 56%.

I finally stopped the render process today @ 62%.

The render settings were Premium Quality, Soft Shadows, 144 Rays Per Pixel, and Maximum Ray Depth was set to 6.

This image was only done with Regular (Normal AA) and it took lest than an hour, but the difference is really not noticeable.

Hello StuartB4,

Again very nice Bryce modelling work [ i am assuming it was all modeled in Bryce].

Render is great too.

Perhaps for your subject matter TA, 144 R/P, 6 RD are not necessary. I think the reflections were the killer in your case!

You are right, Normal AA is fine for your scene.

Here is a render http://www.daz3d.com/index.php?&ACT=50&fid=38&aid=40810_SvaPXja8kHKGujLisAZz&board_id=1 i did with similar settings [TA, 144 R/P, 12 RD] but very big final size [suitable for printing] which took 3 weeks. Why 3 weeks? Well the water had reflection and refraction and half the objects [tens of thousands of MetaBalls] were rendered underwater which contributed to the overall lighting because of the "light bouncing around under the water surface" [technically that is not what actually happens but is an intuitive understanding of it].

Kind regards,

Peter

Post edited by pbudarick_4a3d2ac478 on
  • edited December 2012

From this http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/14058/

And this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHG4GbdMpCU

Using this http://www.daz3d.com/shop/bryce-7-pro-true-3d-rendering (which is presently on offer ;)

Render time 7 and a half hours (due to using premium effects TA rendering). You'll need to dig out your red and cyan 3D glasses to really appreciate what is going on though - also, click on the image to view full sized.

Nice work Stuart! Working out what particular render mode to take advantage of is an art in itself. As a rule of thumb, the more reflective objects you have in your scene, the less sophisticated the render mode and lighting set up you need to fool the eye.

Nice work David.

NewTek sent me a CD of LW3D version 10, a Tee-shirt and Red and Magenta glasses. They want me to upgrade. I won't be doing that, but now i have the "3D glasses"! Now can look at your anaglyph work.

After some time i was able to see the 3D effect on both the mountain sides. They sort of look like cutouts on different planes receding into the distance. Striking effect. The boat with the woman in it, did not do much for me. But then again my eyes are not very good.

Good that you got your BryceOIP Anaglyph Engine to market. Good luck with that.

I am working on various Bryce OIP Lenses to get decent perspectives because i like wide angle shots but the default Bryce perspective is terrible. Thanks for giving me some tips on that subject some time ago.

Kind regards,

Peter

P.S. "OIP" means Optical Image Processing.

• Dan WhitesideDan Whiteside Posts: 497
    edited December 1969

Just some fun with displacement (non-Bryce) - displacement textures from Artmatic, objects from the Curvy 3D demo except for ground and sphere from Modo, displacement done in Modo. All the objects are around 400k polys. Textured with the displacement texture except for object on the right
    Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a Happy New Year!

curvey_2.jpg
    1000 x 750 - 293K
  • edited December 2012

Well as we are nearing the end of 2012, i may as well show you some of my renders for this year.

These were all done while i was silent and working on the ARDL Tutorial.

Because i have 2 computers i could employ one of them for doing renders for many months at a stretch.

All the objects are created in Bryce and all the Optical Image Processing is done in Bryce. No photoshop or other 3D Modelling Applications

To start. What may become part of a future underwater scene. Objects made only from Bryce Cylinders and Spheres.

Branching_16.jpg
    1400 x 800 - 1016K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

Well as we are nearing the end of 2012, i may as well show you some of my renders for this year.

These were all done while i was silent and working of the ARDL Tutorial.

Because i have 2 computers i could employ one of them for doing renders for many months at a stretch.

All the objects are created in Bryce and all the Optical Image Processing is done in Bryce. No photoshop or other 3D Modelling Applications

To start. What may become part of a future underwater scene. Objects made only from Bryce Cylinders and Spheres.

wow thats good.

• edited December 2012

Here is another model suitable for future underwater scene.

Made entirely of MetaBalls.

It is a bit too symmetrical and gaudy in this render, but that was done to test the form.

Marine_Form_107.jpg
    1200 x 855 - 652K
  • edited December 2012

On the subject of Form and Shape

A Form made entirely of MetaBalls which has different Shapes depending on the viewing angle and lighting conditions.

With the right Material it will probably end up as part of a Marine Scene because it can be used many times over in such a scene.

Many of those shapes have that nautical organism look to them.

I have also been able to create Instances of it.

There are 12 pictures of the same Form.

Renders_03.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 851K
    Renders_02.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 755K
    Renders_01.jpg
    1600 x 1600 - 781K
  • edited December 1969

Sometimes i like to have fun and do a simple fantasy thing with Bryce.

All made from MetaBalls.

Fantasy_07.jpg
    800 x 800 - 233K
  • edited December 2012

Sometimes i am in dark mood. Then i do rather abstract and disturbing stuff.

Like this one.

Extensive BryceOIP work. 9 Composit Plates all up!!! Each object has 3 Channels.

The A, B and C channels are used in the MatLab for each object.

Channel C blend A and B using a Distance Render.

The objects are individually lit. This is getting quite close to what you would do in Photoshop but it is all done in Bryce.

I do all my Post work ONLY in Bryce during the Final Render.

This one turned out a bit flatter then i would like. Fortunately i have all the files and can render it again. That is the beauty of compositing in Bryce.

Composition_03.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 503K
  • edited December 2012

This one demonstrates that you can have a single Bryce object both in front and behind a composit plate.

The composit plate is of a Gnarly MB Object with a transparent skin and with reflective cores inside. You would not want to render that from scratch every time you did an edit with full TA.

The sky is also a 3 channel composit plate [that means two different renders of the sky are blended].

It is a rather boring composition and only serves to demonstrate a range of techniques.

Composition_02.jpg
    1514 x 855 - 796K
  • RarethRareth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 1969

hmm.. somehow this pales in comparison to the previous poster's pictures..

alien-run.jpg
    1754 x 875 - 459K
  • edited December 1969

David has been doing some nice things with his Fancy Cubes made in Wings.

I thought i would create some Fancy Tetrahedrons with an open center [but they are still quite simple] and distribute them in the sky. 8 Metaballs were used to make the Object, which was converted to a Mesh in Bryce so i could use instances. I had to distribute the objects by hand because the Random Dispersal/Rotate Tool does not give good results. The objects never seem to end up in the locations one would like when seen from the camera.

Well that is it for 2012.

In 2013 you will see a completely different approach.

Platonic_Tetra_19_[250].jpg
    1514 x 855 - 620K
  • edited December 2012

Rareth said:
    hmm.. somehow this pales in comparison to the previous poster's pictures..

Hello Rarath,

That is nice but lighting needs bit more dynamic range.

It would be a lot of work to create something like that in Bryce ONLY.

Your work and others convinces me that i need to get human characters into my scenes.

I guess i need to learn DAZ Studio.

Kind regards,

Peter

P.S> I have checked out your website "Rareth's Digital Creations" Good character work! Bright and detailed.

• edited December 1969

chohole said:
    Part 2 was here

I got to play with one of the Christmas freebies I downloaded.

I am sure David, or someone would set it up much better than I did, but it was great to get Bryce christmas freebies from someone other than David or Horo.

THey are still available for a few hours longer http://www.francemi.net/ravyn.htm

Hello chohole,

Yes David can do everything better then you and i.

Nice render of an object that would be VERY difficult to create entirely in BRYCE.

But you tempt me to do just that.

Can't download it now no more, but will try and recreate something like that [from your render image] in Bryce ONLY.

I notice it was a polygonal object and one can see the polygons in the render [ not your fault ].

No promises of course, and i may alter the design [which is not quite to my liking]. But we will see.

Kind regards and have a good slide into the New Year.

Peter.

edited December 1969

@Dave: That particular style of motorcycle does make an excellent on screen model. Though the black ones look nice, I think your color ones bring out more features of the bike. I can just imagine the buttons popping on the shirt of the person who actually built one of those.

@Dan: I find your image quite interesting. Love the color combinations.

@Peter: All of your images are really nice, though your last one makes me want to look up while being outside. Nice job, for play.

@Rareth: From one perspective, I agree with Peter about the lighting. From another perspective, that image has the makings of a science fiction novel. Why is she there? Where is she? What is about to jump out at her? That image is real nice.

Looking for something to play with, I finally decided it was time to play with those fancy cubes made from Wings. I felt because I achieved the same results as in David's tutorial, I could now try something off the cuff. I have several made, and will probably create more, and as soon as I get them into Bryce for their completion I get them posted.

This discussion has been closed.