What are your favorite pose packs?

Comments

• AllegraAllegra Posts: 405

Here's a list of the Poses and expressions i use on a regular basis...mostly Genesis 3

http://www.daz3d.com/feel-it-mix-and-match-expressions-for-victoria-7  Love the ability to quickly change the upper and lower facial expressions and hope to see more of these.

http://www.daz3d.com/capsces-vampy-arabella-7-poses-and-expressions Often use these mixing expressions and poses with

http://www.daz3d.com/dynamo-2-poses-for-genesis-2-female-s tops or bottoms, a great set of movement poses and I love that the arms are away from the body and not touching the face.

http://www.daz3d.com/i13-ethereon-pose-collection-for-the-genesis-3-female-s These are a great set of go-to full and partials

http://www.daz3d.com/play-your-hand-poses-for-genesis-3-female These have become my go-to for hand poses, great variety to suit every pose.

http://www.daz3d.com/dm-s-all-woman-poses Lovely set of poses, natural looking, elegant and sexy without going over the top.

http://www.daz3d.com/battle-2h-sword-poses Always a great start to setting up an action pose mixing with partials from other sets.

I also swap around Genesis 3 male and female poses to get the look I'm after.

Hope this helps.

• BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987
    BeeMKay said:

A list of those pose sets I use regularly, as base for some tweaking (G2, as I don't use much G3, and have bought little to no poses for them):

Thanks again!  This is exactly the sort of thoughtful review of each set that I was hoping to share.  I am going to wishlisting quite a few of these sets. :)

You're welcome. I actually made an addendum (last post on page 1), as I realized I have a handful more that I use regularly. 

I've also looked at the suggestions that othe posters here made, some very useful poses, indeed. 

• I'm a big fan of FeralFey, too.  I'd like to see more ordinary day action poses and interaction with the things around us.  The sort of grounding detal needed in story telling.  Also sports poses .. there are so many superhero poses, but few good volleyball, basketball or track (to name a few sports).

Awesome!  What specific poses do you think would be on that list?  Since FeralFey is checking in, you might give them some good ideas for the next set. ;)

I like believable poses with some kind of movement or attention..  Throwing frisbees, balls, running up/down stairs, cycling, lots of sports ...  XC skiing and other winter activities (there are some involving sleds, but think hockey, speed skating, snowboarding, skiing of various types.  Realistic pickup basketball.  I love volleyball.. particularly the beach game as you're only dealing with two people to a side.  For any of the sports there is a lot of video of high caliber play showing good form.  

Anything other than provocative poses in heels...:-)

• FeralFeyFeralFey Posts: 3,893

Of course, I'm keeping tabs. ;) 

I'd be foolish to not listen to what my customers want to see in poses. There have been some very good suggestions here - some of which I already had on my build list, but I'm always looking for other ideas.

• CapscesCapsces Posts: 465

Happy to see there are a few who enjoy the Capsces poses. Though most of the poses I am doing right now are determined by commission, I am always happy to know what is wanted. However, doing poses for personal satisfaction ususally entails fantasy or toon. :)

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926
    FeralFey said:

I would like to know about a hand grip set of poses for common everyday things like telephone(s), eating utensils, driving, gardening, construction work & various tools, art work and various tools, drinking via bottles & glasses,, musical instrument playing, and I'm sure there is more...but with the hands and fingers posed individually, not with those conglomerated pose dials that don't changed the individual bone dials any when you use them.

Actually, this is something I have in the works. ;)

I just wanted to poke my head in here and say thank you for all of you that have shown me your support. I try very hard to create poses that are useful, show action, and look realistic. It's my goal to help you all tell your stories through your artwork, since poses are the visual language here. The fact that many of you count me among your favorite pose creators is very gratifying. I hope that my futures sets won't disappoint. (And my personal guarantee - there will never be an unrealistic, hip-thrusty, boob-pokey pose in any of me sets. There are too many other pose creators to fill that square. Besides, there are more interesting subjects for me to cover.)

Cool, thanks very much!

• JQPJQP Posts: 510

My problem with most pose sets is that so many are going for nudie magazine poses, to the exclusion of all else. I find myself needing routine, everyday poses far more often. Women don't put their arms up over their heads all day long, they don't thrust their bellies forward and their buttocks backward all day long, they don't try to look sassy all day long, etc. The male poses have similar problems; too "posed."

I'm not particularly interested in how similar one pose is to another; most movements people make all day long are pretty similar to one another. It's not like we're all bursting into jumping jacks at every opportunity.

I totally get that people would get bored with a good library of routine poses, except, there kind of isn't a good library of routine poses to get bored with.

On a more personal note, I have a lot of call for outdoor living poses - sitting on the ground (doing a lot of living on the ground, actually; making or tending fires, cooking, eating, socializing, going through packs, repairing gear, etc., etc., etc.), gathering wood or herbs, carving wood, sharpening knives, hunting/stalking, cleaning a kill, fishing, etc. It's a pretty bare space.

Will have to check out some of the sets suggested here.

• JQPJQP Posts: 510
    edited January 2017

Would love to see a couple sets devoted to people firing small arms from cover in an urban space, too. With postures based on military training, I mean. And police/military sets of tactical poses, a team taking a door, etc. would also be nice. Proper shooting poses can be really time-consuming to get right, so it'd be great to have some of those as well. Heck, a proper, modular AR-15 would not go amiss...

Post edited by JQP on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Have you all seen the new Generational Poses for Toon Generations 2? There are tons of everyday poses in there for a variety of ages, and not just for toons. They'll work with any G3F and G3M. There's a script in the Freebie forum to roll any of these back to G2F and G2M. Definitely worth a look. I'm picking these up tonight!

There's something like 188 poses in this pack:

• Poses:
      • 18 Baby Girl Poses
      • 15 Little Girl Poses
      • 15 Young Girl Poses
      • 15 Teen Girl Poses
      • 15 Adult Woman Poses
      • 15 Old Woman Poses
      • 18 Baby Boy Poses
      • 15 Little Boy Poses
      • 15 Young Boy Poses
      • 15 Teen Boy Poses
      • 15 Adult Man Poses
      • 15 Old Man Poses
    Post edited by Llynara on
    FeralFey said:

I would like to know about a hand grip set of poses for common everyday things like telephone(s), eating utensils, driving, gardening, construction work & various tools, art work and various tools, drinking via bottles & glasses,, musical instrument playing, and I'm sure there is more...but with the hands and fingers posed individually, not with those conglomerated pose dials that don't changed the individual bone dials any when you use them.

It's my goal to help you all tell your stories through your artwork, since poses are the visual language here. 

So true! Body language is the first language we learn, and such a powerful one, especially in art! Having a great pose can make or break a visual story.

JQP said:

Would love to see a couple sets devoted to people firing small arms from cover in an urban space, too. With postures based on military training, I mean. And police/military sets of tactical poses, a team taking a door, etc. would also be nice. Proper shooting poses can be really time-consuming to get right, so it'd be great to have some of those as well. Heck, a proper, modular AR-15 would not go amiss...

You might get your wish...soon. ;)

• Well, as far as my wishlist goes, this might sound like an odd request.  I'd like some ordinary standing poses for flat feet, arms relaxed.  By ordinary, I mean not posing for the camera, but more captured by it...the kind of look you get when you take a candid photo and are caught with the camera.  The model can be just standing relaxed, but glance over and notice that a picture is being taken.  The reaction could be a shy smile, slightly irked, feigned disinterest, or recognition and warm smile.  So while these are still portraiture poses, they aren't runway or pinup looks.  I have nothing against the sexy heels type poses.  I just have a lot of that sort of thing already.  And, I only use a few them.  When I do a sexy sort of pose, I prefer the shy or sweet looks over the bombshell type.  You might call it genuinely attractive over magazine sexy.

The reason for the arms being relaxed is that more often than not, I find myself unbending the complex arm poses in order to reposition them for my scene.  If the pose incorporates extreme bends and twists, it can often be difficult to get them back to a usable stage.  Of course, two piece poses would be fine as long as one of the standard upper body poses was "arms relaxed naturally by sides."  

Perhaps you could call a set something like "Candid Camera" or "Caught on Film."

Just some ideas. :)

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

I only have a couple of bought pose sets, most of the poses I have are freebies. Zed3D and Adam Thwaites have some great free poses if you like pinup art (which I do). Another great free set is the Pleasure Pose Set by Forgekyle

My favorite bought set is The Spirit of '45 set. They are great classic pinup poses. I also like i13's Playful Pinup Poses

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

"http://www.daz3d.com/tavern-dining-hall-poses - A beautiful and really useful set of poses. They do need a bit tweaking if you use them in other settings, but they cover a lot of aspects of the "drunken party people" very well."

These are super useful for medieval tavern scenes as well as being the only set I have been able to find that gives me a base for serving poses.

"On a more personal note, I have a lot of call for outdoor living poses - sitting on the ground (doing a lot of living on the ground, actually; making or tending fires, cooking, eating, socializing, going through packs, repairing gear, etc., etc., etc.), gathering wood or herbs, carving wood, sharpening knives, hunting/stalking, cleaning a kill, fishing, etc. It's a pretty bare space."

Ditto

There are some good pose sets in the RDNA stack up sale. They're for older figures, but could be converted. IGD has quite a few sets in that sale, these two stand out as having a lot of useful, different ones in them, and there's 55 in each set: 

http://www.daz3d.com/igd_badlands-behavior-v4

http://www.daz3d.com/igd_badlands-behavior-m4

• I like poses that show a woman as strong and/or confident but not hyper sexualized.  Poses that are natural in how a woman really stands or sits, as another poster had put it, when candidly caught by the camera.  I like pose sets that take into account weight, movement, and gravity.  I've noticed a lot of dance and couples pose sets seem to completely ignore the impact the lifts would have on the male's stance and arms, unless the female only weighs as much as a helium balloon.

edited January 2017

Has anyone done any outlaw pose sets? Cowboys? Jesse James? That kind of stuff? Something like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Wyatt Earp, or those wonderful John Wayne Westerns. Would love to see some good Mexican standoff poses. You could call it "I Shot the Sheriff." LOL

Post edited by Llynara on
  • BeeMKayBeeMKay Posts: 6,987

"http://www.daz3d.com/tavern-dining-hall-poses - A beautiful and really useful set of poses. They do need a bit tweaking if you use them in other settings, but they cover a lot of aspects of the "drunken party people" very well."

These are super useful for medieval tavern scenes as well as being the only set I have been able to find that gives me a base for serving poses.

Yeap, also this pose set here is one of the few that has haggeling and paying poses (and also one I forgot earlier):

http://www.daz3d.com/marketplace-poses

• nicsttnicstt Posts: 11,714

No favourite, as I'm going to be changing it; I look for one that get's close, and that will do.

Looking for one that is nearer, takes longer than changing it; considering the one I find if I look longer will still need adjustment.

Casual standing, sitting getting used quite a lot; forget who did them.

• I have a question, which is not meant to offend anyone (PA, or amture enthusiast. et all) I have recently been revisiting V4.2, and G2F, and their poses. Granted, each of these generations had more limits to their flexability, that G3, however To my eye (once again, stricktly my opinion) the pose sets sold for these previous figures, on the whole, seemed to have a more natural, and intricate REAL feeling to them than most of what I haveseen since G3 arrrived on the scene. They also seemed to havemore of a variety of actions and themes. Most of what I see for G3 is either fantasy sword, gun,staff poses, or cheesecake sets with thrusty hips and come hither coyness. It also seems that the poses lack a certain realism that the older sets had, battle, and coy included. Is G3F for all her touted wonderful new joints, and meshes, simply more stiff, and difficult to posethan her predecessors, or is the sameness in most pose sets just easier to crank out? This is a genuine question, not a slam to anyone. I couldn' pose my way out of a wet paper bag with any generation of figures. And before it's mentioned I have both versions of pose conversion software, and the poses lose their lifelike ( not to mention reproduction) in the translation. So id it the figures? Many thanks for any responses.

I have a question, which is not meant to offend anyone (PA, or amture enthusiast. et all) I have recently been revisiting V4.2, and G2F, and their poses. Granted, each of these generations had more limits to their flexability, that G3, however To my eye (once again, stricktly my opinion) the pose sets sold for these previous figures, on the whole, seemed to have a more natural, and intricate REAL feeling to them than most of what I haveseen since G3 arrrived on the scene. They also seemed to havemore of a variety of actions and themes. Most of what I see for G3 is either fantasy sword, gun,staff poses, or cheesecake sets with thrusty hips and come hither coyness. It also seems that the poses lack a certain realism that the older sets had, battle, and coy included. Is G3F for all her touted wonderful new joints, and meshes, simply more stiff, and difficult to posethan her predecessors, or is the sameness in most pose sets just easier to crank out? This is a genuine question, not a slam to anyone. I couldn' pose my way out of a wet paper bag with any generation of figures. And before it's mentioned I have both versions of pose conversion software, and the poses lose their lifelike ( not to mention reproduction) in the translation. So id it the figures? Many thanks for any responses.

This does not offend me in the least. In fact, I am pleased that you bring this up. It's a valid question, deserving of a response. My only answer to this (and I'm speaking for myself here) is that there is not enough hours in a day. I would really like to update my previous versions of my poses to the later figgures. It's not the figures. Honest. It's, in my case, not enough time to do all the poses that I'd like to. I do try to get at least two or three pose sets built a month. I cannot speak for the other PAs.

I completely agree with you on the lack of realism (and variety) in most of the current figure's pose sets. I try my best to make sure my poses are realistic before I package them up because this is important to me. If the pose doesn't look natural, or realistic, I scrap it. Even if it looks "cool". If I can't get up from my computer desk and reproduce a pose, I know it's wrong. (Caveat, in some instances, I make my kids do the poses. I'm old and I consider it my parental priviledge. Lol.)

And don't even get me started on the fantasy sword poses... 

• QuixotryQuixotry Posts: 897
    edited January 2017

Most of my favorites are Genesis 2 poses. I guess I find Genesis 3 more fun to pose from scratch for some reason and then I just save anything I like well enough as a preset for later. Anyways, here are the sets that I find myself going back to over and over again:

Lovely realistic sitting poses: http://www.daz3d.com/sitting-pretty-for-gia, http://www.daz3d.com/vogue-poses-for-eva-7

Artistic poses that show off Ninive 6 to perfection: http://www.daz3d.com/i13-fantasy-poses-for-ninive-6

Great for storytelling and drama: http://www.daz3d.com/murder-she-posed, http://www.daz3d.com/storm-queen-poses

My favorite Genesis 3 Male pose set so far: http://www.daz3d.com/da-lucian-7-shadow-pose-set

Also, as someone else has already said, the weapons and poses sets from Polish are very useful.

FeralFey said:

This does not offend me in the least. In fact, I am pleased that you bring this up. It's a valid question, deserving of a response. My only answer to this (and I'm speaking for myself here) is that there is not enough hours in a day. I would really like to update my previous versions of my poses to the later figgures. It's not the figures. Honest. It's, in my case, not enough time to do all the poses that I'd like to. I do try to get at least two or three pose sets built a month. I cannot speak for the other PAs.

I completely agree with you on the lack of realism (and variety) in most of the current figure's pose sets. I try my best to make sure my poses are realistic before I package them up because this is important to me. If the pose doesn't look natural, or realistic, I scrap it. Even if it looks "cool". If I can't get up from my computer desk and reproduce a pose, I know it's wrong. (Caveat, in some instances, I make my kids do the poses. I'm old and I consider it my parental priviledge. Lol.)

I agree with FeralFey. That’s a really good question.

Er… before I completely confuse people, my name on the forums is Mary, but my PA name/store name is Quixotry. cheeky

It’s probably not so much about the figures as it is about time for some of us. At least, time is a huge factor for me. 3D is my hobby so I only get to work on pose sets in the evenings after I’m done with work. You know: “Sorry, you can’t play until your homework is finished!” 

I’m sure it’s a little bit different for every PA. We probably all work at different speeds and put in different hours. 

Interestingly enough, I find Genesis 3 figures faster and easier to pose than Genesis 2, but I have no idea why that seems to be the case for me. I plan to work with Genesis 2 some more and have a list of ideas for sets that I will eventually get through. I only discovered Daz Studio a few months before Genesis 2 arrived, so I’ve honestly never done anything with the V4/M4 generation. As far as joints go, in comparing Genesis 2 with Genesis 3, the only limiting factor I’ve noticed in G2 is the way the torso and neck are jointed. G3 has a more fluid range of movement there and I find that appealing to work with. My goal for every pose is for it to be realistic, so I do try not to rush through them or settle for anything looking "close enough." If G3 is bending in a way that I'd find painful myself, I can't bring myself to make her do it. Lol. (Well, maybe if they were gymnastics poses. I know I'm not flexible enough to do those without hurting myself.)

(Heh, FeralFey, do you ever just need to borrow a right or left hand from someone? My folks are always getting dragged into my office so I can use their hands as models and see how real people’s fingers bend. lol)

Post edited by Quixotry on
  • SkyewolfSkyewolf Posts: 473
    edited January 2017

I'm going to weigh in here and agree with FeralFey. I, personally, try to start with some sort of real life model and go from there. To be fair just because of the way 3D models work there are a few poses that look amazing on a real model that you just can't pull off with 3D due to the way skin and body fat compress on a real person. In these cases you get body parts that intersect rather than compress. I can't tell you how many poses I've spent literally hours on trying to repilicate that, in the end, I just end up scrapping because one thigh is sunk two inches into the other one.

Coming back after a 5 year hiatus and using Studio exclusively I can say that the absence of good IK, (or at least IK the way it works in Poser) makes it a little more difficult (but not impossible) to get properly weighted poses in my opinion. And if it's not weighted properly it does have an impact on realism.

And Feral & Mary...the BF is not used to my process yet LOL I can't tell you how many times I hear "What are you doing?" from behind me in the office doorway when I'm trying to work out which joint bends or twists to give a particular angle :D.

I tend to go with fantasy type sets but do have a few ideas coming up that are more "every day".

Post edited by Skyewolf on
  • FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,553

I love pinup poses and check them out whenever I see them in the store, but there are many that are just unrealistic. Having worked in the adult entrtainment industry and being around models quite a bit I see poses in sets that real world girls would have a hard time getting into, LOL 

JQP said:

Agreed, I have plenty of high def weapons, but proper, non fantasy military/tactical poses are hard to come by.

Llynara said:

Has anyone done any outlaw pose sets? Cowboys? Jesse James? That kind of stuff? Something like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Wyatt Earp, or those wonderful John Wayne Westerns. Would love to see some good Mexican standoff poses. You could call it "I Shot the Sheriff." LOL

I would love that, but we need actual clothes/gunbelts and weapons for western scenes first. I created a western town setting the other day with the intent of creating some western scenes and even with my best kitbashing skills on old content, it still didn't look good enough.

FeralFey said:

Bummer, as fantasy sword poses are my main go to for pose buying. Keep in mind that a vocal minority isn't speaking for what everyone wants, but I do appreciate you listening to what is being said here and look forward to any new pose packs..I would like to see more like your A Quiet Repose set as I do lots of crime scene and warzone image work and finding good dead and wounded poses is hard. I do have your bring out your dead and to the rescue wishlisted.

Oh, I'm not saying that I don't like fantasy swords or the like. I just think the poses that have been done for them aren't very realistic. At some point, I'll do some fantasy sword poses (as well as some real life sword poses), but at the moment my build schedule is a little full. 

• xyer0xyer0 Posts: 5,677

My favourite pose sets have already been named here. However, around four or five months ago I was going through numerous pose sets for Genesis 3 Male, and I discovered that most of them were not very masculine. The hands and hips were effeminate, and it was ruining the effect I was trying to achieve. I then started going through the store looking at every pose product page, and this was when I stumbled upon Val3dart's pose sets for men. They are masculine and natural (not silent film / Hong Kong overacting like some pose sets). Of course, the next day their store went on sale, and I was able to get several sets at an average price of $4.50 each.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560

I confess to a liking of 'people in jeapordy' poses. Rescue poses, paramedic, cliff-hanger poses, firefighter... I like it all. 

I don't intentionally buy pinup.. about 80 percent of my poses are pinup, and I'm good with that. To each his own, but pinup is well represented in my runtime.

Could always use more action poses. Like running poses, jumping, climbing, bankrobbery etc. I  was looking for a climbing a ladder pose for gen 3 and came up with nothing. I will have to make one. 

• nonesuch00nonesuch00 Posts: 17,926

I have a question, which is not meant to offend anyone (PA, or amture enthusiast. et all) I have recently been revisiting V4.2, and G2F, and their poses. Granted, each of these generations had more limits to their flexability, that G3, however To my eye (once again, stricktly my opinion) the pose sets sold for these previous figures, on the whole, seemed to have a more natural, and intricate REAL feeling to them than most of what I haveseen since G3 arrrived on the scene. They also seemed to havemore of a variety of actions and themes. Most of what I see for G3 is either fantasy sword, gun,staff poses, or cheesecake sets with thrusty hips and come hither coyness. It also seems that the poses lack a certain realism that the older sets had, battle, and coy included. Is G3F for all her touted wonderful new joints, and meshes, simply more stiff, and difficult to posethan her predecessors, or is the sameness in most pose sets just easier to crank out? This is a genuine question, not a slam to anyone. I couldn' pose my way out of a wet paper bag with any generation of figures. And before it's mentioned I have both versions of pose conversion software, and the poses lose their lifelike ( not to mention reproduction) in the translation. So id it the figures? Many thanks for any responses.

It's math: M4 + V4 + Genesis + Genesis 2 Female + Genesis 2 Male is more years and products. As far as to seeming more real, well they all still seem fake to me. I find the exaggerated emotions of cartoon characters more convincing than most of the facial expressions on any generation of DAZ models so looking more real mathematically isn't necessarily the key to communicating to the viewer what your intent is when you create a render or animation.

xyer0 said:

My favourite pose sets have already been named here. However, around four or five months ago I was going through numerous pose sets for Genesis 3 Male, and I discovered that most of them were not very masculine. The hands and hips were effeminate, and it was ruining the effect I was trying to achieve. I then started going through the store looking at every pose product page, and this was when I stumbled upon Val3dart's pose sets for men. They are masculine and natural (not silent film / Hong Kong overacting like some pose sets). Of course, the next day their store went on sale, and I was able to get several sets at an average price of $4.50 each.

Sadly, I find G3M to be on the effeminate side just standing still so.....