Look at my Hair: official thread [Commercial] RELEASED!

Comments

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

is there going to be a render thread?

I'm working on one just for you Wendy !!!
    Woohoo! It's a wombat...
  • Alessandro MastronardiAlessandro Mastronardi Posts: 2,593
    edited December 2012

Mari-Anne said:
    Jaderail said:
    Well I have only one thing to say about LAMH. Hot Dang I like this thing.

How about some tips for counts on the Different sized figures from you folks in the know.
    I have many critters to Fur up, Ranging from Human sized or a bit bigger to rabbits. Any thing to cut done on my tweaking as I go will be a BIG help. Thanks in advanced.

I'd like to second that. Great idea, 'cause correct me if I'm wrong, I think we still have to specify the count even when we apply one of the presets from Alessandro's site??

That's my bad: the first presets I made, I didn't, dumb me, save the hair count. In latest ones, such as the MS Lycana and Gorilla, I remembered.

A human head has an average of 120000 hair. For a critter fully covered with fur, I'd say you need to use 2 or 3 million curves (32bit systems might be in trouble with that amount of data).
    I'm preparing a chart, which will be published on LAMH's blog (www.furrythings.com), with a list of hair parameters (count and widths) for most common models/species.

A quick, silly suggestion: try first your render without lighting, so that you can quickly see if the scene is setup as you want, and if hair look the way are supposed to. Then, when you are ready, add and setup the lights and run the final render.

Post edited by Alessandro Mastronardi on
    edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Yay Specular shine.. took a bit but I got it to show up..

needed to change specular color so it didn't have an image map, then tweak specular strength and roughness

Nice render Rareth.

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Rareth said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    JOdel said:
    Okay, that feeds right into my question: how do you apply the presets? I've installed and activated, adn it seems to be behaving itself. But although I downloaded most of the presets for animal fur, there don't seem to be any instructions for applying them. There isn't anything in the interface which referred to or obviously related to presets.

The manual doesn't get into that, either. Needs an addenda which does, since I gather that quite a few people are likely to be building and distributing presets for different models before much longer.

Which brings up my 2nd question. Where do we store the presets? Anywhere we please and just point the plugin at them, or do they need to be in a specific place.

#1) Presets are loaded using the 2nd icon from the right at the top. It looks like a file folder.

#2) Presets can be uploaded to the blog.

Kendall

There must be some other steps in between step 1 and the export step?? When I load the MilCat Long fur preset and export, I get a very scrawny looking kitty. What might I be doing wrong?

what hair count setting are you exporting the preset with? humans average 120,000 hairs just for the head..

Ahh, Rareth - much better. This time I tried 120,000 and it's much better. I thought I should just leave the preset settings alone, but realize that I do need to change them. Just goes to prove that the earlier request for people to share their counts is a very appropriate one. Thank you for steering me in the right direction.

My bad: as I wrote somewhere else, the first presets I saved I forgot to enter the total hair count. I'll resave those presets again so that they will work out of the box.

edited December 1969

Rareth said:
    Critters, I dunno about critters, but I am having fun putting hair on people

Nice model Rareth: you might try (just a suggestion) to randomize roots and use density maps on the beard so that it looks more uneven :)

edited December 1969

smoke14 said:
    Hey Alessandro, I really want to thank you for this plugin. I'm just starting to try it out and so far its awesome. Just wanted to show a pic I did of the MilCat with the long hair preset. It is amazing the difference it makes to have the cat to have "real" fur. I'm really looking forward to seeing just what I can do with LAMH.

Oh wow what a great render, I have to thank you. Besides the cat fur, I love all the composition. Would you allow me to publish this render in LAMH galleries?

edited December 1969

sedor said:
    *asks quietly how long the sale price will stay* :P

4 weeks sedor!

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Okay, that feeds right into my question: how do you apply the presets? I've installed and activated, adn it seems to be behaving itself. But although I downloaded most of the presets for animal fur, there don't seem to be any instructions for applying them. There isn't anything in the interface which referred to or obviously related to presets.

The manual doesn't get into that, either. Needs an addenda which does, since I gather that quite a few people are likely to be building and distributing presets for different models before much longer.

Which brings up my 2nd question. Where do we store the presets? Anywhere we please and just point the plugin at them, or do they need to be in a specific place.

Jodel, sorry if the manual is not very clear on this. To apply a preset for the Millennium Cat, to make an example, you need to load it in Studio, start LAMH and load a preset designed for it. In a few seconds the furred Cat will appear in LAMH.

You can save the presets any folder you like. If you create some that you'd like to share with other users, you just need to zip the .lmh file and send it to me. I'll publish it and give you the right credints on LAMH presets page.

edited December 1969

JOdel said:
    Well, I'm overloading the system and seeing how that turns out. So far it appears to be doing what I want. But it's one hour in, and probably going to take another to finish rendering, and will take most of that to get down far enough to see how it will handle the face and head. I don't know whether I'll ever be able to render a long-haired cat with anything else in the scene, but I do appear to be getting a long-haired cat.

Unforthunately, I suspect rendering a short-haired cat will require a whole different procedure, but we'll see.

When handling a large amount of hair, I usually do a quick render without lighting in order to see if the camera and the whole scene is setup as I like. After that I add and setup the lights, and go for the render.

Besides having also a short fur preset for the Mil Cat and the Big Mil Cat, you can easily increase/decrease hair length using the length slider available in LAMH, and export the hair again. Tell me if it helps...

• 3CPO3CPO Posts: 156
    edited December 1969

Merry Christmas to all!
    I was wondering where I could find the grizzly bear cub model as it looks really cute in the rendered gallery…and maybe Alessandro would like to share the fur preset for it too.
    Many thanks for the great product.

• smoke14smoke14 Posts: 245
    edited December 1969

Yeah, Alessandro, you can use it in the LAMH gallery. Glad you like the render :)

edited December 1969

3CPO said:
    Merry Christmas to all!
    I was wondering where I could find the grizzly bear cub model as it looks really cute in the rendered gallery…and maybe Alessandro would like to share the fur preset for it too.
    Many thanks for the great product.

Hi 3CPO, I "cheated" on the bear cub meaning that I took my Ursus Arctos, scaled it down, created some morphs in ZBrush and furred it.
    This is to say that it's a model that is not available but I that I had many requests.
    I'll see what I can do during these days, once the LAMH video tutorials are online...

edited December 2012

Of course I'd like to share all the best renders you guys come up with, if I have the permission to do it.
    So besides those already available here, if you have some please tell me and I'll add those with your credits to LAMH galleries :)

• 3dLux3dLux Posts: 1,225
    edited December 1969

I couldn't stand it any longer and got LAMH :cheese:

Apologies if this question has been asked before :red: The human examples on LMAH site are the Genesis figures. Since I'm a Luddite and am using V4 & M4, do I have to use Genesis with the V4/M4 morphs? I had them loaded in Daz 4.0 and know that I have to reload them for 4.5. I also haven't quite figured how to transfer the V4/M4 morphs to Genesis although I did get the plug-ins for that very purpose :P

edited December 1969

I couldn't stand it any longer and got LAMH :cheese:

Apologies if this question has been asked before :red: The human examples on LMAH site are the Genesis figures. Since I'm a Luddite and am using V4 & M4, do I have to use Genesis with the V4/M4 morphs? I had them loaded in Daz 4.0 and know that I have to reload them for 4.5. I also haven't quite figured how to transfer the V4/M4 morphs to Genesis although I did get the plug-ins for that very purpose :P

Hi, I confess my ignorance in this (because I never used much V4/M4) but I assume that their base mesh is different from Genesis, so I suppose the quickest way is to use V4/M4 morphs for Genesis.
    I'll see, time allowing if I or some friends are able to produce some V4/M4 based presets.

edited December 2012

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick response, Alessandro :cheese:

I was in no hurry to switch over to Genesis, but the loverable Llamas and YT5 (the first pro bundle I've ever gotten) convinced me to at least start using it :-)

Am in no hurry for the pre-sets; it's the Yule season and I live in a country where the Christmas season starts the day after All Souls and ends on 3 Kings :lol:

Post edited by 3dLux on
    edited December 1969

Wow! Thank you so much for the quick response, Alessandro :cheese:

I was in no hurry to switch over to Genesis, but the loverable Llamas and YT5 (the first pro bundle I've ever gotten) convinced me to at least start using it :-)

Am in no hurry for the pre-sets; it's the Yule season and I live in a country where the Christmas season starts the day after All Souls and ends on 3 Kings :lol:

Oh my now you made me curious, what country is that? :)

edited December 2012

The Philippines :-)

The unofficial Yule season starts with the "-ber" months but last year a friend told me she heard Christmas carols as early as August :lol:

I've never heard them earlier than September, personally :cheese:

Post edited by 3dLux on
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Curious about the MS Lycan setup. Is that the original one that's sold at Content Paradise or is it the MS Genesis Lycan?

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:
    Curious about the MS Lycan setup. Is that the original one that's sold at Content Paradise or is it the MS Genesis Lycan?
    Genesis, I just used it.
  • RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,142
    edited December 1969

Good to know. Thanks so much for the fast response!

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Jaderail said:

How about some tips for counts on the Different sized figures from you folks in the know.
    I have many critters to Fur up, Ranging from Human sized or a bit bigger to rabbits. Any thing to cut done on my tweaking as I go will be a BIG help. Thanks in advanced.

I'd like to second that. Great idea, 'cause correct me if I'm wrong, I think we still have to specify the count even when we apply one of the presets from Alessandro's site??

That's my bad: the first presets I made, I didn't, dumb me, save the hair count. In latest ones, such as the MS Lycana and Gorilla, I remembered.

A human head has an average of 120000 hair. For a critter fully covered with fur, I'd say you need to use 2 or 3 million curves (32bit systems might be in trouble with that amount of data).
    I'm preparing a chart, which will be published on LAMH's blog (www.furrythings.com), with a list of hair parameters (count and widths) for most common models/species.

A quick, silly suggestion: try first your render without lighting, so that you can quickly see if the scene is setup as you want, and if hair look the way are supposed to. Then, when you are ready, add and setup the lights and run the final render.

That's quite OK, Alessandro. You're forgiven! You make up for it with your incredibly quick responses. I can't believe how fast you get back to us even though this must be a super busy time for you!!

edited December 1969

RAMWolff said:

Hi Richard, it's MS Genesis Lycan

edited December 1969

Mari-Anne said:
    Mari-Anne said:
    Jaderail said:

That's quite OK, Alessandro. You're forgiven! You make up for it with your incredibly quick responses. I can't believe how fast you get back to us even though this must be a super busy time for you!!

What do you think, I've years of experience in multi-tasking duties :)

• GranvilleGranville Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Can any one help me? When I render the hair. (Save as renderman curves), the strands are thin and sparse. I am unable to achieve the results as in the demo pics. I am obviously doing something wrong. Any ideas?

lycans_test.png
    500 x 312 - 74K
    edited December 2012

Can any one help me? When I render the hair. (Save as renderman curves), the strands are thin and sparse. I am unable to achieve the results as in the demo pics. I am obviously doing something wrong. Any ideas?

Hi ParisGranville,

when you export the hair, try to set the hair count at 500000 or even more. That will produce a more dense fur cover.

Also, the longer fur preset for Lycan (available here: http://www.furrythings.com/presets_depot/MS-Lycan-longerFur.zip ) use thicker hair (you can change root/tip width in the material setup window, manual page 16.

EDIT: dumb me, you are not using the MS Lycan, ops.

Anyway, as I wrote above, open the material setup window, and try to set hair root width at 350, and tip width at 200 (see attached image). That will do...

matsetup.jpg
    1326 x 1096 - 239K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

Oh!! Oh!! I is sooooo happy !! Here's my first try with LAMH I am in love!! So AA are ya married? heeeeheeeh sorry couldn't help myself this is great!!

First_try_LAMH_furry_kitty.png
    615 x 534 - 408K
  • JOdelJOdel Posts: 6,246
    edited December 1969

Like I say, I don't know whether I'll ever be able to render a scene with anything but the cat in it, but I can render a long-haired cat. It probably took something like 4-5 hours, but I went to bed after 3 and just left the computer chewing on it.

I exported it with 1,000,000 folicles, and could still see the model inside it. So I exported another with 500,000 and let the model wear them both. Then got a bright idea (which may not be bright at all, but seems to have worked) of selecting the original figure, going into the surfaces tab, selecting the "fur" matt zone, and changing the ambient color practically to white, and lowering the opacity to about 75%.

Question: why is there an inner ear zone for the hair? I turned it off on both exports, but is it a blend zone at just the edge and should be left on?

Cat-1.jpg
    450 x 432 - 108K
  • carrie58carrie58 Posts: 3,949
    edited December 1969

That looks wonderful JOdel .

• Mari-AnneMari-Anne Posts: 363
    edited December 1969

I love your kitty too, JOdel - and I really appreciate you sharing your settings!

This discussion has been closed.