Daz Studio 4.9.3 Pro, General Release!

Comments

• MEC4D said:

It not really matter here as my size of the file was 2.7 MB as well , but the poly count was the same so morphs loaded without issues , different export option may change the file size as more info/data is added to the obj  with different options .

and all you need to pay attention to is poly count matching with the original base . 

Styxx said:

Genesis 3 will export at a higher mesh resolution than the usual 2498KB. Now its 2722KB even after restarting DS and PC.

The numeric precision used in OBJ export has increased, more digits makes for a bigger file without doing anything that will make it incompatible:

http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log_4_9_3_166#4_9_3_87

OBJ export now uses a precision of 8 instead of 6
  • MoussoMousso Posts: 237
    MEC4D said:

It not really matter here as my size of the file was 2.7 MB as well , but the poly count was the same so morphs loaded without issues , different export option may change the file size as more info/data is added to the obj  with different options .

and all you need to pay attention to is poly count matching with the original base . 

Styxx said:

Genesis 3 will export at a higher mesh resolution than the usual 2498KB. Now its 2722KB even after restarting DS and PC.

Maybe thats it. I didnt think the update would change my settings so I didnt check my export options O.O Going to try this tomorrow on my other PC since I left the new DS on it. 

Thank you Cath and Richard for helping :)

• MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249

You welcome , maybe DS exporter was changed to fix some issue ending with little extra data than before  .. but exported obj are OK and load as morphs without issues  100% 

Styxx said:
    MEC4D said:

Styxx said:

Maybe thats it. I didnt think the update would change my settings so I didnt check my export options O.O Going to try this tomorrow on my other PC since I left the new DS on it. 

Thank you Cath and Richard for helping :)

• TheKDTheKD Posts: 2,666

Anyone else rendered any with LAMH fur yet? It seems to be very slow now for me, this is after almost 3 hours rendering. Normally rendering the wolf is done in two hours.

fur.jpg
    184 x 194 - 51K

Wow, left it going all night, even after 10 hours, it still looks exactly the same. Hmmmm.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    TheKD said:

Anyone else rendered any with LAMH fur yet? It seems to be very slow now for me, this is after almost 3 hours rendering. Normally rendering the wolf is done in two hours.

I was thinking of picking up the wolf an LAMH since it's in Fast Grab right now.  Are you doing an Iray render?  I use 3Delight, but I also have a very powerful computer.  Wonder if it would make any difference.

Yep, it was Iray. I am trying again, with more fur this time, maybe will help, dunno yet.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

I am still not seeing the new Daz Studio in my DIM.  Do I need to open a ticket?

• Anyone know why I get this? DS4.9

Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 6.28.13 PM.png
    422 x 182 - 32K
  • stiks1954 said:

Anyone know why I get this? DS4.9

It usually appears when restarting DS too quickly or starting it quickly after shutting DIM down.

• MadbatMadbat Posts: 382
    stiks1954 said:

It usually appears when restarting DS too quickly or starting it quickly after shutting DIM down.

I've always got that error, I've never been able to connect, even after uninstalling and reinstalling daz and postgre. 

• DoctorJellybeanDoctorJellybean Posts: 7,812
    edited January 2017
    Madbat said:
    stiks1954 said:

I've always got that error, I've never been able to connect, even after uninstalling and reinstalling daz and postgre. 

What firewall\AV are you using?

Post edited by DoctorJellybean on
  • inquireinquire Posts: 2,087

Question: I'm still using 4.8 of DS, Mac version. If I go up to 4.9, do l have to stay logged in for the entire time I'm using DS? All my purchases have been completely downloaded. Can I just work off-line with those purchases?

• inquire said:

Question: I'm still using 4.8 of DS, Mac version. If I go up to 4.9, do l have to stay logged in for the entire time I'm using DS? All my purchases have been completely downloaded. Can I just work off-line with those purchases?

Yes, you can work off-line.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    inquire said:

Yes, you can work offline — the only time you must be logged in (apart from when you're downloading new content with Connect or DIM) is when you're verifying your account, which only needs to be done once, right after you install or update D|S. Note that you only need to verify if you're using Connect; it's not needed for manual or DIM installation.

I've heard that DS version 4.9 puts a new Library in Documents (I'm on a Macintosh). I already have, from an earlier version of DS, "My Library" in Documents. I also have "My DAZ 3D Library" in the Shared folder, which I think started with version 4.8 of DS. Anyway, will this create a problem if there's another Library of files, of whatever name, back in the Documents folder?

• inquire said:

I've heard that DS version 4.9 puts a new Library in Documents (I'm on a Macintosh). I already have, from an earlier version of DS, "My Library" in Documents. I also have "My DAZ 3D Library" in the Shared folder, which I think started with version 4.8 of DS. Anyway, will this create a problem if there's another Library of files, of whatever name, back in the Documents folder?

The My Connect Data folder is the default for items isntalled with Connect. As with any content directory, you can use a different location if you wish (though you can have only one Connect directory at a time - files in an old one will be laoded as long as the folder is also set as a regular content diectory). Having multiple content directories is fine as long as one isn't inside another.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281
    edited January 2017

edit: ok, uninstalled and reinstalled DIM and it finally worked. Head scratching over that, but it's working now anyway. 

I'm trying to download the new version via DIM....but dim isn't working for some reason. I go to product library, go the daz studio page, and click the green "download and install" button next to the DS win 64bit one, so it will open DIM and show it there. 

My DIM is just ......doing nothing. It's been like this for a good 20 minutes. 

DIM.jpg
    800 x 466 - 93K
    Post edited by jakiblue on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 13,060
    inquire said:

Having multiple content directories is fine as long as one isn't inside another.

Have they fixed all the products that actually do that yet?  I don't know how they ever got past quality testing like that.

Dana

So. New version installed. Drivers updated and installed. 

WHAT is causing the lines on this???? Never had them before. 

lines.jpg
    800 x 1200 - 777K
  • MasterstrokeMasterstroke Posts: 1,750
    jakiblue said:

Maybe the optx acceleration in the render settings. There is still something wrong with it. Uncheck it and try again.

• DanaTA said:
    inquire said:

Having multiple content directories is fine as long as one isn't inside another.

Have they fixed all the products that actually do that yet?  I don't know how they ever got past quality testing like that.

Dana

Do what? The quotes didn't have anything to do with content issues.

DanaTA said:
    inquire said:

Dana

Do what? The quotes didn't have anything to do with content issues.

Content directory inside another content directory...that is definitely in that quote.

Dana

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

Which products do that Dana?

Do you mean "OptiX Prime Acceleration" box in the 'advanced' section? It wasn't checked.  

jakiblue said:

Maybe the optx acceleration in the render settings. There is still something wrong with it. Uncheck it and try again.

Khory said:

Which products do that Dana?

I haven't worked with this stuff in a long time, actually.  I can't remember which ones I came across.  But I do remember thinking that it was surprising to still see it happen, maybe about a year ago or so.  My life has been kind of crazy over the past year.  No renders in quite a while.  I just fired up the DIM a couple weeks ago for the first time in quite a few months.  I just know that there were items that had the content within content and wondered if these were all fixed by now or not.  I know a lot of work has been done to older products over the past year or two.

Dana

Ostadan said:

Killed all those postgres/cms processes by hand from Mac command line, and tried again.  It worked this time.

So, is this a problem for the Macintosh? I, too, am a Mac user. By the "command line," do you mean by using Terminal? Sigh! I'm hesitating to upgrade because of problems like these.

jdfox said:
    AndyS said:

DAZ 4.9.3 Pro General Release not available for update via DIM?

It is. Please make sure that the following Download Filters are checked in DIM:

Software
    Windows 32\64 or Mac 32\64 depending on your OS

Also check Connect Installed as it works for some.

When I downloaded it - it was still 4.9.2.70!!

There's still too many mixups for me to try and download this, at this time. I'm not trying to be negative, but, DAZ, please make it simpler to get a new version. Why should anyone have to go through all this worry and turmoil. Besides this, I don't like all the behind-the-scenes stuff that has to do with computers. I love doing graphic art. I can't be the only one who wants an application that works and that doesn't require a background in computer expertiese. 

mjc1016 said:
    AndyS said:
    mjc1016 said:
    There is no update installer...it's a full version installer and is the same thing whether it's manually downloaded or DIM does it.

For the previous relaeses it ever appeared under the UPDATE section.

That may be...but there was and is no difference between what it downloads...there is only one installer.  Daz doesn't do patch/incremental updates.  It's always the full version.

Yes, but is it the full version that you want? Is 4.9.2.70 the same version as 4.9.3?

"If you have a previous version of DAZ Studio 4, then we STRONGLY recommend that you uninstall that version prior to installing the latest version of DAZ Studio 4."

This is from 2012, but apparently still active advice?

If my memory is serving me correctly, that was before DIM. DIM automatically uninstalls before installing.

Thanks, but it remains foggy outside the house of DIM.

I'm giving up on this. In trying (and failing) to find out how to manually move from 4.9.2.70 to 4.9.3.166, I've read enough to see that this general release is still really a beta. Perhaps DAZ thinks so too, as the front page links to the previous version.

I did get to manually update my video drivers, though, which was useful. Nvidia made it ever so easy. Here is the file you need. Here are the instructions on what do with it.

But not here. No, this is DAZ.

Suggestion:  It would be very nice of DAZ if, after updating to a newer version, the user were able to choose, in the DIM, "Return to the Previous Version." Would that it impossible for DAZ to accomplish? It would certainly make it a lot easier for someone like myself.