Llynara's Loony Bin (WIP Thread)

Comments

• lol, I know the feeling of lack of time, trust me.  Thank you, too.  I do appreciate that.  I will do a second LIE set-the first sold more than I thought they would so I think it'll be something I'll continue to do.  I wanna do a just plain art render, but atm I'm letting Sol bake in a render.  Again.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited January 2017

Glad to hear your LIE tattoos sold well. And yes, you've got to take a break and have fun sometimes.

I've been having too much fun and actually need to get back to work renders at some point, but playing has helped a lot. Everything I'm learning helps. And now I've got Iain to fill a big gap in my cast of characters, in both series. That's huge progress, as I've been working on bringing many of these characters to life for over a year now. Some still aren't there yet.

One of the renders I want to do this week is a rough draft of my next Midwest book cover, which Iain will be on. The story is called "Wilde in the Heart" and has a special connection to my favorite writer, Oscar Wilde. The book is dedicated to him and begins with the quote in my signature. I wish I could've met him. Love his humor, his wit and his fearlessness at being who he was.

Post edited by Llynara on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Yeah... a darker set with some emissive light from the fairy lighting up the male's face would kick up the drama a notch. It is more work for you, but I think it is worth it! :) 

I have Krayon Hair, and yeah, it is another one I always find to be a hassle with fit and render - but usually I figure that has more to do with my skill than the PA. :) 

Here is one I did today... it isn't anything special, except that I made the art-horse, the drawing board, the board clips and the piece of paper myself in Carrara and imported it into DAZ. I'm not happy with the quality of the render. I'm using a single HDRI and it just looks very flat and CGI. I've been having a lot of fun with darker ambient outside lights and most of the character lighting coming from a nearby emissive, lately. I always have trouble with this room prop, too. It bogs down my machines and doesn't seem to have a lot of complex textures or surfaces.

You may have more work a head of you - but at least you know what to do to make your render better! :)

Oh, the image on the paper, I drew myself, paper and charcoal. 

I think this is a great start and I really like that you used a piece of art that you made yourself.  nice job on the modelling by the way.  Part of the reason it looks so flat is that the room is too empty.  It needs everyday stuff in it.  Potted plants, chairs, a trash can, clutter whatever you would find in the type of room she is in. That will give it a bit more depth as well so it doesn't look so flat.

•   I think this is a great start and I really like that you used a piece of art that you made yourself.  nice job on the modelling by the way.  Part of the reason it looks so flat is that the room is too empty.  It needs everyday stuff in it.  Potted plants, chairs, a trash can, clutter whatever you would find in the type of room she is in. That will give it a bit more depth as well so it doesn't look so flat.

Thanks for the input! I agree. I did a second draft with David 5 from a different angle and I added an instructor's desk and chair in the background and added DOF to the camera - and that alone made a huge difference. Now I think I'm going to redo the setting completely and use Old Industrial Interior by Imaginary House for the set instead. It actually has a much more "artist studio" feel to it. I didn't spend a lot of time on scene setup because I was excited to see how the bench would look.

I bought a few hundred dollars of content between Thanksgiving and the New Years, and the first render I really dig into after all the sales settle focuses on content I created myself! Doh! 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I think this is a great start and I really like that you used a piece of art that you made yourself.  nice job on the modelling by the way.  Part of the reason it looks so flat is that the room is too empty.  It needs everyday stuff in it.  Potted plants, chairs, a trash can, clutter whatever you would find in the type of room she is in. That will give it a bit more depth as well so it doesn't look so flat.

Thanks for the input! I agree. I did a second draft with David 5 from a different angle and I added an instructor's desk and chair in the background and added DOF to the camera - and that alone made a huge difference. Now I think I'm going to redo the setting completely and use Old Industrial Interior by Imaginary House for the set instead. It actually has a much more "artist studio" feel to it. I didn't spend a lot of time on scene setup because I was excited to see how the bench would look.

I bought a few hundred dollars of content between Thanksgiving and the New Years, and the first render I really dig into after all the sales settle focuses on content I created myself! Doh! 

Lol that seems to always be the way it works!

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    Llynara said:

Now for some render fun: 

I found this hunkydunk by accident on a site called "yurdigital.com." They have a nice store aimed mostly at Poser users. This is "Bleid, the Elvin Mage for M4." I thought his morphs, skin and tattoos were interesting and unique. (Click on the full pic in my gallery to get a better look at the tattoos.)

I love the white-haired fantasy people, always have. There's a long-lived race of them in one of my series. I just picked up Raw Art's Prince Albane and Princess Ali during his annual sale and need to render them too. They look like fun to work with.

Anyhow, I used the same DOF and background from my Ariadne picture, combined with the render settings from Darwin's walkthrough. I tried a lot of different lighting and none of the softer stuff worked with him. He's a dramatic character and seemed to need more dramatic lighting. This is Elianeck's HDRI Lighting set and the purple lights included in it. With all the tweaks in settings, I was able to render this in a half hour, which is really good for my card, the size of the picture and the quality of it. Slight postwork- background for the door, color tweaks, siggy.

Hey, Llynara ​-

I was poking around your thread and found this cool guy.  I love the white skinned characters (my main book character is one of them).  I may be tempted to buy him. 

I find the hint of warmth in the scalara very interesting. Very good monocrome render!

Yeah... a darker set with some emissive light from the fairy lighting up the male's face would kick up the drama a notch. It is more work for you, but I think it is worth it! :) 

I have Krayon Hair, and yeah, it is another one I always find to be a hassle with fit and render - but usually I figure that has more to do with my skill than the PA. :) 

Here is one I did today... it isn't anything special, except that I made the art-horse, the drawing board, the board clips and the piece of paper myself in Carrara and imported it into DAZ. I'm not happy with the quality of the render. I'm using a single HDRI and it just looks very flat and CGI. I've been having a lot of fun with darker ambient outside lights and most of the character lighting coming from a nearby emissive, lately. I always have trouble with this room prop, too. It bogs down my machines and doesn't seem to have a lot of complex textures or surfaces.

You may have more work a head of you - but at least you know what to do to make your render better! :)

Oh, the image on the paper, I drew myself, paper and charcoal. 

Love the drawing!  How cool is it to include your 2D art in your 3D render?!

edited January 2017

Thanks! I really like how he turned out. The M4's still have it going on. Especially him. The Anagenesis shaders do wonders for them in Iray. I wish there was a version of his skin that was white or lighter. I may try making it that way, because I'd love to use him in my Black Kat series. He'd be perfect for my Elandri race that comes in later. Even his morphs are gorgeous. Might be worth trying a GenX2 with, though I really do like him as an M4. I just need to catalogue all my M4 stuff so I can find it. I had a heck of a time just finding some pants for the poor guy!

PS. His skin is supposed to change color under the light set he came with, I'm guessing that's in Poser only. I'll try that soon and post the results.

So I think I need to start justifying my purchases here by doing a render of everything I buy in my orders. That could be really funny, if I can get it all downloaded. Some of this stuff is HUGE and I'm on metered satellite internet.

Today's purchases included: 

Total spent: $43

Not sure how to fit all those in one render. Between the disco lights, extreme makeup, heavenly henna, optical flares and explosions, I might go blind trying! 

• That could be an interesting image if you managed to get all of the in.  That's one good thing about the RRR contest.  It is a way to start using stuff you never have before.  I keep thinking I'm going to work on my list for the random number generator so I can participate but that always gets put down to the bottom of my list of things to do.

Me too, because I'm always adding to that list with new orders. I think we need a "Random Order" contest, where we randomly pick one of our DAZ orders and try to render everything in it. Some of those could get hairy though. I know when things get down to .30 or .40, I might have 100 items on an order. I've picked up a lot of older sets and M4/V4 stuff that way. The problem is knowing what the heck I bought later. Hence, the need to organize!

• Llynara said:

Glad to hear your LIE tattoos sold well. And yes, you've got to take a break and have fun sometimes.

I've been having too much fun and actually need to get back to work renders at some point, but playing has helped a lot. Everything I'm learning helps. And now I've got Iain to fill a big gap in my cast of characters, in both series. That's huge progress, as I've been working on bringing many of these characters to life for over a year now. Some still aren't there yet.

One of the renders I want to do this week is a rough draft of my next Midwest book cover, which Iain will be on. The story is called "Wilde in the Heart" and has a special connection to my favorite writer, Oscar Wilde. The book is dedicated to him and begins with the quote in my signature. I wish I could've met him. Love his humor, his wit and his fearlessness at being who he was.

I am definitely honored, then, thank you.  I admire Wilde as well for the exact same reasons. 

edited January 2017

See- we do have the same muses! LOL

I'd love your take on the book once I have a beta version ready. Won't be for a while- probably late spring at the earliest. I still need to finish the next superhero book and am running behind. Plus I want to get Wilde in the Heart right. It's a complicated but very funny book. I've never seen anyone do what I'm attempting, and it'll either be really good or really bad. But that's comedy- it's all about risk and putting yourself wayyy out there.

• Sure- and if you want I can share it with my s/o who used to edit books. ;)

That would be wonderful! Thank you! 

• Don't thank me yet-he has to agree.  lol  Which, he's sleeping so I'll bring it up to him this weekend when we're kicking around while it drops ice everywhere here.  Currently testing a render on Mari, so I'll be crashing soon.  Trying ot see about ideas on promos now.  Neverending!

Llynara said:

Me too, because I'm always adding to that list with new orders. I think we need a "Random Order" contest, where we randomly pick one of our DAZ orders and try to render everything in it. Some of those could get hairy though. I know when things get down to .30 or .40, I might have 100 items on an order. I've picked up a lot of older sets and M4/V4 stuff that way. The problem is knowing what the heck I bought later. Hence, the need to organize!

YEEOOW!  You are braver than I am!

... Can I use an order with just a couple of items...?

Don't thank me yet-he has to agree.  lol  Which, he's sleeping so I'll bring it up to him this weekend when we're kicking around while it drops ice everywhere here.  Currently testing a render on Mari, so I'll be crashing soon.  Trying ot see about ideas on promos now.  Neverending!

Creative minds never stop.  It would be a sad day when they do.

edited January 2017

Don't thank me yet-he has to agree.  lol  Which, he's sleeping so I'll bring it up to him this weekend when we're kicking around while it drops ice everywhere here.  Currently testing a render on Mari, so I'll be crashing soon.  Trying ot see about ideas on promos now.  Neverending!

No worries and no hurries. I have an editor lined up already, so if he wants to look at it for fun, that's great. Everyone's time is limited, so no hurt feelings here if he's too busy or not interested. And yeah, yucky weekend ahead. Many renders too me thinks. Trying to upload a pic and it's going waayyy slow. Will try again in a little bit.

dracorn said:
    Llynara said:

Sure! Might be fun to see what we come up with!

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    Llynara said:

Not quite the same,  but Totte invented Random Runtime Roulette  quite ages ago,  and it is still going on, got so popular he moved it from Members Only to The Commons, and now even gets Daz backing sometimes.

@Chohole - Thanks for the reminder, I need to check that one out. I saw the "Create Your Own Holiday" thread they had going. Those were really funny.

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604

I am an addict.  have to check it every day, to see what is going on.    I think it is one of the funniest things on the forums.   Totte tells me that in it's present form it is almost 5 years old. 

Oh wow! And it's comedy, so right up my alley. I will definitely jump in on that!

edited January 2017

Update on "Yes, we do!" (Iain and the Fairy)

I'm still not loving this. The lighting is just not there yet, so I tried postworking some of it. It'll end up being a combo of both render lighting and postwork, but it's not working so far. I don't like the background either. So far, the only thing I like are Iain and the Fairy! LOL

Yes we do _nighttime rough draft.jpg
    1500 x 1200 - 1M
    edited January 2017

Speaking of light, I'm thrilled to see @Marshian has another awesome product out! "Body of Light" is going to solve a lot of special effects issues I was trying to figure out in my superhero series, especially with the energy shifters, who glow and can see energy systems (chakras, meridians, etc.) of other people. This set is packed with all kinds of options! And there's rim lighting too. I love Marshian's Rim Light Rig for 3Delight , glad to see there's a rim light option in this set for Iray. Thank you, Marshian! 

EDIT: I might try this out on the fairy above too.

• MarshianMarshian Posts: 1,459
    edited January 2017

Llynara! So nice to wake up to this post. I started a commercial thread here: Body of Light [Commercial]

The thought in your signature "Be yourself" is in this product. I strived for something that was completely "me" and original. There are tons of products out there and this is getting more challenging.

My wife inspired this product a couple months ago after we bought our first home. Instead of picking back up on one of the dozens of projects I have in the works she said- Do something completely new. This is it.

Post edited by Marshian on
    edited January 2017

@Marshian - Your wife is brilliant, and so are you (lighting pun intended!) Thank you so much for your gorgeous and unique products. They are pretty much an instabuy for me these days. I just wish the clock would hurry up so I can go home and play with them! I am so excited!

dracorn said:
    Llynara said:

How about five products from a big order, or use a smaller one? I think five would work. The more, the better!

Marshian said:

Llynara! So nice to wake up to this post. I started a commercial thread here: Body of Light [Commercial]

The thought in your signature "Be yourself" is in this product. I strived for something that was completely "me" and original. There are tons of products out there and this is getting more challenging.

My wife inspired this product a couple months ago after we bought our first home. Instead of picking back up on one of the dozens of projects I have in the works she said- Do something completely new. This is it.

It is really cool, Marshian ​- I like the effects. 

edited January 2017

Ooh, Body of Light is very cool! This is my first render of it, with the chakra setting on Iain. Actual render time was very quick on my 2GB 750Ti. There are many other lighting options, all one click, super easy. I'll play more this weekend. 

Iain BOL 1.png
    1500 x 1433 - 491K