Ice Dragon Art WIP's

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Looks good DHandle!  I am not at my main computer (bad migraine, in bed with my laptop) so I can't do anything tonight but will give it a go as soon as I can. 

Diva, when you go into your Camera under DOF you might have to turn the box to visible.  Like I said it been hit or miss as far as being able to see it lol.  Whatever you do, don't click on the scene while you are in top view, for some reason it wipes out the box and i've never been able to get it to show again in the scene unless I save, close and restart the scene.  There are sliders that will make the box bigger, longer shorter etc so you can make the things in the front more visible or the things in the back more visible as well.

• KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Hi Sonja,

I'm looking for a mini tutorial of sorts on categorizing and I posted in Knittingmommy's thread thinking it was her but she says maybe you posted in one of the threads  how you did your categorizing.  I know it was back aways but I have been through your thread and don't find anything.  Do you recall doing anything of the sort?

edited January 2017

@kharma

Look on page 15.  I looked it up earlier and posted the page on KM's thread lol.  Its about half way down.If you have questions please ask, I will be happy to help. there are other bits and pieces scattered around.  I might go ahead and put together a mini tutorial all in one place, but probably won't get to it until this weekend.

Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Looks good DHandle!  I am not at my main computer (bad migraine, in bed with my laptop) so I can't do anything tonight but will give it a go as soon as I can. 

This much at least was amazingly simple.  I didn't have to be extremely creative or artistic, or even technically savvy to accomplich these adjustments.  I used free Photoshop grunge and scratches brushes that I found over on Deviant Art.  I changed the color slightly to something a little darker than the originaI.  I made a new layer, and put the scratches etc on that layer, and over top of the original texture. 

Then I saved the new texture file to a slightly different filename in the original folder.  When I loaded the model, the original texture file loaded.  I just went in and swapped it out for the one I made and Voila!

I think I also adjusted the min and max displacement values slightly.  Not sure if that actually made any difference.

Simple!

Other things might not be so simple though.  I can imagine that if I want to add some gouges to the shield, or nicks to the sword, I'm going to have to go into a modeling program like Cararra or 3DS Max and adjust the mesh.  Then I will probably have to make changes to the texture files too.

Fun..fun!

dHandle said:

This much at least was amazingly simple.  I didn't have to be extremely creative or artistic, or even technically savvy to accomplich these adjustments.  I used free Photoshop grunge and scratches brushes that I found over on Deviant Art.  I changed the color slightly to something a little darker than the originaI.  I made a new layer, and put the scratches etc on that layer, and over top of the original texture. 

Then I saved the new texture file to a slightly different filename in the original folder.  When I loaded the model, the original texture file loaded.  I just went in and swapped it out for the one I made and Voila!

I think I also adjusted the min and max displacement values slightly.  Not sure if that actually made any difference.

Simple!

Other things might not be so simple though.  I can imagine that if I want to add some gouges to the shield, or nicks to the sword, I'm going to have to go into a modeling program like Cararra or 3DS Max and adjust the mesh.  Then I will probably have to make changes to the texture files too.

Fun..fun!

Maybe, maybe not.  Its possible to give the illusion of deep scratches, nicks etc with a 2d program but it would be slightly more difficult.  I'm testing some textures for the kadis armour right now but am hoping to get to a bit of the grunging up tonight.

edited January 2017

Textures for Kadis Armor.  You guys are gonna love what Mario has done.

Icy Blue Kadis Armour.png
    988 x 1600 - 2M

@dhandle.  Which files did you use in Gimp?  When I load the texture file I am getting a teensy tiny little thumbnail.

I don't have Gimp; I used Photoshop CC.

The filename of the texture for the boots is: SMBootsTx.jpg

edited January 2017

Load the boots in Studio; select them in the scene tab; open the surfaces tab and look at the diffuse channel; click on it and select "browse"; copy and paste the link (in Internet Explorer this works) into Photoshop (should work in Gimp too)

Open the file to edit.  I think you must have been opening the thumbnail...

Capture.JPG
    1486 x 656 - 116K
    Capture2.JPG
    1866 x 774 - 186K
    Post edited by dHandle on

Okay thanks.  I have photoshop not gimp myself but I have a hard time remembering who uses what lol.

edited January 2017

I tried grunging up the shield.  This was easier because I had some tarnished and corrosion shaders.  I added tree bark shader to the inner part of the shield.  It still probably needs a few hack marks from blocking blows from an axe.

Wonder if I can add some runes to the shield....

After all, a Viking shield (it does look kinda like Viking motif, doesn't it?) should have Viking runes on it!

Shield01.jpg
    675 x 900 - 215K

I like it!  I forgot I don't have Ron's brushes loaded on my laptop so I've spent the lasy half an hour loading brushes lol.

I have quite a few of Ron's brushes, but I have also been collecting free brushes from all over. Can't have too many brushes!  smiley

edited January 2017

Rolf is a Viking, right?

He's pretty cool, as is.  Doesn't need to be grunged up at all. Actually, he's probably in dire need of his yearly bath...

Shield02.jpg
    900 x 506 - 378K

What a difference that make!  I did her over tunic in blood splatter, its rendering now.   Just a super quicky its really far more difficult to work on my laptop than on my pc so I will be working on the textureing this weekend (hopefully this horrible migraine will be gone and I can actually concentrate on something for longer than 2 minutes lol. I'm really excited about how easy this is to do. The possibilities are endless!

And you are absolutely correct, one can never have too many brushes.  I have a ton of free brushes from deviant art. I've got several hundred brush sets at least that I've collected over the last 3 or 4 years.  Ron's brushes are actually the only ones I have ever paid for lol.

edited January 2017

You've collected some of Wilmap's freebies, right?  Have you ever seen Eblank's texture sets for Wilmap's creations?  She does a fabulous job!  They both do!  I love that Wilmap's clothes are just normal clothing items for normal people; not what you see around here endlessly.  Skimpwear.

/gag

I may have to take a stab at doing a complete texture set for one of those outfits.  I think that's where Filter Forge will prove it's worth.

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333

Changed the Dragon a bit to show off the armour a bit better. No postowrk on this one just wanted to see what it looked like with a red dragon.

You know, I REALLY liked the dark dragon with the glowing eyes - it gave the render a sense of danger that isn't present in the more brightly lit one with the red dragon. 

@kharma

Look on page 15.  I looked it up earlier and posted the page on KM's thread lol.  Its about half way down.If you have questions please ask, I will be happy to help. there are other bits and pieces scattered around.  I might go ahead and put together a mini tutorial all in one place, but probably won't get to it until this weekend.

I read every post on page 15 and didn't come across it, so i don't know if just missed it or what but I didn't find anything about categorizing on that page. Maybe what I was looking for is in another thread?  I believe there was some screen shots of the ccategories along with how they were done.  Thanks for helping tho, I'll keep looking around in the threads, i was sure I bookmarked it at the time it was posted.

dracorn said:

Changed the Dragon a bit to show off the armour a bit better. No postowrk on this one just wanted to see what it looked like with a red dragon.

You know, I REALLY liked the dark dragon with the glowing eyes - it gave the render a sense of danger that isn't present in the more brightly lit one with the red dragon. 

Me too, but he said he needed some that were not postoworked as possible promos and the red makes the armour show better lol.  The darker one was mostly for fun and more my style of art when I want to go to the extra bit to make something more for art than testing or anything else.

THANK YOU!!  laugh That's exactly what I was looking for, if I'd only gone another page as I did go over pgs 16 and 17

• TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584
    wgdjohn said:

TangoAlpha,  by "Native Hair" I assume you mean Carrara's Dynamic Hair... correct?

Sonja,  That may explain why I had so many problems when switching from 3Delight setting up lights and later switched to Iray... even though I changed the light settings to illuminate properly... my renders were shaded from the opposite direction... most confusing... before I figured Iray lighting out I'd dove into Carrara again and never looked back.

Yes, dynamic hair.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780

I really love what you made with Strangefates armor! Lights and textures all look really nice no matter which setting you put it in, keep it up.

Kharma said:

THANK YOU!!  laugh That's exactly what I was looking for, if I'd only gone another page as I did go over pgs 16 and 17

Most welcome!  If you have any questions just ask, I'm in and out all day.

Linwelly said:

I really love what you made with Strangefates armor! Lights and textures all look really nice no matter which setting you put it in, keep it up.

Thank you!  The armour did most of the work lol.

• Geez, Sonja!  24 posts while I was off doing contest work!  I need to catch up tomorrow, though, not tonight!  The little I see with the textures looks good.  I'll try to play around with stuff tomorrow.  Right now my brain is mush.

I bet lol.  No rush this will probably be ongoing lol

Sonja, how did that render with blood splatters turn out?

edited January 2017

Interesting lol.  I had the template off slightly and it left a white line around the bottom.  Then I got sidetracked trying to see if I could make the edges ragged (something like a mask) but was not having much luck.  I finally fell asleep in the middle of it lol. will be working on it this weekend though off and on tomorrow for sure.

edited January 2017

Ok..well, I tried another test with the leather corset.  It was very plain and I tried to make it look a little more realistic.

Original Texture:

Corset_Original.jpg
    900 x 506 - 79K
This discussion has been closed.