DAZ 4.5 keeps crashing...help!

hookmanjoehookmanjoe Posts: 0
edited December 1969 in Daz Studio Discussion

Need help guys..please...........
I'm running DAZ 4.5 64bit...When I first installed it my registration wasn't working...Thanks to your help I "bought" the free version..got the 4.5 Registration #..It no longer asks.. The Smart Content wasn't working right either... Somehow I redid it from DAZ..refreshed it or something...forgot how but it works fine now.
NOW the problem is...DAZ 4.5 KEEPS ON CRASHING....When it was unregistered and content didn't work right, it never crashed...I can't work 10 minutes without the 'fatal error' message.
Antbody else have this problem? I sent email to DAZ with the error reports. To early to get reply yet. Tryed the official bug reporting site..still waiting for the reply email before I can become a member.

Think I read once about 'hardware accelerator' or something....It was working great...what happened?
Also, before this happened I noticed that the thumbnails stopped showing up on new renders. They show in the database. They show up now.
Love this program. Any help greatly appreciated.
joehook

Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

Well it all depends on what you are trying to do with it, as how much content you have loaded, how many huge resolution textures used and how much Ram you have. What OS are you running and it everything lke Drivers up to date?

I run a 32bit 3GB RAm Dual core Vista system and with DS4.5it cannot do as much as DS3A can do. DS4.5.1.6 generally crashes at render. :)

• fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,563
    edited December 1969

What are you doing when it crashes? Just adding the serial number wouldn't cause crashes, but this past Tuesday was Microsoft Patch Day, so it's possible a recent update is causing problems. What does Help > Troubleshooting > About Your Video Card say?

• hookmanjoehookmanjoe Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Everything is supported...8 lights-8 texture units 8192. Have Lenovo Quad core system. One heck of a machine. Even told the salesman how impressed I was at the speed in DAZ3D. Best machine I ever owned out of the box.
    I've been on iit for over 1/2 hour now..no crash! We'll see. Crashed a couple times this morning before I posted...maybe something got updated?
    I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks alot. Hook.

edited December 1969

I'm back guys. Worked great all day yesterday...today.,.SAME THING...CRASH! Allready crashed numerous times.

Get assorted error messages like this:

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\DzCore.dll" at 0033:00000000E70242C7, DzPropertyGroupHierarchyItem::getLabel()+135 byte(s)

What causes this ACCESS_VIOLATION??? I'm logged on as the Administrator. Still waiting on my 'ticket' from DAZ support. I added more errors to the ticket. Haven't installed anything new from when I first installed it. Can't do anything..even crashing on Render's now. Crashes on saves. Crashes whenever it feels like it. Have auto-update. All up to date. Auto driver updates turned on. ALL other programs on computer working perfect...just DAZ4.5!

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

Have auto-update. All up to date. Auto driver updates turned on. ALL other programs on computer working perfect...just DAZ4.5!

Still need specifics...what version of Windows? How much RAM?

And if you are getting your driver updates through Windows updates...then, there's one of your problems. What video card?

edited December 1969

This is what I got from the 'basic info'.
    Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1
    Intel Core i5-2320 CPU @ 3.00 GHz 3.00 GHz
    6.00 GB installed memory (RAM) 5.85 GB usable
    64 bit operating system

As I said..It was running fantastic a few days ago...ran great yesterday after a few morning crashes...
    What causes these ACCESS_VIOLATIONS I keep getting? Could it be the content manager which now seems to be working as it should.
    I'm not a tech guy..still waiting to hear from DAZ tech...I can't remember changing anything..maybe the auto updates are affecting it somehow. Very frustrating. Thanks guys..any suggestions appreciated.

12-17-2012 2:57pm
    Did it as I clicked on 'new' file.

DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtCore4.dll" at 0033:00000000596D36E7, QString::~QString()+7 byte(s)

12-17-2012 4:10pm---just crashed doing nothing.
    DAZStudio.exe caused ACCESS_VIOLATION in module "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\QtGui4.dll" at 0033:000000006963E0ED, QPixmapCache::Key::~Key()+8605 byte(s)

edited December 1969

Still need info on video card...

Two common causes of these kinds of errors, in general...bad drivers/bad RAM

edited December 1969

Hope this is what you want. All I can find for graphics in Device Manager. . Thought it was Nvidea.

Intel HD Graphics
    Driver Date 9/26/12
    Driver Version 9.17.10.2867
    Digital Signer Microsoft Windows Compatability Publisher

then it shows the boxes
    Driver Details
    Update Driver
    Roll Back Driver
    Disable
    Uninstall
    Should I try updating the driver maybe? Don't want to mess with stuff I don't know.
    Thanks again.

edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    Still need info on video card...

Two common causes of these kinds of errors, in general...bad drivers/bad RAM

and Intel Graphics cards especially onboard. Well it used to be a problem so I am wondering if it still is.
    edited December 1969

I'd install a different video card IF I knew that was the problem but like I said before..It all seemed to start when I "bought the program and registered it". Content manager wasn't even working right. I didn't mind that. Ran it for weeks unregistered with absolutely no problems. I know it's probably coincidence.
    Put my 'ticket' into DAZ tech on the 15th..still no answer. I go to the "bug" sign in. Signed up twice..Never get confirmation email back.

Hard to believe I seem to be the only one that gets consistent crashes/ fatal errors with all the different video cards / computers running this program...one more time.....it was working great for weeks.. Everything else on computer working fine. Watch movies, video, etc..only this one. STILL WAITING on DAZ tech to get back to me.
    Thanks guys

edited December 1969

Is there a way to TURN OFF 'Content Management Service' ? I'm wondering if it's conflicting with something.

Don't know if I mentioned this, but before all the crashes started DAZ stopped producing the thumbnails for new renders. They were in the 'scenes' directory but were not showing up in the content as unassigned.

If I don't hear from DAZ I may try a 2-3 week computer restore and see if that does anything.
    Thanks, joe

edited December 1969

You can turn off CMS by going to Start > All Programs > DAZ3D > Content Management System > Stop Content Management System

But it really sounds like your computer is at fault not the software if had it working before.

• 2getit2getit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

My daz is crashing too since I updated to 4.5, It will say Daz ran into a fatal error, My computer has 14 gigs of ram and a 6 core 3.5 ghz processor on windows 7

edited December 1969

Yea..turned it off...started render...crash! I don't know.If I have to uninstall I lose hundreds of installed products which I will have to reinstall not to mention my scenes library..
    Wonder if DAZ tech guys reading this thread. No answer on my bug report yet.
    I may go back a couple weeks and do a restore. See if that does anything. Maybe an MS update did something to it.

Believe I read awhile back about the 'hardware accelerator' causing crashes. Don't know where to find it to check it. Anyone know?

edited December 1969

JUST GOT THIS FROM TECH. SUPPORT......IT IS THE VIDEO CARD!!!!

Hi Joseph,

I looked at the log file in the report. You can see it also in Studio by going to HELP --> Trouble-Shooting --> View Log File.

I can see in it that your system has an Intel Chipset Video card. Unfortunately, this type of onboard video card, not to be confused with an Intel motherboard or processor, does not have adequate OpenGL. OpenGL is very important for DAZ Studio which uses OpenGL to show you a realtime preview of your scene. We have found in the past that an Intel Chipset Video card does not follow OpenGL commands correctly. This causes Studio to become unstable and crash. You can try updating the software driver for the video card, but based on past experience, this will probably not resolve the issue. You may need to get a better video card. You can get a very decent card for about $50 or less, depending upon where you buy it. Make sure it supports OpenGL 2.1 or higher. Nvidia usually give the best results, but you can have good results with a newer ATI Radeon card.

Let me know if you have any other questions or if there’s any other way we can help.

edited December 1969

Yes, Intel HD is STILL problematic...it's more to do with their lousy OpenGL implementation than any flaw in the hardware.

Driver roullette or replace with a discrete card.

You may have better luck with grabbing the drivers from Intel. But try the last couple of versions, up to and including the latest...if none show an improvement, then even a cheap Nvidia card should get you up and running (AMD cards can work, too but tend to have some bumps along the way...much less frequently/severe than Intel...).

Hardware acceleration IS the video card (in this case the onboard)...turning off 'Hardware Acceleration' disables OpenGL and forces a translation for all OpenGL calls to their DirectX (or whatever MS is calling it these days) equivalents.

edited December 1969

thanks mjc. My wife's laptop has Intel Grahpics onboard and I can't run Daz Studio on it. Shame 64 bit 4 gb (upgradeable to 8) Win 7 17" Laptop and I am stuck with this piece..... LOL

edited December 1969

Thanks guys for the help. Not gonna try updating drivers. I'm going to get me an Nvidia card! I love this program. Feeling much better just knowing what's causing it.
    DAZ should have a note at the downloasd site to let people know about this particular problem. This is a very big deal.
    Thanks again. Going shopping.

edited December 2012

The problem isn't really a DS problem...because 'on paper' the Intel graphics 'supports' OpenGL. The problem is in practice the Intel drivers just suck...

It affects a wide range of things...sometimes even programs that one wouldn't think require much in the way of graphics.

I've seen many apps (especially games), though, warn that there may be problems with Intel graphics and the general advice with such is to keep the drivers up to date.

And I've also seen better luck using Intel graphics in Linux than in Windows. In Linux, it's a lot easier to replace the Intel OpenGL with something a little more 'robust'...namely the MESA package. Then using WINE with the MESA driver allows things that choke on the Windows drivers to actually run (several games spring to mind). There is a MESA version for Windows, but it is not easy to implement/replace the Intel drivers with (especially in anything higher than XP...I'm not even sure if there is a package for more recent Windows versions).

One of the tricks, if you are forced to stick to the Intel drivers, try several different versions of it, until you find one that works, then don't change it (disable auto-updates, etc) unless you have to.

Post edited by mjc1016 on
    edited December 1969

STILL CRASHING!!!
    I can't believe it. Installed my old Nvidia GeForce 9500 GT with the latest drivers. Says it handles 3.+ open GL. Used this fine with DAZ in my old computer. Looks like the same error messages. Was on it for 60 seconds...crash!

Got to send another 'ticket' to DAZ....JUST CAN'T BELIEVE THIS! Driving me nuts.

• dzerk_e68a15c30bdzerk_e68a15c30b Posts: 6
    edited December 2012

Just upgraded from DS 4.0 to DS 4.5.1.6 64-bit. DS 4.0 was stable. DS 4.5 crashes every time I use a Genesis figure. The crashes happen anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes after starting DS. I can initiate an immediate crash by attempting change any parameter from the shaping edit window. I have a Nvidia GTX 470 video card OpenGL 4.2 with the latest 310.70 drivers. I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a Core i7 with 24 GB ram.

The crashes only occur when I load a Genesis figure, any Genesis figure. In the Smart Content > People window the Genesis icon is boardered with an oranges dotted line and a ! in a triangle warning symbol in the lower right corner. Does this mean that there is a problem when DS attempts to load Genesis when DS startsup? Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it? --Thanks

Post edited by dzerk_e68a15c30b on
    edited December 1969

bob303 said:
    Just upgraded from DS 4.0 to DS 4.5.1.6 64-bit. DS 4.0 was stable. DS 4.5 crashes every time I use a Genesis figure. The crashes happen anywhere from 1 to 10 minutes after starting DS. I can initiate an immediate crash by attempting change any parameter from the shaping edit window. I have a Nvidia GTX 470 video card OpenGL 4.2 with the latest 310.70 drivers. I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a Core i7 with 24 GB ram.

The crashes only occur when I load a Genesis figure, any Genesis figure. In the Smart Content > People window the Genesis icon is boardered with an oranges dotted line and a ! in a triangle warning symbol in the lower right corner. Does this mean that there is a problem when DS attempts to load Genesis when DS startsup? Any ideas on what is wrong and how to fix it? --Thanks

Did you update the Genesis Starter Essentials, too?

Generally that's what needs to occur when you have the warning icon showing.

edited December 1969

Yes. I installed the Genesis starter essentials for DS 4.5.and then when I discovered this problem, I downloaded and re-installed the essentials--but this did not fix the problem.

edited December 1969

What version...the version for 4.5.1.6 should have 1.6 in the filename, too.

edited December 1969

DAZ Studio 4.5 Pro - Genesis Starter Essentials 1.6 - exe - pc

Here's the sequence of my upgrade installation and problem discovery:
    1. Installed DS 4.5.1.6
    2, Ran DS 4.5.1.6 and noticed that no default Genesis figure was loaded. Loading Victoria 5 Genesis figure resulted in a weird "block" man.
    3. Installed DS 4.5 Genesis Starter Essentials 1.6
    4. Ran DS 4.5.1.6. Loaded Victoria 5 Genesis figure. Figure loaded normally. Added hair and wardrobe. Went to the Shaping Edit window and tried to change the "Brow Down" parameter. DS crashed immediately.
    5. Downloaded DS and Genesis Starter Essentials again. Re-installed DS and Essentials.
    6. Ran Ds and problem was not fixed.

--Thanks

edited December 1969

Computer specs...

edited December 2012

I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a Core i7 with 24 GB ram,
    Nvidia GTX 470 video card OpenGL 4.2 with the latest 310.70 drivers

Changing shaping parameters is not the only thing that causes a crash. A crashes also occurred while I was changing pose parameters and while adjusting the lights.

----READ THIS-------
    Saw this in DS logfile:
    Temp folder: C:/Users/Bob/AppData/Roaming/DAZ 3D/Studio4/temp
    Total temp disk size: 122103 Mb, Available: 40033 Mb

Thinking that perhaps I needed more temp or cache space, I moved the temp and cache files from my C: drive which is 120 GB SSD to my D: drive which is a 1TB HD.

RESULT: I was able to change a few shaping parameters before crashing, whereas before I was not able to make any changes. So it may be slightly more stable, but it is still crashing--This did not fix the problem.

Post edited by dzerk_e68a15c30b on
  • Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

What are your OpenGL settings in Edit>Preferences>Interface?

edited December 1969

DS 4.5.1.6 Preferences > Interface > OpenGL

Hardware Antialiasing: On
    Display Optimizatioj: None
    Backface Lighting: On
    Texture Resources: slider set at mid-point
    Pixel Buffer: Off, slider set at mid-point

Current Hardware Features:
    Current OpenGL Version:

OpenGL Provider:
    NVIDIA Corporation

Hardware:
    GeForce GTX 470/PCIe/SSE2

Features:

MultiTexturing
    Supported

Shadow Map
    Supported

Hardware Antialiasing
    Supported

OpenGL Shading Language
    Supported

Pixel Buffer
    Supported

Pixel Buffer Size
    Not Enabled

Maximum Number of Lights

Number of Texture Units

Maximum Texture Size
    16384 x 16384

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 95,997
    edited December 1969

OK, that's not really pushing the system. You could try pulling the texture resources slider all the way to the performance end and see if that helps.