Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2016

For #4 I'm going ahead and picking another one that is in the 2016 best sellers, because it's an outfit I use often, particularly for the pants. Remember this for the Because I Said So! contest? Nomad for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Female(s)  The outfit has a lot of pieces and I like the rugged look, but the pants are also practical with other shirts/tops.

BTW- here's a tip that I may have posted at the time- remember to change the background building color if it is the same as your main character (dragon.) Those walls of the temple were a gray, just like the dragon, so they were made brown in Surfaces>Diffuse. Now the dragon stands out nicely!

KukikoDragonCloseup.jpg
    845 x 780 - 666K
    KukikoDragonAdLabSIG.jpg
    845 x 780 - 743K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Looks good! :) I think it comes to $8.99 in the cart. 

edited December 2016

Which one kiddo, the outfit I presume?

Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Which one kiddo, the outfit I presume?

The Nomad oufit. :) 

edited December 2016

For #5, definitely Alsace. I love the water- very easy to render. This is actually my desktop image on my computer.

Click to enlarge- it's very large!

alsace3.jpg
    1200 x 1100 - 972K
    Post edited by Novica on
    Novica said:

Hmmmm. If you load Gwennili from the Content Library Character avatars, you get the scarred makeup and face as the default (which I don't think it should be, but that part is the vendor's choice.) However, that ugly indentation for the scar STAYS when you apply regular face materials/no scar options. Yet the images show a beautiful complexion. 

You have to load her on Gen3F to get those results, and not use the Character approach at all. That's not good. 

You don't have to load her onto G3F. She has a separate dial under face shape settings that lets you dial out the facial scar. :)

She's really an incredible character. I did some renders of her here: http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1945006/#Comment_1945006

edited December 2016

I saw those- very nice!

Good to know how to take out the scar, thanks!  

Going to bed, it's 2:25am and I was on a regular schedule finally, so going to try and not stay up late. I'll have to ponder the last 5 picks, the shaders, males, females, perhaps one more set. Have fun with your lists, let's see what you liked!

Post edited by Novica on

Thank you, Novica! :D Sleep well! 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Novica, did you have trouble with the sweater adn jacket for the Nomads outfit? I keep getting pokethru of the sweater, showing through the jacket, and haven't been able to fix it. 

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Ohh! A top 10 list! I just can't resist that!

I could make it very easy and just list one product on all places 1-10, because it's by far my most used product, so it would be deserving it. But we don't like easy, do we? wink But anyway, undisputed champion of 2016 products is for me:

#1 Scintillant Portrait Lights for Iray 

I bought it in Mars, and have used it in almost every render I've made since then. I'm not joking.

Now, if number 1 was easy to pick, the rest is much harder. I've gone through my gallery to see what I've used more than once or if I remember anything I particulary liked using. This will be in no particular order:

#2 Scarves for Genesis 3 Female(s)

A great accessory that comes in several different shapes and styles. Just have a look at the main promo. wink

#3 Rochelle Ponytail Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Because I'm a sucker for ponytails... blush And this comes with many morphs (I especially love the lenght morph) and style options. The promos does a better job at showing off the hair than anything I've rendered, so I'll once again point to them.

#4 CC Reagan for Rune 7

Because I'm a sucker for redheads... blush I just love the skin materials that come with this character. Now I just so happen to have a render with both the Rochelle Ponytail and the CC Reagan materials.

This is not the best image to show off the skin, as the bright sun and wet skin makes it difficult to see the details of the skin, but you can get a good idea of how it looks if viewing it full sized.

#5 Mec4d PBS Shaders vol.2 for Iray

If you for some reason could only get one Iray shader product, this would have to be it! I have vol.1 and vol.3 too, but vol.1 I bought in 2015 and vol.3 I haven't used as much as vol.2, though they are both definitely awesome shader packs too! These shaders are just priceless for all those times things just doesn't look right with only the Iray Uber shader on them.

#6 CityScapes Backdrops

There's also a volume 2  which features more of the same, but different. smiley Great to fill up the background in any contemporary urban renders. And speaking of same, but different...

#7 TreeScapes Backdrops

To fill up the background when you've moved away from the busy big city life. There's also a couple of other themed backdrops by the same PA, but these two listed here I've had use for on several occasions.

#8 Whiskers for Genesis 3 Male(s)

I believe there's different opinions about this product, but it has worked well for me the times I've used it.

#9 Ultra Genesis Bokeh Vol 1 - Natural

I love using HDRI, even if only as a basic light source. These are nice as backgrounds too. There's also a vol 2.

#10 Chevaleresse Armor for Genesis 3 Female(s)

Now, I like skimpy fantasy outfits as much as the next guy (as I'll never be expected to wear one) but a full body covering armour for the ladies deserves some attention. This product is part of the Rune 7 Pro Bundle.

Lastly, when going through my stuff, it was interesting to discover that there's many things I got in 2015 that I still use regularely. (I started with DS that year) So it's not only the new and shiny stuff that gets my attention. smiley

edited December 2016

@jakiblue   Let me check it, but no, as I recall, I didn't do postwork on the clothes (Nomad Outfit) for that render. I will test though. Can you tell me which character you put it on? Mine was P3D Fukiko, do you have her?

Edit: No problem, out of the box. Although the belt buckle/hem are interacting with poke through, so that should be tweaked.

nomadP3DFukiko.jpg
    589 x 575 - 167K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2016

@isidorn- Love your list! I'm with you, there's just something about CC Reagan- I think I may have mentioned I got her without having Rune, I like her so much- but I did pick up Rune during the mega-sale. I'm looking at OOT hairs for one of my favs, but dang, it's hard to pick. I totally agree with the ponytail- I also like the Geneva one.

I've got the Whiskers product but can't remember if I used it. I think I did, and no problems, thought it looked fine. Yours does! And I love your DOF on the last one, but it makes me wonder what the heck that cat is staring at, torn between pouncing and running LOL. The armor looks beautiful. Black is so hard to light but you really pulled it off. I always have to do postwork midtone/shadow adjusting on those.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2016

#6  Lani Hair for Genesis 3 Female(s)   P3D Fukiko  wearing the Nomad sweater.

So gave it some thought, and while I love straight hair, I went with Lani. It's so unusual- let's hear it for the curls! (And it actually looks like hair. So many curls products look too fake, with the fan-like strokes on the ends and too much transparency. These look touchable.

FukikoLaniHair.jpg
    517 x 574 - 268K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Much thanks Novica! You make me blush blush

I agree with the Geneva hair. It's a nice ponytail indeed.

As for that last render. The cat is ready to pounce on a bird, but it's blurred out so much it only shows as an orange dot. A slight miscalculation on my part. As for the DOF, it's enhanced in Windows Photo Viewer that comes with Win10, that I use for my minimal postwork as I'm too scared to start learning something advanced like GIMP or Photoshop... Anyway, it used to have a tool where you could put an area in focus and blur everything around it. Some updates ago, Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, removed that feature when they remade the Photo Viewer. angry The light on the character (and armour) is of course the Scintillant Portrait Lights. wink Oh, and I just realized she's wearing a scarf from the number two on my list. smiley I'll attach the pre-postworked version of the render, that shows a little better that there's a bird that got the cat's attention. At least if you already know that it is a bird.

BrienneWho.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 976K

If you haven't seen this snow art, (and beach art) then you are really missing out. Incredible patience (and endurance.) 

edited December 2016

#7   Mace for Genesis 3

Mace has so many possibilities, with and without the facial hair, he looks so different! His range of expressions is good too, very fluid. So one of the males that stayed in my mind was definitely Mace! The teeth also look nicely realistic. That's Diesel Hair  and Cyber Soldier.  I tried to make the hair a bit more shiney, also added more gloss to Mace. It all seemed a bit dry to me.

And tied as the best male is Parker for Lucian 7, but since I was the tester I'll just assume everyone knows I think he is definitely one of the best males this year. (And thank you for that honor, Darwins Mishap(s)  I enjoyed him a lot!)   Here's the cowboy Parker that I rendered.

parkerSheriff1.jpg
    666 x 876 - 555K
    MaceDieselHrCyberSoldier.jpg
    589 x 700 - 286K
    MaceDieselHrCyberSoldier2.jpg
    589 x 700 - 291K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2016

So far, my list is: (links to renders, which has the link to the product)  And these are not in any particular order:

#1.  Modern Barn Environment
    #2.  Fern Lake Bundle
    #3   Chateau Blanche
     (I know I rendered it, but I think I named it for the character in the scene and can't find it at the moment.) 
    #4.  Nomad (Gen3M/F's) 
    #5.  Alsace
    #6.  Lani Hair

#7   Mace for Genesis 3

and here's the next one:
    #8  Oriental Breeze Pool  (links to product as here's the renders)  You know I adore this one, with the blinds that roll up and down, and the furniture in the pavilion. Best poolside pavilion IMO! There's so much vegetation around the pool, it's very peaceful.

orientalbreeze3.jpg
    800 x 573 - 440K
    Josina2.jpg
    711 x 800 - 482K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

I don't know how I missed the Oriential Breeze Pool, but it's lovely! I find out about so many products from this thread! 

I think you started surfing in a few weeks after that render. Someone asked if the blinds went up and down, and boy do they- and quite a few people added it to their wishlist or got it then and there. wink  Also, if you think you'd need a Western setting, Polish has an awesome Western Town. I think I picked that one last year for the top 10.

edited December 2016

I just picked up that Western Town super cheap the other day. It's a nice set! Now I just need to find time to play with all this stuff...

Post edited by Llynara on
    edited December 2016
    Llynara said:

I just picked up that Western Town super cheap the other day. It's a nice set! Now I just need to find time to play with all this stuff...

Write first, play second. devil  (Says the person who is doing her top ten list. But that is timely, and my excuse.)

Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited December 2016

Okay I will start with a couple.  My top two are Sim Tenero's Randomizer and the Skin Builder.

My avatar is one of my randomizer characters. The elf girl is a randomizer character and the Nyla is also a randomizer character with skin done in skin builder.  Don't mind the poke through on the first girl this was very early in daz journey lol.  I can't believe I've only been here for slightly more than a year (so technically, almost everything I own qualifies lol)

Alleya with Attitude Resized.png
    494 x 800 - 749K
    nyla-3delight_425_auto.png
    425 x 566 - 316K
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    Novica said:
    Llynara said:

Write first, play second. devil  (Says the person who is doing her top ten list. But that is timely, and my excuse.)

Ha ha, you're right. I need to get the next superhero book finished, but I also have to design the cover, and for that I need DAZ. Ha! LOL

edited December 2016

Okay, the last two, and my top pick female may surprise people. This gal renders beautifully, and the child version was a thread favorite of a few folks (including me.) If I get a chance, I'll re-render her as a 5 year old, using these lights and add that here. I did reduce bump, increase glossiness overall, added a smidge of metallic, to get this skin, but otherwise is out of the box and lovely.

She is rendered with my top pick for lighting. So wrapping up with my #9 and #10 (but again, no particular order for my list) is my top pick gal and top pick for lighting:

#9  Chiyo for Victoria 7
    #10  PRO-Studio HDR Lighting System

ChiyoProStudioHDRLightingPrint.jpg
    462 x 575 - 189K
    ChiyoProStudioHDRLightingKID.jpg
    462 x 575 - 184K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited December 2016

Here's my Top 10 for 2016:

1. Number one has to be Movie Sets: River Front as I've devoted a whole thread to it. I like how big a setting it is and how it gives you a place to put a lot of other products in an expansive city scene.

2. UltraScatter Advanced Instancing for Daz Studio. I've used a number of scripts to place instances. This one is very flexible, instances follow terrains, and you can use maps to control placement, rotation, and other attributes.

3 SimTenero Randomizer. You no longer need to depend upon others to make character variation as you can spin your own using whatever morphs you have. 

4. Aging Morphs 3 for Genesis 3 Bundle. Goes well with #3 above to add diversity to your characters,

5. Harpsburg for Daz Studio & Harpsburg Night Lights for Iray A beautiful old-world city to explore.

6. Sailboat. Just the thing to get away from the rat race for a while. The second image uses Iray SkyDome Super Pak also new this year.

7. FWSA Konstantin HD for Ivan 7. A tough guy with a gentle soul. He works for George HD for Genesis 3 Male(s). George knows how to throw his weight around. 

8. Abel for Genesis 3 Male. An older man and his wife Opal for Genesis 3 Female

​

9. Hi-Drama Iray Lights. Easy to use, gives dramatic lighting with dark shadows for portraits, has a preset to quickly make B&W.

10. Sawmill. Those city folks in River Front and Harpsburg won't build much if not for the loggers in the forest lands.

Post edited by RGcincy on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,135
    edited December 2016
    Novica said:

For #4 I'm going ahead and picking another one that is in the 2016 best sellers, because it's an outfit I use often, particularly for the pants. Remember this for the Because I Said So! contest? Nomad for Genesis 3 Male(s) and Female(s)  The outfit has a lot of pieces and I like the rugged look, but the pants are also practical with other shirts/tops.

Grrrr - OK, you've done it again: cost me more money!  I thought I'd filled my final cart earlier today, but then I saw this and was reminded how I really like the look of that outfit and saw how it was only 8.38 today with a random new PC+ item so of course I caved in and got it.

I'm enjoying reading everyone's Top 10 - maybe one day soon I'll manage to get all my recent purchases downloaded, installed and even rendered! Then maybe I can make my picks.

Actually I concur with several of yours: Fern Lake Bundle and Alsace which I have and Mace which I'd have liked but wishlisted for now.
    Also:
    isidorn's choice of the Scarves, the Mec4D shaders and the Ultra Genesis Bokeh HDRIs
    RGcincy's choice of Ultrascatter, Aging Morphs, Harpsburg, Konstantin and Opal

Edit to finish the text (I hit the SAVE button unintentionally)

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    edited January 2017

The rest of mine will be in no particular order and probably spaced out over a number of days.

1st Bastions Knights Academy  Its huge, its beautiful and has over 30 camera angles to use so you can hop all over this massive set and get into all the nooks and crannies pretty much stress free. LOVE this set although I haven't rendered anything with it yet, am working on something this weekend.

Here is just a quick snapshot of one corner of this massive set.  Had another but can't find it at the moment. I will add a couple more as I go.

1Bastions Knight Academy 1.png
    2040 x 1632 - 6M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
    edited December 2016

Okay, here you have it. I did find a render I did of Chateau Blanche, and added Chiyo as a child. So my Top 10 For 2016:

NOTE: The links are NOT WORKING RIGHT. The Barn is going to the Fern Lake and Mace is going to the product page. I've refreshed the cache, etc. Will you folks test those two and see if you are going to my renders? There's nothing else I can do, the links are correct.

#1.  Modern Barn Environment
    #2.  Fern Lake Bundle
    #3   Chateau Blanche  (Same link as Fern Lake Bundle, found a render)
    #4.  Nomad (Gen3M/F's) 
    #5.  Alsace
    #6.  Lani Hair
    #7   Mace for Genesis 3
    #8   Oriental Breeze Pool 
    #9  Chiyo for Victoria 7  (also shown as a child)
    #10  PRO-Studio HDR Lighting System ( same as Chiyo link)

Post edited by Novica on

Rich- great picks! You and I really had fun with that Sailboat (it's in my Alsace) and I remember all the gorgeous skies/water you tested with it.  If you hadn't picked the Movie Sets: River Front I was going to pounce on it and hit you thirty times with a wet noodle. Abel and Opal really are meant for each other, I can't remember if I've ever rendered him or not, now you got me thinking. 

I like the B&W render, ultra dramatic. LOL, if Konstantin has a gentle soul (with a machine gun) I'd hate to see him with an attitude! I, too, got Sawmill- there's so many nooks and crannies. But I hardly ever see it rendered elsewhere. It's a great set, glad you mentioned it! Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing your list each year. (Wow, it's been a year since we did this!) 

MelanieL said:

Grrrr - OK, you've done it again: cost me more money!  I thought I'd filled my final cart earlier today, but then I saw this and was reminded how I really like the look of that outfit and saw how it was only 8.38 today with a random new PC+ item so of course I caved in and got it.

And just think, a new year, a new thread...another 365 days of "Oh look at this..."  

This discussion has been closed.