Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2016

I, too, lurk here often.  We all need to do what it is we need to do, and I'm sure others will keep posting their thoughts on future products!

I've decided, after trying to imagine not having a place to at least chat about the products- to launch Thread 8 for product reviews/ discussions with reduced renders by me. That's what takes up so much time- but I really enjoy everyone's input on the products (case in point, Barbult showing us the flaws on the Santa suit) so if everyone understands it may be more chatty and less renders, I'm happy to continue with Thread 8.

I also probably won't have the most current products. I simply have to cut back on what I buy,  even before this sale I can't possibly use most of what I've already got. And with this sale, wow, I have so much to render and test when I finally do get around to it- I know you're in the same boat. So if you folks want a thread to keep chit-chatting (even if you don't render a lot) then I'll be happy to continue it. I've been rather sad about ending it, frankly. It's one of those darned if I do and darned if I don't- but if I modify what I do, meaning less renders, and not get on the forums every day then I'll do Thread 8. I am doing better with time management, I wrote on the book the past two days, in between crisis management. You don't want to know, but here tis-

My stray cat of three years did not come to eat last night, some guests staying with us the day before didn't listen to me when I said to stop going in and out the front door, that the cat was there to eat and was a fearful stray. (I can't touch him, but he let's me get within inches to put down the food, and sprawls out in the summer on the sidewalk to watch me do yardwork if it's late evenings. He never shows up during the day.)  He left that day because one guest simply HAD to go back out to the car. So Shadow didn't come back last night either. My present would be Shadow showing up tonight. I walked the neighborhood until 11:30pm last night, listening for any sounds of a hurt cat. No cats hit by a car though, that's one good thing. We're in a very quiet neighborhood, speed limit 20, but you know how that goes. 

Then get this- the doctors who operated on that guest's mom for open heart surgery PUT IN THE WRONG VALVES. Pigskin instead of mechanical. Oh, the lawsuit- her family has SIX lawyers in the immediate/first cousin family. Oh boy. How does someone screw up that big? Her mom flatly refused to be cut open again (even though pigskin has a high rejection rate for some people.) and left the hospital yesterday, as scheduled, refusing to stay for surgery again. (I don't blame her, and I certainly wouldn't let that surgeon get near me!)  

So, my time management problem has been solved and I think to preserve my sanity, stopping the habit of having a thread to chat on, is not a good idea for me personally either. If you will overlook my absence periodically and feel free to chat without me - that's always been the case, but I want to emphasize you're not "taking over the thread," I renamed the thread so you would know it is a FORUM MEMBERS thread to discuss products- then let's do Thread 8. Not trying to ping pong on you, I really was serious about ending it but I'm maintaining writing on the book and reducing forum time, even with the thread in place. Already wrote two hours today (5am-7am) and just being very aware of budgeting my forum time.

Speaking of which, getting off now to enjoy Christmas with my mom, she's 89 as of Dec 7th and so much fun- still in her full right mind and quite fun! So I guess we'll all continue to chat, and render when we feel like it.  That's my present to you today-besides, I'd miss you very, very much, (yes, even you, lurkers!)  so it's really giving myself a present!

And Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays from Pensacola, Florida!
    Cathie

Post edited by Novica on
    barbult said:

You can improve the hair and beard look a little by applying subD and smoothing, like I did in this image. But using the other Santa Beard we got recently or the Whiskers product or Unshaven might yield even better results. Here is Santa off duty.

But before I go- your Santa is amazing. One of these days, I am going to test the Genesis 2 Santa stuff- think it was the beard and whiskers. Do you think D-formers will solve the separation problem with the fur on the lap, connecting to the suit?

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I, too, lurk here often.  We all need to do what it is we need to do, and I'm sure others will keep posting their thoughts on future products!

As for UHT2- get it.  Seriously.  Almost all of my promos use it.  As long as the hairs are UV'd vertically, the UHT2 will work wonders.  

Totally agree on the UHT

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Novica, I'm thrilled to hear you'll keep doing the threads and happy to help out however I can. Like you, I'm trying to write and budget my time (and money!) Somehow both end up here. Going through plenty here too. The writing and art keep me sane, kind of, LOL. 

I love talking about the products and seeing what others are doing with them. There are many things I would not have known about if I hadn't read it here! And everyone is so nice and helpful. Glad it'll keep going. That's a wonderful Christmas gift!

Oh I missed that whole half a page that said you were staying!  Hurray!  So happy to hear that!   I need to edit my time in the forums as well.  Although in the winter I spend more time home and in the house than I do when the weather is nice (maybe I should move somewhere where it will be warm all year lol)

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,806
    edited December 2016

That's good new Novica (keeping the thread). Enjoy the time with your mom today and hope your cat shows back up soon. We're just waiting for our children to arrive. Merry Christmas!

Holiday Nook Iray Addon  Christmas Toys of Yesteryear  Redhouse Christmas Carol Exp 1  Artificial Christmas Tree n' Poses (2014 PA gift)

Christmas Image 2016.jpg
    1200 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited December 2016

Thanks all, back from mom's. No cat, and it's the time he should be here. I am headed out the door for about fifteen minutes to walk the front of the subdivision, to see if he was hit by a car there. Slim chance of that, he always came from the direction of the back street and stayed on our street. Back in awhile. 

EDIT: 5:25pm- no cat. Even went down the greenbelts between the adjoining back yards. So at least we know he isn't laying there injured. I turned off the Christmas lights last night in case that would bother him (although we have them every year) and not turning them on tonight at all. 

Post edited by Novica on

Hope he shows up soon!

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

You know, I was actually going to ask if we could continue the thread with a reduced input from you! I would miss this thread so much - I've bought so many things JUST from seeing them featured/reviewed here in your thread. :) 

Novica said:

I've decided, after trying to imagine not having a place to at least chat about the products- to launch Thread 8 for product reviews/ discussions with reduced renders by me. That's what takes up so much time- but I really enjoy everyone's input on the products (case in point, Barbult showing us the flaws on the Santa suit) so if everyone understands it may be more chatty and less renders, I'm happy to continue with Thread 8.

edited December 2016

Thanks Jakiblue- can't imagine not chatting with you.

FYI- I noticed Chinatown in the What's Hot, and don't know why this is working but it does- with one of the new releases of today, it goes to $8.39 in the cart. Stonemason isn't one of the featured stores today, is it from another day? It's at 60% off (15.98) to start with, originally 39.95. Thought I'd point it out, I can't pass it up at that price. I put the Free Running poses (under $5) in the cart and it did drop the price, can't remember what it was, but I think it was around 11.00 PRIOR to adding that release.   

Also, Future Cityscape Density Blocks is 50% and 11.48, but dropped to 6.42 with one of today's releases.

Post edited by Novica on
  • KharmaKharma Posts: 3,214

Hey Novica, so glad you are continuing the thread!  I had sent you a message late last night, not sure if you read it yet.  I know I would miss the thread so much as its the first and sometimes the only thread I visit depending on time. With my new time commitments at work I miss the forums so much, seeing what everyone is talking about, even if I don't comment much these days.  I did come home for Christmas just for one night ( it's a four hour drive each way in cold snowy weather) and am now figuring out how to get my rendering computer loaded into my vehicle and taking it back with me so I can get back into some doing some artwork. I have done some hurry up shopping the sales and am sure I missed alot of great prices but did get several new items that I would like to test.

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Same here! LOL

I'm all shopped out from xmas - not a cent in the kitty to even get a super cheap product. LOL.  

Novica said:

Thanks Jakiblue- can't imagine not chatting with you.

FYI- I noticed Chinatown in the What's Hot, and don't know why this is working but it does- with one of the new releases of today, it goes to $8.39 in the cart. Stonemason isn't one of the featured stores today, is it from another day? It's at 60% off (15.98) to start with, originally 39.95. Thought I'd point it out, I can't pass it up at that price. I put the Free Running poses (under $5) in the cart and it did drop the price, can't remember what it was, but I think it was around 11.00 PRIOR to adding that release.   

Also, Future Cityscape Density Blocks is 50% and 11.48, but dropped to 6.42 with one of today's releases.

edited December 2016
    Kharma said:

Hey Novica, so glad you are continuing the thread!  I had sent you a message late last night, not sure if you read it yet. 

Hey Kharma!  Just got online, read it- thanks!
    All you folks driving on snowy roads- glad you got to where you were going without incident! I'm originally from Indiana so I have fond memories of those pretty drifts (and how ugly they start looking when they turn gray from the dirt, exhaust, etc- you want fresh snow to cover it up!)  Fortunately, it seems most of you aren't dealing with ice on the roads. I remember being like a bumper car, bouncing from curb to curb, and I was only going about 5mph when I had to head down the street (dropping someone off at home after picking them up at the airport.) I was aiming between parked cars along the curb! (Did a great job too. Didn't hit anyone.)

The 60% is not applying right on the new releases so far this morning.

Anyway, wanted to mention a character you might like over on Rendo, and that's Shayla for G3F. I really like her teeth! 

StacRendo.jpg
    587 x 860 - 408K
    Post edited by Novica on

Well DUH. 

I don't know what you do, but stupid me, I've been searching in Product Library, Google, or Store Search (what a JOKE) if I see a product in DIM that I am not sure about, or in the Content Library in Studio that has abbreviations  (and clicking to the files doesn't always help find the exact name.)  In DIM, if you aren't sure what it is, and if it doesn't have a README, right click and select SHOW ORDER. It will take you to the order and the clickable link to the product! 

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136
    Novica said:

Well DUH. 

I don't know what you do, but stupid me, I've been searching in Product Library, Google, or Store Search (what a JOKE) if I see a product in DIM that I am not sure about, or in the Content Library in Studio that has abbreviations  (and clicking to the files doesn't always help find the exact name.)  In DIM, if you aren't sure what it is, and if it doesn't have a README, right click and select SHOW ORDER. It will take you to the order and the clickable link to the product! 

You can also click on the"i" in the circle and it will take you to the product readme.

• Glad there will be a thread 8.

Happy Holidays!

Novica said:

Novica said:

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 2016

Test render of some items I picked up.

The background is Mesozoic Badlands background (the ground is from another set I have had for a while); sky is one I made in Bryce. Rendered in Iray after changing those items that needed it with Iray Uber Base.

Click on image for full size.

dinosaur-dragon-test-001.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 1M
    Post edited by Fishtales on

Novica, somehow we got transported to Florida I think. 71F in Ohio today! Must be 90 down there.

RGcincy said:

Novica, somehow we got transported to Florida I think. 71F in Ohio today! Must be 90 down there.

It definitley was super warm here in Ohio today.  Very....odd lol.  Going to go back down to the high 30's tomorrow. 

RGcincy said:

Always happy to share the warmth!

And here's a definite warm and fuzzy. Guess who showed up after four days of being missing? THE CAT!!!!!!  At  5:50pm he limped onto the porch and meowed. I didn't give him any antibiotics (I keep some spare from my vet) because I wanted to make sure he ate well. Will mix some in to prevent infection tomorrow night, the fur wasn't ruffled/wet so not bloody, may be a thorn. The best I can do is fight infection with meds (can't touch the cat.) So Shadow is back!  heart (Going on four years.)  Headed to bed but wanted to let you all know. NOW it's a Merry Christmas (albeit a day late, I'll take it!) 

Parker for Lucian 7 is the way to do promos!!!!

My heavens, take a well modeled man and showcase him right, and you get art that is poster-worthy! Darwins Mishap(s) lighting, combined with the various themes, was teased in the thread here in Art Studio- but my, my, my! He should do a course for some of the other vendors on lighting and promos. Congrats on such an awesome addition to the male Genesis 3's, Parker has neat options and you can't go wrong with him, he fits into any time period or theme.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 2016

I picked up Parker today! Can't wait to try him.

Be warned if you purchase the hunger... The monster is totally broken in the arms and hands. I'm really suprised this one made it through testing like this. A bug report was submitted.

hunger.JPG
    703 x 846 - 65K
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,136

I picked up Parker today! Can't wait to try him.

Be warned if you purchase the hunger... The monster is totally broken in the arms and hands. I'm really suprised this one made it through testing like this. A bug report was submitted.

Wow! That is a mess. It reminds me of the way Jared was released. Remember that one? Check that thread again. Richard had a recommendation for a workaround that a user can do while waiting for a fix. I bet they'll fix that pretty fast.

• I picked up Parker today! Can't wait to try him.

Is that affecting both the Character preset and setting the morph on a  regular G3M manually?

• FishtalesFishtales Posts: 6,043
    edited December 2016

Test render of some more items I picked up.

The background is Mesozoic Badlands background using the terain this time; sky is one I made in Bryce.

dinosaur-dragon-test-002.jpg
    1496 x 997 - 2M
    Post edited by Fishtales on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,560
    edited December 2016

Is that affecting both the Character preset and setting the morph on a  regular G3M manually?

BOTH. the character loads with the problems and the problems occur when you dial in the morphs manually.

Post edited by Serene Night on
    edited December 2016

Breaking news... from the Smithsonian Institute, shown is a rare photo from its archived collection of foreign dignitaries, Prince Parker of Obindabi and Princess Finley. The never-before-seen image from 1947 is one of the few in existance of the couple, notorious for avoiding photographers. The photo is estimated to be worth $187,512.72  Anyone wishing to purchase the image can pay cash to Novica, Curator of the museum who denies stealing the image but somehow has it in her possession. Authorities are not investigating, because anyone stupid enough to pay that amount deserves to be ripped off.  

Parker is wearing Arabian Prince Outfit (Gen3M)  with his sweetheart FWSA Finley HD (V7)  (she's so dainty next to him, what a cute couple!)  wearing Anjou Hair and Hellenic (Gen3F)  using Destiny Gardens Iray Fabrics of Asia Shaders.

ParkerPrinceArabianAndFinley4.jpg
    441 x 558 - 91K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2016

Original. If you like oldie photos (that's the first one I've done!) then pick up Ron's Edge Grunge,  and  the Dust and Lint brushes. For the grunge, try a darker gray with gray on top of it, with manilla yellow sploches. The lint is both white and gray. (lint meaning flecks)  I also made a huge brush and dabbed the entire thing with yellow-white. Reduce the contrast and midtones too.

So sad about Carrie Fisher, dying at age 60. She really had a sense of humor.

ParkerPrinceArabianAndFinley.jpg
    441 x 557 - 211K
    Post edited by Novica on

I really like the first one (B&W). Has just the right mood, enhanced by the story line. Have you posted it on ebay yet?

Novica said:

So sad about Carrie Fisher, dying at age 60. She really had a sense of humor.

My wife, daughter and her husband, and I were heading out to see Rogue One at the movie theater when we heard the news. Made the movie's ending even more poignant.. 

Fishtales said:

Test render of some more items I picked up.

The background is Mesozoic Badlands background using the terain this time; sky is one I made in Bryce.

Love those colors @fishtales! Nicely done, that's a great herd with variety.

This discussion has been closed.