Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

according to the ReadMe File List: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/read_me/index/34107/file_list there definitely should be makeups listed under: People/Genesis 3 Female/Materials/Clarice/3Delight/Clarice Face 04.duf

Ahhh....they are in the Materials folder, not the Character folder (where they should be)

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited December 2016

I'm getting a mesh distortion with the Mystery Solver Sweater.  EDIT: Reported it, it's definitely a glitch.

jolineMysterySolverSweater.jpg
    353 x 575 - 153K
    Post edited by Novica on

This ReadMe is wrong. It's under Environments. @sloshwerks   BTW, I'm curious. Who does the ReadMe?  The vendor or Daz staff? 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

Can I show a preview of something that will be coming to the shop soon? (with permission of the vendor of course)

• Novica said:

BTW, I'm curious. Who does the ReadMe?  The vendor or Daz staff? 

When a PA submit a product for consideration,  there are fields that can be filled out for store page notes and readme, among others.  Depending on products, different PAs add differing amounts,  some very thorough,  others just a couple sentences.  Once the product is through testing,  the storepage is set up and readme gets fleshed out by the tester and daz staff.  It's out of the PA's hands by that point.  We don't see it until the product goes live.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Sorry to hear about your kitty.

edited December 2016

Can I show a preview of something that will be coming to the shop soon? (with permission of the vendor of course)

Sure, no problem. 

@dawnblade   Thank you. I am glad it happened five days before my son came home for the holidays- she stayed in his room. Would have been tough. He hadn't seen her for a few months so I think this was the better situation.

Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2016

Santa's Toy Workshop     FWSA Cai (Mei Lin 7)          FW Brooke HD (V7)

Title: The Eavesdropping Horse

toyshopkids.jpg
    880 x 900 - 695K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited December 2016

Thread Series Is Ending

I have enjoyed doing product showcases for over 4 years, and with the close of 2016 and a New Year fast approaching, this thread is relatively close (about 15 pages) to coming to an end. The 7 threads are chocked full of goodies, tips, and tutorials, so much so that much of it is buried in the thousands of posts. I've started a Character thread to help pinpoint the most recent renders from threads 6 and 7 here in Art Studio, please feel free to provide links to notable character renders, whether they're yours or someone else's. I've still got quite a few characters to render and test so I can select the ones I want for my book, and I'll  put those in the actual character thread, time permitting.

Which brings me to the fact that now and in the foreseeable future, my time is very limited and so doing Thread 8 and continuing the showcase product threads is not the best choice for budgeting my time. I wanted to give everyone a head's up early so you wouldn't be trying to find it to bookmark it. I have SO appreciated the posters, lurkers, contributing artists- we've had great fun over the past four years. Thanks for also supporting the Because I Said So! contests. It's going to be difficult not to check in every morning and chat with the Across-The-Pond visitors who are in different time zones- will miss that a lot. It's become SUCH a habit to check in several times a day to the thread, done it for four years- and so enjoyed each one of you. The 7 threads have about 500,000 views/posts, give or take a bit. I haven't checked in the past month.

I've gotten sidetracked significantly from my priorities-  learning ZBrush to do character modeling for my sons' video games, modeling a main character for my book after I get done with their characters, and writing my book series. Those things have been rather neglected, and yesterday morning, instead of forum activities, I worked in ZBrush for a couple hours.  I realized how much I was getting done and perhaps that should be my new habit, so I did it again this morning after only spending a few minutes shopping. I got a lot done! So, I like that habit, it's more productive and supports my goals. You probably know the feeling, you don't mean to spend so much time on the forums, but there's this, then that, then you look up and an hour or more has gone by... and you're not rendering, you're chatting, and not getting done what you want to accomplish.

I also very rarely get to the ranch to ride my horse, and I want to spend more outdoor time to balance all the sit-at-the-computer writing and rendering. Winter in Florida is a great time to ride, and that is now. Going to be almost 70 again this week, upper 60's today. (And here I am on the computer, see what I mean LOL?) 

So thanks for the support, and particularly the vendors who have popped in to help explain their products and assist us on the thread- it's always been much appreciated. I'll still be popping in the various forum sections and posting when taking breaks from Zbrush and writing, and visiting the other wonderful Art Studio threads- my favorite section of course! This thread will start dropping back in the pages once it is finished, but whenever I do post, I'll have it in my signature so you can find the first page with the references, there's some real goodies there.

Thanks again!
    Cathie / Novica

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,808

A big THANK YOU for your 4 years! That shows a lot of commitment and support to go on for that long, and to index the thread at the beginning as well, plus the spinoff threads as well. A great resource that has led me to spend more $$ than I thought I would. It seems you have a lot of irons in the fire, so choose what inspires you and helps you achieve what you want. Enjoy the modeling and the riding!!

(By the way, you mentioned your son's video game's, does he just use the characters in the game or does he create games himself?)

@RGcincy Thanks! Had a lot of help, you in particular with all the wonderful renders. I still laugh at your sailboats with our avatars on them, and the bunnies. I've spent a lot of money on products that other people showcased, so I know the feeling! (And I can only imagine how Wishlists grew... mine did!) 

Both sons do video game design to various degrees, and work with other folks on what they don't know how to do (harder programming stuff.) I'm out of the loop on all that, fortunately!  I've got to do 3D characters and learn to UV map, etc. 

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

I'm really going to miss this thread but I totally understand the time commitment thing! Many thanks for doing this for so long, its certainly benefited me greatly as I am sure it has many others.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,147

crying I'm more of a lurker and only occasionally a poster, but you're thread will be missed. Enjoy your new activities!

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,137

Sorry to hear this, Novica, but after all that time (and all those threads) you must be ready for a rest!

Thanks for providing this focus on products for so long - I echo the earlier posts on how much money you've cost me too! cheeky

I know what you mean about how the Forums can suck all your time away - happens to me several days of the week! Good luck with all your creative enterprises. I'll look out for you (rather less frequent?) Forum visits.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Whenever I wasn't sure about a product, or needed a tutorial on just about anything, and much more, I knew I could find it here. Thank you so much for everything @Novica.

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770

Aww, sorry to hear it! I just discovered your wonderful threads recently. But I know what you mean. My early morning writing time seems to be strangely co-opted lately by DAZ shopping time...

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

Oh no! But now what will be the first thread I read at the forums?? :) I understand completely tho your time commitments. I shall definitely miss this thread - it was SO helpful when looking at new products to come in and see people rendering them and talking about them. :sigh: You've been a HUGE help to me - as well as everyone else who took the time to post here about things. 

• RedzRedz Posts: 1,459

Best of luck in all of your creative projects and outdoor pursuits, and thank you for all your contributions to the forum. This has been such a useful thread. I have discovered many products here that I might otherwise have passed over. Xx

Redz said:

Best of luck in all of your creative projects and outdoor pursuits, and thank you for all your contributions to the forum. This has been such a useful thread. I have discovered many products here that I might otherwise have passed over. Xx

Thank you very much everyone. Fortunately, there's some really nice Art Studio threads to carry on the discussion of the products so I'm sure your wallets will continue to empty at an alarming rate. 

I have a suggestion if anyone would like to take it on- I'm doing the Character thread (renders of people, toons, robots, anything that has personality basically) but it would be fun to also have a scene/sets thread where renders are indexed in the same manner. That way, if you want to see a set, you can easily find it. The problem with my threads is that they are "monster" threads, 100 pages long, and it's really hard to surf through and find things. That's why I started the Character thread, because it focuses on one aspect of the products. Once this thread ends, I'll put my character renders in that thread, and index them in the opening posts.

If someone does the Scene/Set index thread, it probably would require keeping up with it, at least for awhile, until a nice number of sets are indexed. Not a job to take on lightly.  smiley  I could definitely go through my threads and give you links of the nicer renders for scenes (time permitting. But that way you wouldn't get overwhelmed, either.) 

• Will miss you and your threads Novica.

I really enjoyed them.

• dHandledHandle Posts: 617

Aww...Novica.  A sad day.

I lurk here a lot, but don't often comment.  Nothing much to contribute.  But your thread has been one that I hit every day.  I know this has been a labor of love for you, and I completely understand the need to move on to other things.  I just want to take a moment to thank you for all your efforts on behalf of the artists who benefitted from visiting you here.  I know I did. 

I also know it's not good-bye, but it feels like it.  I guess I will just watch for wherever you show up next! smiley

Thank you!

David

Thank you very much @xmasrose and @dHandle    I appreciate both the lurkers and the posters, as long as the information gets to people, that's what counts. I see your posts elsewhere and I learned from you too!  yes

Yesterday and today was spent consulting with very kind PAs who are answering my noobie questions on UV mappers. OMGosh, so many products out there, and of course if you don't have a clue about it, reading what each one can do means absolutely nothing because the descriptions refer to things that you don't know. Going in circles. Like to thank The DigiVault, Lyoness, Maclean, and Slosh for their kindness in chatting with me and giving encouragement. I've been watching videos all morning, hence why I can't continue doing threads while learning technical stuff. I'm SO not technical, it takes me twice as long as everyone else to get the hang of something I think.

• isidornisidorn Posts: 1,601

Count me as one of those lurkers. I'm all too familiar with what kind of time thieves forums can be, so I completely understand the need to drop the amount of time spent on the forums to get other things done.

Good luck with your learning!

• Gonna miss hanging out in this thread.....

But good luck with the rest of your ventures.  Sounds like you've got a lot on your plate.

I'm sure we'll still see you around!

• Novica said:

I've gotten sidetracked significantly from my priorities-  learning ZBrush to do character modeling for my sons' video games, modeling a main character for my book after I get done with their characters, and writing my book series. Those things have been rather neglected, and yesterday morning, instead of forum activities, I worked in ZBrush for a couple hours.  I realized how much I was getting done and perhaps that should be my new habit, so I did it again this morning after only spending a few minutes shopping. I got a lot done! So, I like that habit, it's more productive and supports my goals. You probably know the feeling, you don't mean to spend so much time on the forums, but there's this, then that, then you look up and an hour or more has gone by... and you're not rendering, you're chatting, and not getting done what you want to accomplish.

I also very rarely get to the ranch to ride my horse, and I want to spend more outdoor time to balance all the sit-at-the-computer writing and rendering. Winter in Florida is a great time to ride, and that is now. Going to be almost 70 again this week, upper 60's today. (And here I am on the computer, see what I mean LOL?) 

[snip]

Thanks again!
    Cathie / Novica

Good for you!  You've brought so much dedication and ingenuity to these multiple threads  that I'm sure where ever these new pursuits (or reprioritized old pursuits)  take you'll bring the same creativity and accomplishment to them. 

• I'm fairly new to this, but your thread has been great.. thanks so much!

• I haven't been very active in posting here, but I have been very active in lurking laugh

I'm sorry to hear that you won't be continuing these threads , lot's of great information and reviews from you and those who have been contributing. I always enjoyed reading your posts, but I can also totally understand the need to step back and concentrate on getting other things done.

Good luck with your ventures and with learning new things :) 

edited December 2016

Appreciate all of you too- the support and help when I got stuck or needed something double checked.

Back to business- check out Glamour Outfit- it fooled me. I don't like the "how is it staying on around the sides?" sexy tops- you know, the ones that have no support whatsoever and the woman would be in dire straits if she actually wore it- but look at the thumbnails (third row, first and second ones)  and you'll see this one actually has a full top option, and different options in back (and one is just gorgeous!) It's in the featured PA stores so the discount is really good.

Post edited by Novica on
  • TangoAlphaTangoAlpha Posts: 4,584

I know the feeling - it takes several sessions through the day to keep track of the "small" number of threads that I do try and keep track of (multiply that across several other interests outside of 3D . . .), and by the time you're done there are as many unread messages as when you started. And then at some point your brain says, "If I hadn't spent that time in the forums, you'd be so much further advanced in x-y-z", then the demon on the other shoulder says, "yeah, but your computer was rendering, what else could you do?" First demon: "Maybe it was rendering at the start..."

Ahem.

Good luck with doing real stuff, and say "Hi" to your horses. I got started in 3D because I wanted to make illustrations, covers and promo reels for my novels. Have I achieved any of that? No. On the other hand, the sets I've built make a lot more money than my novels do (says a lot about my book marketing skills - or lack of them!). I've got two books outlined yet unwritten because I need to get this next set in by the end of the month and . . .Where was I? Oh yes, distractions.

Anyhow, hope we'll still see you around from time to time. I haven't contributed much to these threads, but I've enjoyed lurking, and I've learned a lot.

Tim smiley

• LlynaraLlynara Posts: 4,770
    edited December 2016

@TangoAlpha -We must be twins! Except I haven't learned how to model cool stuff like you yet! LOL

@Novica - Good call on the Glamour Outfit. I missed that earlier! And in the cart, it's showing up at only $3. Great buy. I'm thinking I saw the textures in the freebies, but can't remember.

Two questions:

1. Has anyone bought and rendered Ceridwen yet? She's gorgeous. Probably picking her up today. Reminds me a lot of Lilith 7, who I just love!

2. UHT Shaders are on sale today super cheap, but there's also UHT2 that seems more advanced. Anyone own one or both? Which would you recommend? I've already got quite a few hair shaders, so was wondering if the second one replaces the first.

Post edited by Llynara on
This discussion has been closed.