David and Horo I need your help sorting my cart

Comments

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,131
    edited December 1969

@markhendy - oh I was sure it was a typo. Just was a bit in the smart mood. Doesn't DAZ recommend not using a download manager? On the old site, it was clearly stated. I've never used used one.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    WE have been told that when the Proposed Download/Install manager, or whatever it is called, comes into being, it will be able to check for updates, if you choose to use it.

BTW there are a couple of threads where users have been keeping check of updated products.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

Okay well thanks although given the statement "when the Proposed Download/Install manager, or whatever it is called, comes into being, it will be able to check for updates" I get the feeling that's in the realm of Daz time? Which could ultimately be months or years. Still this is the first time I've heard any mentioning of that. Had I heard that there was such a manager in the works I would have perhaps been a bit more patient. Till now thaough all I've heard is "Daz is aware of the problem".

Still though rather then propose a solution that has to be developed and could take a long time, if they even ever get it to work, why not just bring back the old forum? If it's because daz is too poor to pay someone to update such a forum I'd be willing to volunteer to do it if Daz could provide me with the info of what products have been updated. Then again if they could take the time to email a volunteer such info they could just as easily update the forum itself, if they would just bring the updates forum back. I just really don't understand why daz is making it so difficult for customers to know for sure if a product has been updated or not. Hell if they could just add the few lines of text to the product page that indicates how many files for a given product and what the total file size is of those files. I could go thru and compare what I have with what it's supposed to currently be, like I used to do back before they made a products update forum. I mean I just don't get where there is any real benefit to Daz for keeping their customers in the dark like that. All of their competitors indicate how many files and what the current sizes are. It's not that complicated a thing to do.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @markhendy - oh I was sure it was a typo. Just was a bit in the smart mood. Doesn't DAZ recommend not using a download manager? On the old site, it was clearly stated. I've never used used one.

You are correct, I forgot that, which kind of makes thier proposed solution to update issues rather unusual.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Just to let you know I've contacted my goto guy at DAZ 3D, Paul Haber, to see if this is possible to have the Bryce Mentoring DVD as a download. I will let you know what the answer is when one is forth coming. Paul is a jolly good fellow and helped me out in the past, so I expect we will be able to get a straight answer one way or the other. I can't promise it will be the answer you want. But at least we will have an answer.

Still waiting on an answer to this, just to say, I've sent an email requesting an update. The "trick", as I understand it, is to get hold of Kevin.

• edited December 1969

Just to let you know I've contacted my goto guy at DAZ 3D, Paul Haber, to see if this is possible to have the Bryce Mentoring DVD as a download. I will let you know what the answer is when one is forth coming. Paul is a jolly good fellow and helped me out in the past, so I expect we will be able to get a straight answer one way or the other. I can't promise it will be the answer you want. But at least we will have an answer.

Still waiting on an answer to this, just to say, I've sent an email requesting an update. The "trick", as I understand it, is to get hold of Kevin.

Thank you, David.

edited December 1969

Another update.

Good news everyone...

OK, making the DVD available for download should be possible - I have received word from DAZ 3D towers - but I don't know what the time scale is. I have to prepare some files and things. I'll get on with that the moment I have a day in the office and get the ball rolling. And I'll keep you posted.

• edited December 1969

Another update.

Good news everyone...

OK, making the DVD available for download should be possible - I have received word from DAZ 3D towers - but I don't know what the time scale is. I have to prepare some files and things. I'll get on with that the moment I have a day in the office and get the ball rolling. And I'll keep you posted.

Absolutely fantastic news!!!! I'm very pleased for you, David and for all the customers who have put off buying due to the shipping charges (including me LOL). Wicked. I think I shall have a coffee now :D

edited December 1969

Another update.

Good news everyone...

So does this mean I'll be able to get the rest of my shipping fee refunded? :) Just kidding. Yeah in this day and age where so many have T-1 or greater speed with their internet connection and DVD burners are so cheap they've become almost a default computer part it make perfectly good sense to just let people have the option of downloading the image file of the DVD and burn it themselves. Although the shipping option should be maintained since not everyone has great connection speeds or a dvd burner.

edited December 1969

Another update.

Good news everyone...

So does this mean I'll be able to get the rest of my shipping fee refunded? :) Just kidding. Yeah in this day and age where so many have T-1 or greater speed with their internet connection and DVD burners are so cheap they've become almost a default computer part it make perfectly good sense to just let people have the option of downloading the image file of the DVD and burn it themselves. Although the shipping option should be maintained since not everyone has great connection speeds or a dvd burner.

Yes well precisely, there have been quite a few objections to the video tutorials on the basis that some folks don't have a sufficiently swift internet connection to take advantage of them. So, I feel that to cater to everyone, is the best option.

edited December 1969

Further update. OK I've uploaded the product into the system and it is assigned to Kevin. So far so good...

• edited December 1969

Further update. OK I've uploaded the product into the system and it is assigned to Kevin. So far so good...

Any news yet on when this will hit the store?

edited December 1969

markhendy said:

Any news yet on when this will hit the store?

There appears to be some confusion at DAZ towers at the moment. I was asked to send them the files and had to remind them that they already have the files, have already tested the files and indeed have already published the product - in one form. I've yet to receive a response to my last email. That was posted on the 7th. I'm not certain, but I don't believe DAZ 3D works weekends. So I don't anticipate I will know more until at the very earliest Monday.

• edited December 1969

Thank you, David.

edited December 1969

Confusion? At Daz? No way, you must have them mixed up with someone else? :) As for weekends, I think they sometimes have people there but I believe the ones that are sometimes there on the weekend have skills limited to posting sales item of the day and stuff like that?

edited December 1969

Fact is, I had sent them the Gold Master DVD by mail on 22.08.2011. The volume name wasn't even changed. It still reads Gold Master.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    Fact is, I had sent them the Gold Master DVD by mail on 22.08.2011. The volume name wasn't even changed. It still reads Gold Master.

Yes sir, I can confirm that, that's what the volume label reads in windows explorer when I look at the drives in my computer and the Tutorial DVD is in my DVD Drive.

edited December 1969

Sure, David and I got a specimen copy each (after some nudging) and that is the one that has the $3.46 stamp on the parcel.

• edited December 1969

markhendy said:
    Has there been any update on this from DAZ, chohole? I just went through the checkout process again, up to the point of shipping costs, and still get only the following two prices:

"United Parcel Service
    Worldwide Expedited $84.30
    Worldwide Express Saver $88.46"

These in addition to the product price of $79.95.

Just to contrast, the Black November sale yesterday had two Cararra training packages each priced at under $40 (sale prices), but more importantly available via download. Is it feasible to host the Bryce videos online and make them available to purchasers only, for example via Dropbox?

First of all ... Happy New Year to all. It's now 2013 here in the UK, but the DAZ end of year sale still goes on for another couple of hours, I hope :P

Plus I'm chuffed to bits to see the David and Horo sale on their Bryce products! Big Ups, guys :)

But now the sad news. Still no downloadable version of the Mentor series training DVD, and DAZ/UPS have put up the price of the shipping ...

United Parcel ServiceWorldwide Expedited $85.30
    Worldwide Express Saver $90.35

* sigh *

edited December 1969

markhendy said:
    United Parcel Service Worldwide Expedited $85.30

This is madness! Sending it by US Postal Service costs $3.46 to Europe. Yes, we do hope to get it downloadable soon.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    markhendy said:

This is madness! Sending it by US Postal Service costs $3.46 to Europe. Yes, we do hope to get it downloadable soon.

OK a progress report from PASS (that which replaced BasecampHQ (which in turn replaced PARC)). Says... Carl is looking at the "Store Page/Installer". Given that we are looking at over 4 gig, I suppose it is going to be chopped up a fair bit. But that's the state of play.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    markhendy said:

OK a progress report from PASS (that which replaced BasecampHQ (which in turn replaced PARC)). Says... Carl is looking at the "Store Page/Installer". Given that we are looking at over 4 gig, I suppose it is going to be chopped up a fair bit. But that's the state of play.

An update on progress.

The Bryce Mentoring DVD has been converted to a digital download, and I've just given it the go ahead to be published, so as soon as DAZ 3D's system notices this has happened it should become available in the shop.

It's take "a while" but it seems we are finally getting there. One more small step to take.

• edited December 1969

Horo said:
    markhendy said:

An update on progress.

The Bryce Mentoring DVD has been converted to a digital download, and I've just given it the go ahead to be published, so as soon as DAZ 3D's system notices this has happened it should become available in the shop.

It's take "a while" but it seems we are finally getting there. One more small step to take.

Absolutely fabulous news, and a big thank you to you guys for pushing theis through so steadfastly :)

The item seems to have disappeared from the Shop and from my wishlist right now, but I'm sure this is a side effect of Daz probably creating a new shop entry.

Thank you, guys!

edited December 1969

You are welcome.

Good news everyone, here it is Bryce Mentoring DVD

And at the time of posting. It's on special offer. What more could you ask?

Go on.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: Do you know the size of the ZIP files? Nine files could take someone on a slower network some time to download. Asking out of curiosity. Thanks for all the work getting this done.

edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    @David: Do you know the size of the ZIP files? Nine files could take someone on a slower network some time to download. Asking out of curiosity. Thanks for all the work getting this done.

Got to be about 500mb each. Given that the total volume is over 4gb. This was always the dilemma though with offering this as a digital download.

edited December 1969

You are welcome.

Go on.

That link does indeed work. However, the link to the product in either of our store does not. As it stands, the product can only be purchased using the link provided - at least for the time being.

• GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

@David: 500mb isn't too bad, about the size of a good adventure game.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    You are welcome.

Go on.

That link does indeed work. However, the link to the product in either of our store does not. As it stands, the product can only be purchased using the link provided - at least for the time being.

It's also showing in the new releases http://www.daz3d.com/new-releases/bryce-mentoring-dvd-videos-scenes-and-resources

To address the point raised by Gussnemo's question couldn't there be a hard copy version for those that can't handle massive downloads (not only due to speed but also bandwidth limits) and then the downloadable option for those that don't have such limitations?

edited December 1969

@LordHardDriven - thanks for the link. You know, we initially had asked for a hard and a soft version. At the time, only the hard option seemed feasible. Now, since shipping is more expensive than the product itself, the soft version is the only option. DAZ 3D is a digital company, it's either 1 or 0. Hopefully, this will yet again change to the double option. I would certainly embrace it.

edited December 1969

Horo said:
    @LordHardDriven - thanks for the link. You know, we initially had asked for a hard and a soft version. At the time, only the hard option seemed feasible. Now, since shipping is more expensive than the product itself, the soft version is the only option. DAZ 3D is a digital company, it's either 1 or 0. Hopefully, this will yet again change to the double option. I would certainly embrace it.

Well it would be nice to have either option. I'm not sure how it is because I've never had restricted bandwidth but I've heard of low cost packages in some countries that only give you a couple of gigs per month so for someone like that they might have to wait a month to finish downloading.