David and Horo I need your help sorting my cart

Comments

• ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

markhendy said:
    Sorry to resurrect this thread, but just tried to buy the Bruce Mentor DVD and been quoted a shipping price that more than doubles the cost of my purchase ... My mind is a bit blown and I've cancelled the transaction untill I can understand why shipping is so expensive. Having read this thread, I'm hoping that this is an anomaly:

"Shipping & Handling (United Parcel Service - Worldwide Expedited) $84.30"

I live in the UK and generally when I buy from the US the shipping charges are art most half this for packages containing 10 DVDs, for example, so I'm figuring that this can not be right.

Would it be possible to buy this as a download instead?

I have sent a query to DAZ 3D. will let you know when I receive an answer.
  • GussNemoGussNemo Posts: 1,855
    edited December 1969

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought this problem had been solved a short time ago. Or was it going to be solved but hasn't yet?

Wonder how many sales have been lost because of this.

• HoroHoro Posts: 10,117
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:

Several. We see purchases and then they get returned.

@chohole - perhaps Blaine can help. DAZ 3D is actually shooting in their own foot with this. Maybe it was rectified the last time, but not permanently.

edited November 2012

Horo said:
    GussNemo said:

Several. We see purchases and then they get returned.

@chohole - perhaps Blaine can help. DAZ 3D is actually shooting in their own foot with this. Maybe it was rectified the last time, but not permanently.

I have actually forwarded this to Daz_Kevin and he has responded to say that he in turn has passed it on to CS, so I am now waiting on a more definitive reply.

I actually took the product part way through the checkout process myself, so I could attach a screen shot of what is happening, as I am also in the UK

Post edited by Chohole on
    edited December 1969

chohole said:
    I have actually forwarded this to Daz_Kevin and he has responded to say that he in turn has passed it on to CS, so I am now waiting on a more definitive reply.

I actually took the product part way through the checkout process myself, so I could attach a screen shot of what is happening, as I am also in the UK

Thank you. Kevin is the PA head and should have an interest to get this sorted. Actually, I intended to put a comment in the PA forum about this but thought better of it. Thank you for going to all the trouble to get a screen shot - that was the bit I was too lazy to do.

edited December 1969

I got the response from Kevin within half an hour of forwarding the screenie, so it does show that a picture can be worth a 1000 words :coolsmirk:

Of course it was Friday afternoon, so I am not expecting anything further till at Least Monday.

• edited December 1969

Thanks all for your help on this ... I shall continue to watch this space.

• LordHardDrivenLordHardDriven Posts: 937
    edited December 1969

GussNemo said:
    Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought this problem had been solved a short time ago. Or was it going to be solved but hasn't yet?

They must be operating under daz time which operates outside of the normal time space continuum. In Daz time a short time ago can actually end up being a few months from now. :)

edited December 1969

They must be operating under daz time which operates outside of the normal time space continuum. In Daz time a short time ago can actually end up being a few months from now. :)

Yeah, time and DAZ-time are absolutely not related to each other. Did you also notice - the site (store and forums) was down several times yesterday.

edited December 1969

Thanks for that, Pam.

edited December 1969

Indeed, thanks Pam.

edited December 1969

Horo said:

Yeah, time and DAZ-time are absolutely not related to each other. Did you also notice - the site (store and forums) was down several times yesterday.

Yes I did, much to my frustration as I have many more demands on my time now that the wife is at home but still requiring someone to help her with most everything.

• edited December 1969

Has there been any update on this from DAZ, chohole? I just went through the checkout process again, up to the point of shipping costs, and still get only the following two prices:

"United Parcel Service
    Worldwide Expedited $84.30
    Worldwide Express Saver $88.46"

These in addition to the product price of $79.95.

Just to contrast, the Black November sale yesterday had two Cararra training packages each priced at under $40 (sale prices), but more importantly available via download. Is it feasible to host the Bryce videos online and make them available to purchasers only, for example via Dropbox?

edited December 1969

I will check again, Have not had any direct feed back yet.

David and Horo's DVD does contain a large amount of content. I just popped mine in the DVD drive and it is over 4gb so not an easy Download methinks.

• edited November 2012

Cheers. I'm lucky to have a 8Mbps connection so 4GB may take a few hours, but with a download manager I can let it trundle away in the background while I do other things.

Post edited by markhendy_399c68b726 on
  • David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

Just to let you know I've contacted my goto guy at DAZ 3D, Paul Haber, to see if this is possible to have the Bryce Mentoring DVD as a download. I will let you know what the answer is when one is forth coming. Paul is a jolly good fellow and helped me out in the past, so I expect we will be able to get a straight answer one way or the other. I can't promise it will be the answer you want. But at least we will have an answer.

edited December 1969

markhendy said:
    Cheers. I'm lucky to have a 8Gbps connection so 4GB may take a few hours, but with a download manager I can let it trundle away in the background while I do other things.

Well, that was probably meant to read 8 Mbps. Otherwise, you have an STM-64 with an equivalent of nearly 400,000 G.703 phone lines and would have a cable with 64 fibres in it. However, please note that the DAZ 3D servers give you a T1 (1536 kbps) per session at max., though you can run several sessions simultaneously.
    edited December 1969

I am still chasing on the Postage thing, but so far haven't had any more info about a solution to the problem. :red:

edited December 1969

If there is one thing Daz needs to address more then anything else it's the extremely slow response time to problems that are their fault. Ideally one would like to see them be problem free but in an imperfect world perhaps that is expecting too much. So you shoot for what's next best which is to resolve problems quickly. This business of allowing months to go by and problems not be addressed/resolved really does paint a picture that Daz doesn't care all that much about what the consumer thinks.

• David BrinnenDavid Brinnen Posts: 3,136
    edited December 1969

If there is one thing Daz needs to address more then anything else it's the extremely slow response time to problems that are their fault. Ideally one would like to see them be problem free but in an imperfect world perhaps that is expecting too much. So you shoot for what's next best which is to resolve problems quickly. This business of allowing months to go by and problems not be addressed/resolved really does paint a picture that Daz doesn't care all that much about what the consumer thinks.

I don't know. However I can reckon. And I reckon they care very much, but if they are not addressing these issues quickly, that probably demonstrates that they lack the resources to address them quickly.

edited November 2012

Yes, this is not exactly a common problem, as there are very few products in the DAZ 3D Store which require physical shipping,

Customer Service are normally very much on the ball.

edited November 2012

I think our initial reaction to an unsolved problem can be one of they don't care. And I guess from a certain perspective it can seem that is the case. But without more information we have to hope someone somewhere does care and is taking care of the problem.

As to Horo's 64 fibers, you better have a large business with large pockets in order to pay for the equipment needed to use that many fibers. And, the monthly bill for the circuits.

Post edited by GussNemo on
    edited December 1969

DAZ 3D does have potential to improve on communication.

edited November 2012

I don't know. However I can reckon. And I reckon they care very much, but if they are not addressing these issues quickly, that probably demonstrates that they lack the resources to address them quickly.

Well this is just one example, there is another one that's more near and dear to me and it's been going on since the site change and the easiest remedy would be to create another forum in Daz's list of forums. What I'm talking about is a means by which customers can know which products have been updated. This is even more important then ever with all the upgrades we've seen to Genesis everytime Daz tweaks Studio 4. There used to be a forum called Product Updates listing everything that had been updated and what was done in the update. When daz switched over to the new site, that forum was lost. Seems to me creating a new products update forum would be about the easiest problem to fix? I've asked numberous times in numberous threads in several forums and I've been told by people like Pam that Daz is aware of the problem and yet here we are months down the road from the site change and still no hint of how people can keep up on product updates. Without such an aide the only option for customers is to reset every item in their itemized purchases list. Now for a new customer or someone who has bought very little, doing that's probably not a big deal to them or Daz's servers. For someone like me though who has over 3000 items in my itemized order history it is a huge time consuming problem and it places an unnecessary strain on Daz's servers.

Post edited by LordHardDriven on
    edited November 2012

WE have been told that when the Proposed Download/Install manager, or whatever it is called, comes into being, it will be able to check for updates, if you choose to use it.

BTW there are a couple of threads where users have been keeping check of updated products.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/3885/

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/2602/

edited December 1969

Has anyone explained how this download/install manager will work? Will it be strictly for downloading/installing/checking for updates only? I've had one bad experience with this type of manager and hope never to see another one like it.

edited December 1969

IT is an Optional extra. WIll work in conjunction with the downloads, so you can download all your files using it. It helps install them as well/

I stress it is optional, also you will only need to download and install it once, Once it is on your system you can use it every time you download new files.

Any more than that I don't know. THere is a thread started by a member here. http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/11593/

edited December 1969

Thank you chohole. I see I'm not the only one with questions. Now it's time to wait and see what appears.

• edited December 1969

Horo said:
    markhendy said:
    Cheers. I'm lucky to have a 8Gbps connection so 4GB may take a few hours, but with a download manager I can let it trundle away in the background while I do other things.

Well, that was probably meant to read 8 Mbps. Otherwise, you have an STM-64 with an equivalent of nearly 400,000 G.703 phone lines and would have a cable with 64 fibres in it. However, please note that the DAZ 3D servers give you a T1 (1536 kbps) per session at max., though you can run several sessions simultaneously.

You are right, Horo. My typos and brain glitches in this thread are quite worrying. I've edited my post to correct that, thank you.

I use "Free Download Manager" usually to manage downloads from other sites, but without making some custom changes to the preferences for the DAZ downloads it uses up all the attempts allowed by trying to start up to 10 concurrent connections and then will fail to complete the download. I have to set the session count limit to no more than 4 or 5 depending on the file.

Regarding the other issue mentioned above, since my last reply, regarding updates to previously downloaded files ... I'm finding that area very frustrating right now. With the new DSON installers and updated shaders and other plugins becoming available for DS4.5, I'm faced with resetting up to 2000 downloads. Ouch!

Moreover, having already reset a few I notice that in some cases the number of files for a product has increased as well as the version number of all of them. Thank god for spreadsheets.