Tips & Tricks for Iray for newbies......

1353637383941»

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878
    Is there a way to just... shut image compression off? Or, better, flag items to be uncompressed?
  • PetraPetra Posts: 1,143
    Pet said:

Would it be better to leave the texture compression at default? I have set mine quite high but no Idea what is the best.

Is your video card running out of memory? Textures can use a lot of memory, which is why they get compressed.

I have both set to 1024 for now, but I shall see, right now I am learning Iray like mad. My head hurts but it is fun also.

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,878

I just figured out what people have been saying confusingly about morphs.

So, I sometimes parent a shirt to Ultra Bodysuit (or Supersuit, or something) so I can use spandex morphs or whatever.

I... hadn't realized that if I fit an item to the ultra bodysuit, set morphs, then delete the ultra bodysuit... the item still has those morphs. Ooooooh.

• TrishaTrisha Posts: 86

I just figured out what people have been saying confusingly about morphs.

So, I sometimes parent a shirt to Ultra Bodysuit (or Supersuit, or something) so I can use spandex morphs or whatever.

I... hadn't realized that if I fit an item to the ultra bodysuit, set morphs, then delete the ultra bodysuit... the item still has those morphs. Ooooooh.

That's a great find!  Thanks for sharing it! 

• fastbike1 said:

Daz will do that on the fly and doesn't take a lot if time to do it. See the screenshot.

I don't understand how this setting works. There doesn't seem to be any difference in texture quality or memory usage with lower numbers like 128 and 256 instead of 512 and 1024. When I modify the textures by hand there is a notable difference. Even when I use 4096 textures and use a maximum of 1024 there is more detail than when I use my 1024 textures. While the setting could be useful It may be preferable to choose which textures to make smaller rather than using a generic option. This way you can make objects that are farther use smaller textures and closer objects use larger textures.

• maiku69maiku69 Posts: 5
    ghosty12 said:

Dumor3D said:

genfro said:

But iray can handle large scenes or it will be limited by Vram like octane?

It can handle large scenes as there is more than one render mode. Under CPU, it will use system ram. Under GPU it will use VRAM. So, to get the best performance, 4GB or more of VRAM is good or you won't be able to load the scene onto the card. Then speed is proportional to the number of CUDA cores you have on your card(s). Then each card will need to load the scene. VRAM is not a combined total, but a per card total.

You can go into Hybrid mode that will use a combo a CPU and GPU and use the memory from both.. I have Iray set to use both CPU and GPU and it fairly cranks.. :)

I have the whole dome lighting here. Steps:

Load lamp
    Apply emission shader to lamp dome
    Create camera and switch to that camera
    Turn off headlamp on camera parameters
    Turn up Luminance value
    Render

Kat

After a bit of fiddling I found out the problem I was having, it seems that using a IES file causes that problem I was having with the lamp being dark on one side.. Not sure why but could be a bug, who knows.. :)

Have you set your light (on light parameters) 'two sided' to 'on'? in off position, will only light up one side

Mike

• RLPRLP Posts: 55

I don't know where to start looking so I guess a place for newbies at Iray is as good as any. I have two machines, an older Dell XPS9000 with a GT- 220 card and a XPS 8700 with a GT-730. The first machine returns a blank (actually the checkerboard indicating nothing there) if I try to do a render using the GPU. It works fine using the CPU, just about a hundred times as slow as in 3Delight. A better render actually but unuseably slow.

The newer machine gives variations on a purple blob, sometimes recognizeable as my scene (but purple) and sometimes just a few things starting to emerge when it thinks it's finished. The CPU seems to be faster than the GPU and gives the more recognizeable picture. Both boxes are just trying to render a G2 figure with hair and clothes.

The video trainers just show turn it on, set a few things and there it is. No help at all.

• The newer machine gives variations on a purple blob, sometimes recognizeable as my scene (but purple) and sometimes just a few things starting to emerge when it thinks it's finished. The CPU seems to be faster than the GPU and gives the more recognizeable picture. Both boxes are just trying to render a G2 figure with hair and clothes.

I ran into the same problem a while back, and it turned out that my AntiVirus had deleted the DLL freeimage.dll which apparently is crucial to Iray.

Simply un- and reinstalling DAZ fixed it for me.

• RePlay said:
    The newer machine gives variations on a purple blob, sometimes recognizeable as my scene (but purple) and sometimes just a few things starting to emerge when it thinks it's finished. The CPU seems to be faster than the GPU and gives the more recognizeable picture. Both boxes are just trying to render a G2 figure with hair and clothes.

I ran into the same problem a while back, and it turned out that my AntiVirus had deleted the DLL freeimage.dll which apparently is crucial to Iray.

I had this purple issue too, Kaspersky killed freeimage.dll from Daz. Use the install manager to uninstall and install Daz Studio again, it will keep your library content. Add the freeimage.dll to safe list on your antivirus to prevent to happen again.

Your GPU memory size will stablish how large your scene can be to be rendered only with GPU resources. If you have a small GPU you will need to work combined with CPU. The sharing alone can cause slowness. 

I used to work with a GTX 970 with 4gb, I needed CPU to render open scenes. Just made an upgrade to GTX 1070 with 8gb these days, now I can use only GPU. Renders that usually taken 30 minutes now render in 8 minutes. And I can use my PC to make others things. 

RePlay said:

Where is this DLL freeimage.dll? Or where should that be?

• Arnold CArnold C Posts: 740
    Pet said:

It should be in a subfolder of the main DAZ Studio installation, default path: "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray".

Arnold C said:
    Pet said:

It should be in a subfolder of the main DAZ Studio installation, default path: "C:\Program Files\DAZ 3D\DAZStudio4\libs\iray".

I thank you , I shall have a little look. Thank you:)

This has probably been covered somewhere, but I'm fairly new at Iray. Is there a file somewhere that explains what each of the setting in the Iray render menu actually does. Most of the stuff I've found here and on the youtube videos addresses a particular problem or "how to" but I keep getting weird results on some renders.

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,562

dave.smith_62783623a8 generously took the time to gather and post some good info (kind of a summary of parameters as far as DS users rendering in Iray goes):

https://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1769416/#Comment_1769416

Hope this helps.

- Greg

Thanks. So much of the stuff I've found seems to be for things well beyond what I've even tried or else people bragging about how fast their monster computer is. I'm mostly trying to get past grainy renders and weird lighting.

• vintorixvintorix Posts: 220

I have what I thin is a simple question (but you never know!).

Where do I put my Ambient Occusion map from Substance painter?

?

• Szark said:

Here is a scene that uses Scene Only. The background colour you see is just a background colour provided by the Environment Pane > Backdrop > Colour.

I'm late to this conversation, but I don't have 'backdrop>Colour' in any of the render settings.   You ARE referencing the render settings are you?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

• knzflpmu said:
    Szark said:

Here is a scene that uses Scene Only. The background colour you see is just a background colour provided by the Environment Pane > Backdrop > Colour.

I'm late to this conversation, but I don't have 'backdrop>Colour' in any of the render settings.   You ARE referencing the render settings are you?

It's the Environment pane - Windows>Panes(Tabs)>Environment.

• mjc1016 said:
    Tobor said:

Lights based on geometries tend to slow down Iray, especially for those without CUDA acceleration, so while these are certainly useful as lighting sources, the caveat about slower renders should always be mentioned. Iray must calculate the exitance for each triangle on the geometry, and on large or compound shapes, that can be a lot of facets, with the light going in every which direction. The average D|S user doesn't have a 1500+ core GPU to cut complex scenes down to size -- I myself am still using a PC with only 500 CUDA cores, so efficiency in scene setup is a primary concern for me. 

One way around it...or at least to lower the impact.  Use the smallest number of polys.  That would be a plane with no divisions (that ends up as 2 triangles).

What's the geometry of a spotlight selected to circle or square?  Would a square be only two triangles that are enlarged as you change the size setting?  My own experiments confirm that Daz's spotlights render much faster than meshlights of the same size and light output.

Thanks for your answer.

• knzflpmu said:
    Szark said:

It's the Environment pane - Windows>Panes(Tabs)>Environment.

Aha...got it.   Thanks for the quick reply.

• prixatprixat Posts: 1,585
    knzflpmu said:
    mjc1016 said:
    Tobor said:

Lights based on geometries tend to slow down Iray, especially for those without CUDA acceleration, so while these are certainly useful as lighting sources, the caveat about slower renders should always be mentioned. Iray must calculate the exitance for each triangle on the geometry, and on large or compound shapes, that can be a lot of facets, with the light going in every which direction. The average D|S user doesn't have a 1500+ core GPU to cut complex scenes down to size -- I myself am still using a PC with only 500 CUDA cores, so efficiency in scene setup is a primary concern for me. 

One way around it...or at least to lower the impact.  Use the smallest number of polys.  That would be a plane with no divisions (that ends up as 2 triangles).

What's the geometry of a spotlight selected to circle or square?  Would a square be only two triangles that are enlarged as you change the size setting?  My own experiments confirm that Daz's spotlights render much faster than meshlights of the same size and light output.

Thanks for your answer.

I expect the shapes available in a spotlight are "perfect", that is mathematically specified shapes with no polys involved.

Cinema4D, for example, has the same option for it's primitives allowing me to use a 6 poly sphere, and tell the renderer to swap it for geometrically perfect one.