Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• Design Anvil - Razor42Design Anvil - Razor42 Posts: 1,234
    edited November 2012

Thanks for the Beta 8 email, I will download it for a look through.

Tried for some more conventional facial and head hair with some character work I have been doing.

Really happy with the result.

I did have a problem with painting hair onto a third hair object on a heavily morphed Genesis Head.
    The paint brush wouldn't accurately paint all the surfaces. I'm pretty sure your aware of this type of issue.

For a workaround I added a new unmorphed Genesis figure to my scene and added the hair object to the new figure. Painted the hair on as normal then created the hair item. I then copied the morphs and pose from genesis one to the new zeroed genesis.
    Then changed the Parent object of the hair in the Parameters tab to the original morphed genesis. And deleted the newer Genesis.

Any way here are some new renders using the plugin.

BanditCLOSUPDAZ.jpg
    1000 x 1072 - 184K
    BanditwithBGDAZ.jpg
    1000 x 970 - 123K
    Post edited by Design Anvil - Razor42 on
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    ... since I was use Mil Horse SE, it did not recognize neck or head in surface selector, so had to use Mane 1 and Mane 2...

Is this the free model on the daz store?
    Hopefully will get chance to look into compatibility with they older models in next weeks, finally the end of the list of things I need to address does not seem to far off...
  • futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:

I did have a problem with painting hair onto a third hair object on a heavily morphed Genesis Head.
    The paint brush wouldn't accurately paint all the surfaces. I'm pretty sure your aware of this type of issue.

If this is the the multiple UV issue then it was fixed in beta 8?
  • GoneGone Posts: 833
    edited December 1969

A couple more from me.

The guy has 3 hair nodes and was painted on a multi-UV mapped character so that issue seems to have been dealt with.

I wonder if the issue with Razor is the texture alignment problem I mentioned earlier with the eyebrows?

Faith.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 361K
    GuyBeardBrow.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 403K
  • Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Really nice images!!

• edited December 1969

StevieC said:
    ... since I was use Mil Horse SE, it did not recognize neck or head in surface selector, so had to use Mane 1 and Mane 2...

Hopefully will get chance to look into compatibility with they older models in next weeks, finally the end of the list of things I need to address does not seem to far off...
    The Millennium horse has lots of extra geometry for the mane, forelock and tail which causes problems for adding hair. I used Hex to delete it and I think Morphing Clothes will add the morphs again. I haven't tried the figure in DS yet.
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    StevieC said:

The Millennium horse has lots of extra geometry for the mane, forelock and tail which causes problems for adding hair. I used Hex to delete it and I think Morphing Clothes will add the morphs again. I haven't tried the figure in DS yet.

Just setting them invisible isn't enough...but I thought there were some morphs for turning those parts on/off or am I confusing that with the 'full' horse?

• StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

I don't have the full Mil Horse, but I'm getting it to work. Futurebiscuits, the one main problem I'm having with version 8 is that while I'm editing a hair style, as soon as I go back to the style section and try to move the curl slider, the hair goes extremely crazy, and super long, and when I try and fix it by combing and cutting it back to its original shape, it freezes and crashes Garibaldi and Daz. The undo button does not work like in version 7......have to start all over again.....

• MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    A couple more from me.

Great job with these images especially the short female hair style... it looks great :)

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    A couple more from me.

Great job with these images especially the short female hair style... it looks great :)

Thanks.

Sometimes I think I almost know what I'm doing - then I wake up. :lol:

• DarwinsMishapDarwinsMishap Posts: 4,074
    edited November 2012

I haven't downloaded the newest beta yet, and I haven't figured out how to use texture maps to add color to the hair yet, but I played with just the basic settings to get a realistic colored hair set- I call it bad hair day. XD

bad_hair_day.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 689K
    Post edited by DarwinsMishap on
  • BrumitDBrumitD Posts: 235
    edited November 2012

Trying out different tools and getting a feel for version .8, the plugin gets better with every new version. Created one map and used the tools to the change the hairs in each area. I found the brush to be very useful.

gcatgirlchange.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 442K
    Post edited by BrumitD on
  • shaaeliashaaelia Posts: 613
    edited December 1969

Great render! :-)

edited December 1969

Thank you Shaaelia, here is another render , I was trying out adding textures to color the fur on AM's Saber-tooth Tiger

meet_sammy1asa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 479K
    edited December 1969

another great render :-) Love the fur

edited December 1969

Next up.

WildStyle.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 419K
    JBHair.jpg
    1195 x 1195 - 464K
    edited December 1969

The first hair looks great, and the second hair is funky :-)

• ErdehelErdehel Posts: 386
    edited December 1969

What skin did you use for the first pic? Hair and skin look so realistic...

edited December 1969

Thanks for the comments.

The first one is M5 heroic and loads with the Phillip hairy skin. I switched it to Phillip shaved. Other than that, it's all default.

Funky was the intent. I have another funky cooking now. :-)

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Beta 7 still. Styling the same ol' cut in a yet another different way. Windows Vista 32-bit, 2 GB RAM, disc cache turned on, working fine =) MOAR spotlights, a spec only gel light, a further customised shader mixer skin shader (fresnel specular attenuation and fake scatter, not bad, though I still miss the AO because I love the contrast'y depth it gives).

The brows aren't Garibaldi, though (they're from that old Mec4D fibermesh testing thread). I find eyebrows the most difficult thing to make with Garibaldi... Anyone share any tips?

wavy_IGspotlights+.jpg
    618 x 800 - 116K
    edited December 1969

1 hair node.

Not sure what kind of tips you are looking for. Eyebrows would be made using the same techniques as head hair - just using smaller paint areas and shorter hair strands. But I agree that making them look right is not so easy.

HalfHair.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 353K
    edited December 2012

Working with Beta .8 and using single node. Used Dimension Theory's HDR Pro-Sets.
    Added a close up.

gpinup2bsa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 466K
    gpinup2asa.jpg
    1200 x 1293 - 456K
    Post edited by BrumitD on
    edited December 1969

Gone said:
    1 hair node.

Not sure what kind of tips you are looking for. Eyebrows would be made using the same techniques as head hair - just using smaller paint areas and shorter hair strands. But I agree that making them look right is not so easy.

Well, tips like how many hairs to generate, what root/tip thickness, and how to setup the surface shader for hair so as to decrease the shininess... the rest is brushing and re-brushing them till you're blue in the face =)

Could I also ask how did you manage to create this cut with just one node?

edited December 1969

Mustakettu85 here are a few things that I have found helpfull
    Use the selection list in styling tab to create and save area selections so that you can work with different areas of the hair.

If you are making a long hair, in the Set-up tab in addition to the face and head pick the neck, torso, and arms. Doing this allows you to style the hair over those sections with out the hairs going through them.

I like to set the hair base thickness to .03, the tip to .02, and the distribution amount to 40 to 70.

Hope this helps

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    1 hair node.

Well, tips like how many hairs to generate, what root/tip thickness, and how to setup the surface shader for hair so as to decrease the shininess... the rest is brushing and re-brushing them till you're blue in the face =)

Could I also ask how did you manage to create this cut with just one node?

The cut is pretty easy. As BrumitD noted, it's all in the selection. In this case, I selected half the hair and used the scale tool to shrink it to the scalp. Then select the other half and styled as desired. Side note, I also created a control map for the styled side of the head and plugged it into all the texture map controls in the clump and tweak panes so that all the clumping, etc would only be applied to the styled hair.

Also, you don't need to select the head and torso, etc to avoid clipping. Each of the panes has a "show all mesh" button to turn on and off everything that wasn't selected. If you have the other body parts selected, you may notice that some of the guide hairs get "stuck" in the mesh as you comb the hair into place. Without the mesh selected, the hair wont get stuck and you can turn the mesh on and off as you tweak the style.

With the last several images I've posted, I've left the root/tip widths at default. The number of hairs generated depends on the look I'm going for. Usually, I have between 150 and 300. What can I say, I just think it looks better. :-)

On the few eyebrows I've done, it's usually 50 or less.

With the hair selected in DS, you can go to the surface tab and adjust the primary and secondary specular settings. Both default to full white and you can change them to suit your needs.

So, I hope that helps.

• ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

Trying to do something like the new Neftis3D's "Jayden Fever hairstyle".

I´m sure that the fibermesh will take MUCH more time to render with raytracing. Using 12+1 raytraced light sources, this took 5 minutes to render. Sorry about the ugly shadow on eyes, but I was trying to catch to hair shadows over the forehead and temples.

It was drafted over another preexisting garibaldi hair, 15 minutes of work.

qq.jpg
    300 x 400 - 61K
    edited December 2012

Gone said:

The cut is pretty easy. As BrumitD noted, it's all in the selection. In this case, I selected half the hair and used the scale tool to shrink it to the scalp. Then select the other half and styled as desired. Side note, I also created a control map for the styled side of the head and plugged it into all the texture map controls in the clump and tweak panes so that all the clumping, etc would only be applied to the styled hair.
    --snip--

With the hair selected in DS, you can go to the surface tab and adjust the primary and secondary specular settings. Both default to full white and you can change them to suit your needs.

Thank you, this is definitely helpful! I didn't know selection also affects the "general" tools like the scale one. And the specular colour suggestion is awesome, I was trying to adjust intensities but got all confused...

I like to set the hair base thickness to .03, the tip to .02, and the distribution amount to 40 to 70.

Thanks! I'm jotting this down.

BTW speaking about long hair... How do you deal with posing? It seems that however you pose Genesis, it's in the default pose in the Garibaldi window.

Post edited by Mustakettu85 on
    edited December 1969

The model should be in whatever pose you applied when you first enter Garibaldi. If you change the pose in DS, then go to the setup screen and hit the "update surfaces" button. The pose will be updated in Garibaldi.

edited December 1969

Gone said:
    The model should be in whatever pose you applied when you first enter Garibaldi. If you change the pose in DS, then go to the setup screen and hit the "update surfaces" button. The pose will be updated in Garibaldi.

Cool, thanks a lot!

edited December 1969

Gone, BrumitD and ecocam - great renders. Made me think of a few to try out.

Brilliant tips too - can't wait to try them out :-)

This discussion has been closed.