Comments

• SzarkSzark Posts: 10,634
    edited December 1969

no it's just hiccups cough, cough. :)

• Daz Jack TomalinDaz Jack Tomalin Posts: 13,086
    edited December 1969

Szark said:
    no it's just hiccups cough, cough. :)

That explains the vegetarian trolls breath, under the bed ;)

edited December 1969

Arrr then make him drink some antifreeze flavoured Listerine that should sort out the breath.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...ever think about doing a bridge?

Here's one where I live which could be a very nice candidate.

st-johns-bridge-oregon-bob-christopher.jpg
    900 x 597 - 79K
    St_johns_supports.jpg
    474 x 385 - 174K
    St_johns_1.jpg
    206 x 244 - 7K
  • Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

That's a nice looking bridge

edited November 2012

...one of our local landmarks. Most who don't live here only know about the Tacoma Narrows Bridge (the infamous Galloping Gertie). but the St John's is true architectural gem which (IMO) outclasses even the Golden Gate in an aesthetic sense with it's graceful Gothic lines.

Jack, you have to model this.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
  • LycanthropeXLycanthropeX Posts: 2,287
    edited December 1969
    edited December 1969

Agreed.. will see what I can do, it's 'right up my street though' with the gothic style ;)

edited December 1969

Problem with *such* a big prop is to try and think of what context they will be used in. Do you keep it low-res, for the wide shots? or do you detail it so people could use it up close (like under the bridge, on the bridge).. do you mix it up and go for somewhere in the middle?

The model that I make then has to be able to be used in a surrounding environment. Is there one suitable already available? do I have to make that as well? If you do, you're not only creating a standalone prop but a whole surrounding set too.

It's all these things which has to be considered before I start on big exterior pieces and often why they're left on the shelf for the time being.

edited December 1969

Problem with *such* a big prop is to try and think of what context they will be used in. Do you keep it low-res, for the wide shots? or do you detail it so people could use it up close (like under the bridge, on the bridge).. do you mix it up and go for somewhere in the middle?

The model that I make then has to be able to be used in a surrounding environment. Is there one suitable already available? do I have to make that as well? If you do, you're not only creating a standalone prop but a whole surrounding set too.

It's all these things which has to be considered before I start on big exterior pieces and often why they're left on the shelf for the time being.

another issue with the big mac bridge is that its over 5 miles long... kinda tough to deal with in Poser scale lol

honestly i'd be more interested in a girder plate deck bridge, something that could be done modular style so you can make it any size needed, it would be a nice compliment to the parkside trains

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/90-ft-DOUBLE-TRACK-CITY-VIADUCT-BRIDGE-TALL-PIERS-12-inches-Kit-HO-Scale-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqV,!mEE8MRMnkU2BPSVjrn87g~~60_3.JPG

edited December 1969

another issue with the big mac bridge is that its over 5 miles long... kinda tough to deal with in Poser scale lol

honestly i'd be more interested in a girder plate deck bridge, something that could be done modular style so you can make it any size needed, it would be a nice compliment to the parkside trains

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/90-ft-DOUBLE-TRACK-CITY-VIADUCT-BRIDGE-TALL-PIERS-12-inches-Kit-HO-Scale-/00/s/NjAwWDgwMA==/$(KGrHqV,!mEE8MRMnkU2BPSVjrn87g~~60_3.JPG

Well, modular stuff is my bread and butter.. ;)

Sadly that link appears to be broken.. got another?

• Miss BMiss B Posts: 3,071
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...ever think about doing a bridge?

Here's one where I live which could be a very nice candidate.

What a gorgeous bridge. As Jack said, very Gothic looking. I like it!! ;-)
    edited December 1969

Well, modular stuff is my bread and butter.. ;)

Sadly that link appears to be broken.. got another?

odd it was working last night, its not working now.... i'll see if i can find more pics

edited November 2012

basically just an open deck girder plate design, often used on old city elevated train lines

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/LLVWKJRDWbg/0.jpg

Post edited by LycanthropeX on
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited November 2012

How detailed would you like the model, LX?

If it was going to be used only in the distance shots, one could bake a lightweight one using a texture map for most of the girders... however if you were going to do closeups of birdnests in the girders, fights in the beams, car chases between the pylons, etc then you'd probably want the near ones (at least) to be fully modelled including every rivet (to say nothing of the actual rails on top and the sleepers... high-poly model sufficient for tying people to the tracks? ;-) ).

Devil's in the details X).

Post edited by M F M on
    edited December 1969

i'm a detail freak, i like to get in close and see all the flakes of rust

edited December 1969

basically just an open deck girder plate design, often used on old city elevated train lines

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/LLVWKJRDWbg/0.jpg

Ah gotcha.. thanks. I have something like that on the list already as it happens.. ;)

edited December 1969

i'm a detail freak, i like to get in close and see all the flakes of rust

Amen to that!

edited December 1969

looking forward to the girder plate bridge. I've got something planned for the parkside passenger car

edited December 1969

and I am just a freak

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    and I am just a freak

Don't forget the 'flakes of rust'! :lol:

edited December 1969

and i thought he was a rusty flake

edited December 1969

Yep and proud

edited December 1969

Szark said:
    Yep and proud

Yea, we're all flakes around here Szark, you're in good company ;)

edited December 1969

Yeah "rusty" upset me a but....

..corn flakes doen't rust.

edited December 1969

would you prefer frosty flake?

edited December 1969

or Crunchy Nut? lol

edited December 1969