The Twinkies and Lime Jello Complaint Thread -- Now With More Squirrels!

Comments

• SickleYieldSickleYield Posts: 7,629
    edited December 1969

Oh, yuck. I'm sorry you had such a terrible day.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,569
    edited December 1969

This seems like it should work well...

...high speed rotary Q-Tip.
    edited December 1969

...as of late, they seem to occur with some regularity.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:

I guess it's really hard to replace a job in graphic arts in this economy?

• ps1borgps1borg Posts: 12,776
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK , ever have one of those days when you wondered why you ever bothered to get out of bed?

...well I did today.

Stared off fairly benign save for the bus being a few minutes late but still made my connection. Didn't win Wednesday's Megabucks draw, but that's pretty normal considering the astronomical odds.

About mid morning however things began to go south. My supervisor has been on vacation sonce before the holiday and will not return until next week. Hence I must manage not only my accounting duties, but also the on floor operations for our major client as well. So under just a bit of excess pressure than usual. Now add to this having to close the monthly accounting for both my primary client and the digital print department and the "pressure cooker" effect begins to kick in.

So out of the blue, a special and sizable print job is dropped in my lap by one of our major clients. It is not a simple "reprint" using art we already have on file, but, an entirely new job with new artwork. It only gets "better from here as the client's rep sends an email with the art attached, but gives absolutely no details or specs for the job, then takes an extended holiday so he cannot be reached to field any questions I have. Nobody else at the client's offices is able to help either, so the project, which apparently needs to be completed by month's end (Friday), sits on hold for several days.

Enter my DP manager, who begins ride me about this as he "expects" that I should know what I am doing (when in truth I have no idea since I never handled a project like this before). I try to tell him that I have pretty much been blindsided by this, yet he becomes more insistent, raising his voice and becoming even more demanding. Of course this escalates until I finally throw up my hands and pull up the initial email which gives absolutely no details or instructions about how this project is to be handled. The last time a revision to this product was made (a couple years ago) it was handled by the one supervisor (mentioned above) who is currently on vacation.

So basically I pretty much feel I was hung out to dry, not intentionally, but more by circumstance. However, apparently I'm "supposed" to "know" how to coordinate the project, while at the same time making sure that, daily orders are being processed and shipped on schedule, related jobs/tasks are completed, and all while at the same time compiling tracking and billing data for the month end close which all needs to be turned in next Monday.

As if that wasn't enough, after I left for the evening, the bus that I take from my workplace to the transit station didn't show up, forcing several of us to stand there in the icy cold rain (no shelter at the stop) for over twenty five minutes. I finally gave up and started walking.

...and wouldn't you know it, when I was between bus stops, that was when the bus finally went by. So ended up cold wet and disgusted, finally getting home more than a half hour later than usual (having missed all my other connections), after a day I would rather like to forget about.

...and I'm all out of hot cocoa.

...really hoping one of the number lines I purchased for the Saturday Megabucks draw will come through for me. I really need a break.,

Sucks big time, art needs detailed brief or too much time gets wasted *sigh* is the same all over then, impossible tasks with improbable deadlines, as in you need an improbability drive to get there :)

co.png
    156 x 123 - 51K
  • M F MM F M Posts: 1,388
    edited December 1969

Well that sucketh big time...

{{KK}}

edited December 1969

My cab is late, should have walked home. That is my complaint.

edited November 2012

Kyoto Kid said:

I guess it's really hard to replace a job in graphic arts in this economy?
    ...where I live we are lagging woefully behind the rest of the nation in the so called "economic recovery". Part of it has to do with the fact there is no real solid industrial base here. Oregon was originally known for one thing, Timber. When that went belly up, nothing really replaced it. Oh there were the "Silicon Forest" days back in the 90s, but after the dot com bubble went *pop*, most of the related tech jobs evaporated.

What manufacturing sector jobs that we still had were eventually farmed out overseas. This left primarily low paying "at will" service industry occupations (like where I work) and high-end professional positions that require extensive education, advanced degrees, and good connections. Heck, what I used to do now requires a 6 year degree in the field just to get a foot in the door. So economically we are left with two diametric extremes and almost no "middle ground".

To make matters worse, living costs here are heading towards San Francisco like levels fueled by almost unbridled upscale development and gentrification. For example, rents have soared during the last couple years to in some cases obscene levels, transit fares have recently seen the biggest single increase since the system went "public" back in the 70s, fees for basic services like water and rubbish collection have gone up (while in the case of the latter service was cut back to every two weeks). and almost every week prices at the market seem to go up and up and not just by a couple pence either. So in their quest for making Portland the most "livable" and "green" city in the eyes of the rest of the nation, our city fathers have actually made it less so for many who live here.

...and about the only real "green" is what the developers (most of which are based out of state) are pocketing.

Post edited by kyoto kid on
    edited December 1969

Whoa TV says the past 24 hours was the hottest November evah. I guess it was warm for Spring. Summer starts tomorrow :)

edited December 1969

The gentrification thing has happened where we are as well, there is a new three story townhouse down the street on sale for two million bucks, seems an obscene price for what amounts to four and a half rooms.

edited November 2012

Simple and cool Blender tute using displacement maps made from depth maps for modelling http://blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?273033-Sculpting-with-UVs-and-displacements

Post edited by ps1borg on
  • Sfariah DSfariah D Posts: 25,699
    edited December 1969

finally got my medication and I slept better than the other night. I did not want to wake up from my sleep this morning.

• TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

ps1borg said:
    Chips for lunch
    Not much that rhymes with chips
    Just lips but lips are essential
    If you got a bunch of chips for lunch

Would you like fries with that? :)
  • TJohnTJohn Posts: 11,010
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    ...OK , ever have one of those days when you wondered why you ever bothered to get out of bed?

...well I did today.

Stared off fairly benign save for the bus being a few minutes late but still made my connection. Didn't win Wednesday's Megabucks draw, but that's pretty normal considering the astronomical odds.

About mid morning however things began to go south. My supervisor has been on vacation sonce before the holiday and will not return until next week. Hence I must manage not only my accounting duties, but also the on floor operations for our major client as well. So under just a bit of excess pressure than usual. Now add to this having to close the monthly accounting for both my primary client and the digital print department and the "pressure cooker" effect begins to kick in.

So out of the blue, a special and sizable print job is dropped in my lap by one of our major clients. It is not a simple "reprint" using art we already have on file, but, an entirely new job with new artwork. It only gets "better from here as the client's rep sends an email with the art attached, but gives absolutely no details or specs for the job, then takes an extended holiday so he cannot be reached to field any questions I have. Nobody else at the client's offices is able to help either, so the project, which apparently needs to be completed by month's end (Friday), sits on hold for several days.

Enter my DP manager, who begins ride me about this as he "expects" that I should know what I am doing (when in truth I have no idea since I never handled a project like this before). I try to tell him that I have pretty much been blindsided by this, yet he becomes more insistent, raising his voice and becoming even more demanding. Of course this escalates until I finally throw up my hands and pull up the initial email which gives absolutely no details or instructions about how this project is to be handled. The last time a revision to this product was made (a couple years ago) it was handled by the one supervisor (mentioned above) who is currently on vacation.

So basically I pretty much feel I was hung out to dry, not intentionally, but more by circumstance. However, apparently I'm "supposed" to "know" how to coordinate the project, while at the same time making sure that, daily orders are being processed and shipped on schedule, related jobs/tasks are completed, and all while at the same time compiling tracking and billing data for the month end close which all needs to be turned in next Monday.

As if that wasn't enough, after I left for the evening, the bus that I take from my workplace to the transit station didn't show up, forcing several of us to stand there in the icy cold rain (no shelter at the stop) for over twenty five minutes. I finally gave up and started walking.

...and wouldn't you know it, when I was between bus stops, that was when the bus finally went by. So ended up cold wet and disgusted, finally getting home more than a half hour later than usual (having missed all my other connections), after a day I would rather like to forget about.

...and I'm all out of hot cocoa.

...really hoping one of the number lines I purchased for the Saturday Megabucks draw will come through for me. I really need a break.,

Always nice to have supervision so dim they don't know how to do anything, and also think that those who actually accomplish the work know everything. And that yelling at a problem will somehow yield a solution.
    The DP manager doesn't have pointy-hair by any chance?
    dilbert-boss.jpg
    197 x 185 - 20K
    image7.png
    184 x 175 - 60K
  • ChoholeChohole Posts: 33,604
    edited December 1969

Hmm, flashbacks to the time I had an app on my PC that gave me a "Daily DIlbert"

• MistaraMistara Posts: 38,675
    edited December 1969

Goood Moornins :heart:

so it turns out manpower experis paid me for Thanksgiving Holls. can't keep up with the rules

wheeee
    rubs hands together like the grinch

do i spend it on the last days of the rdna sale?
    or spend it on taxis and trains to go the city, see a 80 ft tree, eat waffles in Chelsea, and go to an otk party?

morningcoffeeheart.jpg
    160 x 160 - 5K
    morningcoffee.jpg
    300 x 296 - 11K
    squirlcoffee.jpg
    300 x 300 - 11K
    edited December 1969

BEERNOG !!

run run rudolf ... > Out of all the reindeers
    You know you're the mastermind
    Run run Rudolph
    Randolph ain't too far behind
    Run run Rudolph
    Santa's got to make it to town ...

edited December 1969

I passed the background check so I think I got the job!

edited December 1969

Cheers! :)

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

No real complaints, but I could sure use a music player! MP3s do NBOT play well when you're rendering...! :ahhh:

Happy Dayyyyyyyyy! :coolsmile:

edited December 1969

Congrats! (^_^)d
    edited December 1969

M F M said:

Congrats! (^_^)d

Hey, that's great! :)

• SkirikiSkiriki Posts: 4,975
    edited December 1969

"Complaint!" Ron Deviney's wondrous brushes are sucking my monetary resources. ;)

Seriously, I love it that I have been able to snag his stuff from FastGrab. So kickass!

edited November 2012

doing some math. it would take 43.80 to buy all the sale items in my rdna w/l.

i don't even know what a train ticket to the city cost these days, off/peak helps. the taxis to/from the train station will run about 25.

train 19.50 r/t.

ow, i'm gonna have to choose between the trip and the content. woahizmee lol

Post edited by Mistara on
  • starionwolfstarionwolf Posts: 3,666
    edited December 1969

Just for comparison, an Amtrak train ticket between Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD is $16.00 USD on Tuesday. I thought the price was $30 ??. Maybe Amtrak reduced the fees?

I'd love to stay and chat but I need to go do something.

edited December 1969

I think they have. My sister can ride Seattle to Portland round trip for $60, which is cheaper than the gas for a car to do that in heavy traffic. It used to be that was the one-way price.

• WoolyloachWoolyloach Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

doing some math. it would take 43.80 to buy all the sale items in my rdna w/l.

i don't even know what a train ticket to the city cost these days, off/peak helps. the taxis to/from the train station will run about 25.

train 19.50 r/t.

ow, i'm gonna have to choose between the trip and the content. woahizmee lol

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh noessssssssssssssssssss! :ahhh: :bug: :gulp:

Nearly $100 in my RDNA wishlist.. didn't count the Rendo stuff.. sigh, there it will sit. Need studio gear first. :down:

edited December 1969

whine: long island railroad is a ripoff sigh

edited December 1969

whine: long island railroad is a ripoff sigh

Well that just makes the choice easier, doesn't it? ... no otk partying for you... but on the flipside, new shinies that you can play with for the next few years ;-).
    edited December 1969

I am mad at someone. I did not know I was or why? I do not feel mad. I have a bit of a heartburn and a hint of a headache coming on.

This discussion has been closed.