Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

From what I can see from all the threads on it, it seems that this product makes the most difference with the earlier generations. I did a couple dragons, the differences are subtle but there.  I used it on a Genesis figure and it made a big difference.  I will try and do a side by side comparison when I get home from work and after dinner tonight.  I used the Waverly character.  I spent most of the last three days trying to render the darn scene without it causing a kernal exception.  I finally narrowed down what was causing it but not without a great deal of swearing and frustration.  It wasn't even that complicated a scene!

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

What exactly is a kernal exception? I read that you were experiencing that. Glad you got it sorted out. smiley

To me, the Genesis characters are fast with a click, but I have the V3Digitimes product for each of the generations and enjoy the clicks system where you can address each option individually. I'll do a couple more comparisons directly of those two. The A2R definitely darkens the characters and you would have to readjust your lighting accordingly, so the tip I would offer definitely is to apply the changes FIRST before you get your scene lighting set up. 

Honestly, I am still not sure what it is but it has something to do with the Nvidea card (which is ridiculous if you ask me since its supposed to work WITH the card)  I haven't updated the Nvidea card since I have been reading about a bunch of issues when its updated.  And I just don't have time for that particular bundle of hassles.

edited November 2016

So here is the test comparison between Waverlys (Genesis).  The one on the right (my right) is the anagenessis product the one on my left is the Iray Converter for Genesis. Used Ultra Genessis Studio Environment 8 Bright for the light and nothing else. The one on my left has seem marks on the arms, that's kind of odd...

Waverly Test.jpg
    2045 x 1636 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

Hmmm, haven't hit the seam problem with A2R (yet.) When I get done with the render I'm working on, let me test Waverly. (I think I have her.) I don't care for that hot gold that A2R uses for one of the settings. I can really see that in your render. V3D goes more red, but again, I love the easy color selection that pops up. If anyone doesn't have the Iray Converter by V3D, I'll be happy to show you some screenshots. (let me know, either PM me or post here.)

The seam problem isn't with A2R its with the converter.  Sorry not sure if I was clear on which is which.  the one closest to my avatar is the Iray converter and the other one is A2R.  Its definitely much warmer.  And I'm using a fairly cool bluish light.

edited November 2016

Okay, doing Waverly with default Iray lighting, ISO 110 and Exposure Value 14.25. Will post here as it comes up.

First, with just Uber Base so she can be rendered in Iray. I will take that off before applying either product.

This is V3D applying the GnT 03 option. (You chose 1-3, 3 gives the most constant results between characters.) I did NOT change the lighting.

Then you do gloss. I did the max one click, which was glossy layered weight 10. (Just to show you what you can do.) Going to take that down a bit. Next to it will be the .50 which I will use.

Now, WITHOUT CHANGING THE LIGHTING (the same all the way through) all I had to do was go to the very first option (Base Colors-Brightness) and choose the first one, which said Max White Brightness, and tried that. It went a bit whiter- bluish. (Look below at the fourth and fifth thumbs, you'll see it better.)

Now I'll show you scattering effects 1 vs 4. Skipping 2 and 3.

waverly Uber.jpg
    435 x 500 - 72K
    waverly GNt03.jpg
    435 x 500 - 68K
    waverly glosslay10.jpg
    435 x 500 - 68K
    waverly glosslay.5.jpg
    435 x 500 - 67K
    waverlylMaxBrightness.jpg
    435 x 500 - 68K
    waverlyScat1.jpg
    435 x 500 - 69K
    waverlyScat4.jpg
    435 x 500 - 67K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • fixmypcmikefixmypcmike Posts: 19,565

A kernal panic is the Unix/Linux/MacOSX equivalent of a Windows STOP error/Blue Screen of Death.

edited November 2016

Thanks Mike!

Okay, tested the Translucency Strengths and .15 went pretty light, so doing .30. Then, just to show you what it does, Under Gloss Management, step by step roughness decrease, clicked 3 times. (Just playing around.)  Then going to take that back off.

This is the increase the Skin Bump 25%.

And this is Waverly V3D final, without changing the light setup. (Which you would do when you start changing skin tones.) EDIT: I'll say it again, the forum is changing image colors/intensity. I just did the same render, opened this posted one in a new window, and on the screen at the same time (in other words, SAME MONITOR, so not the callibration) the forum one is much darker and much redder.

EDIT: So I brightened the render (increased the ISO) so you can see what it really looks like.

waverlytranstren.30.jpg
    435 x 500 - 68K
    waverlyGlossRoughdecre.jpg
    435 x 500 - 68K
    waverlySkinBumpPlus25.jpg
    435 x 500 - 68K
    waverlyFinal.jpg
    435 x 500 - 85K
    waverlyFinalLITE.jpg
    435 x 500 - 101K
    Post edited by Novica on

A kernal panic is the Unix/Linux/MacOSX equivalent of a Windows STOP error/Blue Screen of Death.

It certainly kills Studio lol.

edited November 2016

The seam problem isn't with A2R its with the converter.  Sorry not sure if I was clear on which is which.  the one closest to my avatar is the Iray converter and the other one is A2R.  Its definitely much warmer.  And I'm using a fairly cool bluish light.

Hmm, I didn't have a seam. (You were very clear, it was just me.)

Here's Waverly with A2R, using the brighter light that I used in the very last render of Waverly. No tweaks, this is out of the box. She is VERY red. 

waverlyA2Rdefault.jpg
    435 x 500 - 94K
    Post edited by Novica on

Yes she is definitely redder in my comparison as well.

edited November 2016

So.... would you like a preview of another wonderful character heading to the store? Darwins' Schtuff thread has some great renders, I am honored to explore the various makeups and versatility of the upcoming character, Damen. (cruise through that thread for more examples.)

To show the versatility, I chose to render him first as a refined gentleman/Prince. Contrast that to a kick-booty Apocalyptic bad guy. I'll be posting more portraits with the various makeups soon. Let me tell you ahead of time what you're going to really like about this guy:

First the different fantasy eyes.

Second, the brows have different thickness options. The Prince render shows you the refined brows, a bit thinner. The dragon render, he has the thickest brows. You really change your character that way. 

Third, love those cheekbones and dimples! I like the common-man look. But when you get into those makeups, there's nothing common about him. DarwinsMishap did a splendid job showing those over on his thread, but I'll do some too this week. Stay tuned! 

Compare these brows and look:

And a total different look! He's quite versatile!

Title:  Need A Bigger Fist

damencouple.jpg
    467 x 600 - 224K
    damenHeadshotVig.jpg
    567 x 600 - 261K
    damenDragon2.jpg
    695 x 800 - 516K
    damenDragon.jpg
    695 x 800 - 538K
    Post edited by Novica on

I love every single one of his characters. and own all but two but they are on the list lol.

Ah, going to be a long night. Working on Zbrush while watching the election results. Zbrush is more appealing! I am posting tips periodically in the Zbrush thread here in the Art Studio forum. If any of you are polished users, input / tips is always appreciated over there. 

• Thank you for sharing Damen!  He looks great in your renders. :) 

He's definitely a lot of fun! I love the variety of options.

edited November 2016

It's always nice to chat with the vendors when featuring their products. Yesterday V3Digitimes followed up from a previous question I had on selecting colors (it was the screen resolution I had, part of my screen blocked some options)  just to be sure I was a happy camper. You can tell which PAs really want to work with people, that question was from last October lol! (Great memory there V3D!)  

I highly recommend V3Digitimes productsfor Iray conversions,  for ease of use and results. I've learned a lot by looking at what's changed when I apply the settings too- there's so many in the Surfaces tabs that's it's really nice to have all these clickable options. 

The converters come in a bundle for Genesis and Generation 4 and includes the anatomical aspects. I was looking at my Genesis characters, it's been awhile so I may start exploring those again.  

Post edited by Novica on

I've been very happy with V3D's converters they work very well for me.

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049

I've been very happy with V3D's converters they work very well for me.

Me too!

• Novica said:

This pic reminds me of "Jamie Fraser" of Outlander fame just need a longer tussle of hair and some Scottish tartan.

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,553

Very nice render. I like this character and will definitely be purchasing him

This pic reminds me of "Jamie Fraser" of Outlander fame just need a longer tussle of hair and some Scottish tartan.

I can see the resemblence!

Wow, check out Fast Grab if you don't have all the character bundles! It's the 6's starter bundles-  Scott, Ninive, Callie, Darius, Monique, Keiko, etc!

We're going to do a Render The Vendor this week / weekend, it's been awhile since we've done one. Want to showcase Marshian.  Always delightful on the forums and very helpful, so if you have used any of Marshian's products, please post the renders here. They don't have to be new ones either. (And @Marshian, feel free to post any you have too, which haven't been show previously as promos. And any tips you have!) 

I don't have any renders done, I own 15 of them and am buying the Above the Clouds Nimbostratus (Iray) today, may feature it. It doesn't matter if we showcase the same products either, render what you want to do and have fun!

Okay, I'm using Light Up The Dark Daz Studio Lights, I haven't done 3DL in SO long, but let's see what I can do. 

Great excuse for me to get to using the ones I haven't tried yet too.  I have bunches of his stuff lol.

I was trying to look up Adam's great post about the 3DL settings and it's in the forum archives, 404.  crying  I do remember shading rate of .20, I think bucket size was 32, etc. We'll see what I come up with. If it doesn't look good I'll ask for help.

edited November 2016

This is the Above the Fog and it comes with both 3Delight and Iray.  It makes a great spooky scene!

No Swimming No Fishing 3 No Filter.jpg
    2045 x 1636 - 1M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,092
    edited November 2016

Here's a contribution to your Marshian show: these (oldish) renders use his Kaleidoscope product.

ETA: I made these when I first bought the Kaleidoscope and intended to make a lot more images, but my experiments stalled when I encountered a bug in 3Delight rendering involving reflections (and actually shadows too) of instances of high resolution models. I raised a bug report (which still hasn't been closed) then kind of lost interest for a while. I really should have another go - the product works perfectly well for non-instanced models. I wonder if it can be made to work with Iray? Hmmm...

Regimental-Dinner.jpg
    1024 x 720 - 525K
    Kaleidoscope-RasPalace-FogCam-B.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 556K
    Post edited by MelanieL on
This discussion has been closed.