Announcing: Daz Deals Browser Add-on

191012141574

Comments

  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,223

    Ditto. It has made me more determined to put that content to work also!

  • The cart percent thing does not appear to work on gift card purchases.

  • The cart percent thing does not appear to work on gift card purchases.

    Hrm... It used to. Could you let me know what browser you're using and what version of the extension? Also, are the other percentages showing up on products in the cart? Thanks!

  • pdspds Posts: 501
    lx said:

    The amount I've spent was terrifying. I knew it would be, but I made myself look anyway. Please don't remove the feature - it's only made me more determined to do something useful with all that.. stuff.

    I agree with this. While it's definitely helped to bring my spending to a screeching halt while I think about how many times I could have bought Marvelous Designer, etc. by now, it's also made me much more determined to get some decent use out of the many many shinies I bought on a whim because pretty.

    Yeah, I knew I'd been spending a lot and I've only been here less than a year, but this definitely demonstrated to me I'm on the wrong side of ths equation. Time to give serious consideration to developing product creation skills or this hobby will bankrupt me over the long haul.

  • PDS... content creation development and publishing has been on my short list for a while now. Of course... the courses that teach you how to do this are all fairly expensive! :) 

    I think I picked up an older "How to Create a Store Published Ready Dress," tutorial for about $5... I've got to remember to look into that... but I think step one is "Buy this other software that helps you create content for publication, and is therefore very expensive..." 

    :) 

     

  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,374
    pds said:
    lx said:

    The amount I've spent was terrifying. I knew it would be, but I made myself look anyway. Please don't remove the feature - it's only made me more determined to do something useful with all that.. stuff.

    I agree with this. While it's definitely helped to bring my spending to a screeching halt while I think about how many times I could have bought Marvelous Designer, etc. by now, it's also made me much more determined to get some decent use out of the many many shinies I bought on a whim because pretty.

    Yeah, I knew I'd been spending a lot and I've only been here less than a year, but this definitely demonstrated to me I'm on the wrong side of ths equation. Time to give serious consideration to developing product creation skills or this hobby will bankrupt me over the long haul.

    Over the short haul if you're not careful!  laugh 

    Dana

  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 8,040

    Oh no don't remove it!  But having it off as default would be awesome.  I'm glad I know, I needed to see it.  I would just prefer that certain people don't look over my shoulder and see it.  Even though I use money I make from another hobby to pay for this addiction and not household money, I prefer not to have that conversation.

    Same here. We usually discuss large purchases before I make them, even though the money I use isn't household money. But I think someone would go apoplectic if he realized I've spent more than double the cost of the computer here at DAZ.
    laugh

  • lxlx Posts: 2,965
    edited November 2016

    PDS... content creation development and publishing has been on my short list for a while now. Of course... the courses that teach you how to do this are all fairly expensive! :) 

    I think I picked up an older "How to Create a Store Published Ready Dress," tutorial for about $5... I've got to remember to look into that... but I think step one is "Buy this other software that helps you create content for publication, and is therefore very expensive..." 

    :) 

     

    There isn't actually a paywall blocking off content creation; people who want you to pay them just make it seem that way.

    Blender is completely free and while some like it some don't, objectively it can do basically everything any other piece of software can do, if you want to create DS content. There are also a billion free tutorials for it (I've actually never used any other than its manual, and for creating Genesis morphs and clothing I used tutorials posted in forum threads on this site. Sickleyield's posts especially come to mind as something to search for.) 

    I want to get Marvelous Designer 6 because I did the free trial and found it super intuitive and just easy to get things done with. But while I've been misspending all my money here instead of saving for it, I have learned to create and dynamically drape clothing in Blender for free - it's just not AS good and more annoying for me to learn. But I can do it, for free.

    Paying for someone to tell you how to get rich in DS may be easier, and everyone likes to have Zbrush written on their product page for some reason, but neither are actually necessary to get anything done.

    Post edited by lx on
  • PetercatPetercat Posts: 2,144

    Oh...
    My...
    God...
    I just looked at my total spent.
    Worse than the time I walked in on my sister in the bathroom when I was seven...
    Will take longer to recover from the trauma, as well.

  • lx said:

    PDS... content creation development and publishing has been on my short list for a while now. Of course... the courses that teach you how to do this are all fairly expensive! :) 

    I think I picked up an older "How to Create a Store Published Ready Dress," tutorial for about $5... I've got to remember to look into that... but I think step one is "Buy this other software that helps you create content for publication, and is therefore very expensive..." 

    :) 

     

    There isn't actually a paywall blocking off content creation; people who want you to pay them just make it seem that way.

    Blender is completely free and while some like it some don't, objectively it can do basically everything any other piece of software can do, if you want to create DS content. There are also a billion free tutorials for it (I've actually never used any other than its manual, and for creating Genesis morphs and clothing I used tutorials posted in forum threads on this site. Sickleyield's posts especially come to mind as something to search for.) 

    I want to get Marvelous Designer 6 because I did the free trial and found it super intuitive and just easy to get things done with. But while I've been misspending all my money here instead of saving for it, I have learned to create and dynamically drape clothing in Blender for free - it's just not AS good and more annoying for me to learn. But I can do it, for free.

    Paying for someone to tell you how to get rich in DS may be easier, and everyone likes to have Zbrush written on their product page for some reason, but neither are actually necessary to get anything done.

    Agreed. I have seen SY's tutorials on DeviantArt... 

    I suppose the biggest challenge starting out is just figuring out what needs to be put together to get started. I've got Carrara and Hexagon - and I'm learning how to make d-formers into Morphs. I've created a fairly complex object from primitives in Carrara and exported it to .obj so it could be imported into DAZ studio... so, I've already taken the first step, I guess. My stuff still isn't ready to be published as a Freebie, though. 

    I gotta spend some more time on Carrara. 

  • lxlx Posts: 2,965
    lx said:

    PDS... content creation development and publishing has been on my short list for a while now. Of course... the courses that teach you how to do this are all fairly expensive! :) 

    I think I picked up an older "How to Create a Store Published Ready Dress," tutorial for about $5... I've got to remember to look into that... but I think step one is "Buy this other software that helps you create content for publication, and is therefore very expensive..." 

    :) 

     

    There isn't actually a paywall blocking off content creation; people who want you to pay them just make it seem that way.

    Blender is completely free and while some like it some don't, objectively it can do basically everything any other piece of software can do, if you want to create DS content. There are also a billion free tutorials for it (I've actually never used any other than its manual, and for creating Genesis morphs and clothing I used tutorials posted in forum threads on this site. Sickleyield's posts especially come to mind as something to search for.) 

    I want to get Marvelous Designer 6 because I did the free trial and found it super intuitive and just easy to get things done with. But while I've been misspending all my money here instead of saving for it, I have learned to create and dynamically drape clothing in Blender for free - it's just not AS good and more annoying for me to learn. But I can do it, for free.

    Paying for someone to tell you how to get rich in DS may be easier, and everyone likes to have Zbrush written on their product page for some reason, but neither are actually necessary to get anything done.

    Agreed. I have seen SY's tutorials on DeviantArt... 

    I suppose the biggest challenge starting out is just figuring out what needs to be put together to get started. I've got Carrara and Hexagon - and I'm learning how to make d-formers into Morphs. I've created a fairly complex object from primitives in Carrara and exported it to .obj so it could be imported into DAZ studio... so, I've already taken the first step, I guess. My stuff still isn't ready to be published as a Freebie, though. 

    I gotta spend some more time on Carrara. 

    It depends on what exactly you're trying to do, but in terms of modelling it's basically just repetition. I spent hours labouring over making fairly basic objects like chairs and basic clothing, then as I continued making more of them became aware of other features of the software that allowed me to make the same things in a slightly or completely different way, and now I can do them much faster than at the beginning. It's probably not the most efficient method, but having a firm grasp on the most basic tools via using them a whole lot is a good foundation to start incorporating more parts in as you go. Charging straight into using all the fancy features tends not to work as well in my experience. 

    Since you can already do basic things then just keep doing them and you'll make progress - My guess is that most of the people making freebies and things have been creating content over and over for years already. 

  • Where does one see their "Total Money Spent"? I have the option checked, view my Order History, but I see nothing in regards to amount. Everything else is functioning correctly but that one option.

    Chromium, Version 53.0.2785.143 Built on Ubuntu , running on Ubuntu 14.04 (64-bit).

    v1.1.19 of Daz-Deals installed.

    Thanks in advance for any and all replies.

  • Hrm... We did flip the default to "off" for that option, and if this is your first time using the extension perhaps there's a bug with that scenario... maybe. Thoughts @Ati?
  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    edited November 2016

    Be sure you're on this page, when checking the order history: https://www.daz3d.com/sales/order/history/

    Your most recent orders appear in the 'Account info" section, but that's not where the total is.

    Here's a screenshot of where it is on that page:

    totalspent.png
    794 x 240 - 96K
    Post edited by Ati on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 12,307

    Ati, how long does the referral link last? Sometimes I forget to click it before purchasing. Will a previous click still be remembered for some period of time?

  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    barbult said:

    Ati, how long does the referral link last? Sometimes I forget to click it before purchasing. Will a previous click still be remembered for some period of time?

    20 days.

    If you're not on the e-mail notifications, then just sign up to either the new sale notification, or the fastgrab notification. Or both. :) Then you can use the e-mails. And you'll get very fast notification about new sales and new fastgrab items. And soon a lot of extra goodies. Link is in my signature.

    Speaking of which... but I'll make a new post about that.

  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    edited November 2016

    As we're getting close to the end of the PC+ sales, we'll be adding a huge module to the browser extension soon.

    I'm looking for a few volunteers again, who don't mind a few extra emails, and are willing to provide some feedback before we go live with this feature.

    The emails will contain some of the best sales, without you having to browse through everything. If you're interested, send me a private message here on the forums. I'll explain what this is in private.

    PS: I'm in Europe, so if I don't respond within a reasonable time, that only means I'm sleeping. ;)

    Post edited by Ati on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 12,307
    Ati said:
    barbult said:

    Ati, how long does the referral link last? Sometimes I forget to click it before purchasing. Will a previous click still be remembered for some period of time?

    20 days.

    If you're not on the e-mail notifications, then just sign up to either the new sale notification, or the fastgrab notification. Or both. :) Then you can use the e-mails. And you'll get very fast notification about new sales and new fastgrab items. And soon a lot of extra goodies. Link is in my signature.

    Speaking of which... but I'll make a new post about that.

    20 days - that's great. Thank you. I find the link from one of the Tampermonkey scripts on the bottom of the shopping cart page

    Hide items with discounts smaller than: If you find any of my scripts useful, please consider clicking on my affiliate link before your next purchase: Click here. Thank you!

    Is that still a correct link?

  • Ati said:

    Be sure you're on this page, when checking the order history: https://www.daz3d.com/sales/order/history/

    Your most recent orders appear in the 'Account info" section, but that's not where the total is.

    Here's a screenshot of where it is on that page:

     

    Unfortunately, this is not there.

    I done two scenerios: option clicked and unclicked. I examined the code for both and see no difference between the two.

    When I am at a stopping point in what it is I am doing, I shall reboot the computer and not just the browser to see if there is a change.

  • Rebooted. Still nothing.

    Reinstalled. Nothing.

    Untitled.jpg
    1202 x 965 - 215K
  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    barbult said:

    Is that still a correct link?

    Yes, that is! Thank you, barbult, we really appreciate it!

  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    MeatRoots said:

    Rebooted. Still nothing.

    Reinstalled. Nothing.

    Looking at that screenshot, there is one thing I can think of, but can't test... Maybe you have too few purchases? (Yeah, I know, that shouldn't be an excuse. :))

    The way it works, is it sets the displayed number of lines to 50 per page in the background, loads the pages and sums up the numbers.

    The fact that you have less than 50 orders, may cause an issue. Let's test this! Please make a few more purchases, and check again! :) Okay, I'm just kidding, but if this really is the issue, then the total will appear soon for you, too. Only a few more purchases to go.

    I'll make a new account, order some free stuff and test it. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the reason.

  • Ati said:
    MeatRoots said:

    Rebooted. Still nothing.

    Reinstalled. Nothing.

    Looking at that screenshot, there is one thing I can think of, but can't test... Maybe you have too few purchases? (Yeah, I know, that shouldn't be an excuse. :))

    The way it works, is it sets the displayed number of lines to 50 per page in the background, loads the pages and sums up the numbers.

    The fact that you have less than 50 orders, may cause an issue. Let's test this! Please make a few more purchases, and check again! :) Okay, I'm just kidding, but if this really is the issue, then the total will appear soon for you, too. Only a few more purchases to go.

    I'll make a new account, order some free stuff and test it. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the reason.

    I installed on Firefox, still same thing.

    If not a 50 item threshold, then perhaps a Linux compatibility issue?

  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    MeatRoots said:
    Ati said:
    MeatRoots said:

    Rebooted. Still nothing.

    Reinstalled. Nothing.

    Looking at that screenshot, there is one thing I can think of, but can't test... Maybe you have too few purchases? (Yeah, I know, that shouldn't be an excuse. :))

    The way it works, is it sets the displayed number of lines to 50 per page in the background, loads the pages and sums up the numbers.

    The fact that you have less than 50 orders, may cause an issue. Let's test this! Please make a few more purchases, and check again! :) Okay, I'm just kidding, but if this really is the issue, then the total will appear soon for you, too. Only a few more purchases to go.

    I'll make a new account, order some free stuff and test it. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the reason.

    I installed on Firefox, still same thing.

    If not a 50 item threshold, then perhaps a Linux compatibility issue?

    I'll be on a linux desktop in the middle of the week, I'll give it a try. But I suspect it's the <50 items.

  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 2,985

    Where is the 'options' page, or is it still not working in firefox?

  • AtiAti Posts: 6,690
    namffuak said:

    Where is the 'options' page, or is it still not working in firefox?

    Click on the extension icon, that will open the options page. Usually it is in the top right corner of the browser somewhere, to the right of the address bar.

  • namffuaknamffuak Posts: 2,985
    Ati said:
    namffuak said:

    Where is the 'options' page, or is it still not working in firefox?

    Click on the extension icon, that will open the options page. Usually it is in the top right corner of the browser somewhere, to the right of the address bar.

    What I thought - but apparently my firefox was too outdated. And then, like an idiot, I got my total expenditure. Which, over 11 years, adds up to a very nice car, or a major down payment on a house . . . :-(

    Now, about the PC+ coupon thing - how do I invoke that?

  • OverdrawnOverdrawn Posts: 420
    edited November 2016
    namffuak said:
    Ati said:
    namffuak said:

    Where is the 'options' page, or is it still not working in firefox?

    Click on the extension icon, that will open the options page. Usually it is in the top right corner of the browser somewhere, to the right of the address bar.

    What I thought - but apparently my firefox was too outdated. And then, like an idiot, I got my total expenditure. Which, over 11 years, adds up to a very nice car, or a major down payment on a house . . . :-(

    Now, about the PC+ coupon thing - how do I invoke that?

    Links are added to the right of the word "filters" on ask product listing pages. Clicking either one will set the filters to match what can be bought with the similarly named coupon.

    Post edited by Overdrawn on
  • DanaTADanaTA Posts: 11,374

    I just tried those filter links.  The PC+ coupon link showed all DAZ Originals.  So did the other link.  Could this be due to the fact that I'm not in the PC+ anymore?  sad

    Dana

  • @DanaTA the products should still filter by PC+...so not sure what's up. Could you let me know what version of all the things (browser and extension) you're using? Sorry for the trouble!

Sign In or Register to comment.