ARGH!!! Norton Antivirus One is eatting my new Daz products!!!

2»

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

araneldon said:
    Missing the point completely. Linux can boot in one microsecond for all I care, I would still have to stop whatever I'm doing (playing a game, rendering, w/e) to boot into it to use the internet.

Capiche?

Which is more important?

The files or the game?

• araneldonaraneldon Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

I have never had any problems with downloads, nor have I ever used any Symantec product or other software that interferes with legit incoming files. That's just a small part of the overall picture that I wasn't even talking about.

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,517
    edited December 1969

...I am currently running Norton IS 2013 on XP.

Until the recent change to the Daz Installer .exe the worst I would get would be a warning after which I could just click on "trust now" and the DL would finish. Now most new release .exes go into quarantine. This doesn't occur with .zip installers for new releases from say, Rendo, Xurge, or RDNA.

Yes it is a bother at times. However, after having to deal with a nasty (and somewhat embarrassing) redirect virus that slipped through both MS and MacAfee, I feel this to be a "non-issue" compared to the alternatives of my system being more vulnerable (I still don't "trust" any MS AV) or having to continually stay on top of the latest updates to freeware AVs and manually performing numerous security tasks that Norton IS already handles in background.

It's basically a trade off in which I see the couple extra clicks when DL-ing now & then outweighs the extra time I would have to spend playing system security tech with a number of AV/spyware utilities on a regular basis.

In a benchmark test performed by Tom's, the 2010 version of Norton IS received very high marks for security as well as minimal to almost negligible impact on system performance.

The bottom line is my system is clean (I do test it occasionally with a couple different utilities) with minimal effort on my part.

• SpitSpit Posts: 2,342
    edited December 1969

I'm currently using McAfee because it came with my Dell. I have about six months left and plan to uninstall (hopefully without headache) and will switch to MSE. Realtime Scanning is OFF and McAfee insists on reminding me of that fact every couple of hours for the last year. I hate it.

My last machine was Vista and I ran AVG for 2 or 3 years until it got too intrusive and I dumped it for MSE.

I've been using these things since 1994 and the only viruses I've ever had came in a single email account I used for ten years which was known to the world because I shared it on my website and my 'sister' website in Moscow.

My virus vaults since I closed that account have been empty. Malware hunting programs have only found 'suspicious' cookies.

If one gets a virus it's a bad and painful thing and I think we should all use protection. But please keep the actual statistical danger in perspective and remember it was McAfee who started this whole thing by hyping the fears in the beginning in order to sell his product.

• LeatherGryphonLeatherGryphon Posts: 11,139
    edited November 2012

Kyoto Kid said:...I am currently running Norton IS 2013 on XP.

Until the recent change to the Daz Installer .exe the worst I would get would be a warning after which I could just click on "trust now" and the DL would finish. Now most new release .exes go into quarantine. This doesn't occur with .zip installers for new releases from say, Rendo, Xurge, or RDNA.

Yes it is a bother at times. However, after having to deal with a nasty (and somewhat embarrassing) redirect virus that slipped through both MS and MacAfee, I feel this to be a "non-issue" compared to the alternatives of my system being more vulnerable (I still don't "trust" any MS AV) or having to continually stay on top of the latest updates to freeware AVs and manually performing numerous security tasks that Norton IS already handles in background.

It's basically a trade off in which I see the couple extra clicks when DL-ing now & then outweighs the extra time I would have to spend playing system security tech with a number of AV/spyware utilities on a regular basis.

In a benchmark test performed by Tom's, the 2010 version of Norton IS received very high marks for security as well as minimal to almost negligible impact on system performance.

The bottom line is my system is clean (I do test it occasionally with a couple different utilities) with minimal effort on my part.

Well said!

I've been through about half a dozen freebie automatic A/V tools and abandoned every one of them as being various combinations of clumsy, slow, inaccurate, incomplete, demanding, unfriendly, or buggy. I have to deal with McAfee everytime I have to service a Dell machine. IMHO it sucks royal swamp water, exhibiting every one of the attributes I listed above.

Over the last 14 years Norton has risen and fallen and risen again. I use it as my personally preferred and professionally recommended A/V tool. Specifically I recommend Norton "InternetSecurity" (not "Antivirus", not "One", not "360"). Norton InternetSecurity is the Momma Bear of the Norton A/V tools it's just the right size. It does work best on at least a dual-core machine but that's essentially true of any A/V tool.

However, I'm not wedded to Norton. I recommend Norton to people who can afford it ($70 bigstore retail, $60 from Norton(Symantec.com), $50 on retail sale, $40 clearance sale, or even $30 sometimes through NewEgg.com), and that's usually for a 3-license boxed version which (if you watch the sales) breaks down to $10 per machine per year. What family household doesn't have at least two computers? But I also recommend Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to the freebie people. It's easy to install, it updates automatically, it does a half decent job and is, for me, the least frustrating of the freebies. Also, as a second opinion tool in addition to Norton or MSE I install the free version of MalwareBytes (www.MalwareBytes.org) and don't accept their trial of their "Pro" version. I just install the manually operated free version, and run it manually only once or twice a year or when I suspect that my primary A/V tool has let a malware infection slip through. It doesn't update automatically. It doesn't run in the background. It has zero effect on the system until you tell it to run. And it doesn't interfere with your automatic primary A/V tool. I also use MalwareBytes as my first attempt to recover from an infection. I boot to "Safe Mode with Networking", download the latest version of MalwareBytes, update its definitions, and run a full scan. It usually brings a misbehaving system back to enough health to boot to full mode and run the primary A/V tool again.

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

...thank you

To me, the false positives tell me that Norton IS is doing the job it is supposed to do. Again, a small price to pay for peace of mind so I can devote more of my time to creating pretty pictures instead of playing "cyber hall monitor".

• JaderailJaderail Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

I Ditto the WELL Said. I also use Norton, and as you, will do scans with other PRG's as I see fit to do. For any who thinks protection is not paramount in today's world you are just fooling yourself. I Run MANY types of Scans and keep the Best on the Market as my Number 1 full time protection. In my 12 years of PC and Windows (I was Amiga before then) I've had 1 attack that got me, and that was when I let another person use my PC. They went places I never would. Norton and my Back up prg's keep me safe and enjoying my NET life.

If Norton Nabs a file I KNOW is safe just because it is NEW it's doing what it should.

• Robert FreiseRobert Freise Posts: 4,247
    edited December 1969

Must be lucky I'm using Norton 360 ver. 20.2.0.19 and have had no problems with any of the Daz files during or after download
    Guess maybe I should knock on wood

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

I get Norton free with my cable internet. I have the same problem with new files from Daz (exe files) being eaten (of course its usually a 250 meg file). I figured out how to go to settings - antivirus and turn off Auto-Protect and Sonar Protect for 15 minutes or an hour if I have alot of downloads. Sometimes I forget to turn them back on when I am done:) But if I suspect I was without protection too long I run a quick scan.

Sometimes I wait a couple days before downloading new products as it tends to work okay once enough people have downloaded the file.

• TaozTaoz Posts: 9,714
    edited December 1969

Zev0 said:
    wancow said:
    Okay, McCaffee, Norton and all the rest are craaaaap!

Not kidding, Microsoft Security Essentials

FREEE... it's also the best.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I got rid of Norton a year ago. Haven't had a problem since!

AGREE, 100%. I used Avast for years thinking it was the best until I discovered it didn't detect 4 viruses that have been illegally living on my HD for weeks. I tried MSE. Never looked back. Had those Guys arrested within the first scan. Also its smart enough to know that what you are installing isn't a virus.

Avast is much better at detecting viruses in general than MSE though, according to this test:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

edited December 1969

Taozen said:
    Zev0 said:
    wancow said:
    Okay, McCaffee, Norton and all the rest are craaaaap!

Not kidding, Microsoft Security Essentials

FREEE... it's also the best.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/security-essentials-download

I got rid of Norton a year ago. Haven't had a problem since!

AGREE, 100%. I used Avast for years thinking it was the best until I discovered it didn't detect 4 viruses that have been illegally living on my HD for weeks. I tried MSE. Never looked back. Had those Guys arrested within the first scan. Also its smart enough to know that what you are installing isn't a virus.

Avast is much better at detecting viruses in general than MSE though, according to this test:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/latest_comparative/index

Something I learned many years ago...look at the long term tests. Don't care about the weekly/monthly ones...unless you have enough money to buy all the major players/time to constantly uninstall/install a new one based on this week's report. Use the yearly reports

And, you'll be surprised...mostly over the period of about a year, they are all more or less the same. Or close enough to be statistically the same.

What it boils down to is what 'extra' features and how much interference you want/can tolerate.

edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    Sometimes I wait a couple days before downloading new products as it tends to work okay once enough people have downloaded the file.

...another very reasonable solution.
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    MrPoser said:

I use that approach too. I'm getting a new phone this week and it has buttons instead of a dial! 8-o

• ledheadledhead Posts: 1,586
    edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    MrPoser said:

I use that approach too. I'm getting a new phone this week and it has buttons instead of a dial! 8-o

You actually have been using a rotary phone like the old man on the Jimmy John's commercial. It took the old man 5 times as long to dial the number than it was for JJ's to show up at his door and he yells at delivery guy "What took you so long". At least I thought it was funny. I don't think I have seen a rotary dial phone since way back in the early 80's.

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    MrPoser said:

...your previous one had a Dial? Wow,

[grabs crank on wall phone and rotates it furiously] "Ernestine... Ernestine...you there? It's the Kid, yeah, someone just said their phone had a Dial on it.

...no , no, no....not the bath soap, but one o' then new fangaley dial things, yeah, with numbers and letters on it.

...and get this, he's gettn' a new one that has buttons...yeah, like like the kind the bank president in town has where he can put one person on "hold" push a button and call another without hanging up.

I tell ya, all this modern science, next thing you know, everyone will have moving picture shows in their homes and ovens that can cook a roast in minutes."

edited December 1969

Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    MrPoser said:

[grabs crank on wall phone and rotates it furiously] "Ernestine... Ernestine...you there? It's the Kid, yeah, someone just said their phone had a Dial on it.

...no , no, no....not the bath soap, but one o' then new fangaley dial things, yeah, with numbers and letters on it.

...and get this, he's gettn' a new one that has buttons...yeah, like like the kind the bank president in town has where he can put one person on "hold" push a button and call another without hanging up.

I tell ya, all this modern science, next thing you know, everyone will have moving picture shows in their homes and ovens that can cook a roast in minutes."

Dials? two cans and a string...

Cell phone? Your county lockup has what?!?

Mobile phone...the one down at the gas station, right?

edited December 2012

mjc1016 said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    Kyoto Kid said:
    MrPoser said:

Dials? two cans and a string...

Cell phone? Your county lockup has what?!?

Mobile phone...the one down at the gas station, right?

Mobile phone: one or more hung on strings by Alexander Calder.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alexander_Calder

Cell phone: aka neurons

Post edited by LeatherGryphon on
    edited December 1969

...Calder designed the paint scheme for two aircraft flown by the old Braniff International.

calder_B727.jpg
    664 x 350 - 30K
    calder_dc-8.jpg
    616 x 361 - 81K
  • murgatroyd314murgatroyd314 Posts: 1,431
    edited December 1969

Ledhead said:
    I don't think I have seen a rotary dial phone since way back in the early 80's.

My family had one rotary phone into the early 90's. None of my friends (born early 80's) had ever seen such a thing.
    edited December 1969

...I still remember the one we had, Had a straight cord from the body to the handset instead of one of those coiled ones.

edited December 1969

For most of my growing up years there was only one phone in the house. Centrally placed and the family member closest to it had to answer it. That's why we moved the TV to the far end of the living room and left my mother's knitting chair closer to the phone. (*evil*)

• mrposermrposer Posts: 1,124
    edited December 1969

I found a another way to keep Norton from deleting Daz download exe files because they are too new. If you have Norton Security Suite go to Settings - AntiVirus- Scans and Risks - Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR Detection. You can then add your high level Daz Download folder and then Norton will ignore any file downloaded to that folder or its subfolders. It saves having to turn off and on the Norton Auto-Protect. Just only download Daz products to those folders.

edited December 1969

MrPoser said:
    I found a another way to keep Norton from deleting Daz download exe files because they are too new. If you have Norton Security Suite go to Settings - AntiVirus- Scans and Risks - Items to Exclude from Auto-Protect and SONAR Detection. You can then add your high level Daz Download folder and then Norton will ignore any file downloaded to that folder or its subfolders. It saves having to turn off and on the Norton Auto-Protect. Just only download Daz products to those folders.

I don't think the options are the same across all the various Symantec products.

But buried in them, somewhere 'should' be a similar function...