Garibaldi Express: Hair and Fur Plugin Beta [Commercial]

Comments

• futurebiscuitfuturebiscuit Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ....is working rather nicely in Wine 1.5.14 and later...

Sounds good... maybe worth more than a bronze now. Glad you persevered with it.
    edited December 1969

Razor 42 said:

I'm not sure if it's a noted issue but I did notice some crazy activity sometimes when I extend the length of the hair and immediately apply more curve to the hair, I have attached a screenshot of how the hair appeared in the Daz Studio preview window. The hair was fairly uniform before it went crazy.
    Yeah, it's not meant to do that... In the unlikely event that might happen you should be able to 'undo' it.
    Seems that an internal data cache hasn't updated in garibaldi correctly... I'll add it to the list of things to look into.

Strangely I liked the way it made this teddy bear appear kind of old and well loved.
    This one rendered in less than half an hour with Uber environment set to max, a linear point light and spotlight both with Deep shadows applied.

Good to see that even with the crazy style curves it manages to interpolate and render the hair strands. I imagine if you use a more 'conventional' style curve setup it will render quicker...
  • mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:
    ....is working rather nicely in Wine 1.5.14 and later...

Sounds good... maybe worth more than a bronze now. Glad you persevered with it.

Except that DS itself is having fits with WINE and to really get anything done, an older version of WINE is needed to run DS.

If I get a chance, I'll try to figure out if I can spot where the differences are, other than 64 bit works better on the later versions of WINE than the 32 bit and the plugin that works best is the 64 bit.

• Mustakettu85Mustakettu85 Posts: 2,933
    edited December 1969

Are you using beta 7 with the disk caching?
    Does it render ok without raytracing? Asking for ambient occlusion and raytraced reflection with complex geometry in 2GB of RAM plus all the overhead processes might be asking a little to much...
    Not that it helps, but RAM pricing is now down below $5usd per GB.

That was beta 6, but with RAM cache (disk cache didn't work in beta 6 for me at all). I'll try the 32bit beta 7 over the weekend. Actually the raytraced reflection crash surprised me. I did not enable it on purpose, just clicked on a shader preset to make Genesis "clothed". I generally never noticed raytraced reflection add that much overhead before. But I guess it saw the curves and choked on them.

Actually I have very few background processes running on that machine, it's been optimised to oblivion and back. It's interesting that Paint.NET doesn't really crash on me even when I'm editing a multilayered 4096x4096 texture and it's eating over a gig of RAM. It just gets slooow.

And thanks for the RAM suggestion, but where I live (it's not a "civilized" country), even the "normal" desktop RAM is pricier than that. But the issue is not the price actually, it's finding the precise type of RAM to go into a Toshiba Satellite A200 laptop here, and then finding a few days off to install 64bit Windows and all the software...

Anyway, here's what I managed to come up with at work tonight... Beta 7, trying suggestions on the same scene. It's a 64bit desktop setup with 8 GB RAM, so surface AO and area lights (oh boy do they work differently in DS4.5!) played together just fine.

surfaceAO+arealight.png
    618 x 800 - 592K
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited November 2012

I decided to play with a non-human and pulled out the Genesis Gorilla to play with and I love what you can do with him. he looks great without the hair and amazing with it.

I have a problem though... you will see in the first image below a crescent at the top of the head. I am not sure what is causing that and if anyone has any thoughts that would be great. It only occurs with the hair turned on and it is there whether I have my lights are turned on or not. i have tried different things in GH to get rid of it and even though more hair density with greater clumping reduces it this does not solve the problem altogether and it did not quite look right for the gorilla so I reverted back.

Anyway it is fairly easy to remove in postwork as thesecond image shows.

GHGorilla02p.jpg
    886 x 1244 - 175K
    GHGorilla02.jpg
    886 x 1244 - 175K
    Post edited by MangeyDesigner on
  • MangeyDesignerMangeyDesigner Posts: 129
    edited December 1969

The gorilla is truly awesome to play with... and the issue at the top of his head was almost not there with this change of camera so I am not sure what it is... maybe something in the UVs

GHGorilla04.jpg
    886 x 1244 - 135K
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited November 2012

I tested the #7 build and got some message when rendering , it may be nothing but it was not there in version 6
    everything else works without problem so far

P.S I used 150.000 hairs and the render message show above 98K , that maybe the the 3delite message about

gb-hair-note2.jpg
    385 x 426 - 70K
    Post edited by MEC4D on
  • MEC4DMEC4D Posts: 5,249
    edited December 1969

Here was the hair much longer and got more messages from 3Delite

gb-hair-note3.jpg
    284 x 407 - 61K
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

I`m also receiving a lot of these 3Delight messages, W7 64b.

By the way, the previous crashing problem that I had with disk cash render on version 0.6 was fixed on 0.7. Good job.

• foleyprofoleypro Posts: 442
    edited December 1969

I never got Version .07 yet....

• bighbigh Posts: 8,147
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:

check your spam

edited December 1969

bigh said:
    foleypro said:

check your spam

I have everyday...On this one I didnt get...

edited December 1969

I have a problem though... you will see in the first image below a crescent at the top of the head. I am not sure what is causing that...

I imagine it due to shrinkage of the gorilla geometry when rendered as subdivisional surfaces in 3Deight. Garibaldi Express version 1 grows its hair strands on the polygonal version of the geometry.
    I would suggest try rendering the gorilla polygonal geometry but they don't seem to be a way to remove the 'Convert to SubD' from geometry.
    edited December 1969

Mec4D said:
    Here was the hair much longer and got more messages from 3Delite

Is the hair you are trying to render particularly curly?
    Try beta 8, it should remove most of the errors. They're not anything to worry about anyway.
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:

Just sent out emails for beta 8.

I plan to move to using a third party supplier for my bulk emails soon, as that seems the only reliable way to have a large mailing list without being marked as spam these days.
    If you find you don't receive the download email then send me a email/message with your email address and I will send you a email directly.

• Eustace ScrubbEustace Scrubb Posts: 2,686
    edited November 2012

Well, here comes version 0.8 and there goes all incentive to try version 0.6, ever... ;) I don't think I even got #7 downloaded.

Post edited by Eustace Scrubb on
    edited December 1969

Hey you have the links set wrong in the email...when I click on WinXP 32 bit version it wants me to download the mac version....

edited December 1969

foleypro said:
    Hey you have the links set wrong in the email...when I click on WinXP 32 bit version it wants me to download the mac version....

The 32bit version links should point to the correct files now. Sorry for the mix up.
    edited December 1969

foleypro said:

The 32bit version links should point to the correct files now. Sorry for the mix up.

Its cool...I downloaded the mac version which was the WinXP version...Just thought I would give you a heads up...We are in Beta..

• EndiEndi Posts: 35
    edited December 1969

Hi
    This Plugin is great, thanks to developer :-)

my system Win7 64Bit

alinenesis.jpg
    800 x 1000 - 242K
  • ekohamekoham Posts: 21
    edited December 1969

ecocam said:
    I`m also receiving a lot of these 3Delight messages, W7 64b.

No more warnings on rendering using version 0.8 . Good job again

• Alisa Uh-LisaAlisa Uh-Lisa Posts: 1,308
    edited December 1969

Have been up to my ears in alligators so haven't had time to do much more - hope to get to some more playing with this sometime this week.

edited December 1969

Have been up to my ears in alligators so haven't had time to do much more - hope to get to some more playing with this sometime this week.

Sounds like it's time for some luggage, handbags and boots...and maybe a little blackened 'gator or 'gator jambalaya.

• edited December 1969

mjc1016 said:

Sounds like it's time for some luggage, handbags and boots...and maybe a little blackened 'gator or 'gator jambalaya.

I could use a new purse. ;-)

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    mjc1016 said:

LOL!!

• edited December 1969

I only get spiders and it's hard to make a purse out of them. All leggy and hairy.

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    I only get spiders and it's hard to make a purse out of them. All leggy and hairy.

Well, put some Garibaldi fur on them! At least then it'll hide their legs! :)

edited December 1969

fivecat said:
    mjc1016 said:

Okay...

gatorpurse.jpg
    1000 x 800 - 377K
  • StevieCStevieC Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Okay, this one took some calculating to achieve, as in the Garibaldi editor, since I was use Mil Horse SE, it did not recognize neck or head in surface selector, so had to use Mane 1 and Mane 2......anyway, my first attempt at a horse mane....will have to try tail next....

Garibaldi_Horse_Mane_3.jpg
    1024 x 512 - 257K
    edited December 1969

Oh, yeah, still crashing at 32 bit for me...but this time I've got a good dump, so I'll mail it off to you, James...

I'm thinking it's something specific to the 32 bit build process/compiling, because since beta5, I've been able to get the 64 bit version to mostly to completely work, but overall DS is too unstable, itself, to keep the 64 bit version, at least on this machine.

This discussion has been closed.