Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859
    edited October 2016

For a change of pace, how about a camel, rendered in 3DL, with the Dry Mud Desert by @Aako. That product is cool, it has haze with different settings, easy to light. Nice to have options! 

I would NOT add hair to the camel (it's not what you think- it's not all over, just long hair down the throat and chest) as it rendered six hours when I called it quits and it hadn't done the top part of the neck at all. I have a fast computer so don't know if that was a glitch, but I sure hope so. Nothing else was running to slow the computer down. Anyone who has My Camel Camelia who wants to test the "hair" option, let us know how it goes. (or if you have already rendered her with hair, how it went.) 

camel3DL.jpg
    600 x 655 - 379K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

If you do get Wastelander, would love ot see renders of it. I've passed that up so many times because the pants look absolutely dreadful - so bad that i just can't even look at the promos, so I'd be curious to see what you think of them.  

Novica said:

Things I'm looking at (have to check out before 1am) are Wastelander (Gen3M)  as it's  $1.62 with a new / debut item  (I had to laugh at one of the promos- the man looks more Deer-In-Headlights rather than threatening. Go look, you'll know which one I mean!  If I had to caption it, it would be "Get me away from this guy, PLEASE?" or "I don't KNOW how I got here!" 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

glad you have a link in your sig - just went over and downloaded it and will read it this week. :D 

I suspected it would come around again sometime - these things usually do.smiley My book1 is already permafree, and book 2 will be .99 for a week at the beginning of November.

edited October 2016

Well, my studio won't render (doing Wastelander for you.)  Renders do nothing. Trying to remember what to do to reinstall. I exported user data, now do I re-import metadata OR reset database, or neither- just reinstall? Glad this doesn't happen hardly ever, but I don't know what to do when it does!  Edit: it's working now, maybe it was a certain product.

I also posted in Commons, hope they fix it, it's men's clothing so I'm looking at it.

European Clothes is in one of the featured stores,  not doing discounts other than the 10% for a new/debut item in cart.

Release date August 23rd.

Post edited by Novica on
  • Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

If you don't have this already bookmarked a ton of freebies here

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/#index=1&order=price

edited October 2016

Okay, I may have a genius idea- or maybe not. I asked a week or so ago (and ahem, no one answered...)  When doing kids from adults, the fingernails are too long. I asked how to shorten them, if there were any morphs for the nails. 

So wouldn't Lune Nails work? If there's different material zones, just apply the ones with two tones, and then in Surfaces, cutout opacity the tips and you have short nails! 

OR 

Just use negative values (do the cog, undo the limits if needed.) 

Anyone have Lune Nails and Growing up that can test on Genesis 3 females?

Post edited by Novica on

If you don't have this already bookmarked a ton of freebies here

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/#index=1&order=price

LOL did you see the gift card in there? Somehow,  I don't think that card has very much on it!

European Clothes is working now. It's $7.19 w/ new/debut. I like the fit of the pants, the crotch isn't "look-at-me" or bulky. Nice folds in the lower legs, and the shirts too.

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170
    Novica said:

Okay, I may have a genius idea- or maybe not. I asked a week or so ago (and ahem, no one answered...)  When doing kids from adults, the fingernails are too long. I asked how to shorten them, if there were any morphs for the nails. 

So wouldn't Lune Nails work? If there's different material zones, just apply the ones with two tones, and then in Surfaces, cutout opacity the tips and you have short nails! 

OR 

Just use negative values (do the cog, undo the limits if needed.) 

Anyone have Lune Nails and Growing up that can test on Genesis 3 females?

The only morphs for Lune Nails make them longer / round / square.  And there are no additional material zones.  They're just morphs for the existing nails.  The idea to use negative values with the Lune Morphs, however, does work.  I got the best results making the Lune Square morph negative (because that's essentially the shape of the default nail), but your mileage may vary.

Thanks Saba Taru- I did get them earlier today, I figure if it didn't work I'd return it. 

And I did get the Guardian Bundle! Knew it was a possibility the vendor would still be on sale and with the Supersuit- which YES! that vendor is in the featured stores today! 

Need someone to check something- I have FW Nails (Fred Winkler) in Parameters>Actor>Hands>Real World>FW Nails (it's near the top, only three down for me)  and I have, as mentioned, Lune Nails. I'm not sure if that is the Lune Nails or nails from one of the Fred girls. Can someone who does not have Lune Nails, who has an FW gal, check to see if they have that? It works GREAT to shorten nails (you undo the limits.)   I want to show this to you, but we need to know what I'm using.

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170

I have both.  FW Nails are the not same as the "Nails by Lune Round" and "Nails by Lune Square" that should also be in your shaping palette if you do a search in that palette  on just "nail" with All selected.  The Lune nails product only has those two morphs and they both have Lune in the name of the dial.  :)

• MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

Need someone to check something- I have FW Nails (Fred Winkler) in Parameters>Actor>Hands>Real World>FW Nails (it's near the top, only three down for me)  and I have, as mentioned, Lune Nails. I'm not sure if that is the Lune Nails or nails from one of the Fred girls. Can someone who does not have Lune Nails, who has an FW gal, check to see if they have that? It works GREAT to shorten nails (you undo the limits.)   I want to show this to you, but we need to know what I'm using.

I do not have Lune Nails, but I have several FW girls. The "FW Nails" morph is there for me in the path you specified, so I guess it came with one (or more) of the FW girls (I have about 16 of them, so it's not easy to say which one or ones it came with).
    I see what you mean about shortening the nails - you can get one of those ex-nailbiter-hand looks really easily.

Post edited by MelanieL on
  • MelanieLMelanieL Posts: 7,091
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

For a change of pace, how about a camel, rendered in 3DL, with the Dry Mud Desert by @Aako. That product is cool, it has haze with different settings, easy to light. Nice to have options!

I would NOT add hair to the camel (it's not what you think- it's not all over, just long hair down the throat and chest) as it rendered six hours when I called it quits and it hadn't done the top part of the neck at all. I have a fast computer so don't know if that was a glitch, but I sure hope so. Nothing else was running to slow the computer down. Anyone who has My Camel Camelia who wants to test the "hair" option, let us know how it goes. (or if you have already rendered her with hair, how it went.)

I just tried My Camel Camellia - I don't have that Dry Mud Desert product, so I used the Easy Environments: Eternal Sands instead. This has very simple lighting (three distant lights used for ambient and one distant light used as sun) - what sort of lighting did you use?

For me the camel without hair rendered in 2 minutes 25 seconds. With hair loaded, it took 5 minutes 01 second. So quite an uplift but not that bad in real terms.

ETA: I'm just trying a similar test with a UberEnvironment setup from one of the FirstBastion sets. I'll post timings when done.

ETA2: And it's done. Without hair was 7 minutes 51 seconds, with hair was 21 minutes 44 seconds - so the difference was quite a bit greater, but still nothing like 6 hours. There was no haze or anything complex involved though - maybe this was the problem?

Post edited by MelanieL on
    MelanieL said:

I do not have Lune Nails, but I have several FW girls. The "FW Nails" morph is there for me in the path you specified, so I guess it came with one (or more) of the FW girls (I have about 16 of them, so it's not easy to say which one or ones it came with).
    I see what you mean about shortening the nails - you can get one of those ex-nailbiter-hand looks really easily.

Yes, it's perfect for the Growing Up kids and for people without the ultra long nails! 

edited October 2016

I don't know what went on with the camel then. Thanks for checking that Melanie! I'll load it back up (hopefully I kept it) and see if I can figure out which lighting it is. Okay, I'm in studio now and I did keep it. Let me see exactly how long it takes with the Mud Flats and the default lighting.

It used the Group Lights which was the Uber Environment, etc. It's at 24% in less than a minute but that was just working down and rendering sky. Now it's doing the camel (camel without hair) and is 2 minutes 29% and the hump is done. So the Mud Flats will take a bit longer than the Eternal Sands it seems- but at 3 minutes and a half, it's 45% done. At 4 minutes 40 seconds it's 60% done.  At 7 minutes it's 92%, 98% at 8:15, done at 8:37.

For hair- (doing now, will post here in a bit.)  I just realized I didn't load the saddle, etc on these camels, but it's okay, as long as both don't have it. Remember this is the Mud Flats product with the camel. (I really like it!) 

2:07 it's 28% (mostly sky)      3:10  32% part of hump and eye showing      4:30 still no change         5:15  only 33%, the hair is slowing it down.    6:15 gained only 2% more for 35%         8:15 it's 41% (compared to 98%) and hasn't moved off that at 9:15       So definitely the 6 hours was glitchy (that's why I asked for it to be tested, my computer isn't slow.)    10:40 it's 43%     13 minutes it's 50% and been hung up on the neck/hair, the percent that is coming in is the body, no progress on the neck at all.      16 minutes- no change        18:30 no change    20 minutes no change        22 minutes, no change           FINALLY- 52% at  23:15       Still there at 29 minutes.   Okay, I cancelled it, it was 33 minutes and no change. So the hair is hanging up, don't know how long it will do that, but I'm not using the hair. I could sketch it in faster! (I draw, am 2D artist.)         

Post edited by Novica on
    edited November 2016

This one with Haven (G7) was without the distant ocean. Not sure why you wouldn't want the ocean.

And with the distant ocean.

While Friends of Girl 7 is featured, I did Haven for you with Growing Up, and used the FW nails (mentioned previously) to get the typical nails for a child. I always shrink the head with Growing Up to around 93-95%, this was 94.9%. But when you do that, watch the eyes, you'll have to manually adjust them and then if you use a posing product, check them again. Jerry Hair is quite cute, especially for kids, and poses easily. She's wearing the Nomad outfit which I've featured several times already. LOVE those pants.

Rock Bar is very pretty, it's a nice outside dining set with ocean included. Still in new status though so won't be in the featured store.

RockbarHaven5.jpg
    508 x 578 - 225K
    RockbarHaven1.jpg
    508 x 578 - 243K
    RockbarHaven2.jpg
    508 x 578 - 178K
    RockbarHaven3.jpg
    508 x 578 - 243K
    RockbarHaven4.jpg
    508 x 578 - 237K
    rockbar5.jpg
    508 x 578 - 237K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • barbultbarbult Posts: 23,049
    edited October 2016

I've been rendering Haven, too. First I rendered her before I bought Girl 7. Then I rendered again after I bought Girl 7.  I used the V3Digitimes Iray Skin Converter on her skin.

Edited again to remove all images. Something is very strange about the way Haven loads for me.

Post edited by barbult on
    edited October 2016

I've come to the conclusion that Haven for Girl 7 loads incorrectly. She has too much Girl 7 in her I think. She doesn't look like the promo images. When adding the Haven figure to the scene, it loads with Girl 7 37.5%, but Girl 7 Body 74.8% and Girl Head 74.5% I think the head and body morphs are getting set to double what they should be or something. And the Haven morphs are at 0%. This is bizarre. I can't make any sense out of it. I'm going to submit a help request and see if I am doing something wrong. If I load G3F and dial Haven to 100% she looks completely different.

Post edited by barbult on

She definitely doesn't look like the promo, agree.(I hadn't really looked at that because I was doing the Growing Up right away.) 

Novica said:

She definitely doesn't look like the promo, agree.(I hadn't really looked at that because I was doing the Growing Up right away.) 

Yah, something is wrong. If you load G3F and then apply the Haven head shaping preset, the head looks pretty good. Then when you apply the Haven body preset, it drastically changes the head as well as changing the body. A body shaping preset should not change the head. I've submitted a help request.

I'm sure everyone has read this over in Commons, but in case you haven't- if you got the orange banner for an additional 10% off (PC+ members only) then it stacks with the 10% for buying a Debut/New item, so you're getting a great deal on Gift Cards. So items and cards are 19% off the sales price/cards!

Barbult- Congrats on being a Community Volunteer- you definitely help a lot of people!  (I just noticed that, I am probably ultra late blush  I would have mentioned it sooner!) 

Don't check out if you have the orange banner. The discounts aren't applying right now. I'm getting the 10% off for having a new/debut item, but not the orange banner. It's working on the gift card only.

• Richard HaseltineRichard Haseltine Posts: 96,203
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

Don't check out if you have the orange banner. The discounts aren't applying right now. I'm getting the 10% off for having a new/debut item, but not the orange banner. It's working on the gift card only.

As far as I can tell the banner discount is applying, at least to some things, since I am seeing an extra discount on new releases which are excluded from the longer-running 10% - where is it missing for you?

Post edited by Richard Haseltine on
    Novica said:

Barbult- Congrats on being a Community Volunteer- you definitely help a lot of people!  (I just noticed that, I am probably ultra late blush  I would have mentioned it sooner!) 

Thanks, Novica. I've been a CV for several months, but it was just recently suggested that we add that to our signature line so people know. So, I just added it. You are not ultra late in noticing at all!

• KnittingmommyKnittingmommy Posts: 8,191
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

Until you posted this, I didn't even remember buying a camel!  But, apparently, I must have as it showed purchased when I clicked on it.

I love what you did with Haven!  She's such a cute little girl.  I love that little pointy chin!  :)

edit: fixed grammar.

Post edited by Knittingmommy on
    Novica said:

As far as I can tell the banner discount is applying, at least to some things, since I am seeing an extra discount on new releases which are excluded from the longer-running 10% - where is it missing for you?

Richard- sorry, not ignoring you. Right after i posted that, I got a call that Stetson may be coming down ill so I rushed out the door and just got back (7pm) (Stets is fine. He got overheated and they had already given him a bath when I got there. Great stomach sounds, breathing normal, eating normal, etc. Walked him in the arena about an hour ago and let him eat grass, he was eating the hay in his stall just fine.)   What you posted in Commons was my problem- the other 10% doesn't apply to new releases, so the 10% I was seeing was the orange banner discount. Thanks so much!

Alliance Outfit   I almost missed this again- I had it in my wishlist (which is huge, I never look at it frankly) This outfit has PANTS but the main promo only shows shorts. The boots do have high heels, but they are not obnoxious, you can always change out the shoes. With the orange banner it is insanely cheap at $3.87, even without it, it's in one of the featured stores (if you buy a debut/new release.) Just thought I'd point it out. There's a texture set too, don't know what the material zones are (if you have shaders you want to try.) 

Yes!

Surprisingly (to me) one outfit that is SO outside my norm, stuck in my mind because I thought "kitbashing with something under this would be a great family friendly outfit." But I didn't get it and have been watching for it. Yes! Zoe's store is featured. Take a peek at the Jackyline Outfit.  Fisty & Darc has some cute textures to, as does Zoe.. 

And also in Zoe's store, this would be SO cute for kids, and with shaders, think what you can do with Sunny Dress. (and shoes. But not for kids.) 

Another one I like is PandyGirl's Hangin Out Poses and Props- the props are cute! Not sure what "collision morphs" mean, but I assume that means indentation where the figure meets the prop. 

This discussion has been closed.