How do I model a white collar?

2»

Comments

• mjc1016mjc1016 Posts: 15,001
    edited November 2012

Both front corners are a mess...there's overlapping faces and at least 1 extra face, folded in on itself. There's also a mismatch in the middle of the back of the collar (from the back centerline, it's the 4th to the left...)

And fixing those seems to fix most of the problems...

Also, you've got the collar assigned to the same surface/material as the rest of the shirt, not the 'white' material.

You haven't UV mapped it yet?

Post edited by mjc1016 on
  • RedSquareRedSquare Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

Plus; these are shading domains.....

TShirtw_1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 345K
    edited November 2012

However; if you look inside the left hand sleeve cuff, you will see what is called an interference pattern. This is caused by more than one mesh inhabiting the same space.....

TShirtw_2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 320K
    Post edited by RedSquare on
    edited December 1969

Also, if you select each of the selection tools from the lower section of this drop down menu sequentially, you may find a few more anomalies....

TShirtw_3.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 429K
    edited November 2012

and, one more example..... I do hope I haven't upset you too much, I'm not trying to diminish your TShirt but as the previous poster mentioned you do need to either work on it some more; or scrub it and start over again. Either way enjoy yourself... :)

TShirtw_4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 406K
    edited December 1969

O'er, thought I would see if cutting a couple of tessellations on the outside of the collar might help and.....

TShirtw_5.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 233K
    edited December 1969

Double O'er, it doesn't like extract edge along either....:-S :ohh:

TShirtw_6.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 256K
    edited December 1969

Er, um, you've got a hole in the left hand sleeve between the cuff and the bottom of the sleeve as you can see. I've positioned it so that part of the collar (yellow) is showing through. Sorreeeee. You'll be hate-ting me so I shall beat a hasty retreat.....

TShirtw_7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 333K
    edited November 2012

Reverse angle......

TShirtw_4b.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 403K
    TShirtw_8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 198K
    edited December 1969

This curve is an exact copy of the shaping of the collar when viewed from above .....

TShirtw_9.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 334K
    edited December 1969

from inside the shirt looking up at the collar....

TShirtw_10.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 350K
    edited November 2012

Last but one, same camera position but with transparency.....

TShirtw_11.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 370K
    edited December 1969

Lastly, with the shirt body removed, thus showing the contours of the collar.....

TShirtw_12.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 266K
  • de3ande3an Posts: 915
    edited December 1969

Perhaps the real problem is that all of the normals of the collar have flipped, starting at the seam where the collar connects to the shirt.

reversed_normals.png
    1013 x 916 - 164K
    edited November 2012

Confirmed at this end as well, but I had commented enough. One reason why you couldn't make/keep your shading domains.

For if you attempt to flip the normals etc after you have designated your shading domains, you will loose them, that's why it is important to check/adjust your normals prior to designating any SD and/or mat's. Why one should only designate SD/Mat's after you have finished modelling, but prior to UV'ing.

Well, I've tried various ways to add tessellations to the shirt & on every attempt it crashes Hexagon. If you/or anybody else has similar problems then to be brutally honest, I think you should start again you will find you will create the mesh twice as quickly as this one. There is in my humble opinion something seriously wrong with this mesh and its not, too many poly's.

EDIT: Doh!!!!! I'm a twit, I'm a prat, I'm a wrinkly idiot; you've collapsed the DG. I'm attempting to add tessellations to a smoothed mesh = wrong! :red: :red: One silly nearly 73 year old man will now shut up and slink away with tail between legs. I should be put down mutter, mutter, dribble. Perhaps I'll pop my clogs before they come to take me away. :lol:

Seriously; make a new mesh.

edited December 1969

Sheesh,,,

I fixed all of the problems, in about 10 minutes...in Blender.

Yeah, I tried to do it in Hex and it seemed like fixing one thing led to another, including a crash of Hex, that's when I decided to try something else.

I dumped it out as an obj and pulled it into Blender, hit 'remove doubles', selected 'nonmanifold', removed the cuffs and rebuilt them, fixed the hole (for some reason, probably outside the range, it didn't weld when automatically done) and the normals. UV'd it and exported...then spent a couple of hours playing with it...

• PendraiaPendraia Posts: 3,591
    edited December 1969

RedSquare said:

EDIT: Doh!!!!! I'm a twit, I'm a prat, I'm a wrinkly idiot; you've collapsed the DG. I'm attempting to add tessellations to a smoothed mesh = wrong! :red: :red: One silly nearly 73 year old man will now shut up and slink away with tail between legs. I should be put down mutter, mutter, dribble. Perhaps I'll pop my clogs before they come to take me away. :lol:

Seriously; make a new mesh.

Definitely not silly! There was a lot of useful information in your posts for anyone who wants to learn about doing this sort of stuff..

• tdrdtdrd Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

I'm not starting that all over again after spending two weeks or as good as on it so far.

I'll persevere with this one for now as I'm sure the problems can be fixed.

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR FEEDBACK AND COMMENTS - CONSTRUCTIVE OR OTHERWISE because I like most you have to learn the curve.
    I AM NOT OFFENDED IN ANY WAY!

There are many areas of Hexagon I do not understand - it will come - i'm spending a good 8 hours a day on this at the moment - sometimes more.

The problems arise because sometimes there is too much information on screen - that's why I created domains so I could hide parts of the clothing to reduce the number of section on screen.

I've not UV mapped it yet as I have to get the shirt shape right before I start adding detail to it in the way of patterns.... Not sure what UV mapping actually does anyway when you can add materials to a shirt in the form of jpeg mats.

Terry

Post edited by tdrd on
    edited December 1969

tdrd said:
    I've not UV mapped it yet as I have to get the shirt shape right before I start adding detail to it in the way of patterns.... Not sure what UV mapping actually does anyway when you can add materials to a shirt in the form of jpeg mats.

Terry

UV mapping is what tells the program you are displaying the model in HOW to fit those texture maps to the model.

• RoygeeRoygee Posts: 2,247
    edited December 1969

Sometimes it is easier and faster to scrap a mesh and start over again, rather than trying to fix it - after all, all you loose is time and to a hobbyist, time is not money:) In the process you learn a lot.

Even after all these years, I often make false starts and dump them when they aren't working out as expected, or I find a better method.

edited December 1969

I suppose I could simply remove the collar section of the mesh and have another go from there...
    I'm quickly going grey and even though I'm 52 and unemployed at the moment - I don't have more than 8 hours a day I can spend on it as I'm learning Adobe Dreamweaver and job searching - it's tiresome but I need jobs.
    I'm spending as much free time as I have in order to enjoy this hobby and I hope to learn enough to be able to make a lot of additional clothing which there is a lack of out there.
    It's alright having clothing for fantasy situations etc but I'm trying to create a real scene here and there's not a lot of material out there which suits my needs on a very tight budget.
    So - yes i'll strip off the collar and the cuffs and go back from there... i've saved versions of earlier stages....

Terry

edited November 2012

Go for it ! But don't forget you need to tidy up a few of your poly's on the shirt body as well. :)

I've sent you another PM

edited December 1969

@RedSquare - thank you - got it earlier
    I'll persevere with this one for now and have another go for a different shirt later......
    Thanks for the PM and tips.
    Terry