Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

WOW, forums are blazing fast!!!! If you need to post something, particularly renders,  on your respective threads or in Commons, now is the time! 

While I totally detest the skin tight sexy nurse outfit, want to point out the morphs. You can open this up (uniform open, and a fly open, which has the sides blowing back) and use it as a jacket.  Would make a great doctor's coat / pediatrican / nurse coat over another outfit.  It's $7.62 with a qualifying purchase   Open the second row, second thumbnail (that shows her hiney, no comment.) 

Did you catch that Underground Factory was also a Daz Original, so the price goes down to $5.72 (all of these are with a qualifying purchase and PC+, I'm not going to keep stating that.) 

The box lights product is what I JUST USED to light Princess Leila. Grab all that series of lighting!  (Bokeh, Ring Flash) (For $2.40 THEN discounted down, are you kidding me?) 

• jakibluejakiblue Posts: 7,281

I was just coming in to mention those Lights - the Bokeh and the ring lights one. They're for iray and I promoed them waaaaaaaay back when they first came out, before I even knew what I was doing with iray and I REALLY liked them. I just nabbed them from the store cos they were so cheap so I'd have the downloads for good in case i lost my files on them. Although......I paid $2.70 each for them aobut fifteen minutes ago and NOW they are $2.40...what the heck?????????? 

Novica said:

The box lights product is what I JUST USED to light Princess Leila. Grab all that series of lighting!  (Bokeh, Ring Flash) (For $2.40 THEN discounted down, are you kidding me?) 

oh wait.....the Ring Flash and the Bokeh ones are the ones I paid $2.70 for (wiht a new release)...I already had the Box Lights. Whoops, sorry! 

My comment about nabbing all three still stands tho. LOL. They are excellent Iray lights. 

@jakiblue, I'm messaging you- I'm not ready to check out yet and have a question

Read and answered your question :D 

Novica said:

@jakiblue, I'm messaging you- I'm not ready to check out yet and have a question

edited October 2016

What the heck is with Summer Sandals Volume 1- no matter how many times it goes through DIM as installed, it stays in the Product side and doesn't download. I kept thinking I was going insane! 

Underground Factory  Humor me. Take a look at this set, before you read. Detailed and quite nice, right? 

I'm still picking up sets. I got  The Strongroom, French Ski Resort,  Mecha Hangar, Underground Factory. Okay, so now,  LOL-  this is a tutorial on how to best use your PC+ code. (tongue in cheek, not serious) Make sure there is one sale item (in the PA stores) that is a DO, and a new release- and that there's ONLY ONE Daz Original so the $6 discount gets applied to it...and this is the price you pay.  99 cents!

deal.jpg
    736 x 144 - 609K
    Post edited by Novica on

[bolded by me] I'm starting to think your last name is Hilton with all the stuff you buy. LOL!!!!!

I'm hanging on to my $6 coupon...I still have my fingers crossed that Monique 7 will turn up this month.....or that we'll get another figure in the "Eva 7 and Friends" and I'll want it to use my coupon on. :D

Novica said:

What the heck is with Summer Sandals Volume 1- no matter how many times it goes through DIM as installed, it stays in the Product side and doesn't download. I kept thinking I was going insane! 

Underground Factory  Humor me. Take a look at this set, before you read. Detailed and quite nice, right? 

I'm still picking up sets. I got  The Strongroom, French Ski Resort,  Mecha Hangar, Underground Factory. Okay, so now,  LOL-  this is a tutorial on how to best use your PC+ code. (tongue in cheek, not serious) Make sure there is one sale item (in the PA stores) that is a DO, and a new release- and that there's ONLY ONE Daz Original so the $6 discount gets applied to it...and this is the price you pay. 

jakiblue said:

[bolded by me] I'm starting to think your last name is Hilton with all the stuff you buy. LOL!!!!!

It's called PBand J entertainment plan.  (Peanut Butter and Jelly. )  And I'm not kidding! Thank goodness, I like PB&J. The only thing I really buy other than Daz is carrots for Stetson. wink

LOL!!!!! I hear you there - my husband is King of Budget Cooking...I look in the pantry and think "we have no food! there is nothing to eat!" and then my husband goes to the pantry and with a handful of weevily flour and a bar of soap cooks up a gourmet meal!!! laugh

Although I've found that I actually do have a bit each week to buy my DAZ drugs, seeing as I quit smoking two weeks ago..... laugh 

Novica said:
    jakiblue said:

It's called PBand J entertainment plan.  (Peanut Butter and Jelly. )  And I'm not kidding! Thank goodness, I like PB&J. The only thing I really buy other than Daz is carrots for Stetson. wink

Oh good for you!!!! I imagine it was tough when you first stopped, but you'll hopefully feel much better as time progresses.

I'm a Stouffer's frozen dinner person when I want change up the dinner. Love their spaghetti and meat sauce (not the meat balls. I like the meat ground up and in the sauce.) Their cheddar potato bake is also awesome.

A lot of the stuff I showcase is months or years old, and bought with good sales like stacking discounts. And that makes me cringe when I think about how the sales are often so complicated, I test the cart for hours to see what's doing what. And it bothers me that sometimes I don't know if I'm getting the right discount or not. I don't understand how people who are NOT forum users keep up with what they buy, or understand what's going on. That boggles my mind. Everyone on the forums is so helpful to point out when things aren't functioning right so we can wait till it gets fixed. 

I've been passing on some of the figures and definitely the characters, because there's been a lot of releases. You'll be seeing more sets featured as I have a backlog of those that I have been getting when they're on sale (and there's frankly been some good sales, couldn't pass them up.)  I did buy the P3D gals when they were on sale, love those eyebrows! 

Left to my own devices (like when hubby goes off on a camping/fishing trip) my dinner is bananas on toast, a microwave frozen pastie or I hit the local fish'n'chip shop for potato scollops and chips. Heh. Luckily he doesn't go away for too long cos I'd be dead of a heart attack otherwise. I absolutely LOATHE cooking which is why I'm glad I married a man who loves to cook. Six years now, and the only time I cooked dinner was when I made him baked beans on toast when he got back late from a day of fishing. *grin* 

I picked up quite a few things during the PA sale and I keep meaning to come in and showcase them, but I have the World's Worst Memory (tm) or I find I'm running behind in my promos....or the laundry. LOL. 

And yeah, the first few days were HELLA tough on quitting smoking. I was a very heavy smoker so I honeslty didn't know if I was going to make it. But it's been...just over two weeks now I think, and while I'm still chewing the gum to get off the ciggies, I'm handling the cravings a LOT easier. :D I think this time I'm really going to do it, and I'm so proud of myself *laughs* It makes it easier tho knowing that I CAN spend a bit more money on my chosen drug - DAZ products - than I used to be able to. 

• Novica said:

Also looking at Walden Mill (I have the rest of the bundle or don't want it) which drops to $4.49  Did you notice it has a windmill in it?

I have Walden Mill

I've used the windmill by itself in a couple of scenes. It works pretty well.  

For whatever reason, I expected I would use the larger set a lot, but almost never do.

edited October 2016

Command Post      H&C School Sportswear B  (Gen3F)    Vyria      Side Tail Hair     Capsces Classy Eva 7  (works well on Genesis 3 gals- and very relaxed, not stiff.) 

For the first two, they're found here: 

Content Library>in Daz Studio folder Environments>Mely3D>Command Post

Content Library>in Daz Studio folder> People>Genesis 3 Female>Clothing>H&C Sportswear>School Sportswear B

6% at 45 minutes,  17% at 1:21 minutes-  and yes, I have all the props shut off in Scene (eye closed) that are not in the scene. About 60% of the entire scene. So since I have used Apocalyptic lights a lot previously, I don't think it's that. There are a lot of emissives in the set, so the extra lighting must be bogging me down (just guessing.) 

25% at TWO HOURS. On a fast computer. Wow.  It's only 700 x 800.

38% at 3 hours so I canceled it. Here it is. I am going to strip the scene and just keep the wall with her, and see how long it renders. 

CommandPost3hrs30Prcnt.jpg
    700 x 800 - 447K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    jakiblue said:

Left to my own devices (like when hubby goes off on a camping/fishing trip) my dinner is bananas on toast, a microwave frozen pastie or I hit the local fish'n'chip shop for potato scollops and chips. Heh. Luckily he doesn't go away for too long cos I'd be dead of a heart attack otherwise. I absolutely LOATHE cooking which is why I'm glad I married a man who loves to cook. Six years now, and the only time I cooked dinner was when I made him baked beans on toast when he got back late from a day of fishing. *grin* 

I picked up quite a few things during the PA sale and I keep meaning to come in and showcase them, but I have the World's Worst Memory (tm) or I find I'm running behind in my promos....or the laundry. LOL. 

And yeah, the first few days were HELLA tough on quitting smoking. I was a very heavy smoker so I honeslty didn't know if I was going to make it. But it's been...just over two weeks now I think, and while I'm still chewing the gum to get off the ciggies, I'm handling the cravings a LOT easier. :D I think this time I'm really going to do it, and I'm so proud of myself *laughs* It makes it easier tho knowing that I CAN spend a bit more money on my chosen drug - DAZ products - than I used to be able to. 

It took me 13 years of trying to quit smoking before I finally managed.  I started when I was thirteen.  I smoked for something like 26-28 years.  I've been cigarette free for 12 years now and its crazy how much better I feel.

edited October 2016

LOL, that almost sounds like a math problem!  But so happy you kicked the habit!   It helps that the environment has totally changed. Smokers used to be everywhere, in restaurants, stores, you name it. Now, designated smoking areas only. 

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

Command Post      H&C School Sportswear B  (Gen3F)    Vyria      Side Tail Hair     Capsces Classy Eva 7  (works well on Genesis 3 gals- and very relaxed, not stiff.) 

NOT SHOWN, BUT- Okay, now the wall, the floor and the character.   4% at 8 minutes          10% at 15 minutes.      12% at 21 minutes     14% at 30 minutes and quit. 

SHOWN: Now the character.

3 minutes 38%        4 minutes 53%         4 minutes 42 seconds 63%         5 minutes 40 seconds  72%    82% at 7 minutes.  17 minutes- done. So,  you get the gist. It's the set.

I'm going to do some tests on that jacket. I don't like the chest on these renders.

CommandPost17mindone.jpg
    600 x 800 - 137K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    Renomista said:
    Novica said:

BTW, another product you may not have noticed- the i13 Executive Office also has a storage room with boxes and a ladder.  Also an elevator. Description does NOT tell whether the doors open and close on any of the doors, anyone have this product who can check?

I have it.

I can check it tonight (European Time) when I'm back home

The Actual Doors have an open slider

The elevator is part of the wall object and non functional

edited October 2016

H&C School Sportswear B  (Gen3F)    

This is really weird. That outfit is absolutely HORRID on Vyria, but several other Gen3F females I tested it on, it is fluid and looks just like the promos. Why would it go so crumply and jagged under the breasts for one character? (go back and look at the full scene render.)  I tested both the shirt, and the jacket.

Post edited by Novica on

Thank you Renomista!

• barbultbarbult Posts: 23,050
    Novica said:

H&C School Sportswear B  (Gen3F)    

This is really weird. That outfit is absolutely HORRID on Vyria, but several other Gen3F females I tested it on, it is fluid and looks just like the promos. Why would it go so crumply and jagged under the breasts for one character? (go back and look at the full scene render.)  I tested both the shirt, and the jacket.

It has some Supported Shapes, like Mei lin, Josie, etc. If you use a character that uses that FBM, it should fit better. You could try smoothing and/or Fit Control to make it better on other shapes.
    edited October 2016

Hopefully you grabbed the Glamour Bedroom while in Fast Grab. I know it's hard to look past some ultra bright colors, or perhaps textures/materials you may not like, but just try to see the structures/props and think "SHADERS."  So all I did was change out the wall colors and textures (I just went into Textures and into different sets, these walls are actually a CARPET. )  The chair is part of the Glamour Bedroom props.

The wall on your left is the one with three blobs, I simply filled them in with the same texture as the wall, did about a minute of streaking postwork and done.

That's FWSA Finley (And Her Jewelry) wearing Vidra Hair, Fun Saturday Outfit (pants), Men's Shirt.  She's trying to figure out RW Classic Chess.

TIPS: Remember to change white items to gray in Diffuse so you get prettier shadows and avoid washouts.  Also, use Rotation when seating your figures in these kind of chairs. I tend to forget and use only translations. She is rotated slightly back into the chair.

EDIT: Looking at that shirt, it would be good for a server at that Steakhouse.

Lighting is Dimension Theory's DAZ Studio Iray HDR Outdoor Environments, using Maui. Environment Intensity 1.93, Environment Map 4.09, 

Film ISO 297.66, Exposure Value 12.65     In other words, crank it up on this one.

glamourbedrmFinlelyVidra.jpg
    900 x 800 - 493K
    Post edited by Novica on

"Hopefully you grabbed the Glamour Bedroom while in Fast Grab. I know it's hard to look past some ultra bright colors, or perhaps textures/materials you may not like, but just try to see the structures/props and think "SHADERS."  So all I did was change out the wall colors and textures (I just went into Textures and into different sets, these walls are actually a CARPET. )  The chair is part of the Glamour Bedroom props."

This is exactly what I intend to do with it. I think its going to be an amazingly versatile set and will also be quite useful for kitbashing with the right materials.

I don't know if anyone is watching Ati's thread but I picked up the Genesis Supersuit bundle for $21.95 with a new release (if you grab the 2.99 edwardian set it works).  Normally $99.  Has a TON of different looks from medieval to super hero to mech to sci fi.

edited October 2016

Thanks for the heads-up Ice Dragon Art.  People who don't have it should really give it a look.

BTW, I was tired so stopped fiddling with it, but that jacuzzi in the Glamour Bedroom would never show the water right- it was a black void. I tried putting lighting right over it, then used a box light and shot it up from the water, I did a water shader over the one that came with it, you name it. I just have a black square where the water should be. I turned up the emission on the lights that were already in it, nada, no go. I'll get back to it sometime, not going to get sidetracked with a product I'm not using anytime soon- but if someone renders that sucker and gets a gorgeous jacuzzi, please let us know the lighting that got it to show up. 

Post edited by Novica on
  • RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805
    edited October 2016

I purchased Movie Sets: River Front and am trying it out in Daz Studio. It's listed as Poser only but the vendor (Dreamlands Models) answered my question on their thread, which gave me enough encouragement to give it a try. I have a number of examples I posted on the same thread, so I'll only show a couple here. I use several of the Movie Sets: Low Poly Blocks, Merlin's The Church, and the Steel Town oil refinery.

Post edited by RGcincy on
    edited October 2016

New Addition Living Environment  Adore this set. It's huge. The vendor has all the lights done for you as one of the options. If you have trouble doing indoor lighting with Iray, this is a great set for you. (And even if you love doing lighting. And even if you don't care one way or the other. Or even if...) 

I love the look of the materials with the lighting- they look very real. The floor, the furniture- everything. 

Harley is wearing Anny Hair, Sunday Casuals: Basics   Which NOTE- the actual  outfit is NOT LOCATED IN GENESIS 3 FEMALE. It only has the materials there. You have to go to Genesis 2 to find the outfit. That seems like an error to me in file structure? If not, for sheer convenience if used for more than one generation, it should be in that generation.

Myrina for Olympia 7 is H&C Tight Sportswear shirt kitbashed with Business Suit pants. She's wearing Christina Hair.

When Women Decide To Move Furniture    (click to enlarge, huge render.) 

newAdditnLivingHarleyMyrina.jpg
    1422 x 1100 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on

Wow Rich, we were posting at the same time! Those sets all combined beautifully.  yes

• RGcincyRGcincy Posts: 2,805

Great minds think alike! wink

Glad you showed the New Addition Living Environment. I've put it on and off my wishlist a couple of times, back on again.

edited October 2016

Instead of $17.95- follow along:

you get it half off with a new release (I do PC+ items)  so that would be $8.97

then 10% (entire order so minus .90 is that $8.07

minus 20% for PC Members is -$1.61 means $6.46  (64% off.) 

So take a look at  the Tesla Studio Apartment  It offers huge windows for lighting ease, and I would think it'd make a good waiting room for a professional practice. If you look at the thumbs, you'll see two corridors. Perfect for a lawyer's office, real estate office, even a doctor's office.  Hide the fridge and probably that thing hanging down -if that can't be hidden, put some ivy around it or something, or just watch your camera view. It says kitchen for the prop, so you may have to take out the entire thing, but if so, there's other sets with counters. FirstBastion's Police Station has a counter, I don't know if the caption can be opagued out or not. (Isn't it weird what your mind knows? I thought counter, and thought of that product right away. Scary!) 

You can also put a plane over that ship image, and put one of your renders there for art. It's a big image area, so show off your art!  

Just thought I'd mention it. For $6.46 it gives you some options. You could even do a plane, texture the walls, break it into two rooms for a penthouse suite (Or do what I often do, steal the wall from another set that has a working door!)  I like the big windows and the corridor setup.

Wow, I have NEVER seen the site in such a disarray. It's a disaster. I feel bad for Rawb and the employees, but most of all the vendors. I'm shopping, even with the ones missing images, because if you click on the title some of the images are there. If it doesn't have an Add To Cart, please go to the Commons thread, I believe there is a workaround. Support the vendors if you can! 

Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.