Novica & Forum Members Tips & Product Reviews Pt 7

Comments

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170

I like Lilith 7.  I think her face shape and body are nicely done.  He default MATs have some nice details (as other threads have pointed out), but she's not the really pale-skinned character I'd hoped for.

I do, however, think she's gorgeous with a darker skin MAT (like Akasha) or a very pale MAT (like Ruby) applied instead of her defaults.  I think the darker skin tone suits her much better than her default one (but that's just my opinion).

All three attached images are Lilith 7 (no other morphs applied) with various skins.  Pose, hair, outfit, and expression are the exact same in each image.  The Ruby one uses Zev0's Brow Remover and Wow Brows.  The other two are as the skins load (no modifications).  It's amazing what skin tone and eyebrows will do for a character.  Not linking to products as this is not a review of them.

Lilith7_Akasha_final.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 152K
    Lilith7_Default_final.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 132K
    Lilith7_Ruby_Brows_final.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 136K
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Thanks for showing those- I like both the dark and the pale, gives a very different feeling, and agree, so do the brows. BTW, who did you use as your avatar base? Was it a gen4, 5, 6? Very striking. 

• Saba TaruSaba Taru Posts: 170

Thanks.  That's V4 with one of Maddelirium's skins and a couple of things from various stores rendered in Poser.  The roses are the Sugar Roses here at DAZ.  Can't remember what morph I used, though it's probably one by Surreality.  :)

• RenomistaRenomista Posts: 921
    Novica said:

LOL. Yeah, that's a bit skinny. Size -20 jeans. (Actually, I'll just say I did it on purpose to see if anyone was really reading the thread. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) 

DId anyone buy Lilith? How are you liking / not liking her?  I don't need more females unless they have brows that are thicker, natural. I have more than enough women with thinner/ brow liner. My Genesis 2 gals have the variety I need in body types, along with the Genesis 3. Uma comes to mind for a muscular type. (Connect only.)

I bought the Starter Ste + Bonny Hair + The Texture Pack for the Cage Dress, but did not find time to use it.

Novica said:

LOL. Yeah, that's a bit skinny. Size -20 jeans. (Actually, I'll just say I did it on purpose to see if anyone was really reading the thread. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.) 

DId anyone buy Lilith? How are you liking / not liking her?  I don't need more females unless they have brows that are thicker, natural. I have more than enough women with thinner/ brow liner. My Genesis 2 gals have the variety I need in body types, along with the Genesis 3. Uma comes to mind for a muscular type. (Connect only.)

I bought the Starter Set + Bonny Hair + The Texture Pack for the Cage Dress, but did not find time to use it.

edited November 2016

Meet A Little Princess!

Surprise!  PA_ThePhilospher and I thought it  would be cute to show you an UPCOMING PRODUCT, the adorable Teen Princess Leila, as a child using Growing Up. The attention to detail is wonderful (note the veins, subtle, in the forehead, in the promo pics in the linked commercial thread. ) Princess Leila is already in the QA process and in a few weeks she should be in the store. Love her! 

Here's the products used in my render:

Blooming For Josie 7     (nice, easygoing poses)                Brick Collection Merchant Resource-Vol3 (PBR Textures)  (used on the plane for background)        

Flanders Poppy   (Red flowers only)            The Secret Garden By Merlin  (ground plane, bench, which is quite lovely. A lot of character) 

Lisa's Botanicals for the day lilies, purple flowers.       Geneva Hair              Elven For Genesis 3 Female(s)

Lighting was Dumor's Iray HDRI Apocalyptic Plant Outdoors Set 1, with two point lights and one spotlight. Note I did a bit of desaturation in postwork. Her skin tone will vary depending on your lighting choices. She's easy to light, adorable to pose- face very fluid and takes expressions very well. Quite pleased and I'd definitely recommend keeping an eye out for her because she's very versatile- as an adult, then as a child. The eyebrows are quite natural, and you are going to get a no brow option, and different colored brows too. KUDOS to the vendor!

I love that ground plane in Merlin's Secret Garden. The bricks allow you to put plants in the squared off sections, and the texture of the sand/stones is quite nice and stands up to closeup renders. I use that garden alot for kitbashing, a must have!

princess2a.jpg
    1200 x 1200 - 1M
    Post edited by Novica on
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548

She's adorable!  The original figure is also absolutely stunning from what I saw.  I don't NEED anymore female characters but her skin is just amazing!

edited October 2016

Lol, I gave up on need vs want for the most part. But I have focused on sets during the current sale. 

Hope you folks in the Carolina's and Georgia are doing okay with Hurricane Matthew. This is as bad as they thought it'd be with the surge/flooding and some wind. Hang in there!

Post edited by Novica on
  • Novica said:

Meet A Little Princess!

Surprise!  PA_ThePhilospher and I thought it  would be cute to show you an UPCOMING PRODUCT, the adorable Princess Leila, as a child using Growing Up. The attention to detail is wonderful (note the veins, subtle, in the forehead, in the promo pics in the linked commercial thread. ) Princess Leila is already in the QA process and in a few weeks she should be in the store. Love her! 

Great work on the render Novica. She is looking very cute with the Growing Up morph applied. I never even thought to try applying morphs in that way, so it is a good confirmation for me to see her versatility. 

As always, if anyone has any questions or comments, please avail yourself to contacting me. This is my first character, so it is very helpful for me to get feedback from users. I will also continue to post updates in the commercial thread as she moves along through the testing process. 

-P

@PA_ThePhilospher   Thanks!  With that being your first character, the one question I was curious about- what was your favorite part of making a character?  I hope you make more, your store products are varied and very creative!

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854
    Novica said:

Hope you folks in the Carolina's and Georgia are doing okay with Hurricane Matthew. This is as bad as they thought it'd be with the surge/flooding and some wind. Hang in there!

There has been next to nothing on the news about the aftermath. To busy with politics and honestly I am more than a little frustrated not to know what has gone on in my state. I've taken this all very personal since I have been to many of the places worst hit by the storm and a fair bit of american history was at risk as well. We have one PA in Savanna and he has checked in even though he has no power. I am relieved about that. I have a cousin down there I need to check on as well, but as she is a police captain I don't think I will try and bug her for another day or so.

edited October 2016

Yeah, the governor of North Carolina was on Weather Channel complimenting them on how they stayed on the serious nature of this, the flooding is waaaaay past Floyd devastation and even Hugo, according to the Weather Channel and the governors. Once the hurricane wasn't a three, some of the news outlets were downplaying it as "only a Category Two and then only a Category One." It's still raining in parts of the Carolinas and the rivers haven't crested yet. Traffic is a parking lot on the interstates, taking cars to a two lane highway through a town. AWFUL. 

Khory, which state are you in?

Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

One product which I asked about, can be used to get those blocky, square teeth looking more natural. Surprisingly, that would be Fantasy Features- get the bundle. Also, it does quick morphs on the nose and mouth (mostly sizing though) and it will also pull the face out for a cat/dog type face. Did a quickie on Haley and put the mouth open, those teeth are deliberately a bit extreme (but still more real than square blocks. Not everyone  has perfect teeth!)  Trust me, you can get very nice natural looking teeth with the morphs.

fantasyfeaturesHaley.jpg
    877 x 920 - 489K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,276
    Novica said:

One product which I asked about, can be used to get those blocky, square teeth looking more natural. Surprisingly, that would be Fantasy Features- get the bundle. Also, it does quick morphs on the nose and mouth (mostly sizing though) and it will also pull the face out for a cat/dog type face. Did a quickie on Haley and put the mouth open, those teeth are deliberately a bit extreme (but still more real than square blocks. Not everyone  has perfect teeth!)  Trust me, you can get very nice natural looking teeth with the morphs.

Oh nice! Thank you! I'm sick of my characters looking like they have a mouth full of Chiclets. 

I really hope that Zev0 comes up with a Dental Plan for Genesis 3. 

edited November 2016

LOL- chiclets- well said! 

If you have Fangtastic, that also puts the more pointed ends on teeth and allows for individual molars to be raised and lowered. I think the Fantasy one does a better job and today was the first day I tried it. Sigh- too many products that I haven't even tried, that's why I don't need to buy any more!  So I like that people can use the squarer teeth if they like them, but also get a variety.

Post edited by Novica on

I'll load up another character from scratch and do a few quickie renders for you folks while Cake One is on sale during the PA sale. LOL- I just looked, didn't realize that vendor also did Fangtastic! 

edited October 2016

So I got to wondering, who has good teeth? First, I have to open the mouths and do an expression. I did mouth 16 at 63.2%  from Smile Delight (Geez, am I on a Cake One binge or what?)  I didn't work on the lighting, these are just quickies to see the teeth. 

Let's try Selina. Rating: A. No Chiclets for you there! DemonicaEvilius and Silver get a gold star. 

Now Pippa.  Rating: A. No Chiclets. Good going OziChick!

Bring on EJ Atsuko!  Rating: A.  EmmaAndJordi got it right. 

Well, I'm working on ZBrush so not testing any more, we all know the Chiclet mouth is out there, but glad to find 3 gals with good teeth!  If there's anyone you particularly like for their teeth, feel free to share.   EDIT: Another nice gal is Eliza.

teethSelina.jpg
    400 x 400 - 70K
    teethPippa.jpg
    400 x 400 - 71K
    teethAtsuko.jpg
    400 x 400 - 72K
    Post edited by Novica on
  • PA_ThePhilosopherPA_ThePhilosopher Posts: 1,039
    edited October 2016
    Novica said:

the one question I was curious about- what was your favorite part of making a character? 

Novica,

I suppose my favorite part was trying to do something new. I noticed that many of the female characters in the store tend to have the same square-jawed super-model look. So I wanted to create a young woman who did not fit that mold----someone with a more delicate and subtle beauty, with subtle and modest poses to match. I suppose I like to show beauty in simplicity, to show that sometimes less is more. I also enjoyed learning more about the feminine figure, and what makes a woman appear more graceful and elegant, such as slender wrists and a narrow neck. Her lips were also fun to make, with the slight drooping that is sometimes seen in Hollywood; it was an unintended effect when i was playing around, but I liked it so much it stuck. Making her skin was a very long process of trial and error. I never worked with sub-dermal maps before, so it took me a while to get things just right. I am very happy with her skin, although I think I can still do better.

There is so much to learn, as I am still a relatively new PA. 

-P

Post edited by PA_ThePhilosopher on

Selina looks great! Nice set of chompers on her. :)

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,552

I am going to be contrary but I actually prefer the perfect chiclet teeth. :-) 

edited October 2016

I am going to be contrary but I actually prefer the perfect chiclet teeth. :-) 

That's fine too! Some mixed in with non-Chiclet's gives a variety. These were done for me, just putzing last week, but happy to show them. (again, ignore the lighting)  And there's the squarer teeth, for the most part. The exact same smile was used for each one, I was testing the fluidity of the mouth. (And looking for puckers, which I don't particularly like in excess.)  EDIT: THESE ARE GENESIS 2 IN IRAY WITHOUT THE IRAY SKIN APPLIED, SO IGNORE THE MATERIALS. Just look at the smiles, eyebrows, etc.

Karina:

FR Greta

Destiny

Brisa

Last one, Estrella. This one you'll have to be careful with the poses you use, note the teeth overlap the lips. This was with a REDUCED smile, compared to the others. So not quite as flexible with the teeth "as is." Just use one of the morphs and take the teeth back a bit if you want a big smile, or use as is if you like the look.

smileKarina.jpg
    900 x 900 - 514K
    smileFRGreta.jpg
    900 x 900 - 532K
    smileDestiny.jpg
    900 x 900 - 502K
    smileBrisa.jpg
    900 x 900 - 549K
    smileEstrella36.70.jpg
    900 x 900 - 571K
    Post edited by Novica on
    edited October 2016

BTW, another product you may not have noticed- the i13 Executive Office also has a storage room with boxes and a ladder.  Also an elevator. Description does NOT tell whether the doors open and close on any of the doors, anyone have this product who can check?

With the Debut item, (I put Absolution of $4.79 in cart)  it's price is $9.16 if you are a PC+ member.  BTW, Miss Kitty's and the interior become 71 cents, and you can Iray UberBase, use a wood shader (or not) and probably have a decent, up to date Iray western interior.  Or use as-is for a background (render and put on a background plane.) 

Also looking at Walden Mill (I have the rest of the bundle or don't want it) which drops to $4.49  Did you notice it has a windmill in it?

Post edited by Novica on

I wanted to mention Strangefates Brutal Weapons and Poses.  I helped test these and they are fantastic.  Very intricate and detailed with sizing morphs and poses as silver and gold materials. The one in the shop is for both G3F and G3M.

edited October 2016

You've seen the child, now Princess Leila as an adult with dramatic lighting.  I can't wait for her to hit the store so everyone else can enjoy her.

princessleila.jpg
    600 x 600 - 184K
    Post edited by Novica on

She really has beautiful skin.

I wanted to mention Strangefates Brutal Weapons and Poses.  I helped test these and they are fantastic.  Very intricate and detailed with sizing morphs and poses as silver and gold materials. The one in the shop is for both G3F and G3M.

Feel free to post some renders or a link to your thread if you use them there. The poses look good too! Thanks for letting us know! 

Some of the stores are really acting up SIGH- Saiyaness was empty, then there, same with IH Kang. I picked his hospital gowns and sports jacket, did mostly Powerage with the Mayan Ruins,  Lost World, and also got The Sawmill. I did get that Executive Office. Sets, sets, sets! 

I second that - I really enjoy these weapons and poses! 

Novica said:

Feel free to post some renders or a link to your thread if you use them there. The poses look good too! Thanks for letting us know! 

Some of the stores are really acting up SIGH- Saiyaness was empty, then there, same with IH Kang. I picked his hospital gowns and sports jacket, did mostly Powerage with the Mayan Ruins,  Lost World, and also got The Sawmill. I did get that Executive Office. Sets, sets, sets! 

I have a couple renders I could share. I helped beta test them as well and really had a lot of fun with these. :)

Excellent weapons and poses! :)

Novica said:

BTW, another product you may not have noticed- the i13 Executive Office also has a storage room with boxes and a ladder.  Also an elevator. Description does NOT tell whether the doors open and close on any of the doors, anyone have this product who can check?

I have it.

I can check it tonight (European Time) when I'm back home

edited October 2016

Thank you Divamakeup and Renomista!  Ren- I already bought it,  I wasn't sure if it would still be on sale.  I'll explore other products though. Have you rendered it by chance?

I wanted to compare Odessa Hair and Kylan Hair, so while I had Princess Leila lit, I did a few more. The Odessa Hair is very goddess-like with the hair ornament, I find that hair to be oily looking/ wet/ sleek, while Kylan Hair has a lot of volume, is very dry. Odessa Hair also has hair wisps by the side of the face, which I hid, and you can eliminate the front tails (which I did.) LOL- it just struck me. The Odessa Hair looks like cake frosting-like the trim around birthday cake borders!

BTW, I know most of you are reading the daily sale thread, but if you're not, you should. Some people yesterday were getting prices below the orange banner discount (that was offered to many of us who already had the figure that was discounted)  that was below the discount offered, and they weren't even buying what was required. So make a habit of surfing that thread, as folks will tell you what is and isn't working right too.

Odessa Hair

Kylan Hair

princessleila2.jpg
    600 x 600 - 226K
    princessleila3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 218K
    Post edited by Novica on
This discussion has been closed.