October 2016 New User Contest - Atmosphere (WIP Thread)

Comments

• ewcarmanewcarman Posts: 180
    edited October 2016

What are the odds that someone else is working on a "bent backwards" pose for this contest? LOL!

dawnblade said:

@dawnblade smiley Well, I won't be entering, so the "bent backwards" entry is all yours. Do us all proud! (No pressure...)

A great start.  Her body position looks quite good but I am not sure about her hair.  The movement doesn't look quite right. 

@Kismet2012 The hair gave me no end of fits. I really just wanted it to hang down, but it really wants to conform to the back of her head. Also, the morphs will blow it around pretty well, but not straight back (which would be down in this case). I may end up replacing it with another hair if I can't get it sorted. Gravity based hair would be pretty cool - not sure if such a thing exists.

Given the WIP so far today, this looks like it will be a fun contest this month.

Post edited by ewcarman on
  • kanegskanegs Posts: 80
    kanegs said:

Here's idea #1 (Idea #2 is currently rendering):

Nice start on this one. I like the lighting from down the shaft.

Thanks! It was a bit of a pain to ballance the lighting.

Totte said:

That looks promising... is it just me but I see a tentacle coming out of that manhole in the next render....

I need to add something to motivate her. I always thought the barbed wire on the post-apocalyptic outfit was completely impractical, maybe it's anti-tentacle protection...

I'll try a few things once my other idea finishes rendering (it's at 6% after 13 hours).

• dracorndracorn Posts: 2,333
    dracorn said:

Here's version b of this one. Cheetah's not a one cat army now. She's got backup.

How about a rim light on Cheetah's companion to make him stand out a little from the background, especially silhouetted as he is. 

How about some flames a blazing?

That looks great - I didn't see the second guy without it. Add some backlighting to each character coming from the fire. Perhaps also add a gesture on the left soldier reacting to it, like his hand up to shield his face from the heat.
  • dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Here's version b of this one. Cheetah's not a one cat army now. She's got backup.

How about a rim light on Cheetah's companion to make him stand out a little from the background, especially silhouetted as he is. 

That looks great - I didn't see the second guy without it. Add some backlighting to each character coming from the fire. Perhaps also add a gesture on the left soldier reacting to it, like his hand up to shield his face from the heat.

Dang, 2 days in after I started this one and I'm already on version d. How's this dracorn?

oct2016-2d.png
    500 x 650 - 467K
  • IceDragonArtIceDragonArt Posts: 12,548
    ewcarman said:

What are the odds that someone else is working on a "bent backwards" pose for this contest? LOL!

dawnblade said:

@dawnblade smiley Well, I won't be entering, so the "bent backwards" entry is all yours. Do us all proud! (No pressure...)

A great start.  Her body position looks quite good but I am not sure about her hair.  The movement doesn't look quite right. 

@Kismet2012 The hair gave me no end of fits. I really just wanted it to hang down, but it really wants to conform to the back of her head. Also, the morphs will blow it around pretty well, but not straight back (which would be down in this case). I may end up replacing it with another hair if I can't get it sorted. Gravity based hair would be pretty cool - not sure if such a thing exists.

Given the WIP so far today, this looks like it will be a fun contest this month.

Try zero gravity hair from SAV over at that other site.  Take a good look at the morphs, I'm pretty sure that it will do what you need.

• DAZ_ann0314DAZ_ann0314 Posts: 2,783

Just a little note, for those interested, there is another "October Inspired" Contest going on here as well: October Freebie Contest

The Freebie Contest is a nice general contest for those new to 3D etc. You can find great Freebie sites for content to help fill in your runtimes a bit and its a really fun contest :) If you are interested in participating but have questions on the rules or anything, please feel free to PM me or e-mail me [email protected] :)

Oh ya freebies helped fill in a lot of gaps in my runtime.  If you need clothes make sure you check out Wilmaps site she does awesome clothes and has a huge collection of freebies on her site.  I believe her site is listed in the freebie thread as well but a google search will pull her up

• dstuffledstuffle Posts: 38
    edited October 2016

Here's Version 1 of my first idea.

Trapped.jpg
    1280 x 960 - 1M
    Post edited by dstuffle on
    dstuffle said:

Indiana Jane!  I like this. 

I am trying to figure out where the snake is coming from.  Is it water?  It seems a little truncated to me.

dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Dang, 2 days in after I started this one and I'm already on version d. How's this dracorn?

Yeah, looks like he got too close to the fire.  That adds more to our story.

edited October 2016

Here's the next render, where I have added lighting and some extra items.  My next step will be to add Above the Fog.

1 Lighting 09.jpg
    800 x 571 - 295K
    Post edited by dracorn on
    edited October 2016

Here is the start of mine.  This is at 61% but I didn't want to wait any longer as I have other stuff to add.  Some fog or mist etc.  Might need to add more light to her face as well. Might need to re arrange the front of her dress it gives her a bit of an odd shape I think.    Full size is better.

Elemental.png
    2000 x 1600 - 4M
    Post edited by IceDragonArt on

dracorn said:

Here's the next render, where I have added lighting and some extra items.  My next step will be to add Above the Fog.

Let me know how you get on with above the fog.  I have that but haven't used it yet and was considering it. I think I have a couple other things that might work as well.

dracorn said:

Let me know how you get on with above the fog.  I have that but haven't used it yet and was considering it. I think I have a couple other things that might work as well.

It will be my first messing with Above the Fog as well. 

• dracorn said:
    dstuffle said:

Indiana Jane!  I like this. 

I am trying to figure out where the snake is coming from.  Is it water?  It seems a little truncated to me.

The platform the alter is on is centered in a pond.  the snake is comming out of the water, but the lighting makes that hard to tell.

• LinwellyLinwelly Posts: 5,780
    edited October 2016

How to cheat a render time friendly atmosphere in 3delight (might work similar in Iray)

1: Prepare some Pre work in the imagemanipulation program of your choice, in my case that is Gimp 2.8
    for high enough resolution you should use something of 1000x1000 pixel or higher.
    I made myself something like a cloud hung rain sky with very washed colours. Save to a location you can easily find again.
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/cf/dbfd202007d0754a3ed1169499c602.jpg

2. Set up your scene as you wish for and save it. then create a new primitive plane (10x10m or any other size as you can increas or decrease to your needs later, and you need only one division. Rotate by 90 on the x-axis ( this will be important for the orientation of the image you load, you can later alter to your needs).
    In the surface tab choos opacity and browse to your image. Remember standart setting for the opacity colour in 3delight is black, so everthing back becomes translucent, anything with a gray scale according to the amount of black. For beauty reasons I load it into the diffuse as well. Sometimes it makes sense to load it to specular or Ambient, you will find out.
    This is what it looks like, Darius is here to symbolise a scene
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/87/91ec3d9d4d3f8ebc0d570b09b87618.jpg
    to make it more visible I set the ambient to white and maxed it, this might be useful for mist glowing in the sun or something of that sort.
    3. You could certainly use any other grey or white plane which gives a more evenly distributed atmospheric effect. This version has the advantage to alter the density to the place you put it.
    in this screenshot I have three of those planes in the row from camera perspective, I dialed the opacity down the more to the front the lower the opacity and I moved the "mist" into the valley between the foreground and the background panel.
    The first one is at a higher x rotation catching the shadows of the leaves from the "sun" Distant light. How you postition your lights can have very different effects to the resulting render.

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/88/907a45fe4a4209a89bd72c439cacae.jpg

from this scene this render resulted

http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/62/b465857c268591539e002b161d55f8.jpg

the same method was used here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/206301/
    or here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/97359
    one predominant advantage being render time, there is another one in this render with all those leaves that end up spiderwebbed with all fog cameras and uber volume things I tried

now you can go ahead and make all kinds of other atmospheric effects:
    http://www.daz3d.com/forums/uploads/FileUpload/a9/9f033b0d6cb3e018a909dfe51b357d.jpg
    which you could find used here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/108438/
     or http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/208981/ or http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/221851/
    end of shameless self-adulation...

I will put this up as well in my thread for others to be found

ps. the galleries seem to be wonky atm, I hope this is resolved soon

wolkenhimmel.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 99K
    atmosphere-cheat3.jpg
    1680 x 1010 - 571K
    atmosphere-cheat4.jpg
    1680 x 1010 - 2M
    maples.jpg
    1000 x 1618 - 2M
    examples.jpg
    1000 x 1000 - 309K
    Post edited by Linwelly on
  • dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

Balneae prop, G3M with new Arcane Summoner outfit, Argenou hair, and a pose from the Sorcerer poses for Genesis. Overcast sky from LDP-R. Rendered in 3Delight.

I removed the flames from the black braziers because one would think they would be extinguished from the tornado.

I also hid the flags even though I liked them. The problem is that they should appear to be blowing in the wind due to the tornado, but they don't have styles for movement.

I used Ron's War Essentials for the tornado, his Hydro Explosion brushes for the water splashes, and his Light Fusion brushes and styles for the magic that the mage is using to summon the tornado.

Huge learning curve for me. I initially started with effects above each of the braziers, culminating in effects above the mage. Had to scratch it. Just couldn't work it right.

As always, I appreciate your feedback.

ContestOct2016A.jpg
    1214 x 858 - 645K
  • SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648
    edited October 2016

Here is my WIP I know the fog is.....well too blown up and not sure how to fix that.

Rendered in Daz Studio, 3Delight using toon shaders, no postwork as of yet.

!!Cartoon Halloween Fog .png
    1500 x 927 - 2M
    Post edited by Saphirewild on

Here's idea #2:

atmos-demon1.jpg
    1024 x 1024 - 670K
    edited October 2016
    Linwelly said:

How to cheat a render time friendly atmosphere in 3delight (might work similar in Iray)

1: Prepare some Pre work in the imagemanipulation program of your choice, in my case that is Gimp 2.8
    for high enough resolution you should use something of 1000x1000 pixel or higher.
    I made myself something like a cloud hung rain sky with very washed colours. Save to a location you can easily find again.

2. Set up your scene as you wish for and save it. then create a new primitive plane (10x10m or any other size as you can increas or decrease to your needs later, and you need only one division. Rotate by 90 on the x-axis ( this will be important for the orientation of the image you load, you can later alter to your needs).
    In the surface tab choos opacity and browse to your image. Remember standart setting for the opacity colour in 3delight is black, so everthing back becomes translucent, anything with a gray scale according to the amount of black. For beauty reasons I load it into the diffuse as well. Sometimes it makes sense to load it to specular or Ambient, you will find out.
    This is what it looks like, Darius is here to symbolise a scene

to make it more visible I set the ambient to white and maxed it, this might be useful for mist glowing in the sun or something of that sort.
    3. You could certainly use any other grey or white plane which gives a more evenly distributed atmospheric effect. This version has the advantage to alter the density to the place you put it.
    in this screenshot I have three of those planes in the row from camera perspective, I dialed the opacity down the more to the front the lower the opacity and I moved the "mist" into the valley between the foreground and the background panel.
    The first one is at a higher x rotation catching the shadows of the leaves from the "sun" Distant light. How you postition your lights can have very different effects to the resulting render.

from this scene this render resulted

the same method was used here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/206301/
    or here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/97359
    one predominant advantage being render time, there is another one in this render with all those leaves that end up spiderwebbed with all fog cameras and uber volume things I tried

now you can go ahead and make all kinds of other atmospheric effects:

which you could find used here http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/108438/
     or http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/208981/ or http://www.daz3d.com/gallery/#images/221851/
    end of shameless self-adulation...

I will put this up as well in my thread for others to be found

Linwelly, you totally ROCK!  Thank you for this tutorial, I will definately try this out (maybe in my current render!).  I am going to copy this in my notes, too.

For some reason, the images for Raban-art-trade and Survive would not load.  I really like Elves Autumn. 

Post edited by dracorn on

Ya that's going in my notebook as well thank you Linwelly!

kanegs said:

Here's idea #2:

That's pretty creepy (in a good way).  Do the doors open at all?  Right now his arm (my right) looks a bit like its floating because of the way the door cuts it up.  Maybe you could open it a bit more, or maybe have him grasping the door with his fingers curled around the edge to pull it open? 

Here is my WIP I know the fog is.....well too blown up and not sure how to fix that.

You could try and reduce the opacity of the fog before you toon it.  What are you using for the fog?

dawnblade said:

Balneae prop, G3M with new Arcane Summoner outfit, Argenou hair, and a pose from the Sorcerer poses for Genesis. Overcast sky from LDP-R. Rendered in 3Delight.

I removed the flames from the black braziers because one would think they would be extinguished from the tornado.

I also hid the flags even though I liked them. The problem is that they should appear to be blowing in the wind due to the tornado, but they don't have styles for movement.

I used Ron's War Essentials for the tornado, his Hydro Explosion brushes for the water splashes, and his Light Fusion brushes and styles for the magic that the mage is using to summon the tornado.

Huge learning curve for me. I initially started with effects above each of the braziers, culminating in effects above the mage. Had to scratch it. Just couldn't work it right.

As always, I appreciate your feedback.

You did a fantastic job with Ron's brushes!

dracorn said:
    dracorn said:
    dracorn said:

Yeah, looks like he got too close to the fire.  That adds more to our story.

I agree this is much better. One thing I noticed, the gun hanging from them hand of the guy on my left, is cut off just a bit at the bottom which is nagging at me.  also because the gun is pointing in exactly the same direction as his arm, its difficult to distinguish what's his arm and what's gun since its back lit. A very slight change in the angle of the gun would most likely fix that.

• SaphirewildSaphirewild Posts: 6,648

You could try and reduce the opacity of the fog before you toon it.  What are you using for the fog?

Thanks for the advise Icedragon and I am using RDNA Weather fog I tryed to do the god ray stuff and failed so I went with the RDNA fog

Thanks for the advise Icedragon and I am using RDNA Weather fog I tryed to do the god ray stuff and failed so I went with the RDNA fog

Don't feel too bad I am still trying to learn the god rays myself.  My last attempt was not that stellar lol.

• dawnbladedawnblade Posts: 1,723

You did a fantastic job with Ron's brushes!

Thank you Ice Dragon Art!

• XangthXangth Posts: 127
    edited October 2016

Here is one idea I was playing with I thought would be good for this contest. I am working on some other ideas although I do not have some of the resources needed for the Daz studio, I will think of something. The first one is a Bryce 7 pro render with a Daz charactor created with the creature creator. 

(Congrats to the winners of the last contest, everyone does such fantastic work it is hard to compete and always a fun challange.)

Title: Night Creature

night_creature.jpg
    1200 x 563 - 109K
    Post edited by Xangth on