FILES are EMPTY!

edited November 2012 in Hexagon Discussion

I have about 100 Files I made in HEX over the last year. When I go to open them they are empty! When I go to import them they are empty!!!! HEX 2.5.1.79 on MAC OS 10.5.8

PLEASE ADVISE!

Post edited by richard.chaos_91798ec102 on

Comments

• ds-mail_2e0cb9c256ds-mail_2e0cb9c256 Posts: 70
    edited December 1969

Is file size = 0.0? or a normal .hxn file size?

Can you open in a different version of Hex?

Any error msgs?

All made using 2.5.1.79?

Any system changes recently?

File blocked by AV program?

Can you open .hxn file with a .txt or other file viewer like filesnoop?

• edited December 1969

DougS said:
    Is file size = 0.0? or a normal .hxn file size?

Can you open in a different version of Hex?

Any error msgs?

All made using 2.5.1.79?

Any system changes recently?

File blocked by AV program?

Can you open .hxn file with a .txt or other file viewer like filesnoop?

1) File size does read as having information in/on all of them form 2.1 MB to 4 k
    2) NO error messages
    3) I am pretty sure they were all made in the latest version. I plan to try to open them on my older g4 with an older version after work
    4) Well I did copy the folder onto an external drive then onto a brand new MACPRO running mountain lion but I dont even have a version of HEX on it. so never even thought of using them on my new machine,THEN copied the HEX folder onto a thumb drive then back onto my power mac g-5 where I do my hex work on the latest version of hex..

I might also and there are like 3 files in the this bunch that will open BUT they have one one object of 2 maybe 3..... All the rest have a long list of objects... BUT there are others that only have one object and they will not open either

• edited December 1969

I just tried to open these files on a lower version of HEX NO JOY!

I am building a very complicated model and needed an object I made last year to build around it. One of my better more time consuming ones. APparently its gone now since now of my old HEX files are usable. Greta to know you can never trust that an file you save in hex will be there tomorrow! What a program.

I got lucky and had to EXPORT this object OUT of carrara as a OBJ file! Since it converts it to a obejct file its rather unusable to me in hex except as a sstand in for what I want to do at this time!

Good thing I saved the carrara files I used these HEX object in BUT now its obvious if I want to tweek the model any I can not do it in HEX but will have to in Carrara what a pain in the arse!

No wonder its free!

• edited December 1969

I had this problem on an old PowerPC Mac running Tiger. The new free version of Hexagon (2.5.1.79) wouldn't open my old files saved from a previous version.

Then my old Mac broke and wasn't worth repairing. So I got a new Mac running Mountain Lion and loaded the new version of Hexagon on that.

It now opens all my old files...

• edited November 2012

Are these files actually HXN files? Or are they OBJ, DXF, etc...?

Files have "fingerprints" you can look at in a hex editor to find the beginning, the end, and/or various other content information of the file.

HXN files start with the ASCII letters "HEXA" and end with ASCII "EOF" as shown in my accompanying snapshot (my files also have 5 spaces [20h] following the "EOF" but since EOF stands for (E)nd (O)f (F)ile, they may be spurious characters. I removed the 5 spaces from one file and it opened in hex just fine).

A good reason to check this on your files is that it provides you with a "confidence check" that the files are probably intact and complete and that something else (which is more likely to be easily reparable) is wrong rather than the files themselves being damaged.

hexhex.JPG
    804 x 306 - 117K
    Post edited by emfederin_9bc0c524c8 on
  • ausairausair Posts: 0
    edited November 2012

It would be worth testing if the files open Ok on a Windows machine and hex 2.5.1.79 to see if it a incompatibility issue with Mac OS.

Although the tech specs say Hex is compatible with 10.2 to 10.6

Post edited by ausair on