Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

•  

New product you've been hearing about? Do tell - inquiring minds want to know . . .

I had some brief discussions with DAZ about a year and a half ago, but that's it (no reason to beat that dead horse). I currently have nothing in the works to be sold here at DAZ, but I do, however, still enjoy rendering all sorts of DAZ content in various NPR styles ;)

- Greg

Dang! I had hoped it was your product with this awesome technique I so want for my own, lol. After realizing there was no luck of that, I'll have to look it up and see where I read it and get back to you. 

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

djigneo wrote about it in this thread. Hope it appears in the store soon!

New product you've been hearing about? Do tell - inquiring minds want to know . . .

I had some brief discussions with DAZ about a year and a half ago, but that's it (no reason to beat that dead horse). I currently have nothing in the works to be sold here at DAZ, but I do, however, still enjoy rendering all sorts of DAZ content in various NPR styles ;)

- Greg

Dang! I had hoped it was your product with this awesome technique I so want for my own, lol. After realizing there was no luck of that, I'll have to look it up and see where I read it and get back to you. 

• djigneo wrote about it in this thread. Hope it appears in the store soon!

Was it this one? http://www.daz3d.com/forums/discussion/comment/1585516/#Comment_1585516

Yes, WillowRaven. That's it. There have been several renders in the thread using various techniques provided by that product. They're pretty awesome. It's a must-buy for me when it hits the store.

• nohiznguyennohiznguyen Posts: 262
    edited September 2016

laughlaughlaugh

daz003.jpg
    538 x 1000 - 211K
    Post edited by nohiznguyen on
  • Click to play video

using Carrara's NPR  and a bit of padding with Slomovideo

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631

nice vid Wendy

is this a native Carrara renderer ?

and does it have options for colouring maybe ?

ToeJam said:

Click to play video

using Carrara's NPR  and a bit of padding with Slomovideo

That's pretty dang awesome! Makes me wish I had more time to learn more stuff. Some day!

Why do some of the objects distort, though. Is that part of Slomovideo?

• WendyLuvsCatzWendyLuvsCatz Posts: 37,793
    edited September 2016

Yes thats slomovideo tweening the frames, the undoctored faster bit is shown after each clip, I repeated it.

yes it does colour and a choice of brushstrokes in adjustable sizes and directions.

This it a pen and wash affect I was trying

Post edited by WendyLuvsCatz on
  • @ToeJam  I did realize you had changed your username!  I've seen several of your videos on your YouTube channel.  I really liked these two animations.

ToeJam said:

Yes thats slomovideo tweening the frames, the undoctored faster bit is shown after each clip, I repeated it.

yes it does colour and a choice of brushstrokes in adjustable sizes and directions.

Okay, I didn't realize that was the difference between the slow and fast sections. Must learn to be more observant, lol. :)  Both videos are way cool. ;)

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,574
    edited October 2016

Been playing some more with the Blind Demon - made a new opacity map for his wing feathers, and wanted to give him somebody to play with. Admittedly, I ended up spending more time than I had planned messing around with his new anime angel toy:

On a technical note, some of the styles are new, while some have been kickin around for quite a while now. As I render each new scene, it never ceases to amaze me how I still manage to find things that need tweaking in the code . . .

- Greg

inkAnd1more.png
    660 x 858 - 806K
    ink.png
    660 x 858 - 680K
    bw-00001.png
    660 x 858 - 436K
    epsilon-00001.png
    660 x 858 - 1M
    fff-00001.png
    660 x 858 - 568K
    Post edited by algovincian on
  • Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I think my favorite is the parchment style. It just screams, well, DaVinci.

Go figure. ;)

• I'm having a harder time deciding which I like better.  I love the parchment type because, yeah, that just screams "look at me I'm wicked cool!"  But, I'm really loving that first one with the color!  They are ALL good, though.  :)

• WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724

Please, please, please how I can get these effects in a semi-productive timeframe. Are you putting together a product? Is it a Daz filter or Photoshop filter or both? 

Been playing some more with the Blind Demon - made a new opacity map for his wing feathers, and wanted to give him somebody to play with. Admittedly, I ended up spending more time than I had planned messing around with his new anime angel toy:

On a technical note, some of the styles are new, while some have been kickin around for quite a while now. As I render each new scene, it never ceases to amaze me how I still manage to find things that need tweaking in the code . . .

- Greg

• dreamfarmerdreamfarmer Posts: 2,128

He has a genie in a bottle that unfortunately can't be shared. We can, at least, appreciate the artistry. The first one with the color, lovely, but even more awesome is the composition. Who is who's toy there, I wonder?

• He has a genie in a bottle that unfortunately can't be shared. We can, at least, appreciate the artistry. The first one with the color, lovely, but even more awesome is the composition. Who is who's toy there, I wonder?

Yeah, I love Greg's composition.  I think the new anime angel can give as good as she gets when it comes to the demon.  I love her expression.  :)

• RuphussRuphuss Posts: 2,631
    ToeJam said:

looks like you had to colourize every frame by hand

did you ?

Please, please, please how I can get these effects in a semi-productive timeframe. Are you putting together a product? Is it a Daz filter or Photoshop filter or both? 

Sorry to disappoint, but I'm not currently working on any products to be sold here at DAZ. As far as the technology goes, it's much more complicated than a DAZ/Photoshop filter. In short, it's a 2-step process - the scene is analyzed, and then this info is used to make decisions about what strokes are made. I've tried (and failed) to explain it many times before, so I won't bore people with another attempt lol.

- Greg

He has a genie in a bottle that unfortunately can't be shared. We can, at least, appreciate the artistry. The first one with the color, lovely, but even more awesome is the composition. Who is who's toy there, I wonder?

Yeah, I love Greg's composition.  I think the new anime angel can give as good as she gets when it comes to the demon.  I love her expression.  :)

Yeah - she is determined to not back down! While doing the poses, I was imagining a huge bear coming into the back yard from the woods. Luckily, there's a cute little dog (seamingly harmless) defiantly standing their ground. Rediculous situation, but somehow the bear submits lol.

Both of your comments are greatly appreciated. I get so immersed in the technical aspects because it's necessary, but most of the scenes/content I render are little more than tests of one aspect or another. I feel it's important to remember what this tech will ultimately be used for - to illustrate stories in an artistic/efficient manner.

- Greg 

I think my favorite is the parchment style. It just screams, well, DaVinci.

Go figure. ;)

I've often wondered what Leonardo would be able to accomplish/create if he had access to computers . . .

- Greg

ToeJam said:

Your videos are great! Very cool stuff. Everything always get so much more 3 dimensional once a little motion is added - which explains why the Ken Burns pan/zoom style of displaying stills is so popular.

- Greg

• 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

For sure! My money is on the angel! lol :) 

@algovincian I adore the new renders, Greg! The demon vs angel one is AWESOME! heart She is so going to kick his ass. lol (At least in my head lol). 

• DiomedeDiomede Posts: 15,073

Excellent use of the native NPR engine.  I take it the first scene (Library) used only the NPR's outline, but which combination of outline, diffuse, highlight, shadow, background did you use to get the pen and wash effect?  Did you use a preset brush or make a custom brush?  Very nicely done. 

ToeJam said:

• poeticpoetic Posts: 8
    edited October 2016

This is the cover art for my storytelling video game using DAZ models. Hope this is non-photorealistic enough :)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/w4lOMH4aJZsNd4Hxf8cql_J18Jsf9MapVBgygCsq7JnzDBu90cl7FpXVRDu-MYUBK76o7fNo_iebK_ws2QU2-zwjVRFHZPx-Yk-JoJxCycLtr9_lOd2DMSZ2kt50urZSF67DHVK2

If you would like to read more about the game, here is a DAZ forum link. Any feedback or comments are welcome.

You can watch my teaser video 'Something More' on youtube here.

Post edited by poetic on

wash settings

Capture.JPG
    255 x 577 - 60K

lineart

Capture.JPG
    1928 x 1080 - 443K
  • WillowRavenWillowRaven Posts: 3,724
    ToeJam said:

lineart

Very cute :D

Has anyone got LineRender9000? If so, care to post some renders? 

I'm really curious about that product and as a financially challenged individual spending the money on it would be kind of a big deal. I'd love to see some more renders with it to help me make up my mind. :) That product is right up this thread's alley, so I thought I'd post the query here. :)

This discussion has been closed.