Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    Yes!!! That's exactly it! :)

I'm really surprised I've never seen this done before - it seems like a really obvious enhancement. I like those even better, having seen them, than I did just speculating about them :).

Glad you like them, because I liked them so much they are now a part of her. I just saved her and the rings as a new character and she will load with her jewelry now. Thanks for the great idea and I look forward to seeing other images based on this idea.

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

And for the TOS antennae, they could make the rings either two-parters held together with magnets (can't slip 'em past the "dish" at the end unless it's flexible, you know), or make them more bracelet-like with a gap to allow slipping them onto the antenna.

Nice suggestion, Ptrope. Good work, Shadowhawk.

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

It's pure SACRILEGE, but that is what makes it so cool :)

edited December 1969

A little ship on ship action for U :)

romulan-attack-sml.jpg
    1092 x 1400 - 238K
  • RedfernRedfern Posts: 1,574
    edited December 1969

If one counts a design that was made but we never saw clearly "in story", then as early as 1979's "Star Trek: the Motion Picture", we had Andorians with visibly human ears in addition to their antennae. The antennae themselves were radically changed, being relocated from the back third of the skull to the forehead, and tapered into thin "feelers", losing the "lobe"-like structure they had the three times they were depicted in the classic series. You can see the design on the linked page.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Andorian_female_2270s.jpg

But since no close-up footage appears in any of the distributed cuts of the film, some fans opted to discount that design. Alas, with the release of the fourth movie, "The Voyage Home", we were shown a bald Andorian who, though having antennae closely matching Fred Phillips' sculpt debuted in "Journey to Babel", also had clearly visible human ears, thus negating the long standing fanon notion the antennae were auditory receptors.

Next Generation briefly depicted a holodeck image of an Andorian nearly everyone wants to discount...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Lal_as_Andorian.jpg

...and finally with Enterprise we meet Shran and the design appears to be a blending of the "...Babel" motif and the "unseen" design from ST:tMP. The antennae sprout from the upper forehead but they retain a lobe-like structure, just somewhat smaller.

I'm definitely "old school" and grew up the notion the antennae were their "ears". But to avoid any controversy, I just make sure any Andorians I depict have hair that cover the sides of their heads. Thus I leave it the viewer to decide if they have human ears or not.

Sincerely,

Bill

edited December 1969

Jean-Luc Picard

picard-sml.jpg
    1170 x 1500 - 219K
  • patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

Those are all some neat renders. Everybody's work has been improving for sure.

Back a bit there were some requests for various speech utilities. And I know many like "free", so, the pickings are slim but there are these 2 programs available. One is freeware, one is now freeware. The technology is 'old' and afaik, no longer supported. So I installed them outside of the official program folders in W7.
    Speakonia seems to work as it claims.
    M.A.S.H. which was worked well in XP, seems to be having some issues in W7 however on this computer I don't discount software conflicts. I installed several of the extra characters for it and got the usual W7 warning flags ... just ok the failure notice and then the confirmation notice which immediately pops up [if this occurs on your computer, my AV tends to delay a few things which can cause installation burbs],
    Both use .txt files.

I also tripped over a wonderful way to get 'text to speech in Office 2007'.

Of course with any program reading text, one can use the sound recorder or recording software to capture the reading and convert it to a file for use in making one's films.

n.b. these are those 'computer voices'.

http://www.bellcraft.com/mash/screenshots.aspx
    Don't forget to download the extra characters!

http://download.cnet.com/Speakonia/3000-7239_4-10125328.html?part=85105&subj=dlpage&tag=button

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUJ2KC3TqX0 Adding text to speech to M$Word 2007

edited December 1969

Bill, I remember in high school reading an educational magazine's two-part adaptation by D.C. Fontana of Journey to Babel (who wrote the script), and in there was a line where Kirk explicitly said the antennae were their organs of hearing. I base my stubborn insistence on that. [grin]

Alas, I didn't keep my copies (they were freebies at our particular school, and probably many others).

Patience, I'll check out those utilities a bit later. They sound like fun.

edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    Bill, I remember in high school reading an educational magazine's two-part adaptation by D.C. Fontana of Journey to Babel (who wrote the script), and in there was a line where Kirk explicitly said the antennae were their organs of hearing. I base my stubborn insistence on that. [grin]

Alas, I didn't keep my copies (they were freebies at our particular school, and probably many others).

The M.A.S.H. one can certainly be fun. The characters can be moved all over the screen and embedded in webpages. [needed to have a special albeit free license/permission from Microsoft for public pages]

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    edited December 1969

Thalek said:

we all know the only organs Kirk was every interested on weren't on the ladies' heads

edited December 1969

TimG said:
    Thalek said:

we all know the only organs Kirk was every interested on weren't on the ladies' heads

Depended on the species. [grin]

• edited December 1969

mylochka said:

Where are we with the TNG era Klingon textures? Is someone still working on those? or does that need to go on my list too?

I'm working on it! I'm working on it!

Here's the update. The tunic is M4 Valiant. The pants and boots are M4 Fairy Tale Prince. The gauntlets, collar, belt, beltbuckle, and holster are all props that will be included. Am I forgetting anything?

bob02.jpg
    812 x 748 - 136K
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

The Comic is coming along..here is page 12

Empress Howard, Empress's Dagger Deanna Troi and Captain Kristen McAlley.

If I've missed any freebies...let me know please.

Thanks.

-Paul

Frame_12.jpg
    700 x 917 - 501K
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

In order to aid the "Andorian Beautification Project" ;), I went hunting and found Draconian's V3 Andorian forehead morphs, which he created to complement his antennae. I've combined them with the antennae in one zip file, which includes both ReadMe files and all of the files from the original zips (which I no longer have, but Draconian included inventories in his ReadMe files :) ).

The morphs are OBJ files, not INJ, and the ReadMe includes instructions for loading them as morph targets. Of course, once you've done that, there's no reason why you couldn't save them as regular morphs ;).

Draconian's Andorian Antennae Pack

PDSmith, feel free to add this to the freebies list where it is; since it's Draconian's creation, I don't feel I could upload this to a hosting site like ShareCG, but I think I can handle hosting the 1 Mb file for others to download - the requests for these seem to turn up every few months, so we might as well keep them online ;). The ReadMe files do allow redistribution as long as the zip files contain all the original files and the ReadMe, and Draconian gets the credit (richly deserved! :) ).

V3_Andorian.png
    91 x 91 - 9K
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    In order to aid the "Andorian Beautification Project" ;), I went hunting and found Draconian's V3 Andorian forehead morphs, which he created to complement his antennae. I've combined them with the antennae in one zip file, which includes both ReadMe files and all of the files from the original zips (which I no longer have, but Draconian included inventories in his ReadMe files :) ).

The morphs are OBJ files, not INJ, and the ReadMe includes instructions for loading them as morph targets. Of course, once you've done that, there's no reason why you couldn't save them as regular morphs ;).

Draconian's Andorian Antennae Pack

List has been updated....second from the top...just after the first Antennae.

-Paul

• Ryuu@AMcCFRyuu@AMcCF Posts: 617
    edited December 1969

Redfern said:
    If one counts a design that was made but we never saw clearly "in story", then as early as 1979's "Star Trek: the Motion Picture", we had Andorians with visibly human ears in addition to their antennae. The antennae themselves were radically changed, being relocated from the back third of the skull to the forehead, and tapered into thin "feelers", losing the "lobe"-like structure they had the three times they were depicted in the classic series. You can see the design on the linked page.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Andorian_female_2270s.jpg

But since no close-up footage appears in any of the distributed cuts of the film, some fans opted to discount that design. Alas, with the release of the fourth movie, "The Voyage Home", we were shown a bald Andorian who, though having antennae closely matching Fred Phillips' sculpt debuted in "Journey to Babel", also had clearly visible human ears, thus negating the long standing fanon notion the antennae were auditory receptors.

Next Generation briefly depicted a holodeck image of an Andorian nearly everyone wants to discount...

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:Lal_as_Andorian.jpg

...and finally with Enterprise we meet Shran and the design appears to be a blending of the "...Babel" motif and the "unseen" design from ST:tMP. The antennae sprout from the upper forehead but they retain a lobe-like structure, just somewhat smaller.

I'm definitely "old school" and grew up the notion the antennae were their "ears". But to avoid any controversy, I just make sure any Andorians I depict have hair that cover the sides of their heads. Thus I leave it the viewer to decide if they have human ears or not.

Sincerely,

Bill

I pretty much agree, Bill. I would've preferred the Andorians just had antennae, but perhaps I'm a little more open to the idea from the years I played with the FASA Trek RPG back in the '80s & '90s.

Despite the obvious, and sometimes unfortunate, laziness/cost-cutting results of the makeup departments on the various shows and films, we should remember that nothing in canon actually dictates that Andorians can't have both types of auditory organs--a lower frequency "ear" & a higher frequency range "antenna". If I recall, the article about the Andorians from FASA had said as much.

While it might be pushing Trek-science to suggest that a species could truely evolve two distinct hearing organs, there is prescedence in nature: Pit-vipers have both eyes that can see normal light & heat-sensing pits on their faces--the shape of the dimples helps the snakes determine the direction and distance of warm-blooded prey--which essentially gives them a rudementary infrared "vision". Perhaps if the snakes are given a evolutionary reason to enhance those organs, in a hundred million years or so, we may even find a few that develop true infrared eyes.

BTW, that FASA article did, after all, describe Andorians having four "sexes"--decades before "Enterprise" made it canon.

edited December 1969

Created as a request by master-ninjabear ( http://master-ninjabear.deviantart.com/ ) as a cover for his Star Trek TNG Novel: Lost & Found which can be read here: http://deepspace13shipyard.angelfire.com/index.html

rendered in Daz Studio 4.5 Pro - (quite a few layers)
    postwork done in Photoshop CS5
    background created using stocks by frostbo and myself

Lost-and-Found-cover-sml.jpg
    1120 x 1450 - 241K
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    If Andorians didn't have ears, how would they keep glasses on their heads?

As a glasses-wearer, I've often wondered that. I speculate that they would have found a method that suited them. There have been many different techniques used by humans over the centuries as well.

As a participant in the SCA, I've also wondered just how you would design a knight's helmet for an Andorian. I never came up with any practical answers, though.

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    If Andorians didn't have ears, how would they keep glasses on their heads?

First, drink the contents. Then, use a blob of glue.

Wait, that doesn't sound right even to me... ;-)

edited December 1969

Actually, if the contents contain alcohol, it sounds very good to me! [grin]

edited December 1969

Then of course there's the few people already who 'hear' through the skin on their face!

• edited December 1969

Good news and bad news. The good news is that I'm done with the Romulan Tunic and Tabbard textures and will be releasing them as a freebie soon. The bad news is that I'm not even going to try making MAT Poses this time. I'll include all the texture files and Material files so that, even if you have to load everything manually, you'll still be able to use it whether you use Poser or Daz.

RomulansWIP.jpg
    812 x 748 - 226K
  • edited December 1969

Well, it's in Renderosity's hands now. I'll post a link as soon as they accept it.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,221
    edited November 2012

RawArt's Rae-El Demon makes for an interesting crew member

Demon.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 156K
    Post edited by Timbales on
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

Not as obvious as I wished, but I gave a go at antenna jewelry, too - this is also a bracelet ("Kyrie 2" - unfortunately, it's been in my runtime so long that I have no idea who created it :( ), which I scaled and then duplicated and placed on both stalks. I hope we'll see more of this sort of thing - it just seems so obvious!

Also, I used the DAZ alien morph pack for V3 to add some forehead sculpting to her, and to eliminate her ears. The hair is AprilYSH's "Rievel" (love this piece!), which includes ear location morphs, so I just 'lowered her ears' until the gap was filled in.

Andorian_Jewel001.jpg
    720 x 890 - 125K
    edited November 2012

thought I would get in on the andorians with antenna adorements
    best seen at DeviantArt

http://mototsume.deviantart.com/art/Andorian1-337845692?ga_submit_new=10%3A1352966657

andorian1-sml.jpg
    1170 x 1500 - 239K
    Post edited by MotoTsume on
    edited November 2012

Noticeing most people are putting rings on their Andorian's antenna with the exception of Roy (Shadowhawk1)...his Andorian has her's pierced as well.

Since this tiny appendage is loaded down with nerve clusters according to Memory Alpha and Beta..I propose peirce the stalk would be the same as a 'Prince Albert'. Those who have them...wear them proudly.

Agreed?

Post edited by PDSmith on
This discussion has been closed.