Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• wolfgang_1wolfgang_1 Posts: 0
    edited December 1969

crownlion said:
    ok there is a website that has a ground vehicle that looks and could be used for star trek. i belive it is lwo format. i can not find the website but i have seen it before on the forum i do not know how far back. does anyone know of a website it has a few on it that could be used

Try this:http://www.trekmeshes.ch/
  • crownlioncrownlion Posts: 117
    edited December 1969

yup that was the one i was looking for thanks

• shadowhawk1shadowhawk1 Posts: 2,184
    edited December 1969

Hey everyone, just a quick update the poser files are complete and Paul will be working on the DS mats this weekend. Hope to have a finished freebie available by the first of next week. This freebie and all my future ones will have a readme that states that they can be shared amongst the community without issue. So as long as you don't sell it you can share it any way you want!

• blutobluto Posts: 823
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    bluto said:
    MotoTsume said:
    Question: is there a Klingon Raptor-Class model (poser/studio or obj) anywhere?

i know this prolly isnt what you are looking for but do you think it would work for you ?

It would do for me. Where could I find this fine model?

pm me with your email adress

edited December 1969

mdbruffy said:
    bluto said:
    or maybe this version

This looks great,Bluto. Do you have this posted somewhere?

not yet but i could send you an obj of it

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

bluto I send u a pm with my email - that ship is just what I was looking for :)

Now, anyone know where or if there is a free Georgi hair-do anywhere?

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

bluto said:
    mdbruffy said:
    bluto said:
    or maybe this version

This looks great,Bluto. Do you have this posted somewhere?

not yet but i could send you an obj of it

Thanks. Be watching for it.

• patience55patience55 Posts: 7,006
    edited December 1969

I've noticed in various places the renders of characters wearing a visor akin to the type that Spock wore, except it's narrowed down some, and like ... no, no, no ... so happily Hexagon on my new computers doesn't seize up so fast and all the mesh work is done ... just the uvmapping, mat zone assigning, and repositioning of some hundreds of little rods ... and wow! A new "hairband" visor :-)
    Hopefully before the end of next week. Start drooling ....

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

Question for Poser users . I've done a Klingon texture for V4 Courageous which I want to save as a pose and package up with shoulder pads. Can anyone tell me how to save the texture pose or point me to a good tutorial ?

K2.jpg
    708 x 800 - 104K
    K1.jpg
    708 x 800 - 119K
  • PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited November 2012

While this isn't strictly something from the show, it's in the same spirit of TOS, and the other series as well - re-using an existing prop with minor redressing to create something else. In this case, I've turned the framework for 'Spock's brain' upside down (which, btw, they did do in "The Empath" ;) ), added pads both top and bottom and an 'aerial' of sorts, and created the "transmatter" - I'm thinking of packaging this, 'Spock's brain,' and maybe finding a couple more props to model, and then putting them all out together as the second "Feinberg Collecton" :).

Transmatter002.jpg
    800 x 800 - 58K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:
    While this isn't strictly something from the show, it's in the same spirit of TOS, and the other series as well - re-using an existing prop with minor redressing to create something else. In this case, I've turned the framework for 'Spock's brain' upside down (which, btw, they did do in "The Empath" ;) ), added pads both top and bottom and an 'aerial' of sorts, and created the "transmatter" - I'm thinking of packaging this, 'Spock's brain,' and maybe finding a couple more props to model, and then putting them all out together as the second "Feinberg Collecton" :).

oh yes please , that would be grand

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

That would be fun. And for Spock's brain, if we needed to show it, we could use EllPro's version with a greenish tinge.

(Trivia: Roddenberry got it wrong---copper-based solutions are usually blue, not green. Octopi and other molluscs have copper-based blood, and it's blue.)

• jaguarry3jaguarry3 Posts: 230
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    jaguarry3 said:
    Question for Poser users . I've done a Klingon texture for V4 Courageous which I want to save as a pose and package up with shoulder pads. Can anyone tell me how to save the texture pose or point me to a good tutorial ?

http://www.sharecg.com/v/19993/browse/3/Text-Entry-Tutorial/Creating-a-MAT-Pose-Pz2-file-for-Figure-Textures

or

http://www.morphography.uk.vu/tutorials.html
    There are 3 different tutorials on texture mapping.

or

http://poser.smithmicro.com/tutorials/Characters_texturing.html

or

http://www.ehow.com/video_4444870_creating-files-poser-texture-maps.html

or

http://www.4colorgrafix.net/blog/2008/01/13/10-tips-for-making-poser-clothes/

or

http://takoyakida.webs.com/apps/blog/entries/show/13235507-creating-poser-mats

1 question - why are you saving a material as a Pose? That hasn't been necessary since the release of Poser 5.

Poser material files are the way to go nowadays for Poser.

Thanks Guess I am a bit of a Dinosaur . I didn't think of the material files but I 'll check that out

• SpottedKittySpottedKitty Posts: 7,232
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    1 question - why are you saving a material as a Pose? That hasn't been necessary since the release of Poser 5.

Poser material files are the way to go nowadays for Poser.

You're forgetting DAZ|Studio users. Every version of D|S can use .pz2 MATs (albeit ignoring the shader tree stuff if it's there), but only the very newest version can even see the Materials library folder. In all earlier versions it's invisible and the .mt5 and .mc6 files useless without a bit of editing. Some people don't want to upgrade, and some just plain can't use the shiny new version. So making materials available as .pz2 files means everyone can use them.
  • edited December 1969

Thalek said:
    That would be fun. And for Spock's brain, if we needed to show it, we could use EllPro's version with a greenish tinge.

(Trivia: Roddenberry got it wrong---copper-based solutions are usually blue, not green. Octopi and other molluscs have copper-based blood, and it's blue.)

Unless the copper-based solution is highly oxygenated, in which case it's green. Or so I've been told.

edited December 1969

Here's one that you could use...

http://www.sharecg.com/v/32605/View/11/Poser/Human-Brain

David

As noted in a couple posts upthread, this is EllPro's brain. I used it for this:
    SpocksBrain002_002.jpg
    900 x 910 - 153K
    edited November 2012

Here's the new UPDATED Visor: http://www.trekmeshes.ch/

The D/S3 mat file also works in D/S4.0
    This is a 'normal' prop file which should work in most versions of D/S and Poser.
    Some reflective metal shaders may look good on it as well but be careful of any with much displacement.
    It's all uvmapped except for the 'cover' which is intended to be very transparent. However if you don't want to see 'rods', turn up the opacity on the cover.

edit: updated the Visor's uvmap and added another mat file. Save to merge folders as I've renamed the files.
    edit 2: updated link info.

VisorDots.jpg
    600 x 600 - 49K
    Visor3.jpg
    600 x 600 - 43K
    Post edited by patience55 on
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

awesome, thanks , anyone know of any hair that works for Laforge?

also bluto did u get my Pm with email for that ship?

edited December 1969

Thank you for the Visor! Downloading it now.

• ThalekThalek Posts: 318
    edited December 1969

Ptrope said:

As noted in a couple posts upthread, this is EllPro's brain. I used it for this:

Sorry, I hadn't noticed the brain in the thumbnail earlier. :-(

Wow. She really DOES love him for his mind!

edited December 1969

No problem - I didn't have the brain in the earlier picture, so you didn't miss it ;).

edited November 2012

I've updated the Visor ... little oopsie on the uvmap turned out to be that Hexie decided to redo it on me! [I must have added a line or something, happens]

So now it's more manageable to get the zones, there is some overlap ... however it works with the shaders I tested it on. Reflective metals are neat but go easy with any displacements. The addition mat file is to simply hide some of the rods and colour them yellow.

edit: upload from trekmeshes

ofcourse.jpg
    600 x 600 - 52K
    improved.jpg
    600 x 600 - 42K
    Post edited by patience55 on
    edited December 1969

just playing around with cowleyduck's textures (cpt dress uniform)

cpt_dress.jpg
    800 x 800 - 295K
    edited November 2012

OK here is a final test render of the Poser mats for the new Mirror Jumpsuit Paul and I are working on. Also it is a test of the new Terran Empire Starfleet communications badge. I was talking to Fisty the other night about what Paul and I were doing and she whipped this up as a surprise for me. We should have the Suit ready for release sometime this week. Looking for some feedback on the comm badge though.

MU-Com-Badge.jpg
    800 x 800 - 173K
    Pin_test.jpg
    1420 x 852 - 579K
    Post edited by shadowhawk1 on
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Graphic Novel section has been updated with two new novels from tommyg6913

Star Trek Special Ops - Feast
    &
    Star Trek Special Ops - Close Quarters

Like before if you know or have Star Trek based graphic novels...share with the class.

New releases will be updated shortly.

Also given my current project and a few others. I was wondering if I went back through the freebie list and broke off the items that are more Mirror Mirror related into a new listing would that help? (ie, uniforms, pins, weapons, ships) Let me know.

-Paul

edited December 1969

anyone know if rduda is ok just havnt seen any post from him or is he just busy

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited November 2012

crownlion said:
    anyone know if rduda is ok just havnt seen any post from him or is he just busy

Last I saw about two pages back, he's working on a 'Toon Trek' between projects.

-Paul

Post edited by PDSmith on
    edited December 1969

yah i went back somepages went by the toon ones so quick didnt relize it was rduda

This discussion has been closed.