What's with this reflection problem

2»

Comments

• GFHELGFHEL Posts: 24
    edited December 1969

The camera needs to have the same field of view as the angle of the spot light. Which turned out to be tricky to adjust because the camera setting only accepts values for the focal length.

But fortunately Casual reveals in an archive thread the relation between focal length and field of view for a Carrara camera: http://forumarchive.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=175284

The formula finally collapses to: Focal Length = (21,677 / (tan (Spot Angle / 2))

So a spot angle of 140° would correspond to a focal length of 7,9 mm.

The render output must be quadratic. I disabled visibility of everything but the mirror and rendered with a white background. For using the render directly, the Invert Color box must be ticked in the spot's Gel adjustments.

Mirror_Reflection_Mask.PNG
    500 x 500 - 6K
    edited December 1969

Light Brightness and Light Cone Intensity are set higher than I would expect for a physically correct render, but otherwise the effect would be to feeble to stand out clearly.

Secondary_light_cone.png
    640 x 480 - 101K
    edited December 1969

Because the Gel Map accepts a video as well as a still, the whole thing can even be animated. (Hope the GIFs work.)

Secondary_light_cone.gif
    320 x 240 - 916K
    Mirror_Reflection_Mask.gif
    320 x 240 - 99K
  • madinyu_aff05f0b83madinyu_aff05f0b83 Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Hey Guys.
    Someone can help me please?
    I create a mirror, everything was perfect, just the resolution of mirror is horrible.
    How to increase the mirror reflection resolution?

• evilproducerevilproducer Posts: 9,040
    edited December 1969

Care to give some examples or explain how you've set up your scene?

• GarstorGarstor Posts: 1,411
    edited December 1969

madinyu said:
    Hey Guys.
    Someone can help me please?
    I create a mirror, everything was perfect, just the resolution of mirror is horrible.
    How to increase the mirror reflection resolution?

I concur with evilproducer. Some information on your scene setup would be helpful.

I created a throw-away test scene that included a quick-and-dirty mirror on a wall. If I recall correctly, the Reflection Channel is set to about 95%. While it certainly acts like a mirror there is a distinct lacking in what is visible in the mirror versus the rest of the scene. Frankly, I think it made it look better.

room_corner_upload.jpg
    500 x 313 - 140K
  • madinyu_aff05f0b83madinyu_aff05f0b83 Posts: 16
    edited December 1969

Thanks Guys, finally i found the solution:
    Just, in the render tab, redoucing the 'shading rate' under 0.10, and the resolution now is perfect!

Thank's for your reply!