Non-photorealistic Renders (NPR)

Comments

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

Similar style to the kappa, working on illos for a RPG setting so I can show off my capabilities (portfolio ahoy).

High Dragond.png
    1836 x 1080 - 4M
    Undying Oned.png
    418 x 1080 - 877K
  • 3Diva3Diva Posts: 11,287

Dawww That's sweet of you to say! :) I really like my toon girl, I just wish I could figure out what is up with her chest and how to fix it.

You can take your mesh (I imagine the shape is a dial combination?) to a modeling program and use a smooth brush or a similar tool. The only thing you'll need to remember is to save out a character preset beforehand - to have a duf that stores dial slider values. Then when importing the morph, you enable "reverse deformations" and point the "pose" file to your character duf.

Yeah, they're dialed in morphs. 

So the steps are: Save the character as a preset, export as OBJ, smooth it in a modeling program, save as OBJ, import it back in with "reverse deformations" enabled and point the "pose" file to your character duf.? 

I'm not sure how to do that last bit, but I'll see if I can figure it out. Thanks, Mustakettu85! :)

edited September 2016

I create my Toon girl and 3DU releases a great new toon character hours later. http://www.daz3d.com/stylized-megan-character-and-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s ;

Ahhhh WHY does she have to be so cute!? 

Sorry to highjack your thread, Greg! lol I'm just so torn now. I love my girl but ... new cute toon girl ..with no neck/chest weirdness! ARGH So tempting!

Hijack away, Diva! Your (and everyone else's) posts are always welcome.

BTW, I actually thought of you when I saw this character this morning. I've purchased quite a bit of 3DU content (extremely high quality work IMHO), and still have a few in my wishlist to pick up. Looks like I'll be adding her to the list!

- Greg

Awww You thought of me!? heheh That's cool! :) 

I read in another thread that she doesn't come with separate head morphs and body morphs - so you can't really dial in her head or body separately, unfortunately. So that's something to keep in mind. One thing I really love about Star 2.0 is that you can dial her body or head/face in independently of one another (bonus is that Star 2.0 comes with a TON of other morphs too - something I've never seen come with any other figure). She comes with 20 morphs as well as separate body and head dials. 

If I could only recommend one toon character for G3F it would definitely be her. :)

Post edited by 3Diva on

I'm working on a new Toon character but am finding that G3 doesn't do so well with toons. G3F adds a bit too much realism that needs to be removed in post work for toon characters (at least with the ones I've been working with). Here's a NPR of my new toon girl - I had to do some post work on her neck/chest to get rid of weirdness. 

Here's the before:

As you can see the neck area is a bit wonky. I'm guessing it's the collarbone or something, but it looks off. I'm sure it wouldn't look as bad on a more realistic character, but for toons it looks ick. I tried applying a smoothing modifier to her but it didn't help. Any suggestions? I know there are some smart cookies here that might be able to give me some suggestions I didn't think of. :)

I'll probably mainly use her for NPRs but I would like to eliminate as much post work as possible, so getting that neck/chest area smoothed out would be good. 

I'm a sucker for freckles - too bad they get lost in your NPR process. As far as the deformations go, I think Kettu's advice is sound. Can't remember if you ever ended up picking up Carrara or not, but it has a smoothing/displacement brush. Also, I think you've mentioned Sculptris before, which has great sculpting tools.

She looks great already, though. At the rate you're coming up with new characters, looks like you'll have to speak to Knittingmommy about upping the number of muses - 3 just won't cut it!

- Greg

Thank you, Greg! :D 

Yeah I was sad about the freckles as well. I will probably darken them on her texture map so that they show up better in NPR renders. 

I do have Sculptris so I'm hoping that will help - I'm going to try and smooth it there. Sadly I've not had the best of luck with trying to do morphs on G3F. No mater where I try to do the morph it ends up messing with her teeth for some reason. 

Similar style to the kappa, working on illos for a RPG setting so I can show off my capabilities (portfolio ahoy).

Nice NPR look! It looks almost like an illustration from a book. That lizard guy came out so creepy - wow!

• Oso3DOso3D Posts: 14,886

I'm trying to hone a book Illo style, yeah, thanks! Mission accomplished. Illustration style is in a lot more demand than cgi photorealism.

• I just put this one in the gallery. I did it with pwToon.

Old Man Argues with Tree.

Old Man Argues with Tree.jpg
    1280 x 720 - 1M
  • I was kind of doodling yesterday over in the Technical Questions Help Forum as I was having some DS crashing issues and Richard was helping me out.  In all of the things he was having me try to figure it out, I ended up kind of doodling with this character.  I decided to add some lights and make him a real render and then went into Filter Forge and played around.  For those who may end up asking, FF filters used, in order, were Artification and Edges and Tones.  I think he turned out kind of cute for something I was just goofing off with trying to figure out a crashing problem.  Oh, and this was actually rendered in 3Delight which I don't really use much, but getting better at using, very, very slowly.  :)

edit: fixed spelling of filter. Note that the spelling for the filter is wrong in the uploaded filename.  

This one cracks me up! Its great.

• @AnotherUserName  Thanks.  He was kind of fun to do and I'm surprised at how well he turned out considering I was just fooling around.  :)

I like your old man.  It kind of reminds me of the art in a few books I had gotten the kids when they were younger.  The Japanese flavor of the image is really great!

• algovincianalgovincian Posts: 2,575
    edited September 2016

I create my Toon girl and 3DU releases a great new toon character hours later. http://www.daz3d.com/stylized-megan-character-and-hair-for-genesis-3-female-s ;

Ahhhh WHY does she have to be so cute!? 

Sorry to highjack your thread, Greg! lol I'm just so torn now. I love my girl but ... new cute toon girl ..with no neck/chest weirdness! ARGH So tempting!

Hijack away, Diva! Your (and everyone else's) posts are always welcome.

BTW, I actually thought of you when I saw this character this morning. I've purchased quite a bit of 3DU content (extremely high quality work IMHO), and still have a few in my wishlist to pick up. Looks like I'll be adding her to the list!

- Greg

Awww You thought of me!? heheh That's cool! :) 

I read in another thread that she doesn't come with separate head morphs and body morphs - so you can't really dial in her head or body separately, unfortunately. So that's something to keep in mind. One thing I really love about Star 2.0 is that you can dial her body or head/face in independently of one another (bonus is that Star 2.0 comes with a TON of other morphs too - something I've never seen come with any other figure). She comes with 20 morphs as well as separate body and head dials. 

If I could only recommend one toon character for G3F it would definitely be her. :)

Thanks for the info, Diva. The whole no separate head/body morphs thing has never bothered me, though. A long time ago, I wrote scripts that basically create partial morphs from selected vertices. The selection can be weighted/faded to create soft selections and give great control over the transitions. I use it as a way to pin a soft selection of vertices during soft body dynamics, too. 

- Greg

Post edited by algovincian on
  • @AnotherUserName  Thanks.  He was kind of fun to do and I'm surprised at how well he turned out considering I was just fooling around.  :)

I like your old man.  It kind of reminds me of the art in a few books I had gotten the kids when they were younger.  The Japanese flavor of the image is really great!

Thanks Knittingmommy. It was my first attempt with pwToon. I honestly think that the best part of the render is his feet and legs. They turned out really well. The children turned out pretty descently. They are Mei Lin 6 and Lee 6 with Growing Up applied. In order to have there expresions show up wiath any amount of detail I had to set there dials at rediculous perameters like plus or minus 300%. Ill post their straight iray, up-close renders because they are super goofy looking.

The old man turned out well. He to has generous perameters using Aging Morphs 3. The base character is Tween Ryan 7.laugh

edited September 2016

Playin around with several new styles derived from the roughly 1GB of intermediate files written for each scene processed. It's one of my favorite things to do - to go back and create new styles having all of these render passes and outlines/hatches/strokes/masks already rendered out for hundreds of scenes. I thought this style worked particularly well for the single character illustration against a blank white BG:

- Greg

ink800.png
    800 x 800 - 751K
  • firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

AnotherUserName and algovincian, AnotherUserName  those are awesome! even cooler knowing that you started with Tween Ryan 7 for the old man. :)

• AnotherUserName and algovincian, AnotherUserName  those are awesome! even cooler knowing that you started with Tween Ryan 7 for the old man. :)

Yah. Its kind of funny because the only reason why I got tween Ryan 7 was because daz offered his pro pack for $6.61. However, as soon as I loaded him up, I started to think up several cool uses for him. Old Man and Tree is a concept that ive been working on for some time.

• DaremoK3DaremoK3 Posts: 798
    edited September 2016

Video game character digital illustrations:

RikimaruNPR03a.jpg
    645 x 1000 - 244K
    RikimaruNPR05a.jpg
    725 x 1000 - 156K
    Post edited by DaremoK3 on
  • djigneodjigneo Posts: 283
    edited October 2016

Character design work from the last couple of days. Straight up DAZ Studio renders composited in GIMP.

Done with LineRender9000, ofc.

lien portrait.png
    2000 x 2400 - 3M
    Post edited by djigneo on
  • I'm seeing such awesome stuff here, guys. Wish more of you shared how you do it, tho. Anyway ... My latest NPR project. Playing with SnapArt4 trial. Might have to splurge on it.

• JCThomasJCThomas Posts: 254
    edited September 2016

Here are some samples from my recent graphic novel, The Gates of Dawn. I render in octane, run a custom photoshop action that utilizes some filter forge filters and changes layer styles, then embed a clay render on top, run more filters, and then touch up by hand.

GOD 001.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 345K
    GOD 005.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 361K
    GOD 049.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 373K
    GOD 017.jpg
    1200 x 1500 - 307K
    Post edited by JCThomas on
  • JCThomas said:

Here are some samples from my recent graphic novel, The Gates of Dawn. I render in octane, run a custom photoshop action that utilizes some filter forge filters and changes layer styles, then embed a clay render on top, run more filters, and then touch up by hand.

Very cool stuff. What's a clay render?

• djigneodjigneo Posts: 283

Cool stuff, @JCThomas, especially the scenery frames!

• It's an octane feature that renders the scene as if it's made of clay...no diffuse maps or anything. There are two modes, Clay and Clay+, the latter uses the opacity, bump, normal channels, etc., but still no diffuse. It's great for the basis of the lineart.

• Ah, ok. Well, your process looks cool :D

• Thanks @djigneo and @WillowRaven

edited September 2016

It's great to see this thread going strong and everyone sharing their work, especially the finished products. In an effort to help keep the ball rolling, here's another simple illustration:

- Greg

ink.png
    800 x 450 - 266K
  • It's great to see this thread going strong and everyone sharing their work, especially the finished products. In an effort to help keep the ball rolling, here's another simple illustration:

- Greg

Simple? Awesome!

• It's great to see this thread going strong and everyone sharing their work, especially the finished products. In an effort to help keep the ball rolling, here's another simple illustration:

- Greg

I love the little bit of color you gave this one!  It's very nice!  Simple?  I hardly think so.  Stunning, more like.  :)

• Nice to hear people are diggin the clean, ink-ish style. Love this guy! I've got an idea for a more complete scene that I'd like to start putting together featuring him.

I need more hours in the day!

- Greg

• Nice to hear people are diggin the clean, ink-ish style. Love this guy! I've got an idea for a more complete scene that I'd like to start putting together featuring him.

- Greg

Sooo ... I don't suppose this really awesome technique of yours is going to be part of the new product I've been hearing about?

• firewardenfirewarden Posts: 1,454

It's great to see this thread going strong and everyone sharing their work, especially the finished products. In an effort to help keep the ball rolling, here's another simple illustration:

- Greg

Wow!

- Greg

Sooo ... I don't suppose this really awesome technique of yours is going to be part of the new product I've been hearing about?

New product you've been hearing about? Do tell - inquiring minds want to know . . .

I had some brief discussions with DAZ about a year and a half ago, but that's it (no reason to beat that dead horse). I currently have nothing in the works to be sold here at DAZ, but I do, however, still enjoy rendering all sorts of DAZ content in various NPR styles ;)

- Greg

This discussion has been closed.