Star Trek Builders Unite 2 "Renderings on the Edge of Forever"

Comments

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    Another WIP.

I pulled Ptrope's 23rd Century bridge into Hexagon and stripped out the lift. After saving the lift as a prop, I dropped it in where the science station goes. I also replaced the Helm/Nav station with the one from the XcalPro bridge. The accent color is called "Mouthwash" (Really, that is what it is called.)

I still have a couple of things I am not for sure about:

1. I have no idea why the arms on the Captain's chair have changed color.
    2. In the full size image, I still have a section of railing that is turning transparent (to right of Captain's chair.
    3. I really, really want to have a wood-grain accent color. I haven't figured out how to do that yet - any suggestions on how to adjust these items in the material room would really, really be appreciated.

All comments, praises, & brickbats greatly appreciated.......

In Poser, you'd just take it into the material room and change the textures. Don't know about D/S.

• TimbalesTimbales Posts: 2,245
    edited December 1969

attempt at a female Tellarite

FemaleTellarite.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 150K
  • rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Just messing around yesterday:

Gordie.jpg
    1500 x 1604 - 668K
  • rdudarduda Posts: 579
    edited December 1969

Worf Start:

002.jpg
    717 x 767 - 67K
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan - I've never had success applying a texture map to the railing in that set. You may need re-map the mesh, unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

• blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited November 2012

COOL! More Klingons!

Here's an update on Bob the Klingon.

ok . i have been curious ever since you first started posting pics of bob, so now i have to ask .

what are you using for the battle tunic ? wilt the adition of a good bump mag that could look like it came off the show .

i shall try to model some of the klingon transport and com badges as soon as i get a little more time

Post edited by bluto on
  • blutobluto Posts: 827
    edited December 1969

i always thought this looked a little klingon too

http://www.daz3d.com/shop/clothing-accessories/uniforms-costumes/noctem

• mdbruffymdbruffy Posts: 2,345
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:
    ssgbryan said:
    Another WIP.

I pulled Ptrope's 23rd Century bridge into Hexagon and stripped out the lift. After saving the lift as a prop, I dropped it in where the science station goes. I also replaced the Helm/Nav station with the one from the XcalPro bridge. The accent color is called "Mouthwash" (Really, that is what it is called.)

2. In the full size image, I still have a section of railing that is turning transparent (to right of Captain's chair.
    3. I really, really want to have a wood-grain accent color. I haven't figured out how to do that yet - any suggestions on how to adjust these items in the material room would really, really be appreciated.

In Poser, you'd just take it into the material room and change the textures. Don't know about D/S.

Well, I don't know how to get the texture to tile - just going into the material room and applying a texture map doesn't do it.

In this example, I applied one of the Dreamland textures to the lift door and the railing - the railing & edging change color, but don't show the grain, and the lift door grain is much too large.

I know I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Okay, just checked my copy of this bridge and I see what the problem is. There has never been an actual texture map for those parts of the bridge. You'll have to export objs and map them so you'll have templates to create the maps from.

• PtropePtrope Posts: 679
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    mdbruffy said:
    ssgbryan said:
    Another WIP.

Well, I don't know how to get the texture to tile - just going into the material room and applying a texture map doesn't do it.

In this example, I applied one of the Dreamland textures to the lift door and the railing - the railing & edging change color, but don't show the grain, and the lift door grain is much too large.

I know I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what.

Firstly, the railings aren't UV-mapped - there didn't seem to be any reason to, since they were a solid color. You might, however, be able to get something like woodgrain using a procedural color rather than a texture map. Applying a texture map to an unmapped surface will only give you the average color of the image over the entire surface. The only good way to UV-map the railings would be to do each section individually, so the grain flows believably - you wouldn't do the railings as all one piece, unless you just do a planar map from the y-axis, and then make a specific texture map that would essentially be a 'snapshot' of the top of the railings.

The doors are UV-mapped, so they could be made into Mirror Universe doors with the Empire logo on them. If you want to tile a texture map in Poser, just go into the Advanced tab, and on the panel for the texture map, change the U and V values to something smaller than 1.000000 (which is full size - any smaller number is that percentage of the full size).

Is there an advantage to using XCalPro's helm/nav? I tried to make the one in my set pretty clean and detailed. I might have to get XCalPro's and take a look at it ;).

• edited December 1969

bluto said:
    COOL! More Klingons!

Here's an update on Bob the Klingon.

ok . i have been curious ever since you first started posting pics of bob, so now i have to ask .

what are you using for the battle tunic ? wilt the adition of a good bump mag that could look like it came off the show .

i shall try to model some of the klingon transport and com badges as soon as i get a little more time

What am I using? Why, that's our old friend the M4 Valiant tunic. I did texture maps, spectral maps, transpanency maps, bump maps, and displacement maps. The gauntlets and belt buckle I made with primatives in Poser that I modefied in Hexagon. The collar was a M3 Tribal collar that I heavily modefied in Hexagon.

Oh, and the pants and boots are M4 Fairytale Prince retextured by me.

• PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

Captain's Poses for Sydney

Updated on the freebie list under poses.

- Paul

• MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

New Galaxy Class dreadnaught - mattymanx conversion

galaxy-dreadnought-new-sml.jpg
    1170 x 1501 - 287K
  • Eric WaltersEric Walters Posts: 233
    edited December 1969

Looks good!

jerriecan said:
    Knock Knock
  • PDSmithPDSmith Posts: 712
    edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:
    PDSmith said:
    Captain's Poses for Sydney

Updated on the freebie list under poses.

- Paul

Let me know what eveyone thinks of them.

I don't get feed back...I just post the links like my predecessors did when they started the thread.

that being said..

fun1.jpg
    618 x 800 - 221K
  • MotoTsumeMotoTsume Posts: 520
    edited December 1969

I don't have Sydney but what I have seen they look good

edited November 2012

ssgbryan said:
    To Ptrope:

2 requests, if I may.....

1. Could I talk you into doing a Pilot Episode bridge screen could I? The bridge on Captain Pike's Enterprise had some subtle differences between it and the one that Captain Kirk had. (Like a bridge screen with rounded corners.)

2. Bridge workstations that would fit in a square room? Looking at the Caracal class ship drawings, they have a square bridge and I would like to have some of your workstations in them.

Once up on a time, I did start on a Cage-era modification of the bridge - I'll look in my work files and see if I still have them handy (so many computer failures since then ;) ). This image was my "Cage 2.0" progress - notice that I went around and started radiusing all the corners; I hadn't gotten to modifying the overhead screens. Eventually, the idea was to make all of the control panels touchscreens, but NOT LCARS ...

Workstations for a square room would probably require a ground-up effort - I'll look into it, but I can't promise anything at the moment.

TOS_Bridge_Conversion_046_Cage.jpg
    800 x 800 - 142K
    Post edited by Ptrope on
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

Cool image though...

David

edited December 1969

character idea - half Betazed/half Klingon science officer

inspired by the pairing of Troi and Worf, but mine has a full Betazed father and a Klingon mother

Beta-Klingon.jpg
    707 x 1000 - 180K
  • GRFK DSGN UnlimitedGRFK DSGN Unlimited Posts: 1,040
    edited December 1969

TimG said:

inspired by the pairing of Troi and Worf, but mine has a full Betazed father and a Klingon mother

Cool idea...

edited December 1969

TimG said:

Cool idea...

edited December 1969

ssgbryan said:

Oh my.......

That is so full of awesome!!

Thanks! :) And thanks, GRFK DSGN Unlimited.

I just checked my upload folder, and lo and behold, the "Cage" base is in there still! Someone else had requested it - what, a couple years ago? - I don't recall who wanted it at the time (it's in one of the old, now-lost threads :( )

Give this a shot: http://www.ptrope.com/Star_Trek_Reanimated/Downloads/Cage_Base_WIP.zip

It replaces the entire base of the regular set, since the screen and forward sections on either side of it were part of the same model; it also includes the lift alcove. If it's the same thing I rendered, it does NOT have the forward door.

This discussion has been closed.