OT Thinking about buying this PC from CyberPowerPC… And 2 Yrs Later…

L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
edited November 2018 in The Commons

Okay... my poor HP Envy is chugging along rendering Ivan; Almost 7 hours for 1300 iterations, with no background. Just the clothed figure and a fence prop. Took me about two weeks to get the scene set up because the darn CPU Only rendering is so incredibly time-consuming. I had originally planned on getting something "more robust" at the first of the year. C'est le vie.

Anyway, I just spent some time over at CyberPowerPC dot com and here's what I've settled on. Problem is, I haven't really spent much time keeping tabs on hardware for a really long time, so I'm not confident in what I've selected. I do need some sort of CD/DVD drive which the original case didn't support. So I'm not even sure about the case!

Here's the specs. Anybody see anything that you know will give me grief? Or is there something I really need that I haven't selected?

Cooler Master MasterBox 5 Mid-Tower Gaming Case with Fully Modular
HDD/SSD cages & Side-Panel Window [-10]

LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo
Drive (Black Color)

Intel® Core™ Processor i7-6900K Eight-Core 3.20GHz 20MB Intel
Smart Cache LGA2011-V3 [+656]

3X 140mm Enermax TB Silence UCTB14 140mm Performance Cooling
with Low Noise Profile Fan [+39]

Asetek 570LXL 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate
[+30] (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)

512GB Intel® SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s
Read & 560MB/s Write [+45] (Single Drive)

2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)

Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

32GB (8GBx4) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel Memory [+138] (ADATA XPG Z1)

ASUS X99-E ATX w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Intel GbE LAN, 3x Gen3
PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1x M.2 PCIe or U.2 Port

Onboard Gigabit LAN Network

Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts

Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Edition)

No Overclocking

800 Watts - Standard 80 Plus Certified Power Supply -
SLI/CrossFireX Ready

3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME
TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

SLI_BRIDGE:None

HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO

GeForce® GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)

STANDARD WARRANTY: 1 Year Parts WARRANTY

Post edited by L'Adair on

Comments

• kyoto kidkyoto kid Posts: 40,559

....looks pretty sound. 

However, that 8 core CPU however is pretty spendy. At Newegg it's 1,099$, which is about 520$ more (basically 130$ per processing thread) than the 3.5 GHz 6 core 5930K which I am looking at. That savings would basically buy you a second GTX 1080 which would double your CUDA cores and improve render performance.

If they offer a downgrade for W7 Pro or 8.1 Pro I'd consider that as W10 takes a lot of control over what goes on your system away unless you really feel confident  about messing with the registry.

• Well, just 1 thing: GTX 10xx series doesnt support Iray render right now sad

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

I have pretty mixed feelings about Cyber Power. My current computer came from there and so far I have worn out the ssd, cpu and the motherboard. That said I use the computer about 15 hours a day for work and run renders on it often when I sleep so it gets run hard. And none of it went boom till after I had been using the computer for around 9 months so it very likely was wear and tear. They do have really good deals though.

• outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    What do you have now? Are you unable to upgrade that machine at all? All you might need is a gpu, and perhaps a psu to power it. I've seen Envy's with pretty OK specs for what they are. Like an i7 or i5 with a 600 Watt psu allowing you to pop in a pretty solid gpu. And like the last post said, the 1080 does NOT support Iray, so you would get no speed boost at this time. And who knows when Daz will support the 1000 series. Could be next month, could be 2017. I'm not holding my breath.
  • L'AdairL'Adair Posts: 9,479
    kyoto kid said:

....looks pretty sound. 

However, that 8 core CPU however is pretty spendy. At Newegg it's 1,099$, which is about 520$ more (basically 130$ per processing thread) than the 3.5 GHz 6 core 5930K which I am looking at. That savings would basically buy you a second GTX 1080 which would double your CUDA cores and improve render performance.

If they offer a downgrade for W7 Pro or 8.1 Pro I'd consider that as W10 takes a lot of control over what goes on your system away unless you really feel confident  about messing with the registry.

Thanks for the response, Kyoto kid.

The only OS offered was W10, or I'd have opted for 8.1 Pro instead. Before I buy anything, I'll talk to a sales person. This was just via the website. Whether it saves a few dollars or not, I'd really rather have 8.1 over 10. Maybe a sales person can get that for me. Fingers crossed. I plan on adding a second video card at some point, even something cheap just to run the all the non-DAZ stuff. but as this may well be the last computer I buy, I want the 8 core cpu.

Well, just 1 thing: GTX 10xx series doesnt support Iray render right now sad

Thank you for your response, nohiznguyen.

It shouldn't be too long until Daz Studio/Iray supports the Pascal card. The change log for the Beta show Iray 2016.2 beta is in the works: http://docs.daz3d.com/doku.php/public/software/dazstudio/4/change_log#public_beta_1. The support should be there with the next Public Beta release.

• Source maintenance

• Update to NVIDIA Iray 2016.2 beta (272800.3649)

• Exposed NVIDIA Iray “Spectral Rendering” render settings; “Spectral Rendering Enable”, “Spectral Conversion Intent”, and “Spectral Observer”

DAZ Studio : Incremented build number to 4.9.3.92

And on the Nividia site for Iray SDK: https://developer.nvidia.com/iray-sdk...

What’s new in Iray 2016.2

• Support for NVIDIA Pascal generation GPUs.
    • ...[other stuff, not related to Pascal]

What do you have now? Are you unable to upgrade that machine at all? All you might need is a gpu, and perhaps a psu to power it. I've seen Envy's with pretty OK specs for what they are. Like an i7 or i5 with a 600 Watt psu allowing you to pop in a pretty solid gpu. And like the last post said, the 1080 does NOT support Iray, so you would get no speed boost at this time. And who knows when Daz will support the 1000 series. Could be next month, could be 2017. I'm not holding my breath.

Thank you for your response, outrider42.

My computer specs: http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04291966

I'd need a new motherboard to add any RAM, and there's only one PCI slot for a video card. I want two video cards, eventually. The mid-tower is pretty short. Cooling could be an issue. Not sure if there's enough room to add liquid cooling. Not to mention... I'm getting too old to feel like fighting with it my self. lol

Khory said:

I have pretty mixed feelings about Cyber Power. My current computer came from there and so far I have worn out the ssd, cpu and the motherboard. That said I use the computer about 15 hours a day for work and run renders on it often when I sleep so it gets run hard. And none of it went boom till after I had been using the computer for around 9 months so it very likely was wear and tear. They do have really good deals though.

Hi, Khory. Thanks for the response.

I have a 7-1/2 year old computer from them, (actually their other brand name, I Buy Power,) and it's still working fine. Slow, but fine. I don't use it for graphics anymore. I actually got it via Newegg. I tried looking for something from Dell, (I'm not a fan, but a friend I trust highly recommends them.) I went to Newegg, and they didn't have anything close regardless of the manufacturer. I plan on putting it on my Visa, so I'll have some recourse there, if I run into issues. Of course, I haven't taken the leap yet. Still time to change my mind. Do you have another manufacturer you could recommend?

...are you planning on doing a lot of multitasking in other programmes while working in Daz?  That would be about the only reason I could see for spending almost twice the price much to get only two more CPU cores.

As Nvidia will be rolling out the Pascal Quadro line next month, hopefully, software vendors will have integrated the necessary updates for the Pascal GPUs. I know I wouldn't be very pleased if I couldn't  use my brand new 5,000$+ 24 GB P6000 for rendering in Iray.

kyoto kid said:

...are you planning on doing a lot of multitasking in other programmes while working in Daz?  That would be about the only reason I could see for spending almost twice the price much to get only two more CPU cores.

As Nvidia will be rolling out the Pascal Quadro line next month, hopefully, software vendors will have integrated the necessary updates for the Pascal GPUs. I know I wouldn't be very pleased if I couldn't  use my brand new 5,000$+ 24 GB P6000 for rendering in Iray.

Yes! That's been one of my biggest issues, next to speed, with this computer. When it's rendering, there just isn't much computing power left over for the things I should be doing... (Though my obsession with 3D cannot be blamed on the computer...)

• fastbike1fastbike1 Posts: 4,074

I've bought 6 computers from Cyberpowerpc in the last 9 years. All have given good service with no unusual reliability issues. They were prompt about replacing failed drives (only problems I've had).

• SimonJMSimonJM Posts: 5,945

One caveat I might raise is that it you are thinking about adding a 2nd gfx card at a later stage is that your PSU will be 'man enough' to handle the extra load.

• KhoryKhory Posts: 3,854

"Do you have another manufacturer you could recommend?"

No, I don't. And I didn't find any place that carried what we look for in a computer at a reasonable price that had a better track record.

• I bought my computer from CyberPower about 5 months ago and it runs almost 24 hours a day. So far I have been happy with it. One recommendation I found when configuring mine was to get a good name brand power supply such as Corsair or EVGA rather than the standard power supply. It seems that the standard (generic) power supplies they use have a poorer track record and when they fail they may take out other components.

Also consider it may still be sometime before the GTX 10XX cards will work with Iray in DS. Even  when NVidia provides Iray support it may be additional time before DAZ incorporates it in DS. I got a GTX 970 4 GB video card but really wish I had opted for a 6GB or higher card.

Also, if you post your proposed configuration on the CyberPower forums you can get additional feedback on the compatibility of the components.

• AllenArtAllenArt Posts: 7,140
    edited September 2016

I bought a laptop from them at the beginning of the year. Granted, it's a good laptop, but it was NOT a good experience. Customer service is bad, quality control is bad (we had to open the laptop and reattach the SSD and the wires for the battery weren't even hooked up). If we didn't do it ourselves we would have had to send it back and it would have been another month of waiting. I waited to two months to get it - something was always on backorder and they would never communicate with me until I'd call. Never again.

Laurie

Post edited by AllenArt on
  • outrider42outrider42 Posts: 3,679
    Your processor is actually a step above my i5 right now. If you get a gpu now, it should be able to handle the multitasking. You have enough ram to get by for now. Your psu is super weak though. Still, if you want something right now, you could pick up a 900 series card and a Psu.

Then when Daz gets around to supporting the 1000 series, you could sell that 900 if you wish or use it with the new PC you buy as a second card. Your gpus don't have to match for Daz.

If Daz would give us some kind of hint on a timeline, anything, that sure would help.
  • vwranglervwrangler Posts: 4,810

Apart from the things anyone else has said, one thing did stand out to me

Built-in USB 2.0 Ports

Unless it's simply not possible for some reason, you want those to be USB 3.0 ports. Noticeably faster throughput for external devices, and older drives and hardware should can run on those just fine. Newer USB devices can also run on the older protocol, but why throttle yourself needlessly? It shouldn't be a major increase in price, if any, at this stage, since USB 3 has been around for about three or so years now.

Apart from anything else, even if you put nothing but Daz content on the 2TB drive, it will fill up faster than you think it will. (So I'm discovering, anyway.) And you don't want anything but programs on the SSD, especially given the size.

• I got a very similar system (6 core I7 instead of 8) from them in January.  Been very happy with it. Only things I would change is upgrading to a platinum rated power supply and maybe a (slightly) larger one if you plan on adding a second video card in the future (your machine is just screaming to be running two video cards even if you don't buy it with two to start with). Spending extra on a good power supply is well worth it.

edited September 2016

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Lots of info to wake up to!

SimonJM said:

One caveat I might raise is that it you are thinking about adding a 2nd gfx card at a later stage is that your PSU will be 'man enough' to handle the extra load.

800 Watts isn't? Oh, my! Well, there is a 1000 Watt for a few dollars more. But from what Charlie said, I may want to choose one of a specific brand, and those are a lot more expensive...

Also consider it may still be sometime before the GTX 10XX cards will work with Iray in DS. Even  when NVidia provides Iray support it may be additional time before DAZ incorporates it in DS.

The only Nvidia cards without Pascal listed for this computer are 2GB. There is no on-board video with this mobo, so if I get the computer without a video card, I could use the money I saved to buy something from Newegg. Worth thinking about. However, as I pointed out above, Nvidia has Pascal support as of Iray 2016.2 and DAZ has already incorporated 2016.2 into the current private build beta, so the next public beta will have support for Pascal.

Your processor is actually a step above my i5 right now. If you get a gpu now, it should be able to handle the multitasking. You have enough ram to get by for now. Your psu is super weak though.

Do you mean the 16GB on my Envy? It's not a bad computer, really, just underpowered for Daz Studio. I'd have to replace the power supply to run a decent video card. And cooling could be a big issue, too. It's a relatively short mid-tower with not a lot of room for heat dissipation. (I've never done liquid cooling. Maybe getting a video card with that built in would work. I just don't know.)

I got a very similar system (6 core I7 instead of 8) from them in January.  Been very happy with it. Only things I would change is upgrading to a platinum rated power supply and maybe a (slightly) larger one if you plan on adding a second video card in the future (your machine is just screaming to be running two video cards even if you don't buy it with two to start with). Spending extra on a good power supply is well worth it.

Thanks for that info, IG. I definitely plan on running two video cards, as soon as I can afford the second one. There is a 1000W "Standard 80 Plus Gold Power Supply" for only $8 more, but it sounds like I should consider either the "900 Watts - IN WIN Classic C900W Aluminum, 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply" for an additional $121 or the "1,350 Watts - ENERMAX Platimax EPM1350EWT 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply" for another $190.

Do you think I should spend a little more on the video card and get a name brand, such as Asus or EVGA? Or should the fact it's "GeForce" be sufficient? In your opinion, of course.

By the way, it's taken me longer to respond because one of the plugins in Firefox stopped working, and for some reason, my keyboard stopped working, too. I'm on my laptop now, and I'm using my desktop keyboard, so I know it didn't die. I suspect I need to reboot as all the usual tricks didn't work to get it repsonding again. But I can't reboot until I'm done with the render! lol ... really drives home the need for a new computer...
    laugh

I got a very similar system (6 core I7 instead of 8) from them in January.  Been very happy with it. Only things I would change is upgrading to a platinum rated power supply and maybe a (slightly) larger one if you plan on adding a second video card in the future (your machine is just screaming to be running two video cards even if you don't buy it with two to start with). Spending extra on a good power supply is well worth it.

...QFT.

Thank you all for the helpful advice. I just made my purchase with a few changes, including a much bigger case, as well as the 1350W platinum certified PS. I really, really tried to include two video cards, but I just couldn't swing that much money now. I did save a bit of money on the purchase though. Went looking for promo codes and found one that's good through tomorrow for 5% off. The total for my new system came in just a tad over $3K.

Looks like my purchases at DAZ will be vastly curtailed for a while as I try to drop the CC balance as fast as possible! lol

• FSMCDesignsFSMCDesigns Posts: 12,550

$3K??!! At Cyberpower?? Must be one heck of a aystem for that price from them. I got one from ibuypower a few months back with very similar components as you (same CPU, Mobo) with half the ram and a 970 card for $1400. I have owned 2 from Cyberpower and never had any issues with them, enjoy the new rig!

• RAMWolffRAMWolff Posts: 10,146

1350 PS seems a bit much but what ever works! 

edited September 2016
    RAMWolff said:

1350 PS seems a bit much but what ever works! 

lol... yeah. But the difference in price between the 900W and 1350W seemed so small...

$3K??!! At Cyberpower?? Must be one heck of a aystem for that price from them. I got one from ibuypower a few months back with very similar components as you (same CPU, Mobo) with half the ram and a 970 card for $1400. I have owned 2 from Cyberpower and never had any issues with them, enjoy the new rig!

My husband laughed when I said I expect this to be the last new computer I buy... but I wanted something that I could upgrade rather than replace. So I got a nice case with room for several hard drives, got the RAM on two sticks instead of four (+$24,) so I can upgrade to the max 128GB without having to replace what I have. There's plenty of power and room to add a second video card and cooling for the cards if it becomes necessary. The power supply and the case are the bulk of the difference between what I first listed and what I bought. Though the DVD burner went up a few dollars since Sunday, too. Also, I checked IBuyPower, (I understand they are owned by the same people,) and similar components were all more expensive there.

Anyway, here's exactly what I ordered:

• EVGA DG-8 Full-Tower Ultimate Gaming Case w/Side-Panel Window (EVGA DG-87 K-Boost, Software + Hardware Fan Controller)
    • LG 14X Internal Blu-ray Burner, BD-RE, 3D Playback DVD+RW Combo Drive (Black Color)
    • Intel(R) Core™ Processor i7-6900K Eight-Core 3.20GHz 20MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011-V3
    • 3X 140mm Enermax TB Silence UCTB14 140mm Performance Cooling with Low Noise Profile Fan
    • Asetek 570LXL 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2 x Standard 120MM Fans
    • 512GB Intel(R) SSD 600p Series PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD - 1800MB/s Read & 560MB/s Write (Single Drive)
    • 2TB (2TBx1) SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 64MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Drive)
    • 32GB (16GBx2) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel Memory (ADATA XPG Z1)
    • ASUS X99-E ATX w/ USB 3.1 Type-C, Intel GbE LAN, 3x Gen3 PCIe x16, 2 PCIe x1, 1x M.2 PCIe or U.2 Port
    • Built-in USB 2.0 Ports
    • Onboard Gigabit LAN Network
    • Anti-Vibration Fan Mounts
    • Windows 10 Pro (64-bit Edition)
    • 1,350 Watts - ENERMAX Platimax EPM1350EWT 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    • HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    • GeForce(R) GTX 1080 8GB GDDR5X (Pascal)[VR Ready] (Single Card)
    • 3 Years FREE Service Plan (INCLUDES LABOR AND LIFETIME TECHNICAL SUPPORT)

And I got the following items for free...

• CYBERPOWERPC Skorpion K1 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard w/ Kontact Blue Switches and Programmable RGB LED Lighting
    • CyberPowerPC AULA Explosive 50mm Drive Analog Gaming Headset [White & Orange]
    • TP-LINK 802.11AC Archer T2U AC600 Wireless Dual Band, 2.4GHz 150Mbps/5Ghz 433Mbps USB Adapter
    • $50 Amex Gift Card with all Intel Core I7 Desktops and Laptops

I'm wondering if I can use the Amex Gift Card here at DAZ...
    laugh

Now I have about three weeks to get my office ready. Yikes!

• ArtiniArtini Posts: 8,739

Just a note. You have bought i7-6900K which is 4 memory channel capable, but you will get 2 RAM modules, so only half of memory bandwidth will be used.

Otherwise, very nice computer. After you will get it, please post some of your experiences with it, if possible.

I am particularly interested in the noise level, that liquid cpu cooling system produce.

I have some old liquid cpu cooling system in my computer, but its pump is very noisy.

Artini said:

Just a note. You have bought i7-6900K which is 4 memory channel capable, but you will get 2 RAM modules, so only half of memory bandwidth will be used.

Hmm... I didn't realize that. However, I plan on adding another 32GB as soon as I've finished paying for this. The default had four modules, but I changed it to two. My thinking was, the board will support 128GB, but the 32GB was taking up half the slots, so to upgrade to 128, I'd have to "toss" the original 32 at some point.

I've never had liquid cooling before, never had a computer that would run hot enough to need it before, so I have no point of reference for what is "loud." But I'll let you know if it's loud enough to annoy me.
    wink

• Charlie JudgeCharlie Judge Posts: 12,305
    edited September 2016
    Artini said:

I am particularly interested in the noise level, that liquid cpu cooling system produce.

I have some old liquid cpu cooling system in my computer, but its pump is very noisy.

The CPU liquid cooling I got on my CyberPower computer is not at all noisy. For the whole computer the only noise I hear is the very quite sound of air moving through the fans.

Post edited by Charlie Judge on

@L'Adair: Ok and thanks in advance. I do not know how much difference on performance will impact to have 2 versus 4 RAM modules,

but if you will start using it with 2 RAM modules, please make a render test and note the time and compare with the time after you get the other 2 RAMs.

Please post the results then, so we all can benefit from that information. Thanks.

@Charlie Judge: Do you know what kind of cpu cooling system, you got in your computer?

Is it the same as L'Adairs: Asetek 570LXL 240mm Liquid CPU Cooling System w/ Copper Cold Plate (2 x Standard 120MM Fans)?

• DustRiderDustRider Posts: 2,691

I have a Corsair H75 with a 2 fan push/pull set up on an AMD FX8350 Black (comes with both AMD and Intel adaptors). Both the fans and the pump are very quiet, even under full load. I've read reviews where people complain about the pump noise, but mine can only be heard it you really "try" to hear it.

• OstadanOstadan Posts: 1,123

I am looking at adding a Windows box to my desk (Apple, you really are losing this creative market), so this thread is very interesting to me.  I see that the specs for the motherboard does say "thunderbolt add-in card connector".  Has anyone used a tower like this with a Thunderbolt display?