SereneNight's Sci-fi Fun

Comments

• Serene NightSerene Night Posts: 17,558
    edited September 2016

I used this technique to light up the lanterns, the headlamps of the bot, the gun glowy bits on the Justiciar suit, the cyclops suit. It works pretty well for regular illumination as well. 

Here is Sarge and some of his men on patrol. The Iray texture for the Justiciar suit is offered online by the PA.

war-bridge2.jpg
    1600 x 1326 - 2M
    Post edited by Serene Night on
  • That's a really great image!  Does that technique work with eyes?  My current render doesn't have quite the highlight I was hoping for in one of my character's eyes.  Only one of them seems to have gotten any highlights in their eyes.  I'm kind of hoping this technique might help.  If not, I'll be running my render again to try and get eye highlights in both characters' eyes.  If this technique won't work, do you know of a way of adding eye highlights in post?

edited September 2016

There are several things you can do to add highlights in the eyes.. One technique I have found is to make a second  layer in overlay mode. When you use the overlay mode you can use either a black or white paintbrush to darken or lighten areas. By adjusting this layer transparency you can lighten areas with white and darken areas with black but it will use the base color which is there already. This is a way to emphasize certain aspects of your image. By using colors you can paint highlights on areas as well

Alternatively to add small lights you can use a brush and paint a small dot or two of white and then use the blur option and adjust transparency of the layer to achieve realism.

I also think this method I used for lanterns and guns will also work. It is a very easy and full proof way of lightning areas and if you don't like it you can erase the white with black.

If you like you can upload the image and I will take a stab at it when I am home from work in the evening

• Thanks for the offer.  I'll keep that in mind.  It's still rendering and may not be done until late this evening as it just passed 63%.  I'll try to take a stab at it myself first as it is an entry for Zev0's aging contest.  I have no illusions that it would have a chance to win, but doing it all myself is important to me.  You've given me quite a few things to try which I'm grateful for as I'm still bad at postwork most of the time.  I'm learning, but it is a slow process for me.  If I can't figure it out, I may have to make a similar image where the eyes don't a highlight and have to see what you can do and maybe post a mini tutorial to my thread?  If you're interested, that is.  The tutorials there have been fairly well received, but I don't know enough about postworking yet to do very many of those.  The few that are up there were done by others who actually know what they are doing.  :)

• Yeah, I completely understand. smiley If you don't have the set already Colm's Render Studio has great specular eyelights included with the set. They work great for bringing out the details in a character's eyes. 

• The new Cyclops HD suit by Luthbel is pretty awesome 

Love the vibrant colors on this one. 

And the Jetpack shot,  your developing an excellent artistic style. 

• Yeah, I completely understand. smiley If you don't have the set already Colm's Render Studio has great specular eyelights included with the set. They work great for bringing out the details in a character's eyes. 

I do have that and, if I decide to render again or at least just render the one figure and combine them in post, I may borrow that eyelight.  I used Promo Catch Lights and I like it, but since I had two figures only one of them looks like they caught the reflections as they weren't looking in the same direction.  I probably should have added a second eyelight for the second figure.  Funny enough, since it has rendered more, a little bit of a highlight has managed to creep into the eyes as more lights and shadows have developed.  That might make it easier to go in a 2D program and use one of your methods to enhance the eyelights.  I'll let you know what happens. :)

• Thanks for the kind words First Bastion. I'm glad  you like those!

• There are several things you can do to add highlights in the eyes.. One technique I have found is to make a second  layer in overlay mode. When you use the overlay mode you can use either a black or white paintbrush to darken or lighten areas. By adjusting this layer transparency you can lighten areas with white and darken areas with black but it will use the base color which is there already. This is a way to emphasize certain aspects of your image. By using colors you can paint highlights on areas as well

Alternatively to add small lights you can use a brush and paint a small dot or two of white and then use the blur option and adjust transparency of the layer to achieve realism.

I also think this method I used for lanterns and guns will also work. It is a very easy and full proof way of lightning areas and if you don't like it you can erase the white with black.

If you like you can upload the image and I will take a stab at it when I am home from work in the evening

I just wanted to say thanks!  I followed a couple of your tips and it made a huge difference in my image.  I don't think I need to render it again as I was able to enhance the very faint highlights that were already in that second figure's eye, but were very faint.  Using that overlay technique really brings out some of the colors making them pop a little more!  I really liked how that made things look.  :)   I'll be uploading it to Zev0's thread as soon as I get dinner in the oven.  I really appreciate the tips!  I may even get to the point where I don't dread postwork! :)

• I'm glad that worked out KnittingMommy! Cool to hear success stories like that.

edited September 2016

Here's Owen once more enjoying Chinatown. I wanted to test out Stonemason's cloud product. So I threw one in behind Owen. I ended up having to blend it out, because it cast too much of a shadow. I will try again with that at some point.

Chinatown5.jpg
    1600 x 1422 - 3M
  • NovicaNovica Posts: 23,859

Chinatown looks good!  (And as always, love the bot too!) 

edited September 2016

Here's my Alien Render for the day. For those interested this is a converted M4 skin by Reciecup used on Gen 3 male with legacy UV product

Close Encounter.jpg
    1200 x 1371 - 1M
    edited September 2016

Here I wanted to try for a comic panel using DAZ Figures as a base. Here Owen's Grandfather informs him he is denied parole. But maybe next time alright? I decided to go for a painterly look here, using Topaz Labs filters. Since it is just a mockup I didn't want something highly detailed. Just enough to convey a story.

I realized after I rendered it, that I should've bought the prison when it was on sale. Ack! And I have a distinct lack of seniors for Genesis 3. Double Ack!

sorrygrandson.jpg
    1562 x 1672 - 1M
    edited September 2016

Okay here is my render for Interstellar Patrol Outfit. I really like the set. It is a nice practical suit, with a great helmet. I did encounter some clipping, however the adjustment morphs took care of it. Enjoy. =-)

Interstellar.jpg
    1400 x 1600 - 1M
  • Oh, that's very cool!  I haven't tried the suit yet.  Good to know that the adjustment morphs that were built in took care of the clipping.

• Thanks! I  wasn't keen on having to adjust clipping for such a mundane pose, but ohwell. At least I CAN adjust. I hope to see more texture expansions.

The Reciecup texture and render is amazing!  It's every bit as good as the ones they use on their opening page.

• Yeah, I love Reciecup alien textures. I tend to use them more than the human ones.

edited September 2016

Here's another Reciecup skin I coverted to Iray and used on Michael 7. I think this turned out rather nice, except the blurred markings on the forehead look a bit... Well Blurry. But I'm a sucker for mer-people and so wanted to try making something with a nautical theme.

Blue Alien.jpg
    1199 x 1370 - 1M
    edited September 2016

Well, I took the skin into photoshop and removed the brow ridge. I think the baked in highlights was the big problem for me. Anyway, this is a painterly version.

Sea Creature.jpg
    1199 x 1370 - 1M
  • I wasn't sure before, but seeing him without the brow ridge is definitely much better!  He looks great!  I really like the new look on the skin.

• Yeah, I like the skin. Wish more vendors would make alien skins. They really ad somthing to the gene pool I think.

edited September 2016

Here is Owen, clearing out the sewers of those pesky blind demons.....

Msewer2.jpg
    1500 x 1184 - 2M

Glad Owen is around to do it!  I agree about the brow ridge on the other figure, I like it better without it. Nice job!

edited September 2016

Here Owen rescues an injured Soldier Lee 7. I wanted to try shrinking down the little blind demons to about 50 percent their regular size. I think they turned out well.

09-27-2016 Last Stand.jpg
    1500 x 1688 - 2M

I like them that size. They don't overwhelm the scene, good call. 

• Those are awesome!   Shrinking them down for the second scene was brilliant.

• Yes, I think the Blind Demons look great shrunk down. Now if that product for creating clones goes on sale, I might have a little horde of them at some point!

edited September 2016

Here is Sayon M4 Skin used on Dash for Genesis 3, using the Legacy UV product.

I found the white skin to be a bit of a challenge light wise. It was easy to blow him out. I had fun enhancing his eyes making them glitter. I at first had the nipple ring on the right pec but decided mid render you could hardly see it so moved it over the to the red tatooed side.  The nipple ring is actual a nose ring.

dashx11.jpg
    1400 x 1575 - 2M
This discussion has been closed.